/fast/ - #170 - Solid Snake Edition

DISCORD
discord.gg/Raz5BhY

WHAT IS /FAST/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0[Embed]
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

WHY SHOULD I FAST?
Weight loss, better skin, autophagy
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
Mix in 1L water:
*4700mg potassium MAX
*3000mg sodium MAX
*Many people use half or less of these amounts, it's up to you

CAN I HAVE COFFEE/TEA?
It's up to you. Cold-brewing (6+ hours in room temp water) results in 2-3x higher concentrations of autophagy /metabolism boosting polyphenols.
medium.com/@drjasonfung/green-tea-helps-fasting-1f9aded8fa35

YOU AREN'T HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days + 48 hour fast weekly
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

WON'T I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

SUGAR IS MORE ADDICTIVE THAN COCAINE
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Attached: SolidSnake.png (410x800, 288K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/personal-growth/when-to-eat-fast-and-break-fast-7c802645f792
youtu.be/JipRwP754jA
amazon.com/dp/B00ENS39Z8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_e-n0AbGBJGEZD
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3856475/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

on my 49th hour.

bodyfat was 14% before i started. maybe less

every spring i do a 7day waterfast, and while cutting IF20/4

I think I'm gonna stop keto OMAD and start doing regular OMEOD. It's such a pain staying under 25 carbs.

Quick question: does taking vitamins and supplements fuck up your fast? Currently I take a multivitamin, fish oil, iodine, and biotin.

>no le meme arrows edition

Hey, im having so much trouble at the fourth day
Not with hunger not with dizziness, but with heartburn, and its pure torture
I have some anomaly in my stomach I usually use omeprazol when
it happens, but fasting it doesnt work
How do I prevent this?

Did some OMAD's decided to do extended fast for the first time, i'm at 78 hours atm feeling pretty chilly and hungry.
All in all not so bad

Currently on day five. Might break tomorrow to have lunch with a friend but I'm tempted to push through to Monday.

More good fasting science from Dr. Fung:
medium.com/personal-growth/when-to-eat-fast-and-break-fast-7c802645f792
The gist is that people doing OMAD should do it in the morning, and people doing IF should start their eating window in the morning. In the evening your insulin response is 30% greater than in the morning an equivalent meal could cause significantly more fat storage.

about to hit 20 hours fast. no water no nothing. what do?

>really want to eat
>make nice meal to break fast
>three bites in stomach no longer wants food
every time

Follow your heart

I'm doing a 16/8 now. I hear it can be effective. What do y'all think? Any tips?

Attached: 1521440091938.jpg (552x475, 32K)

hour 20 boys
fucking hell its so much harder than i remember
i did a 102 hour fast like a month ago and it didnt feel nearly as hard as this
i didnt even have any carbs in my last meal

From Dr. Fung: Do breakfast + lunch instead of lunch + dinner, see From Dr. Naiman: Split your macros so you don't have carbs, fat, and protein in the same meal. Have carbs in the morning when you're most insulin sensitive, then fat and protein in your next meal (the fat will also keep you satiated until the next day's breakfast)
youtu.be/JipRwP754jA

1 month into 5x5+OMAD lads. How am i doing? 5'8" btw

Attached: progress-pic.jpg (2800x1808, 788K)

>eight fucking hour eating window
>every fucking day
why even bother? go back to 6 meals a day you fat shit

very nice progress!

hang tough

take your impotent rage elsewhere, be helpful to him or fuck off

literally how the fuck can i help him if he wont read the shit in the OP? if he wont even watch snakeman? this is not-reading-the-fucking-sticky-tier retardation and it should he treated as such

I was raging about this yesterday. Fuck lazy people, this is Jow Forums you're allowed to tell them to eat a bag of dicks. If the twink tripfag wasn't cupping these lazy obese retards by the balls he might actually be able to help someone.

>Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.
It's right in the OP, IF discussions belong here as well. So get off his nuts, if you have useful info relating to IF then share it, don't belittle him for taking a step in the right direction.

>down 15 lbs after doing IF for a month
>25 BMI, .89 WHR
Feeling good

Attached: 1492906342910.jpg (268x450, 45K)

keep on truckin'

eating for 1/2 the time you’re awake during the day does not qualify as fasting. it induces neither autophagy nor keto, and it does not produce the rapid fat loss that non-retarded, disciplined people fast for in the first place. 16/8 could never reverse type-2 diabetes, so it is not a natural way for humans to eat.
all in favor of removing non-OMAD IF from the OP say “aye”

It doesn't matter. IT'S YOUR FAST NOONE ELSES!

Sure, if you take stuff like multivitamins, fish oil, blah blah blah it will have some marginal impact, but as long as you are prepared for that (since you're balancing the efficiency and effectiveness of your fast against maintaining vitamin and micro-nutrient levels), then that is fine.

One thing I would say is that if your aim is autophagy rather than weight loss you might be seriously fucking yourself over. For autophagy you really do need to be fasting to the max.

If you want validation that what you are doing is not having an impact then get some Bayer Ketostix. As long as your daily ketone measurement is the deepest colour of purple then you are doing great.

The other measures are the scale and the tape, obviously, you should (on average, ignoring water weight loss), be losing about a ½ pound in fat a day, more if you weigh over 200 pounds. As long as you are losing weight at a good steady rate then your doing fine.

Attached: Bayer Ketostix.jpg (500x500, 23K)

16:8 is really good combined with a calorie deficit and exercise for fat loss
Not the best, but still really good for baby fasters

True, but 16/8 is just the bait so this shit isn't completely untouchable to the vast majority of low willpower people out there. We don't need them succeeding we just want them talking about fasting... because possibly in their circle of friends a few can be helped. Thats how this is going to work over the long term. 1 person at a time user.

I agree with you tho...

>combined with a calorie deficit
Of course, this immediately makes it destructive for the same reason just eating less doesn't work. It slows your metabolism and you gain it back easier.

To clarify, sure... fat fucks should probably eat less. You need fewer calories to maintain a 160lb bodyweight than you do a 260lb bodyweight... but the goal is to keep your metabolism as high as possible, which CICO fucks.

no, polluting the waters with pseudoscientific shit that doesnt actually work will turn people off from fasting altogether. if a fatfuck tries his hardest to lose weight on 16/8 but cant (because 16/8 is inherently flawed in terms of the physiological/hormonal effect its trying to capture), what the FUCK makes you think he’ll suddenly say “well putting forth the herculean effort to not stuff my face for only half the day didnt work, maybe i should straight up not eat for days!”????
fuck IF, fuck 16/8, and fuck fat pussies looking for shortcuts

Reminder that you are too weak to not stuff your fat pig mouth with food nonstop unless you don't even eat a bite at all. Also there are no before and after pictures of fast working unless you count IF. Get some long term discipline you fat fucks. Never going to make it edition.

Attached: 1521591580166.jpg (520x620, 48K)

How do you guys keep up with your job? I tried to dry fast but it last only 15h I was so weak. I will try again with SJ but I wanted to do a DF before getting my potassium. I wanted to get into autophagy/ketosis.. Next time.

>180cm
>78kg
>laboring job

You still eat just fine in your meal hours
You feel more satiated and you spike insuline less
Thats exactly how OMAD and other IF works
Read about it

reminder that you repeatedly prove that you are absolutely unable to read a scientific study, watch a youtube video, or even read the cliffs in a fucking OP due to clinical retardation
i’d tell you to jump off a cliff, but your insulin-resistant, cancer-ridden, sugar addicted, catabolic husk of a body will kill you soon enough.

>being this mad on the internet
Longer fasting is better, no doubt. But to say that IF has no benefits over the "eat 6 times a day to keep metabolism high" bullshit most people do is pants-on-head retarded and you know it.

Attached: plasma insulin fasting hours.jpg (1024x1024, 129K)

you dont need to dry fast for full autophagic benefits to set in. just wet fast dude. trying to work hard labor on a dry fast is asking for trouble, DF is for cancer patients trying to stop tumor growth.

People lose weight doing 16/8 tho, so the fat fuck wouldn't totally fail. He's just going to take forever, and have saggy skin. So, again... I agree with you... keep pointing out that 16/8 doesn't get you the autophagy and doesn't beat food addiction and doesn't fix hormonal shit... doesn't reset gut microbiome etc... but the fatass will lose 20 lbs in 4 months do congratulate him and push him.

I'm in Cole's camp on this user... every fat fuck normie that takes 1 step needs the right motivation for that next step (not coddling and ball cupping). This is bigger than weight loss, this is political and cultural...

- destroying pharma
- solving the healthcare problem
- restoring a nation of strong men (not soyboys)
- self development

Use the 16/8ers as a stepping stone, careful not to refrain from motivating them to strive for more.

Attached: fasting.jpg (862x3832, 836K)

Thank you Jow Forums and /fast/ today i hit an achievement. Im a fatty down 40 lbs, im now officially obese instead of severely obese, and only 100 lbs away from a normal human.

I go 5 day fast then 2 days of something normal ish. By the last two days of the fast my energy is almost zero and im sore and miserable but i keep at it because its working

Just wanted to give you all thanks.

Attached: 20180413_191536.png (1080x607, 727K)

eating more than once every 36 hours is pants-on-head retarded and you know it.
sure, 16/8 is better than common eating habits. and having a small, dry turd in your mouth is better than being funnel-fed a gallon of steaming diarrhea fresh from the bloatlord’s hemmorhoid-riddled ass. but wouldnt you rather just not consume shit either way?

I work harder and think clearer when I'm fasting. I solved a problem today so complex that 99.999% of you wouldn't be able to wrap your head around it. (Automation engineering)

Attached: SmartSelectImage_2018-03-07-23-34-12.jpg (1299x873, 416K)

Projecting much fat boy? Who the fuck on fit eats sugar? Enjoy no cardio, no lifting, and looking like a soft bitch with no strength or stamina. Literally all you can accomplish is not eating like a pig for three days.

one teaspoon of salt gives me 2k of sodium. is that fine to start with? and I need help dosing this for potassium:
BulkSupplements Pure Potassium Chloride Powder (250 grams) amazon.com/dp/B00ENS39Z8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_e-n0AbGBJGEZD

>sure, 16/8 is better than common eating habits
that's my point, tell him good, take a week on that, adapt, then move to OMAD, do that for a week, ok bud time for OMEOD, do a week of that, alright man time for your first extended fast, etc.
Quit being a cunt, encourage people, if you want to scream at strangers then become a drill instructor or fuck off back to /b/

>you dont need to dry fast for full autophagic benefits to set in.
There is a scale of which effect is more aggressive. When you say "full benefits" one can easily point out that the effect of dry fasting is the most aggressive by far... so no, 16/8 isn't capable of giving you that same effect.

i completely agree with the spirit of your post but why bother fucking with 16/8 for a week when you can just jump straight into a 48 hour fast? the latter isnt exponentially harder than the former, but it’ll break a fatty’s food addiction exponentially faster than it. riding on training wheels for too long will only inhibit your future ability to ride without them.

>Get off my 48 hour fast
>Eat 1500 Calories in one go
>12 hours later and need to shit
>My shit bottle rockets out of my ass
No one warned me this would happen

I don't ever recommend 16/8, but I always include it as the "introductory fast" or "least aggressive" because it helps disarm doubters and overcomes the hardest obstacle for people... which is just for them to start. Stop fucking thinking about it and analyzing and just begin. Most of the time they lose a couple of pounds and want more. Not that I have much trouble disarming them after losing 100lbs... results talk / bullshit walks and people I talk to in real life acknowledge that I'm very fucking intelligent and know what I'm talking about when it comes to fasting.

16/8 is literally just carrot on a stick strategy for pushing aggressive fasting... but you've got to be willing to motivate people.

>Not exponentially harder
YES it is. For a normie, and for people who dont trust fasting yet. Most people

Those people can start with 16:8 and then try longer fasts with faster results

you have enough gut motility to send a satellite into low orbit. this is a quintessentially chad ability. be proud

Someone?

>YES it is
Not from a physically demanding standpoint... but the mental game is the block to overcome. 16/8 is a toe in the door and nothing more.

Good progress desu.

dissolve 1/2 tbsp baking soda in about a cup of water and guzzle it.
alternatively mix 2tbsp ACV and 1/2tsp baking soda and knock that back if youre a madman (might give you liquid shits)

ACV isn't going to give you the shits.

Here is how I mix mine
>1 tbsp Lemon Juice
>2 tbsp ACV
>1 tsp Baking Soda

Well done mate. I believe I was one pound less than you current weight when I started fasting.

As of this morning I weighed 191.4, so still overweight, but no longer obese. Currently on day 12 of a 36 day water fast (300 hours into it), which should bring me down to about 163, which is just within the "Healthy" BMI range.

Still a long way to go even after the current 36 day fast is done, but every day a little more fat is consumed and I am a little thinner and weigh a little less.

I'm happy I began this journey...

>i’ve been doing omad at 6 pm every day for the past month

Attached: AB28C72E-16C1-4E29-9C9F-8385D3BD11AC.jpg (1102x967, 101K)

>300 hours into it
It's funny when I see people counting hours past 72... it's like when retarded mothers count months after the kid is a year old.
>she's 17 months old now!
>I'm 300 hours fasted!
You're a big guy OMAW guy (for you) you can graduate to counting days now.

You forgot to post your results.

the results are that i am a little less skinnyfat than i was before and that i need to start doing omad in the morning instead of the evening

>i need to start doing omad in the morning instead of the evening
Why do you believe this will make a differences. OMAD is OMAD is OMAD... time of day does not matter.

Thanks senpai

Insuline is lower at the morning, aparently
Still works any time of the day though

Your insulin is lowest right before you eat no matter when you eat on OMAD.

is sucralose bad on a fast? i bought this coconut pinaeaple sparkling water, and holy fuck. it tastes so good. but i see it has sucralose in the ingredients.

>breaks your fast

so how does it break the fast?

>how does sugar break the fast?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3856475/

Even if it doesn't its shitty for you.

yeah but its zero fucking calories and carbs

oh come on is it that bad. fuck. its just sparkling fucking water

>if I say "sparkling" it won't fuck up my body
From the link
>Under similar test conditions, obese women displayed elevated glucose and insulin levels when exposed to sucralose alone (Pepino et al., 2013). Recent animal data suggest that habitual oral ingestion of high-potency sweeteners that do not provide calories may blunt GLP-1 release and produce hyperglycemia in response to subsequent oral glucose tolerance tests

Go read the link lazy faggot it's BAD for you.

>oh come on is it that bad. fuck
Reread you pleading like an addict.
Reread it again.
Reread it again.
Reread it again.
Reread it again.
...no go have your sugar water faggot, you're never going to make it.

Fung said so, not me

He said that people GENERALLY SPEAKING people go the longest without eating overnight... which is why "breakfast" is called "break" + "fast" dumbass.

>He said that people
He said that because**

30h into my dry fast
sleeping much more, constant fatigue/boredom and sugar/fruit cravings
but other than that it's ok
gotta get that 72h for a good healing effect

Attached: 1483484288301.jpg (460x578, 142K)

I haven't eaten sugar in over a week and i just ate a cookie. It feels like i got a small sugar rush from it. Anyone else have an increased sensitivity to sugar?

I got a sugar high from my last meal after a fast. I couldn't stop jogging in place while I ate. Felt weird.

Yea, my friend was "awakened" by the realization when I explained to him how the body is like a thermostat. Eating food heats up your body, and refined sugar / carbs spike the temp. At first he wasn't comfortable with it... and told me "ignorance is bliss" but now he uses it to his advantage.

Now, when I do a refeed if it takes little to no carbs and I'm in a food coma nap.

did 20 hour fast, but gf brought pizza and ate 1 pizza slice with the crust, but the toppings off 2 other slices, no crust. justified it as my omad. still keto because under 30g carbs. how much did I fuck up?

Cheers mate.
I will do it again when I got my potassium (some times this week).

>around same length dry fast
>except insomnia and extremely bored

Attached: 1507938751362.png (480x406, 55K)

What about autoimmune (gut) diseases like psoriasis?

Not much really just start fasting again and you'll be in ketosis in no time.

we're all gonna make it brah
keep at it

Attached: 1523394115620.jpg (1244x701, 92K)

My first step was just no snacks after supper. Two weeks later I was doing doing 5:2 IF. I have now been OMAD for most of the last three months. The only thing keeping me from going full omaw is my kids. It's hard to explain why Dad's not eating to young children.

I think I have this. They're usually pretty mild, never getting bigger than a dime so I never bother to get them checked out. Thought they were just dry skin rashes due to the cold

snakeman keeps yelling and swearing at me

Attached: 1495503317332.png (619x453, 46K)

well i'm going to start my fast up again. i'm having someone do it with me the first two days, because i know thats the hardest.

u fat
but then u fast and no longer fat
and then snake man yell not at u

bump

According to the label 1 teaspoon would be 4320mg, be close to the daily upper limit. I'd put 1/2tsp in 1L of water, with 1/2tsp salt, maybe 1tsp salt if you want more.

A lot of people here are talking about getting mental clarity while i'm in a fog when i fast. What gives?

I only went three days, definitely didn't have clarity but was in a really good mood for some reason

>keep breaking my fucking fast at 24hrs but im still skinnyfat as hell and i know i shouldnt
m-m-m-muh OMAD

Could be many factors hindering it. Too much snake juice, or not enough snake juice. Body may or may not be in ketosis, or perhaps may not even have adjusted to ketosis. Hydration levels can be a factor too

When everything is balanced, the clarity is clear. Just got to figure out the balance of water and minerals that your body will be happy with

So is potassium a must?
I've found pink himalayian salt, but can't find the fucking KCl

yes it is

yes. You will feel like shite without it. Sodium/potassium together perform a vast number of functions. Look up sodium and potassium pumps to get a good idea of just what they do.
What region are you in?

klor con.

Same here, I have been OMADing at 8:30pm because it was very convenient; stuff myself and let the insulin spike carry me to sleep. Fuck it all I'll just water fast and eat normally, OMAD gives me a lot of shits anyway.

Russia
I mean there is this shit, but I'm not sure if this will be a good substitude.
It is the only thing I managed to find though.

I could also order Potassium Chloride Powder by Now Foods from iherb, but it's like 3000mg of potassium for 40 portions so I don't know.

Attached: eNqe5vuMAvNdqrRaaS5bnQ.jpg (1024x753, 109K)

*3000mg of potassium per teaspoon
the whole package contains 40 teaspoons