/Running General/

Who here /running/??
How many miles a week?
What kind of pace do you keep in a 5k?
What kind of shoes are you currently running?
My current ones are these nike flex 2017's

Attached: runrun.jpg (395x221, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

acsm.org/docs/brochures/running-shoes.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=_8Q0qRu7CSE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Running around 20k a week.
I’m slow -30 min 5k.
Run in brooks adrenaline.

15 miles a week.
I can run a 5k in under 30 minutes.
Shoes don't really matter unless you are trying to compete or something.
I usually get whatever running shoes are on discount at the store.

how do you recover faster on running. any supps?

>mfw tried to run in Chucks

Attached: 1522449818633.jpg (729x760, 320K)

>brooks
i like those, i almost got some launch 5's the other day but they were just slightly too padded, i prefer more minimalist shoes like the nikes in pic. very flat, low padding, very light.

yea they dont matter too much, but i run 40-50 miles a week, plus lots of time on an elliptical so i try to get the most comfortable ones i can find.
my best 5k was 19:15. by no means competitive in speed, but i can run half and full marathons with a good pace as well

how did that work for you
anything hurt?

30-40km/week
Normal 5k pace is somewhere around 4:30-4:45/km.
I run Brooks. Had a lot of foot and leg issues when I was like "shoes don't really matter" and bought the el cheapo. Did a bit of research and shelled out $100 for decent Brooks, it fixed everything.

Yes, my extensor tendons hurt like hell. Now I have both running shoes and lifting shoes in my bag.

running injuries are the worst.
i broke my ankle multiple times when i was younger while skateboarding, and since then i've always gotten an anterior ankle impingement feeling.
its not actual impingement, and it never gets worse, but its always there.

Currently running around 20 miles a week in Mizuno Wave Riders.

Attached: mizuno-men-s-wave-rider-21-running-shoes-quiet-shade-silver-10-d-us-mens-quiet-shade-silver-f216-600 (600x285, 31K)

>How many miles a week?
I try to go for 30km ie 18.6 miles
>What kind of pace do you keep in a 5k?
idk, probably 24mins or 23:30

>What kind of shoes are you currently running?
shit-tier lowest priced shoes from generic sport manufacturer

Attached: 1381664561389.png (500x730, 137K)

>2018
>not running barefoot as god intended

op here, i want to buy some vibrams to get closer to running barefoot, but i cant find them in any stores and ordering shoes online sounds like a bad idea.

Shoes can matter. Higher quality shoes will last longer. I also have wide feet so shoe manufacturers generally only offer their most popular models in EE width.

Find a specialty running store or outdoor store. They usually carry Vibram products and can help you get fitted.

How to avoid achilles tendon pain when barefoot running?

So guys how do I improve my running speed?
I was able to run almost 12km (7,45645 miles) in 1hour but I"d like to improve
How? should I do HIIT?

Attached: 1523151059646.jpg (1600x900, 571K)

>mfw shin splints

Attached: 1371587005587.png (385x393, 109K)

acsm.org/docs/brochures/running-shoes.pdf
Read that if you want to be redpilled on running shoes.
tl;dr: Buy shoes with a low (or zero) heel-drop. Avoid excessive heel-support. Avoid "motion-control" or "stability" shoes, they are not evidence based to reduce injury and they may actually increase injury.

Attached: Altra_Escalante.png (395x220, 130K)

I meant "arch-support" not heel support

fucked up knee from running on road in shitty shoes, which one to buy for hard surface? anything ultraboost?

Do you land on your heels when running?

my ultraboost feel good running on the concrete trail in my neighborhood, but I'm a noob so I'd like to know too.

make sure your heel touches the ground each step. Increase your cadence.

new shoes or more rest bruh

5k in like 25 min when i run with "high speed" or intensly

like 15 miles a week atm

Attached: adidas-ultra-boost-women[1].jpg (900x959, 43K)

i've thought about getting some ultraboosts
i hear they're great
how do you like them

i've had quite a bunch of different shoes, some cheap some expensive. None of them comes close to ultra boost, atleast for me personally. I have pretty weird feet tho(broad as fuck).

i just love them, only thing that feels a bit weird when you are new to them is that they are kinda "loose fit" compared to other shoes at the same size.

What are the best running shoes, anons?

If you want cushioning: Altra Escalante or Saucony Kinvara
Less cushioning and lighter: Nike Zoom Streak LT
Minimalist: Merrell Trail Glove

Brookfag here. I do 40k a week with 10k on 4 consecutive days then 3 days of rest. I run my 10 k in 1 hr (+-1min).

Attached: brooks-men-s-neuro-metallic-charcoal-electric-blue-lemonade-nightlife-sneaker-8-d-m-mens-gray-af64-6 (600x283, 23K)

honestly depends what you like - definitely recommend going into professional running shop and spending time in there trying a bunch of shoes to see what you like.

Personally i run in the Nike pegasus, but race in Asics. Some shoes are better for heel strikers and others better if you're a mid/forefoot striker (like me).

people who run have shitty, unimpressive physiques. prove me wrong, runners.

>How many miles a week?
70-90 km/week
>5k pace?
About 20 min or less, but I rarely run that short
>I switch between a pair of On Cloudflow and the New York Marathon New Balances

Running my first 5 miler in two weeks, so currently getting ready for that.

Eating almonds and using a foam roller

I did 12 miles yesterday and 8 (so far) today. 60 miles a week atm, but I want to get back to my high school 150 miles a week. Brooks Ghost 10 and Asic Gel Nimbus 20 are my current shoes.
If I get to the right pace, hours go by in minutes and I stop when my feet get sore. I only get shin splints when I run with shit form (mainly foot landing ahead of body). 5k pace is around 22:45.

how do you guys manage those 5k paces? my uni treadmill's max is 12km/hr pace and that's still pretty fast for me..

My best would be a solid 27mins for 5k... I'm wondering if all these dudes saying 19-21 minutes are bs

It's all about mixing long runs with speedwork in a healthy way. I also play a lot of soccer and always have, so I've got some explosive speed from that. This is me btw ->

Running on a treadmil only is a horible way to improve time btw, and it also destroys your knees

0k per week
Probably would have like an hour 5k

but it's good because it's not letting me slow down and it keeps me with a good pace, when I go for a run in the park I just lower my speed without even noticing

why the knee damage? these days everything damages ur knees lmao

It's bad because you really can't push yourself at all, you are stuck in a static pace.

most people who run, that arent competing, dont try to increase their speed, they just trod along and are happy with distance.

In any larger 10k race there will be a few hundred people between 36 and 40 min/10 k, so 20 minute 5 k really shouldn't be that unbelievable

you can just increase the speed and be done with it, it'll be constant and you can actually maintain it

did a 10km fun run yesterday lads

How do you guys balance lifting with running? Do you lift and run on the same days, and which do you do first?

>I want to get back to my high school 150 miles a week
Wtf? Wouldn't you have to run a near-marathon every day?

Wave Rider 21s here too. Great shoe.

15 miles on averages per week.

I'm on the treadmill increasing my pace, but I'll be outside doing longer runs when the weather gets better.

20 minutes is pretty common for someone who run a lot.
Probably less realistic for someone who also lifts unless they spend most of their free time training

30 miles every weekday, so more than one a running day.

You'd have to pay serious attention to your recovery then. What do you do for a living that gives you the time to do that?

Is barefoot/minimalist running a meme or not? I mean, humans evolved to be able to run long distances and it's not like hunters were wearing shoes when they were hunting.

I want to try it but I'm probably too much of a fatass for it at 6'3 and 220 lbs

Barefoot? Absolutely meme-tier. Invention is in many ways the next logical step after evolution, and shoes were invented because the ground has all kinds of shit that will seriously fuck you up.

Minimal is less of a meme, but don't put too much stock in "evolutionary perfection." This is just how our feet happened to be when we got smart. Who knows what they could've evolved into if human knowledge didn't essentially eliminate natural selection.

I have run 20.3 miles in the past four days, roughly five miles per day.

I still feel like a fat piece of shit.

I'm doing this because my doctor told me to lose weight.

>and it also destroys your knees

Wrong retard, running on a treadmill is actually better for your knees because the plastic treadmill deck is more springy than concrete or dirt. That said, it's a moot point because unless you're running crazy milage like 150mpw there is no evidence that running hurts your knees. Competitive cycling and (no joke) weighlifting are the real knee killers

Did abut 50k this week, including long run today of 29k

5k PR is 21:20, but I could probably only crank out a 23minute one this week

Shoes: Hoka Bondi 5.

Run about 15-20 miles a week
I run about 22 minutes on a 5k
Use ultraboost to run pretty comfy and lessens the strain on the feet for me at least

Is the joint fucking a meme? What should i expect from running overweight?

I had 2 pr of the original boost, loved them, but ultra boost I could never get it to comfortable, always pinched. Great cushion though.

ya kinda need perfect form, and lighter is better, just to protect your feet from ground forces.
Use the technology. skip the hype

Have you tried a pair of the 3.0's? They have a bit of a looser fit if the earlier models feel too tight, problem is the 4.0's just came out and most stores I've been to don't carry 3.0's anymore but you can find them online for pretty cheap on stockx or goat

I've been running 2-3 miles 3x a week for a few months now and have seen no improvement on my 1.5mile time (a pathetic 16 minutes, not even sustained) but ran a 15:50 sustained 2 weeks ago, and a 14:34 with interruptions 1 week ago, but I'm worried in that I'm only 2 months away from my shipdate. I'm going on a more rigid diet, but what should I do to assure I'm going to make it? Switch to HIIT? Increase my distance and just do run/walk because I can't run anything farther than that? Would really appreciate some type of plan or something to help me make it in 8 weeks.

>Increase my distance and just do run/walk because I can't run anything farther than that?
This. The most essential thing for new runners is to keep increasing distance. Walking breaks are a great method to do this.

So my goal should be to increase distance with every run using run/walk cycles instead of just running as far as I can, skipping HIIT/Sprints/Intervals for now?

Just clocked 10km for the first time, 54:57, feels good need to brag

this is a very average time unless your route included lots of hills and stuff

Am I right when I say that no one should be a heel striker? isn't it objectively dangerous style?

Holy shit this is the scrubbiest running thread I've seen on fit. If you can't hit 5:30 miles or 19:00 5k then whew.

That said, I haven't done either of those for a while (except 5:30 on a treadmill is, because it's piss easy) because my hip got btfo at some point.

Anyways fuck running, everyone knows lightweight indoor rowing is the patrician sport that won't slay your joints

I know it's average, it was my first attempt

What music do you like to listen to while running?
That is, if you even listen to music in the first place.

no music for me

>get minor shin splints
>hmm, I think my shoes need replacing
>buy slightly pricier model from same brand, one size up from the last one because I read that's a thing, take a week off
>do short run at easy pace
>splints, almost get blisters due to foot moving around
>take a week off, exchange shoes for a size down
>short, easy run
>almost blisters again
Think I'll just switch back to the same model as my first pair of shoes

What do the almonds do?

5km per week
22min 5k
Brooks something 2013

Every Friday before work I crank out a run just to start my weekend of right

>wide, somewhat flat feet
Any budget shoe recommendations? I run on pavement/road mostly. No trails near where I live. There's a proper running track about 2 km from my house, but the thought of going round and round bores me to tears. I also have a reservoir with a circumference of about 5km about 3 km from my place, and even that was kind of boring

Been digging Big Black's Atomizer recently. Also looking around for a playlist of Initial D music, shit's fun as fuck to run to. Kinda feels like there's a crowd cheering for my slow-ass self

I've been wanting to give the Altras a shot, but do they work well for big and heavy runners? I'm this guy and I've been using cheapo Nike shoes up until now, but now when I have some more dosh I want to buy some better shoes.

My local store have the Altra Duo and the Altra Torin 3, which are better if I want the most cushioning? I'm an aspiring long distance runner, I want to be able to run at least 15-20 kilometer runs, but right now I'm just trying to build mileage.

I usually start out by listening to podcasts to make the time pass, then when I need to kick things into the next gear I usually listen to synthwave/eurobeat/metal. This song makes me feel like I can run straight through a brick wall when I put it on in my final kilometer.

youtube.com/watch?v=_8Q0qRu7CSE

I run 10 km in 50 min 2-3 times a week for 17 years, i use a low cheap shit shoes broken for everywhere for years, it hurts my feets every time but i never remember buy a new ones

Attached: 20180329_113902.jpg (438x536, 37K)

Yes but no one is stupid enough to run only on concrete I hope. And the monotony of running on a treadmill screws with your joints more than running in trails or woods does

I went to a running store and asked for the ultra boosts and they just looked at me and said "Uhm that's more of a sneaker, not really suited for running longer distances" so I've been afraid of trying them ever since. How are they?

If you're just getting started, just try to get miles in your legs. Wether it be walking or running, getting time on feet is more important than speed work

Congrats user! That's not a bad first time, keep it up!

It's not about what you should do, and more about what you're body does naturally for you when you run. Some are just more prone to be heelstrikers, and should therefore use equipment more suited for that. But you're right, no one is better of as a heel striker

Replenish muscle glycogen

Once you've found a model that really works for you it's good to just stick to it more often than not. But sometimes you don't realise how worn out your shoes are until you get new ones, so be aware of that

Laney Bump

Attached: FM2SB_PR.jpg (512x512, 55K)

What do you guys eat on a long run? Going to have to replenish some calories on my 50 miler but I really don't know what to bring

>make sure you heel touches the ground
Yes. But you don't want to hit the ground with you heel. This will put pressure on it and damage you knees and hip. Hit the ground with your for and middle part of you foot. This way the weight of you body is distributed throughout your foot and not the heel. That's why increased cadence means less resistance.
Also make sure your foot is under your body when you hit the ground instead of infront. Your knee should act like a suspension that softens the impact. Activate your glutes when you step off the the ground.

running is absolutely retardo. use a spin bike instead. save your body.

Pussy

>doing cardio
>ever

GO OUTSIDE

No. Your body is made to run. It's one of the main reasons humans stand up right. It activates the muscles that support the spine. Sitting and biking is rather damaging for you spine.

>Is the joint fucking a meme?

Not if you're a fatty. The human body wasn't designed to carry any serious amount of weight in excess of what your frame naturally holds.

It's all relative bro. Bragging about a 19 minute 5k and 5:30 mile (nothing special for regular runners, not even race pace for elite half and full marathoners) is possibly even scrubbier than posting about a 20 minute 5k PR (a decent newbie landmark).

got my 5k down to 26 mins. not fantastic but not terrible either. feels breddy good.

Got a pair of 10yo vibrams, still as good as new. Barefoot is god tier, after adaptation. I don't feel my knees at all, only freedom and joy.

Nice job user, keep it up!

Vibrams are great, but it takes time to get used to them, pain included. But the main benefit - you just stop feeling your knees. At all. It feels so good and natural, like you discover type of running you've never experienced.
You don't know what you are talking about, and evolution doesn't work the way you described.