Hanging leg raises

Hanging leg raises
How do you do them?
And how are they done correctly?

Every info graphic and YouTube tutorial says lower your legs all the way down and then back up.
However my PTs and buff guys at the gym never go below 90° angle and only do the small movement from 90° angle up to their chest

Attached: hanging-leg-raise1.jpg (608x400, 57K)

bump

I usually go as full rom as I can, but go all the way back down.

Never tried just holding it at 90 maybe I will next time. Seems like it would be pretty hard though

Do it both ways. Just try not to use momentum and don't lean back.

No matter how controlled I perform these, they give me lower back pain. They also tighten your hip flexors too much.

Fuck this exercise desu. Ab rollouts are superior anyways

Jut go by the feel of burn and contraction on your abdominal rather than thinking about the angles. You should be doing all your workout with full range of motion, half rep is great for burn out sets sometimes tho but realistically nothing beats a good full range.

the point is, when you lower your legs all the way down, on the way back up you use your hip flexors instead of abs.
That's why people tell you to not go down the full range.

...you're coming back up anyways you're still using abs. If you can't get a proper mind to muscle connection while doing leg raises then try bending your knee while doing so, then work your way out to do an extended leg raises.

figure this is an ok thread to ask: how do i stop lower back pain while doing lying leg raises? usually it’s at the bottom of the movement, my gf said to place my hands under the small of my back, but i heard that ou want to have your back completely flat while doing them. is it just a flexibility issue? the pain is like my back is too tight

Did you warm up before doing that or did you jump into it? Do a foam roll on your lower back everyday, if it's still sore then go to Chiro and get them to give you an at home back adjustment exercises to fix your back.

Bit of elevation of back during lying leg raises is fine, you should worry more about if you're feeling the burn on your abs tho during workout.

>foam roll on your lower back

must b trolling

Now this has me thinking - would doing 21's be good for leg raises?

bump

I do them on dip bars. A lot harder than hanging.

Honestly doing the captain's chair leg raises seems to hit my abs better. I don't know if my form is just shit or what

you shouldn't. makes it a lot easier

I don't get it. Why would he be trolling? I use a foam roller almost every day for legs, back, and shoulders. I also spend a lot of time stretching. All of this helps mobility and recovery of my workouts.

Why foam rolling the low back is not advised?
Based on the previous information, foam rolling the low back is not advised for a variety of reasons. First, most low back pain is caused by a mechanical deformation, such as an arch in the low back. The diameter of the average foam roller is about 5” and most individuals cannot control the position of their low back while on this roller. In order to induce a muscle “release” the individual must identify a tender spot and then stop and hold pressure on this point. If one is tensing all of their trunk muscles and rolling quickly (as most people do) then a release cannot occur. If an individual does as is taught and does try to relax then they essentially just lay across the roll and force even more of an arch in their low back along with applying excessive pressure on the lumbar spine and the discs that separate them. Therefore, this ultimately aggravates the mechanical position that caused the low back pain in the first place.

Second, if the low back pain is caused by non-mechanical factors (such as spondyloarthritis) then having the pressure of the foam roller directly on the spine could exacerbate the condition.

Third, areas the foam roll is used should have bony protection for organs. For example, when rolling the chest, there is no danger to the heart because the rib cage provides adequate protection. In the low back, there are the kidneys and the liver, which have little to no bony protection (Newton, 1998). While they may be protected by large muscles, it is still considered an endangerment site, especially when using body weight compression across such a large object.

Mistake #5: You use the foam roller on your lower back. “The thing that makes me cringe is when people foam roll their lower back. You should never ever do that,” say Vazquez. Hitzmann agrees. “Your spine will freak out and all the spinal muscles will contract and protect the spine.”

The fix: According to Vazquez, you can use the foam roller on your upper back because the shoulder blades and muscles protect the spine. “Once you hit the end of the rib cage, stop.” If you want to release your lower back, try child’s pose or foam roll the muscles that connect to your lower back — the piriformis (a muscle located deep within the glutes), hip flexors and rectus femoris (one of the main muscles in your quads).

Because your abs are too weak and your other muscles are taking on the load trying to compensate. Try to use your core the whole time, don't go too low then.

look how much fun hes having
leg raises must be godtier

The crunch at the top is where 75% the work is done, but full ROM gives u 100% of the work, and beginners have a hard time keeping their upper bodies still for the movement, so full ROM would be better to learn how to do that as well

Remember to keep your shoulder blades back and your core tight, lower back pain means you're hanging loose instead of holding yourself up tight

The buff guys probably weigh too much to go full rom. This is pretty much a gymnast manlet exercise.