Do therapists help? asking for a friend

do therapists help? asking for a friend.

Attached: 1523596564802.gif (550x400, 1.5M)

If you have a friend then you don't need a therapist. They can help solve simple normie problems where all you really need is a more objective outside perspective. But for depression or any real mental issues you're fucked. Paying some prick over $100 just to talk won't help.

not at all no its just a meme to suck cash out of people with actual problems

Yes, they do. Just look up their track record and talk with their past clients if possible to make sure you're not ending with one of the many shitty ones.
The other guys are right that you don't NEED to pay an "expert" but it will help if you won't get an alternative.

No, don't bother.

Cognitive behaviour therapy is proven to work but it only does if you actually try.

Psychiatrists are memes, Psychologists help you help yourself.

No, stop paying these witch doctors especially those women who will only try to change you with shaming language.

I've had 5 and nothing happened. so they got tired of me and made me do ECTs. once I realized my memory was permanently fucked up, i stopped going and i stopped taking any medications.
dont waste your time

Attached: 1452655348398.jpg (711x620, 37K)

Helped me a lot. My state insurance paid for all of it so i figured i would try. Not perfect but much better

Did anything improve for having done ECT? Have you recovered at all from the memory stuff at all?

Not really, nothing's really changed in my mind. but hey, I haven't killed myself yet so idk.

There is a big gap in my memory, can't remember anything from last fall pretty much. Also I randomly forget things pretty frequently, which is pretty ironic considering i used to tease my friends for being so forgetful. lifes a bitch

I've got a therapist with a nice ass, body, face. little overweight but still good looking. It's great to have someone to talk to every thursday afternoon about my anxiety.

To the same degree that you are willing to follow their advice, and depending a bit on the patience you may have regarding the process.
They are not like a medic or surgeon in that they will give you a pill that you have to take for a certain time or perform a surgery on you and you'll be fine, they are more like guides. Also these are problems that might be deeply rooted in you and you might even be more confortable with them than you'd like to admit, so there's also that.

>ECTs
that's pretty extreme, did you have a nervous breakdown or something? I was always under the impression that electroconvulsive therapy was a last resort for someone undergoing extreme psychosis.

it sort of was a last ditch effort thing. I had been to 2 different wards, went through the therapists, and tried all kinds of different medications. none of it helped so they told me to do ECTs.

>last resort
so are lobotomies, and yet the kennedy's had one of their own lobomotize because she was bipolar and they didn't want her to embarrass them.

>it sort of was a last ditch effort thing.
yeah but did you make a suicide attempt? I can't imagine a procedure that does permanent brain damage is used unless something extreme called for it.

yeah and I was about to make a second

and they didn't try drugs beforehand?

I tried it for a couple of months but was hemorrhaging money, so I stopped. It didn't help, but that's largely because my problems are pretty deeply engrained, and also because I kept throwing out red herrings. If you want it to work you need to be completely, agonizingly open, like you've probably never been open with someone before. My head spun in a couple of sessions.

Not really
The only thing I got out of it was getting an official psych exam and diagnosis

yeah they did, refer to

not really and they cant even prescribe you drugs but they can refer you to someone that can i guess.

have you tried using MDMA?

A therapist really helps. Everyone has tough times and they need someone to listen but, if your emotional cup is fluiding the room you may need to learn how to manage your stress or just disapate your greive on an biase person by talking it out with your therapist. They are working for you. They are suppose to help feel better by changing your cognitive behavior so you can function better. Sometimes a friends help is just not enough.

uhh...no. does that help depression? I heard it causes it

>only try to change you
How do you expect to get better if you dont change?

Every psychiatrist and therapist I've ever met was human garbage who made everything worse until they eventually found a decent med mix
Like I had someone tell me to do CBT by just giving me a form that was too small to write on and write down all my intrusive thought even though
1) my handwriting is shit and I told him that
2)I have like 50 intrusive thoughts in 5 minutes
and 3) He didn't give me any more direction then that
Suffice to say the next time I say him I just screamed at him until he fucked off and I have not had to deal with that fucker since but I still get my meds.
I get pissed just thinking about that stupid asshole and how he never said anything of value.

Attached: Capture26.png (334x326, 142K)

It depends, the problem nowadays I think is that people simply don't lack other people that they can freely talk to about everything.
A therapist that actually spends some time understanding you, is actually able to make you feel like an actual human being for once. Atleast that was my experience with therapists.

Eh I scratch that one don't.

Only if you're a normalfag and your biggest problem is that you feel a bit sad because your cat died.

a handful of studies have show it can potentially work on some people when everything else has failed, and if not that at the very least it can be used recreationally to be able to at least experience some joy in ones life if they come to the conclusion that it will never get better.

do you have any personal experiences with it?

It's nice to have someone to open up with and talk to, go for it.

personally no, its never gotten so bad for me that I had to use even legal drugs,I'm depressed but not suicidal.
though I have come anecdotal claims looking through drug forums(morbid curiosity I personally don't do any drug),some people there claimed it cured them, some claimed that while it didn't outright cure them it did provide them with a new perspective on life as it allowed them to experience even if just temporarily what its like to be happy, what its like to be normal. Those people most likely know more about it than I do so they'd be the people to ask about their personal experience with it.

for it to work you have to actually be willing to make changes. to make changes you need to be in a position to make changes. if you were in a position to make changes you wouldnt NEED a therapist
so unless youre a girl thats slightly upset then no