Who else fell for the meme of wanting to become a big-time scientist who made world-changing contributions...

Who else fell for the meme of wanting to become a big-time scientist who made world-changing contributions, only to find out that's way out of you're fucking league?

"i jus wnted 2 b like ernstein!!!1"

Anybody?

I'm pretty sure every single wannabe-physicist became interested in the field just for that. How do you have a fullfilling life knowing you'll never contribute anything of value?

I'm getting depressed, /sci/. I know I'm being a little bitch right now, but surely you know where I'm coming from. I've been studying less and less as of lately. I went from studying 12+ hours to less than one.

I don't want to study just to have some feeling of superiority over normies. I just want to find more beauty that's already been found. I'm just some NEET, my whole life has been nothing but a waste. I just want to be useful..

Attached: sad-pepe-640x480.jpg (640x480, 29K)

do something practical but where you also use science: electronics. Pick something in there that fits your bachelor:
biology/chem -> bioelectronics, biosensors, materials

math/physics -> signal processing, materials, controls

engineers -> design stuff, code stuff

I had the opportunity to work on the LIGO project over 8 years ago. I had a job offer and everything but it was pulled the last minute. Was never told why. Killed my dream. Fuck academia

>I just want to be useful
You can still be useful even if you don't know everything.
Try hanging out in /sqt/ for a while and helping other anons using what you already know. Getting into the habit of helping people can only help your personal growth in the long run.

>I just want to be useful
being useful doesn't equate to making groundbreaking discoveries in a field.

Seems like these days scientists don't make huge discoveries by themselves. They all contribute a bit to a huge project.

It looks like that because earlier scientists/scholars discovered easier things. If you take a look at more modern groundbreaking discoveries, you'll see it was not one man alone. The nuclear bomb was made many people, some of the greatest minds. As we already have discovered the relatively simpler things, we move on to more complex things that require the knowledge of multiple people who are experts in different fields.

i wanted to be an autistic genius the likes of John Nash.
Often, while studying outside, I see people playing frisbee and laying on the lawn. I think to myself, "How the hell do these stupid people expect to function later on in life?" Then it horrified me imagining if I were them.

Yeah it's all industrialized now.
You won't find this great mathematician now-a-days.
Everyone just specializes in a small little thing that contributes to the broader picture.

I used to. Then I realized I'm not smart enough to do that, and I have no desire to be some /sci/ version of a wagecuck. So I said "fuck it", and changed course. I'll finish my Physics degree, do my PhD on Nanotech/Biotech, and look into a start-up. Corporations are where the big money is.

wtf r u? a bernstein mug? pure science makes world changing contributions as long as u follow the scientific method & you know all known knowledge & keep up to date with others' research
that's like an engineer saying "I'm worthless cuz i don't run a multibillion $ multinational corp." you reap what u sow

Take CERN and Particle Physics as example

Particle Physicists wait years for a chance to join a team of hundreds of Physicists during few weeks to make a single experiment on CERN that likely won't discover anything special or new at all.

Huge discoveries are being made everyday but its so constant that its lost its allure.
>We found a new particle today guys
>Big deal we discovered one last month
>Oh :(

>I'll finish my Physics degree, do my PhD on Nanotech/Biotech, and look into a start-up. Corporations are where the big money is.
Elon Musk has BSc in physics
Musk dropped out Physics PhD at Stanford.
Becoming a billionaire later.

Attached: images(5).jpg (416x416, 17K)

I primarily changed to physics because i was sick of hearing "oh you must be lazy" when i told somebody i was studying sociology.

Now i am fairly good but its just not enough to be among the best...

>9694873 I went to cern for my undergraduate thesis. The measurement is set up and now collecting data. But you are right. I prob wont discover anything at all...

>tfw I am close to proving my first conjecture
feelsgoodman.jpeg

Attached: Tfw_fc708a_5656469.jpg (540x395, 15K)

>I had a job offer and everything but it was pulled the last minute. Was never told why.

It's because it's bullshit government "science".

I found out I'm not anywhere near as smart as I thought I was. Feels bad man.

Start studying flat earth and electromagnetism, that's where the real shit is. Not even trolling.

>wanting to become a big-time scientist who made world-changing contributions, only to find out that's way out of you're fucking league?
I wanted to do that, but then I found out that I was way out of the league of the people who tried to do it before me.

I don't want to be like Einstein

If I could just leave one small, humble contribution to human knowledge I'd die happy

I may have to settle for "well at least I never stopped trying to make discoveries."

I swear to fucking god if there's a school shooting and I miss getting killed because I'm somewhere else on campus I'm going to be really fucking mad.

Attached: fSSh7df.png (500x421, 80K)

>I just want to be useful..
here's why you'll never amount to anything. you care too much about society and other people's perception of you. you deserve to fail, fag

It took one person to discover gravity. The team that discovered the Higgs Boson was 700+ people.

I think it's a measure of how much more complex things are getting. All the low hanging fruit have been picked and now it's a new class of complexity. We can't even directly observe shit anymore, we gotta use statistical inference on supermassive datasets (terabytes of raw experimental data from state-of-the-art instruments).

The scary part is not knowing whether science can actually scale to meet this new horizon adequately. Who is actually peer reviewing the thousands of findings published each year? What's the signal to noise ratio of this knowledge and can it even be considered knowledge if there's too much of it to be useful?

Attached: lhc.jpg (577x362, 120K)

Knowledge doesn't mean anything until it can be utilized for practical purposes.

>CSfags are reading this thread with a smirk on their face because they think the technological singularity will happen and AI's will discover the rest of science's mysteries

Fuck them

Attached: peep.png (600x583, 273K)

What if someone invents some math and no one finds an application for 50 years? Was the meaningless during those five decades?
>NO

So the Scientist's job is to just discover true facts/information, no matter how useless and trivial? Seems unrelenting and pointless.

At least in CS we just fuck around with abstract structure and processes that we make up for the heck of it. It's like masturbation. So gratifying.

What if there is nothing that much more important to discover. If we can't get AI, it seems that science is stretching its evolutionary purpose already. The other big thing would be fusion, and other forms of engineering.