Hey /fit, noob venturing over from /b just started SS and GOMAD...

Hey /fit, noob venturing over from /b just started SS and GOMAD. Are you supposed to count the bar when calculating how much weight you lifted? Also does 1 plate mean 1 20kg plate on both sides or just 20kg?

Attached: FB_IMG_1523361269264.jpg (320x320, 15K)

The bar weighs the same as one standard plate. So the phrase "1 plate" refers to just the empty bar.

Yes you count the bar. 1 plate means a 20kg plate on each side i.e. 60kg total.

>are you meant to count the bar

Oh boy, you really are a newbie, ain’t ya?

Answer me this: do you count the weight of your arms when you bench? do you count the weight of your body when you squat?

No?

Well there’s your answer. There’s a reason only the plates have numbers on them - it’s because they’re the only things you should be counting!

yes you can't the bar,

1 plate means a 20kg plate on each side

all lifters and competitors count the bar, that's the standard

These assholes are just shitposting OP. Of course you don't count the bar

haha, which joker told you that? I think you’ve fallen victim to what we in the biz call a “prank”!

don't listen to him user, hes just shitposting

>from /b/

Attached: Read the sticky and get the fuck out.png (1440x900, 409K)

I'm confused? Can somebody give me just a straight answer?

>don't listen to him user, hes just shitposting

Attached: 1523318947865.png (231x218, 6K)

you can't the bar, also pic related is a better program than SS,(or at the least switch to it after doing SS for a few months), you don't want Trex legs,

And differently don't do GOMAD, you'll get fat as fuck, just count your calories or guess them while eating reasonably healthy

Attached: iLhAJBl.png (547x465, 47K)

*count the bar

I think I've got this straight, God you guys shit post worse than fucking reddit.

So we count the bar and the bar is 1 plate?

Then today I benched 2 plates for 1 which according to what I've already read here isn't that bad. I didn't realise I was that strong haha.

Wait, is this a shit post or legit? The program looks intense but I can probably do it, but everywhere I've read GOMAD is considered the best way to gain.

Attached: E80FA24F-9804-4F61-90EB-E54EDCCE1B59.jpg (640x633, 52K)

Exactly

who counts the bar? i thought this was a meme.

So you benched 100kg, gj brev.

What? No I benched 60kg.

fuck ur an absolute unit mate. genetic freak

You are getting trolled. You DON'T count the bar.

you count half the weight of the bar because you use two hands

no you got it wrong, you count the bar in the total weight for example: benching the bar(20) with 2 20kg plates(one on each side)=60kg(20+20+20)= also called benching one plate because there is only one plate on each side of the bar

I highly doubt you benched 2 plates which would have been 100kg or the bar with 4plates(2 on each side)

Thanks, I've always been skinny but I guess its just fast twitch muscle fibres or something like that that I've been reading about. I guess I understand now why people were staring.

>mfw reading the posts in this thread

Attached: 1498924145621.jpg (400x533, 35K)

So wait, you're saying I only benched 1 plate for 1? Is that still good?

then you only benched 1 Plate

It's a lot more complex than most people are saying. Not only do you count the bar, you have to count the weight of your arms, as well as figure out the drag forces on the barbell while lifting it, and slight differences in gravitational pull based on your altitude.

I challenge you to find 1 (one) competitive federation that doesn't count the bar. I don't care if it's Olympics, Crossfit, Powerlifting, Strongman, etc. Literally any federation.

Attached: cute.jpg (573x960, 123K)

Pretty decent for a beginner but not groundbreaking

But is that still good? I see you guys go on about getting a 2 plate bench, so if I did 1 plate it's not that far off.

yeah 1 plate but you also have to factor in the newtonian force applied, its best to bring one of these and keep it in your locker

Attached: download.jpg (297x170, 5K)

This is disappointing. So how many days do you think before I hit 2 plates?

you lift as much as you can, and thats what matters, the number of that weight only matters to keep track of your lifts, and the lifts of other guys dont matter at all and will only lead to egolifting and getting injured
counting the bar or not depends on you, it wont change anything.

>but everywhere I've read GOMAD is considered the best way to gain

best way to gain a belly

But I read milk has lots of protein which makes muscle not fat.

>measure in lmaopl8s when with friends because it's easier to say "benching 65" than to calculate 65+65+20 and try to have him figure out how much to put on his side
>measure in total kg when e-stating on le chins
Why are americans so dumb they can't figure out how to use more than one system of measuring?

7 on average, try it next session with a spotter

Okay I will, my friend benched 40 today will he be strong enough to spot if I can't lift it off?

B-but you said two plates.

just get him to stand on the left side so you only have to press 50kg of the right if you fail

Is this a troll?

That makes sense. I know I can press 60 so if we half the load it should be fine.

the program is about the same volume as SS just more upper body focused, also its a lot less draining when you don't start every workout with heavy squats

Gomad is a meme, if you want to gain weight you need to simply eat in a calorie surplus, a gallon of milk is basicaly ading 2000 calories to your diet that will turn you into a lard. You can only gain so much muscle at a time, if you eat a huge surplus like 1000 calories you'll get fat af. also its bad for your skin and health just to drink a gallon of milk a day

Attached: download (27).jpg (319x158, 14K)

Then why do so many strength coaches recommend it?

Don't listen to these guys, a "plate" is what's colloquially used to reference 20kg, as a standard plate weighs 20kg, much like using a "hand" to describe the height of horses.

So if you benched 60kg then that's 3 lots of 20kg or 3 plates - hence you benched 3 plate

its very far off, most males who've never lifted before can at least bench a plate, its only skinny teens and soyboys who can't

You're evil lol

I want to believe I benched 3 plates but I'm pretty sure u trollin

depend on your genetics but at least a few months, maybe even a year

Woah Woah Woah, a year? Then how do people do these 12 week transformations? I need to bench 2 plates for a decent chest so it shouldn't take me that long.

I don't know what's real anymore

op is clearly trolling

You don't say

t. absolute retard

Attached: 1FD54F14-9669-424B-B9AF-3F232B5FF23D.jpg (657x657, 69K)

>from /b/
gtfo child

Your post has nothing to do with mine. Nowhere did I say you shouldn't use the plate system. Learn to read you worthless retarded faggot.

>counting the bar
nigga do you count your body weight too? fucking newfags I swear

Attached: D1DFFC93-F972-42DE-B776-24B2853303BD.jpg (219x230, 23K)

1 plate is one 20kg plate retard. You load the bar with one plate on whichever side you prefer and you lift it. You have to be strong enough to stabilize the weight so this is why its used to measure strength. Also you don't count the bar because the weight of the bar is balanced so it's weightless for your lifts, that's like high-school physics 101.

So you're saying I actually only bench 40kg?

Don’t count anything, it’s all about what you weigh divided by your BMI. The numbers stamped on the plates are so you know their circumference in inches or cm’s.

You only count the weight of the part of the bar between your arms. If you are benching it usually iz ~70% of the weight of the bar. 60% on squats and 80% on DL. If you can bring a tape measure to the gym and measure the width of to you bars in the bar and the bar, and do the percentage yourself. All this guys are meme in, don't listen to them.

Do I count the clips?

of course
count the grime on the diamonds as well for bonus points

thats a new one.

Not op, I already knew you count the clips but I didn't use any today.

>absolute reddit shitter getting fucked
yes

you count the bar to appear stronger online

if i count the bar, i will look more badass to someone who doesn't count the bar than if i didn't count it

yes and you also count your iphone and keys in your pockets when squatting, and also amount of shit in your bowels

Why would you squat with your iPhone and keys in your pocket?

Because I don't have microplates

more importantly why would you squat with your gut full of shit?

and also, dont forget to count the pussypad, gloves and amount of sweat on your body. And built up semen in your balls from nofap.

I've given this a lot of thought guys. Its really simple if you think about it. We have burgers using lbs, we have retards using kgs, but everyone can agree that a plate is a plate, so we measure in plates. But we only count the plates on one side, so two plates is actually lmao1p8, four plates is lmao2pl8, etc. The bar doesn't count because, well, its a facking bar not a plate do you have facking eyes does it look like a plate to you?

Attached: 1522045442901.jpg (388x445, 78K)

this, but you're retarded for posting a serious reply when everyone else is trolling

do you seriously think that someone would do that? just go on the internet and tell lies?

Why is this a meme. Yes you count the bar

>count thebar

why are you talking about vampires user?

>t. retard

Listen here, idiot. Everyone knows that the downforce applies by the plates on either side neutralises the weight of the bar.

It’s basic psychics.

I never knew antigravity was so easy. Why don’t we have flying cars yet?

I count the bar since the bars aren't all the same weight in my gym. Some are 20 kg, some are 8 kg, one is 13 etc. It's annoying, but I have to to be able to keep track of what I'm actually lifting.

The stereotype of gym goers as meatheads has led to decades of potential scientific progress being discarded out of ignorance on the part of the wider scientific community

Ever wondered why ‘broscience’ is so popular? Because it works.

My god this thread has way to many posts...

Attached: troll.png (340x444, 96K)

Stop fucking trolling the guy ffs. One plat means 20 kg, which means that a 1 plate lift is 40 kg, so 10 kg on each side and the bar which typically weighs 20 kg. The only time you shouldnt count the bar is when you talk about the lift in terms of lbs or kg. E.g. a 100 kg/225 lbs lift is actually 120 kg, but it just seems really weird to complicate things vy counting the bar. Hope this helps mate

This is in fact correct. Let's say you have the bar and put 20kg plates on each side. Now you have 60kg in total and you can proudly say that you are able to lift 3pl8s.

>psychics.
Tell me my future

Jfc how many times a day do we need to post this shit

Attached: haha yes.png (250x341, 133K)

You lifting the bar? count the bar.

if you curl only the bar, are you curling 0 pounds?

Attached: feel.jpg (400x449, 17K)

these two posts are exactly 1000 apart

cool

no that's retarded, you just say you were curling

I know this is a just a dumb meme, but I swear I saw the product page for a bar specify:
>weighs 45lb with two standard safety clips