Just tried steak for the first time, idk what i expected; just tastes like meat. dont you think its over hyped?

Just tried steak for the first time, idk what i expected; just tastes like meat. dont you think its over hyped?

Attached: Anova-Steak-Guide-Sous-Vide-Photos15-beauty-1500x1125.jpg (1500x1125, 323K)

Chicken > Steak

Get at me steakfags

Stay away from red meat.

I much prefer burgers. I think is overrated as far as meat dishes go. I'd much rather any chicken dish.

>Just tried steak for the first time
are you 2?

what the fuck?

What kind of steak did you try, and at what temperature?
Highest tier steak is filet medium rare.

how did you not eat steak before?

I had a rump, medium rare

im poor

Steak and a baked potato is the best meal for gains on the planet.

If it wasnt that good it was probably low tier steak. How much did you pay for it?

even poor families could afford some steak from aldi on the weekends, are you american

then get the fuck off of Jow Forums and learn a skill that will get you better steak, faggot

Chicken, broccoli, rice and no gains faggot detected

I paid £2.80
I live in the uk but our family buys quantity > quality

Smoked brisket is bettrt

Finally some sanity.

Been getting by on chicken, pork, and fish l8ly. Next steak I make is going to be heavenly.

Listen up faggots you always do the following:
>apply salt and pepper to raw steak
>let it sit at room temp for exactly 45min
>get a pan very hot, my stove burner goes to 6 and I put it on 5
>stick a pat of butter directly under the steak as you set it in the pan
Cooking time depends on the type of steak but generally you're looking at 2min/side, maybe 2:30 on the first and 2 on the second. 3/2:15 tops, that would be for like a thicc 1lb T-bone.

what is this shit... nobody corrects faggt op??
steak is just a way to cook/present the meat, there is not some animal cut called "steak".
>pic fucking related.
also, sirloin is the best "steak"

Attached: Steak.jpg (715x477, 136K)

Poorfag go get some nice steak from a restuarant. Not some horse meat a paki is selling out of his fiat.

Bro get out of here with your pedantics, everyone knows what hes talking about when he says steak.

It's just food, what did you expect?
People who overhype food are, usually, idiots. >OMG steak OMG bacon OMG OMG OMG
it's just food. Same goes for being pretentious over coffee and stuff like that

Will chicken, broccoli and rice really get me no gains? I cook it heaps.

You had a shit cut. That's why.

Fellow bong here. It is overrated, I was fortunate enough to try a steak at a five star restaurant. Had it medium rare, served wae a few boiled tatties and some veg. It was nice, but a far cry from what some people make it out to be.
I’ve tried veal, various cuts including the meme T-bone and I’ve never felt genuinely impressed by any of them.
A wee angus beefburger from Aldi is better than a shitey steak.

/ck/ tip: This stuff will make even cheap steak taste like heaven.
Also excellent on all kinds of other things, burgers, salmon, vegetables.

Attached: 112150000052.png (300x300, 75K)

I'd be willing to bet the paki horse might be tastier. Steak is DEAD EASY to cook. Literally salt and it's good. You can get fancy and use pepper too, garlic powder, whatever. But literally salt and cook it and it's delicious. 90% of the time I order steak at a restaurant, it's overcooked and tastes like cardboard that's been boiled in water. They forgot SALT. The one ingredient crucial to a good steak. I now order my steaks "rare and tell the cook to salt the hell out of it". It usually comes medium-rare to medium and actually the proper amount of salt.

>everyone knows what hes talking about when he says steak
NO, there is abysmal differences between cuts.

really good steaks essentially do just taste like pretty good meat.
I agree its over hyped but i just like meat

The key to a good steak is marbling, aka fat throughout the meat. Most steak anymore sucks a fat dick and has no marbling. IDK if it's the breed of cows or how they feed them now, but decent steak is hard to find. Fats and salt = flavor. Super lean steaks fucking suck, even if you cut the fat off that's around the edge, you need that fat to flavor the meat.

This is probably why you like hamburger, it literally has the fat ground up and spread throughout, meaning it has fat so you just need salt to make flavor.

Oh the meat quality and preparation makes a difference for sure. Steak is nice when cooked right, but it get’s overplayed. People acting like they just jizzed there pants about how good the steak was, but I suppose it’s all subjective. You could be given the perfect steak but if you hate beef you’re not going to enjoy it.

my steak recipe
>pink sea salt
>garlic powder
>cayenne pepper

throw it in a pan with a little olive oil and it's a great steak. can't wait for grill season

I love a three quarters steak. Makes many meals better

It will give you hella gains, you could sub rice for something else tho

Top sirloin is objectively more flavorful.

Wrong. Ribeye at medium is best.

>go to restaurant
>order one od the easiest dishes to prepare
Ya retard pay 60 bucks for something that can made at home for 20 at most.
If you're going out, you might as well eat something that requires a professional's skill to prepare.

Like what? I've been thinking of using something else recently because muh carbs. A vegetable or something?

Steak can range from tasting like sawdust all the way up to to tasting like heaven. If you weren't surprised, then the steak you had was not properly cooked.

Try good steak like a Rib Cap and only medium rare or less

listen to this guy OP if you want to be small forever

Not the same user, but I eat chicken, broccoli, and potatoes instead of rice.

Attached: 1521928381801.jpg (1200x2049, 528K)

How do you cook/prepare the potatoes? Bit new to cooking. Potato macros/nutrition does look a helluva lot better than rice. I'll definitely try them out next time.

>not enjoying the patricians steak with your eggs

Attached: prod_angus-steak[1].png (466x392, 281K)

ITT: fucking plebs

well-made steak is god tier, and anyone who says it's overhyped has simply never had a good one. The main points:
1. animal - genetics, environment, and diet all play a role in the quality and marbling of beef, so choose accordingly.
2. cut - pieces of the rib section (ribeye, strip, filet, or combinations thereof) are the most tender and have the most marbling.
3. dry brining - makes a huge difference if you get it right
4. cook it hot - the gradient of peak temperature gives you that flavorful tenderness in the middle with the crispy seared surface that is so satisfying. A grill with natural charcoal is ideal, but a cast iron is more than enough
5. medium rare - well-done steak destroys the flavor that makes high end beef god tier
6. no meme seasoning - season with black pepper after it cooks (to not burn the black pepper) and cook some aromatics (garlic, shallots, rosemary) in the pan, drizzling them on the steak at some point, but remove before eating. Keep it simple, a good cut of beef should carry itself.
7. rest - let the steak sit covered for 5 minutes after you take it off to let heat from the surface diffuse to the core instead of being radiated when you cut it open immediately

The process takes some calibration, but it's really not that complicated, and you can save yourself a 70% markup at a restaurant. Spare 3-4 iterations on something not too expensive. Nothing is worse than fucking up a $28 steak into inedible garbage.

Attached: 1fb1ddf2-3431-48dd-9176-443720b09aad.jpg (3600x2880, 2.35M)

where the fuck do you live that all restaurants don't salt their steaks

>patrician
>comes in a box
the plebest plebs of them all, are those that think they're patricians.

seems you ate a cheap steak or cooked it improperly. it is somewhat overhyped because there is more stuff out there but it doesn't "just tastes like meat"

t. julia child

but i agree

Pretty much completely wrong. Filet is the most tender, but one of the most flavorless. Sirloin and Ribeye are arguably the tastiest cuts

>just tastes like meat
Try a prime New York Strip cut cooked black-and-blue with a light seasoning of only salt and crushed peppercorn and get back to me. Nothing surpasses the natural flavor of quality beef cooked to perfection.

Attached: Pan-Seared-NY-Strip-2.jpg (900x900, 93K)

This nigga know

It's the fact that they are grain and soy fed over grass, and all the steroids they pump them full of to make them grow big quick. The breeds might be a factor as they select for the biggest/fastest growers, so good marbling may have been selected out in favor of that, or just accidentally. Good steaks from a good farm and from a good butcher are definitely superior than grocery store, or even Omaha Steaks shit. It just winds up being like pushing $20/lb for top sirloin instead of like the $12 or so at Kroger.

A whole porter house medium rare at a good steak place is goat.
Pro tip, if youre ordering anywhere but a steak house, order rare. It will come out mr.

This the only thing id add is salt. Salt brings out the flavors of every thing as usual.

pretty much some of the big takeaways to making a great steak are
>let the steak come up to about room temp before cooking, this usually means 1-2 hours before cooking for best results
>salt both sides
>I love charcoal grilling, but cast iron as hot as you can get it gets you a much better sear generally, and you can use the fond to make a bitchin pan sauce
>use tongs and sear the sides for bonus effect
>butter basting tends to finish it the best in my experience
>tent with foil and rest for 5-10 minutes so it doesn't explode all it's juices out when you cut into it, use that time to make the pan sauce
>pepper before eating, with a pepper grinder, it's much better tasting than burnt seared pepper you'd put on before grilling

> rare steak master race coming through

Where the fuck does the fillay minion come from

Holy shit OP. If you're ever in the US go to a decent steakhouse and order one at about a medium. They'll hook you up well.

I believe it's essential the spinal erector muscles running alongside the spine, but they don't get worked as much since they are 4 legged. Those are the "tenderloins" and you get filet by making steaks from it. It's tender because it doesn't get worked very much on a grazing cow. I could be slightly off here, but I think I'm correct.

This bucko knows how to cook a steak

Do you look at art? Paintings or otherwise? Do you listen to music? Do you like when something smells good?
Food is another way to present art to one of your senses you pleb

AGREEX1000000

WELL DONE STEAK IS TRASH ITS ABOUT GETTING IT A LITTLE UNDERDONE, KINDA LIKE SUNNY SIDE UP EGGS

We have cows with stomach holes that let us reach in and only get the best cuts. You probably got a piece of the rear.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 143K)

lamb>>>>>>>beef

Do you come from the land down under?