Gyms?

Is Planet Fitness a decent enough gym for someone who wants to get back into shape? II don't really care about judgement, just getting help with improving form and all that. I've heard they do some stupid shit like pastry and pizza days, and I had a friend who would laugh whenever this place was brought up, so I don't know if they're worth my time.

Also post some interesting or funny gym stories/videos here I guess.

Attached: 1494360599716.png (1920x1080, 3.49M)

Other urls found in this thread:

scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/
pdf-archive.com/2017/07/30/the-greyskull-lp-second-edition/
newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html?m=1
startingstrength.com/get-started/programs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Despite the loathe that Jow Forums has for Planet Fitness and the attitude present there, it's fine for your purposes.

I have heard that they kick people out for being "intimidatingly big" or grunting too loud but I figure most anyone actually built would've fucked off to another gym by that point

Its a scam targeted at fat fucks
They discriminate agonst body builders or really anyone there not doing cardio
They advertise as a "judgement free zone" when in reality they judge everyone and the unworthy get kicked out no refund
They even have a alarm they ring if you start grunting or even attempt to do any heavy weight lifting
My mom has a membership, but she never goes, i do in her place and they we're fine with it untill i started to get serious about my gains and they revoked the membership because i was "being too intimidating"

>They advertise as a "judgement free zone" when in reality they judge everyone and the unworthy get kicked out no refund

I figured that'd be the case. People who would be self-conscious enough to go there end up getting a big head and acting condescending too, right? Or do they actually help others?

>have a 1 hour commute.
>get 2nd membership at planet fitness as a backup gym.
>its cheap. Y not.
>bring my usual gymbag.
>no barbells, whatever. Still get my lifts in.
>get jumprope out for some cardio.
>lady comes over and says
>" Sorry, no outside equipment is allowed"

You can't even bring a jumprope into the place. It's a fucking gym.

Whatever. Again, it's good for what it is. But it a shit tier starter gym for sure.

If it gets you were you want. The duck it. Go. But I'd aim for a goal where you can feel comfortable or afford a gym that has a pool, a basketball court, classes or a general environment that doesn't suck.

It varies a lot by location. I go to one and they are super loose with the rules. I can deadlift in the smith machine, the dumbbells go up to 75 pounds (34 kg), basically no dress code, etc.

Nah itss more like a bunch of fat 40 something moms circle jerking each other because they did 30 minutes on a treadmill every other Wednesday
The whole place is a scam to keep you fat
There are vending machines full of shit sugar snacks and sodas by every bathroom, a "snack" table that always has some high fat, high carb meal like bagels or pizza on it and the "personal trainers" know nothing of actual health and bother you all the time to "criticize" your work out until you pay them then they praise what ever your doing
Dont go, pay the extra money and go to a better gym

>I can deadlift in the smith machine
One way ticket to snap city.

Planet fitness is fine if you aren't a serious lifter. Smith machines are a joke and good for a handful of isolations.

Attached: planetfitness2.jpg (640x633, 81K)

>t bar rows

why are they even there

I lift at planet fitness and it's fine. Most of the people in my gym are regular lifters and no one cares if make a little noise grunting as long as you're not being a giant asshole about it. I've never seen anyone get kicked out or the "lunk alarm" go off. I see asshole dunecoons in there in tiny tank tops pumping their chest and biceps to death and it's fine, nobody cares.

>doing clean and jerk in the Smith machine

What’s wrong with overhead press and t-bar rows?
Only thing I guess I can see is if they don’t want people slamming weights down doing deadlifts

there's some pretty big dudes at the planet fitness in my town. staff is chill though, that stupid alarm goes off numerous times a day and everyone ignores it

those stupid purple machines will get you no where

I go there. It's a nice start for lanklets because most people are self conscious or shit. I go there cause it's cheap as shit and my routine only requires dumbbells and a pull up bar.

If you wanna bench press it's not for you. If you like machines there are a shitton, however all I ever hear and read is that you shouldn't use them. Pizza days are whatever they help me with will power because I am usually hungry after lifting but I can say no. I do feel bad for the fatties who are going because they want to make a change but get jewed out with pizza.

There are some nice thots there though so it's not all fat fucks. But if you're super serious about lifting I'd say go elsewhere. As a start, sure I'd say it's not bad because everything there isn't for hard core lifters.

Attached: 1523242106236.jpg (2048x1726, 138K)

wait, so. is this just for the squat rack, or do they mean no overhead presses at all?

Its more like do anything but cardio

>kick people out for being "intimidatingly big
>they revoked the membership because i was "being too intimidating"
You're meming right?

Attached: tumblr_inline_p07vy6RAz51r5d6kl_500.png (500x535, 59K)

good business model desu
>kick anyone out who actually used the equipment

ugh why those colours.

to remind them that they're fat like wario and nobody wants to be like wario

Weight lifters and body builders are not their target demographic
Its fat middle aged women with low to no self esteem

Wario is the bloatloard we need not the bloatloard we deserve

I can't believe they have an actual alarm for people who just want to lift. Are they afraid of you spreading knowledge?

It's not worth the price. Especially since they can kick you for no reason at all.

I used to work for PF and it really depends on the location and what time of day you go. I worked the night shift and didnt give a shit if people were lifting heavy or grunting and stuff.
Just know that eventually you're going to need to look for another gym after you progress some since the weights are pretty light there. Also you will have to re-learn all the barbell movements if you do them on the smith machine there

I said it once and I'll say it again
Its a scam targeted twords the fat, the insecure, and the mom
Its a circle jerk that pats loser on the back when they do 30 mins of jogging on a treadmill and pretend its a full 2 hour full body work out

There are some hardcore lifters at the one I go to I And major hot thot sluts working out all the time.

i fucking cant stand the front desk people at my location, I went in there last night, and the front desk weasel played a prank on me saying my membership was denied, I know im scrawny and easy to fuck with but that motivates me to go further with my training so assholes like that think twice before fucking with me

OP here: What's the "dress code" someone mentioned? Would I be able to go there shirtless or in a beater? I don't like t-shirts when working out because wanna avoid the sweat on the pits.

>judgement free zone
>a non land whale going shirtless

you would be sent back cause your non obese stomach would intimidate the poor soccer moms and the obese manchildren

i literally see hipsters working out in jeans and learher coats, i dont know if they allow shirtless but a beater should be acceptable

>learher coats

Attached: 1522487765324.png (720x663, 540K)

If you're in the Northeast retro fitness is a much better alternative. For 20 a month you can literally go to any one, and they have just about everything and never give you any hassle

Skol Vikings bitch

im in bunnel FL

But there is a contract, how can they kick you out for "being intimidating"

Only way planet fitness is worth it is if you’re both VERY POOR and in such shit ass garbage shape that you can’t even begin doing barbell exercises. The lack of free weights makes PF just about useless and that’s to say nothing of their shit attitude toward fitness.

Why are they purple ?

if you set off the lunk alarm more than once they can kick you out. I wish I was making this up

It's not horrible or anything OP. The hours are really great for busy schedules. Just expect a lot of old people during the day time

this, they also buy pizza and cake and leave it on tables for the visitors, firstly that 1(3) slices of pizza will negate any work actually done so they will need to keep coming back, also it keeps them knowing how good fast food is, so if they went all month without it, they will be very hungry and not be able to pass it up, making them more likley to binge on the outside too. truly smart.

I have a huge soft spot for fast food if I smell it. Sounds like torture to be some fat dude and have the aroma of pizza around you while you're trying to make it.

It makes me feel cool to walk past gym thots scarfing pizza and not take any

nice

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 35K)

yeah dude I'm epic

The quality of a planet fitness gym seems to depend on its management because it’s a franchise business. Where I live the PF has free weights, barbells, rowing machines, stair steppers, a TRX area and a bunch of other equipment. It sounds like most other PF gyms don’t have as much stuff in them.

I also noticed that this PF has some sort of agreement with a special education facility in the area because they let the people with disabilities come in to clean and use the massage chairs, and people who train guide dogs bring them inside too.

>judgement free zone
>kick people with too much muscle

hmm

the people who laugh at hamplanet fitness are usually dyels and people with low self-esteem that like to try to fit in with the cool kids. Typical shit.

Look at it objectively and see if it meets your needs. Walk into one and ask for a tour. I'm pretty dyel and mostly trying to lose weight and I go there because it's cheap, close and suits my needs. Some quick points:

-I've been going for months during prime-time, never heard alarm go off or seen anyone get kicked out.
-People generally respectful and met some pretty fit bros that were pretty chill.
-the free junk food is 2 days out of the month aren't even served all day. If you can't say no to a cramp-inducing pizza/bagel before a workout, then planetfitness isn't your issue and life throws way bigger curveballs than that. Also, some carbs after a workout aren't that bad either, saves you buying a meal, or at least the carb portion of it...
-Mostly machines, low weight fixed barbells and dumbbells. Tons of cardio equipment and a variety of them.
-if you become a niggercard member, you get access to any planetfatness gym, get to use massage chairs and tanning beds or whatever contraption your local one is offering.

As to the "point" people are bringing up about planetfitness banking on you NOT visiting, yeah, that's what every gym is banking on.

Maybe it would be worthwhile for like a month or two to see if you like working out, but you really should get yourself into a real gym with barbells ASAP. I used to fuck around on 8+ machines a day for 12-15reps and run a lot without a program or schedule or eating right and I made basically no gains for months.

Now I'm doing GSLP and I'll have doubled my strength and become one of the strongest people in my gym at the end of June. Most people at the gym are weak and don't know how to get strong, but you have Jow Forums so you better get yourself to 1/2/3/4 by your first year or you're a gay nigger.

>Try this is you go to PF:
scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

>Try one of these when you go to a real gym:
pdf-archive.com/2017/07/30/the-greyskull-lp-second-edition/

newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html?m=1

startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

Planet fitness is just fine unless you're a competitive athlete or someone who's main goal is serious power lifting. They buy pizza and bagels once a month but you dont have to partake. They have candy around, but you dont have to eat it.

Just because its targeted and marketed to lazy fatties doesnt mean you have to play into that targeting. You can get a good workout in there, and especially if you're a beginner, its a cheap way to get started for the first 6-12 months before you have the routine and discipline to commit to a nicer place.

I have a membership to the one near my house so I can use the treadmills for interval runs because its a 5 minute drive. You'll see plenty of in shape, fit, big guys at planet fitness. The discriminate against big dudes thing is mostly a meme. Ive heard the lunk alarm go off a few times, but it seems to be more of a 'hey dont be reckless with our equipment' alarm than a 'hey dont train hard' alarm.

If you wanna go to a cheap and fake gym then that's your place. Now if you wanna go to a REAL gym then get the fuck out of Planet Fitness.

Pretty sure PF only exists to get the reimbursement checks most American health insurance companies offer.