/Run/ - Running general

This is the thread for all things running.

Topics of the day:
When was your last run?
How was it?
What goals do you have for 2018?

Attached: 96bac.jpg (624x416, 37K)

>When was your last run?

About 2 hours ago

>How was it?

Not great. It was just under 10ks and pretty easy physically, but this bum-bag thing I wear for my phone is placing pressure on something that makes me feel like I have to piss, and then causes pain in my abdomen for days after.

>What goals do you have for 2018?

To keep running through winter. The last three years I've stopped for winter because it is just unpleasant

Attached: jI99waF.jpg (719x1417, 378K)

Reminder that you don't have to be skelly to be a good marathon runner. Patrick Cutter is a good example of that.

Attached: patrick2.jpg (960x960, 96K)

notice a drop in running performance. should I take some days off?

Budget shoe recommendations for wide feet that are somewhat flat?

>Patrick Cutter
>2:40
>Good
user please, I know 60yo spooks who have better times that that

I'm in the same boat, user. I ran all the way up through fall, stopped for a minor injury and then let winter pass. First run of the year was yesterday for me, felt decent but didn't push far past 5-6K.

Looking at this belt myself, something light and simple for key, wallet, mp3 player. Most of them look heavy, bulky for waterbottles, worry about having problems like yours.

Attached: f98b8f31-dc21-4ec0-8407-bc1982af958f.jpg (450x176, 10K)

Thanks for making the thread.
Last run was an hour ago
It was shit I am recovering from my shit marathon.
Goal is an ultra with some elevation, a sub 3h15 marathon, and 365 days of running in a row.

While I admire those goals, I don't think 365 days of running without rest days might do more damage than good, especially if some of those runs will be marathons/ultras

Some are very short ones though. I'm more than 200 days in.
I just did because like and I would drop running in the winter or after a big race. So I said no more zero running days even if I have to do a mile.

I get where you're coming from, but maybe 5 days of running and 2 days of recovery/strength work would be better? It's what I've been doing for my first Ultra

I have been doing that with no ill effect so far. I never push too much if I feel a sharp pain. But thanks for the advice.

I did not have enough volume for my first ultra and I need to work on that. Some days truly are really easy.

How do you teach yourself to forefoot strike? I do midfoot strike when I run in my current shoes that have 10mm drop, but when I try to walk on my forefoot first when walking around barefoot at home I really have to extend my leg in front of me and it feels like I'm sneaking on my toes.

Am I just being stupid and I don't have to worry about if I heel strike or forefoot strike when walking and should only wait to start learning forefoot strike when I start using zero drop shoes?

Walking and running are completely different things, it's silly to try to learn forefoot striking by walking. Get some zero drops and go. Increase your cadence and don't overstride and it won't matter how your foot strikes the gorund.

Anyone else suffering from massive performance drops at higher outdoor temperatures?
I am quite alright in the winter but as soon as temps hit >20ºC/68ºF my pulse jumps up 10-20bpm.

Attached: 1521051958774.jpg (500x479, 27K)

>When was your last run?
5km run, 3 hours ago
>How was it?
shit, it was at the end of my 48hr fast. Pace dropped to 11.5km/h
want to run a marathon maybe. I think I'm at the point where I can run a half marathon in less than 1:50, but my runners just blew out and I'm considering which runners to buy next.

I currently have Mizuno Wave Rider 17's was thinking of upgrading to the current 21's. Any suggestions?

>8 hours ago
>terrible, my pulse exploded and i had to slow down 2 times. Also i feel some pain in my ankle. Hope it's gone tomorrow.
>running 10km straight

I often get stopped and asked by random runners whether i want to join some marathon or running event. Usually old people. Is that normal or is everyone here fucking crazy?

You should try the On Cloudflow! I'm on my second pair and they're absolutely amazing

Attached: IMG_0240.jpg (4032x3024, 2.78M)

That has never happened to me, but I don't know man. Some runners do tend to be a bit too social I guess

Recently started playing some tennis after running for about 4 years straight.
I thought i was somewhat prepared but holy shit I was not. So much sprinting involved.

Attached: lr.webm (712x400, 2.9M)

that's normal, your body has to work harder to cool yourself off at higher temperatures. Everyone takes a performance hit, although a lot of it is psychological. It just feels harder to run when it's really hot.

I wish that were me. All the runners were I live are totally unfriendly, headphones in, wraparound sunglass wearing,100-mile stare ignoring you when you smile and nod hello, strava set to private, stuck up tryhards.

.44 miles

3 minutes 47 seconds

I... I used to be able to run 5 minute miles and run for 5+ miles at a time. Then I gained 40 pounds and started smoking cigarettes and drinking.

Don't be me, I'm slowly trying to get back what I once had.

that 70 year old triathlete has less adipose tissue than the 40 year old triathlete

that doesnt make sense

was this scientific at all

I'm going to be picking up new shoes tomorrow and I'm planning on getting Altras, but my local store only have the Altra Duo and Altra Torin 3, and they look pretty similar to me, they both have lots of cushioning and looking at their website doesn't really make things clearer. Does anybody know what the difference between them is?

>paced dropped to 11,5 km/h
still pretty quick in my opinion

>Last Run?
Last night after work. 4 miles in 35min.
>How was it?
Good, sort of. Took months off after my first marathon. Getting back into it is going slowly.
>Goals?
I want to run a 50 mile ultra this year.
>Life time goal
Qualify for and run the Spartathalon.

Any advice for a novice runner?

I hate running on the treadmill but it's so damn convenient. I wish I lived in a naturey area

>When was your last run?
Two days ago.
>How was it?
Pretty good. My injuries are completely healed. Used to run 140kms per month but I got a pretty bad case of plantar fasciitis so I only run 5k every other day now.
Run 1000miles

what’s your two mile times, Jow Forums?

>running without music
>get home
>music all sounds like they're running on 0.5 speed
is there a name for this?

hey, my kind of thread. how hard is it to run 2.4kms in 12 mins?

Of course you do.
>Making out like a sub-3 marathon isn’t impressive

Stop pretending fatty.

My shins and top of my feet (instep?) hurt like hell bros.
Lowering speed doesn't help.I last 3km tops before pain steps in
What do? Does it go away by itself?

Sounds like you’re heel-striking and lifting your toes up towards your shins when you’re on your downstroke

>When was your last run?
Yesterday, 2.5mile.

>How was it?
Better than last weeks runs. Just coming through re-entry after 4 months injured.

Get my mileage back up whilst avoiding the same ankle injury. Got a Oly Tri in 8.5 weeks so training has ramped up like crazy.

>When was your last run?
3 months ago just to check my 1 mile.
>How was it?
7:15. Definitely not good, but definitely not bad for not training it, being a smoker, having a torn tendon in my foot, and having flat feet.
1200 lbs club, improved 100m and 400m sprint. I don't see running or training to run any distance over 800m very practical unless your sport is cardio specific or you think running is a sport. Any reason I should get into it besides the shitposts that are incoming? I'd rather swim or do elliptical if I'm stuck inside and bike outside to try and preserve what little cartilage I have left in my knees. Even then, why train it? Not even being a cunt I just don't understand it I guess.

I was one of the slowest pieces of shit in my class in high school and I still managed to do 2.4 km in 12 minutes, so I'd say not hard at all, unless you're a fatass.
You may have trouble with being able to run that long without stopping initially tho.

>100-mile stare ignoring you when you smile and nod hello
I don't want to stare at incoming runners' faces to be able to judge whether they're gonna nod. Sorry bud, maybe you shouldn't nod at random people you don't know just because they enjoy the same physical activity you do.

How do I increase speed as a fatass? I started lifting last year, and I'm down to 190lbs from 250lbs. I started running recently to drop the last 10-20lbs, but I'm so fucking slow. It takes me 10-12 minutes to run a mile on a treadmill. I can't run outside because it's constantly 80 degrees F or more, and I'm running barefoot. If I try increasing the speed from 5mph to 7mph, I end up getting too tired in the 2-3 minutes I can keep up the 7mph pace that I can't finish the run.

What do I do?

Pulled a muscle in my calf during a 2 mile run 8 days ago. Doing c25k and I want to get back to it. Done an hour walk the last 3 days and I can feel just a little something still going on in there. How much longer till I can run again? Maybe Sunday if I walk every day until then?

Lose weight

>When was your last run?
About 20 mins ago
>How was it?
5.4 miles in an hour with steep hills. Almost got rained on but God decided I'm suffering enough
I want to do my first 5k and also get into the state trooper academy. That requires a 1.5 miles run in under 13.5 minutes. I can already do that now so I'm shooting for the 5k until my test day comes up. I also want to drop weight so I've lost about 20 pounds since new years.

Do you guys use any tracking apps for your run? I honestly love it when the robotic girl tells me at each half mile how well I'm doing.

I know that part, but is there a way to improve my speed in the meantime as well?

Just dropped in here to say value your ability to run. Some people lose it forever and it is deeply missed. Don't skip out because you are lazy. I'll never run again but you still can

triathletes are the garbage.
They can't swim
They can't cycle
They can't run

They think they can do all three of these

Attached: images[1].jpg (225x225, 5K)

Dude what happened. Tell us the story so I will run more thinking about you.

did a 10k a few hours ago. I dont feel like Im progressing at all though. My PB was last week at a 51:30 but today was a 53:30 and I just cant seem to get below the 8 minute mile mark I dunno if I'm just running too much (6 days a week) or if I need to start doing sprints or strides.

Less than 24 hours ago
It was ok, I was slightly sore and slightly full but I'm getting better
I just run to increase my endurance and stamina for Muay Thai, also because my dog likes to run with me

All it takes is 2-5 seconds of eye contact followed by a smile or a nod. That's it. Unless you're bonked out of your mind at the end of a long run, or have sensory processing difficulties because of literal autism, the LEAST you can do is to acknowledge the presence of any fellow running enthusiasts. It takes practically no effort and makes you seem like a normal, well-adjusted member of society instead of an emotionally stunted virgin who runs to escape his problems.

I wish I had anyone on my running route. I'm more likely to meet a mountain lion than another runner.

>When was your last run?
I guess a month ago?

>How was it?
I got tired after running a few km. I suck at this.

run 10km without dying

I am DYEL mode at the moment. I enjoy running on forest trails though, but I get my heart feels like dying after JUST a couple of kilometres.