Tell me about the online communities you've been apart of. The ones you're in now, the ones that have been and gone...

Tell me about the online communities you've been apart of. The ones you're in now, the ones that have been and gone, the ones you miss.

>played private WoW server a lot (nostalrius)
>would get up early hours to raid with the lads from /vg/
>bants, a lot of fun, chilled out atmosphere most of the time
>it gets shut down
>we've all fizzed off and done our own things years later

I miss it, but I'm glad it went quickly than a slow death that most communities do.Part of a few really comfy GMod servers now though :)

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 144K)

cool post dude!
original comment

Attached: 1526560191710.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

>part of a guild in maplestory
>get bored one day, make girl character
>add the character and destroy it from the inside
>have a convincing girl voice on ventrilo
>get junior position and kick a bunch of people
>do the same shit on other small servers in different games

I think I find some joy in destroying people's happiness, some self-analyzing and it probably has to do with abandonment issues.

not a game, but I was apart of a fairly small mental health forum\chat room for a few years. We would have movie and gaming nights and everyone became fairly close to each other.

Site got shut down, lost contact with everyone over the years :(

None, nobody would like me there anyway

Attached: 1526767149780.png (808x805, 233K)

my first internet experience was the funnyjunk forums circa 2002

I wonder what happened to those people sometimes

Maybe you should shove that cringe compilation up your ass you fucking cocksucker

I used to play multiplayer mod of vice city and GTA3 when I was young every single day and was part of a clan. I dont talk to any of them anymore besides a 40-50 something year old drug addict who has more life stories than I care to hear about.

>play various MMOs a lot over the past 15 years
>make no friends and become a part of no communities because I'm an anxious loser who speaks maybe one sentence a month

>me
>starts playing Guild Wars 2
>having fun
>hits level 80
>i suddenly have no idea what to do
>fuck around in the little alien floating cube city (i forgot the name, ok)
>suddenly a bunch of little aliens are dancing around me and calling me "the big scary kitty"
>my character is a huge charr with glowing red eyes
>i screw around with them for a bit
>they invite me to their guild
>i accept, after a month i become the mascot of the guild
>time goes by
>expansion comes out
>can't afford it
>all of my guildmates are playing the new expansion, i barely get to play with them
>i feel a bit less invested
>play less and less
>people are wondering where i am
>i leave unceremoniously

i heard later that the guild got disbanded. dont know why, never knew why.

I grew up on the first Deus Ex game multiplayer community. Like grew up there, from age 8 until 16 those forum posters were the only people I talked to, my role models, my entire life and anything that interested me revolved around it. I never cared about my outside life one bit and I saw school like a chore. I didn't have any real friends. But I shared some really good moments with those people. Now all the forums are dead and the community is gone, obviously. Most people moved on.

Attached: Stella_.jpg (500x429, 126K)

>DXMP
What the fuck, I thought I was the only one. Which clan were you in?

>2009 me, was like 13 year old
>make roblox account
>no idea what im doing
>join a random game
>its a cool looking military base
>i explore a bit
>soldiers are guarding the entrance and are telling me to stop moving, they ask me what im doing here
>i say i got lost
>they show me around and ask me if i'd like to join
>i accept
>i go to trainings, raids and other events with the clan
>1 year later, i become 3rd general
>people consider me a war hero (it was a serious/rp clan)
>the leader and subleader are starting to grow up from roblox
>they give leadership to 2nd general
>2nd general sells the whole clan to some random guy and leave forever
>whole clan is breaking apart
>ffs

Attached: 1515310120716.jpg (300x321, 112K)

Alpha

Small world. I remember the community being small back then as well, the odds of finding another player on here of all places is astonishing.

Been in the same online community for 6 years. Basically everyone who I knew at the start has left and been replaced with new people. Makes me sad to think of all the people I've stopped talking to.

Disgusting. Of course it has to be an [A]faggot. I'll never forget that shitty attempt to ruin DXMP with that crash program scraped from UT. Complete faggotry, crashing every server that isn't your own. You were a blight on the master server and I'm glad your community is dead.

I used to have a few good online friends when I played Xbox 360 2008-2015, I met most of them on GTA 4 and gradually lost contact when they moved to the next generation of consoles and I built a PC instead. I miss the good times we had.

Back in the dark ages of minecraft modding I played on cracked servers. Shit fucking sucked but I was a poor teenager who couldn't actually buy the game. The servers were full of dumb poor teenagers like me and the admins were always corrupt, but you just had to suck it up because there were hardly any cracked modded servers to choose from.

I think you have it confused, the clan never crashed any server. That was the work of some guy from Slovenia.

One of the longest periods in my internet history was when Trouble in Terrorist Town for Gmod came out. I went from server to server just playing the gamemode and having a load of fun, but I ran into this one server that I really liked for some reason. I was young at the time and Gmod was my only game on Steam so I played nothing but TTT on this particular server every day after school for God knows how long. I knew everyone on the server, knew when they got on, talked to them about their day, etc. Eventually there was a falling out with the main server staff and the server just upped and disappeared. I talked with some of the friends I made over Steam chat but the relationships sorta just faded away. Makes me happy and sad at the same time when I think back on it.

Attached: 1526739321156.jpg (361x492, 40K)

I joined a Finnish humour site called Naurunappula in late 2009. The place already had a prospering community, into which I managed to make somewhat of a name for myself. I was even featured in the unofficial 2011 community screensaver(pic related, I'm the orange above black Jesus)
It was my first proper foray into internet and meme culture. From there I found other sites like Jow Forums and kuvalauta in 2010.
I sort of drifted away from it around 2014 when I started to use Jow Forums more and more and the website was shut down in 2017. Lots of memories of that place. Rip Nauris 2007-2017

Appelsiinimies, tehokayttaja

Attached: naurunappula 2011 tautsakuva.png (1250x937, 1.86M)

There was a period from 2008 - 2011 where I was part of a large group of real life and online friends that played call of duty, runescape, WoW, dota, CS and some other games here and there. (Not all at once, our focus changed periodically)
Between our various guilds and clans I got to know hundreds of people over those years.

Havent played online games for 7 years now. Havent really felt much joy since then either.

lmao I bet you've never even had sex nerd

>singlehandedly ruined /vp/'s little PokeMMO project after playing for a few weeks with a friend and becoming everyone's buddy
>singlehandedly ruined the Nuzlocke General on /vp/ after chumming up with the oldfags for a few DAYS
I don't feel bad about these because /vp/ autists are powderkegs, and ruining those groups was really just a matter of exposing one person's autism in each group and watching the lemmings fly off the cliff
>played Transformice with several /v/irgins back during the last big /v/ community, probably 5 years ago. Probably the best community I've ever played anything in
>Was active for a short time in Destiny General during Destiny 1's early months, fell off when all hope for the game died but I 'lead' a VoG Raid that will live in infamy in the minds of my compatriots
>am now active in Halo Online General playing El Dewrito, but the lack of quality content is straining the amount of time I spend playing

I used to be part of a minecraft community back when minecraft was at it's peak popularity in it's beta days. Eventually I just stopped playing because my interest in minecraft diminished. The people there were pretty great and I would probably start a discord server with them if I had gotten their contact information before I left.
There was also a good Team Fortress 2 community I was apart of and it was fun to go on there and fuck with wacky maps and shit. Though in the end I got banned because I liked to fuck with a moderator there (he was basically a manchild who cried at video games over the mic) which resulted in me getting banned. For some reason sticky jumping with the ullapoolcaber, killing him in one hit, and kill binding as I'm launched in the air from my own attack really set him off magically. I don't regret what I did and I'd do it as many times as I could just to hear his tears.

You guys remember that Jow Forums minecraft server where every board had their island?

My first community was playing fucking star wars battlefront 1 the original, clan matches and tournaments and talking to people on xfire.

Snipers, and Rockets only throwing grenade into the ground and sticking them. Lot of memories from this. Also the first time i pretended to be a guy

Attached: 70164_2.jpg (1024x768, 170K)

Ha! Transformice.

I've been playing that game for 8 years now. Want to get back to Nostalrius through Elysium soon and get a proper immersive experience again.

This reminded me of something I did in Bera way back.

>join guild
>roastie guild leader falls for me really hard
>guild at this point is capped with people with really nice alliances
>get her information since i could get her third job since she'll never train
>have huge falling out
>disband alliance and kick everyone from guild
>ignore messages from her from then on
>remakes guild same success months later
>never changed password
>do it again

Attached: 1526341250949.png (1360x767, 1.42M)

>Also the first time i pretended to be a guy
Thread derailed. Congratu-fucking-lations, you have a vagina god you're so special. Kill yourself.

oh shit you ever played with the /v/ group?

gmod and mumble origi

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 113K)

Was apart of the old group of original The Secret World players before Funcom "revamped" the game by making it pay to win and locking features behind a paywall.
Literally, 90% of the old players left due to how they treated us. We kept the game alive for years and they backstabbed us for some quick cash.
You used to be able to join as a nooby, and the vets would gladly go out of their way to help you learn the game and have fun. Now if you ask for help you just get told to fuck off.

Attached: White_Rabbit_Lorepic.jpg (420x524, 49K)

OP here. I lost a great TTT community I was in too. Everyone was chilled. Always populated but a solid core of regulars.

The guy hosting it just lost interest. Over a year it went from super popular to slowly dying. That was worse, watching people slowly leave until it was just me.

I've found another TTT community I frequent on now but it's not the same. And I've been a part of enough to be okay when they end now. But I get you. I had months on that TTT server.

>WoW mythic/heroic guild
>Minecraft server where I was well known

If you had names like v1 , v2 ,v3 I have. Never connected the dots but it would make sense now.

Interesting community nowadays too but I really have to move on. There are surprisingly many strung out adults on there who just afk on the game all day.

WoW raiding guild in vanilla WoW. Miss those 40 man raids.

Forums of a video streaming link search engine back in 2006-2009. Especially the anime subforum, we had a great fucking time watching all the best shows of the era. So much fun. I really miss those days. Haven't been there in years, but I know the site is down now. RIP alluc

Also Crunchyroll forums, briefly in 2007-2008.

Discovered Jow Forums in 2008 and I haven't been a part of any other online communities since. I miss being a part of a group of people sometimes, having friends you talk to regularly, having discussions instead of just shitposts, but I don't know where the fuck I'd go to find that these days.

Attached: Alluc-Logo.png (773x604, 110K)

I don't remember, I'm pretty sure when I played we only had one main room but I don't remember what they were named.

Vanilla private servers sound promising. The more professional ones at least.

>online communities
I'd count the tsuki project as a communitie. Great times

Except we've all been playing on other servers ever since you retard

One which springs to mind is an old electronics forum I used to post on a regular basis.

It was comfy for many years but the admin started giving much of the duties over to mods so it turned into a dick sucking contest and new comers were frequently disheartened by rude STEM autists telling them to use the search function or calling their questions dumb.

Didn't help there being a "who donated" list on the side, people on that list were basically preferred members.

I knew a guy who went there and he's been married, divorced and started a family with a new partner. A lot's changed since the says of funnyjunk.

Since I was homeschooled the only people I knew were from online communities that would come and go for years. Everything from drama to people moving on and ghosting.

But the last online community I was in was the brony fandom back in 2012.

What defines someone "moving on" online? How does it start? Do they just gradually show up less and less?

>No replies because r9k is a cia normalfag ridden shitfest
GET OFF MY FUCKING BOARD, NORMGROLS!!!!!!!

i was never a member of any community but i remember frequenting a ton of half life/half life 2 mod communities that are dead/defunct now, specifically gmod servers
i remember going on d3vine rp for a while. i also remember garry used to have a blog where he'd actually post shit and advertise servers, i remember frequenting cosmo's rp server after it was advertised on his blog, sometime around the passing of neil armstrong (that's the only autistic reason why i remember it)
i remember going on a lot of zombie escape servers on css when that was still alive, think it was sG gaming
oh, and i remember going on the dude who made a hat in time's old tf2 mod server
i guess i did a lot, cause there's more floating in the back of my head

>tfw not born in country like finland where everyone is autistic and good internet culture

Attached: 21b2b2e879289e515e553f5372d974c6.jpg (601x508, 27K)

Yeah they just get a bit bored of the game. Usual culprit is another game comes out and a couple of people move to it, but if they're popular enough they'll take a lot of friends from the server with them.