About to work in construction. What can I expect?

About to work in construction. What can I expect?

Attached: wood_wood_framed_house_.jpg (640x355, 72K)

not fitness related

seriously... go post this shit somewhere else, go fucking google it you stupid cunt

Probably some construction

lots of excercise depending on your job, but it's not exactly a well programmed routine.

You'll probably want to pack yourself some good food, even if makes you the odd one out.

Enjoy being forced into meth. Shit pay even shitter conditions and a corrupt as fuck union which will fuck you at every chance.

I would not recommend it op. You have to pack lunch and a cooler. Be there early, although now it's nice out it is kinda cool to be outside all day. Hard work that will slowly break down your body. Coworkers you probably wont like, mediocre pay. Just not great, but land another job before you quit

A lot of safety violations and sad middle aged people

lol this, pays well tho, but can be taxing on the body, depending what you do. Just found out I have scoliosis, union says "stop pay your dues or resign"

I will never not kek at responses like this

Drywallers shitting in any box, bucket, or sufficiently large cup available.

From my perspective this is fitness related, it's a labor job.

You're wrong, seeing as how your 'perspective' doesn't override the rules of the board. Do you even lift?

what trade?

Construction is a broad term op. What specifically are you going to be doing? And where?

fucking kek ive had a coworker shit in a box a few times

losing the will to live. seriously. it is impossible to be happy in those kind of dead end jobs.

This
This
And certainly this after more than a year

I work as a construction helper, all I do is drive around an energy drink and sugar addicted russian who lost his driver's license drunk driving. most days I stand around and carry tools, but on the days that I actually work I burn more than 3000 kcal so be prepared for that. Also most people are overweight here and play Shittyflute games on their phone for some reason

Carpentry. Going to be building houses. Looking towards becoming an electrician in the near future, while I'm at this job currently.

Attached: 1523326968814.jpg (616x960, 89K)

Where do you live? How much do you make? Do you think your job would be better if you were more than just a helper?

How much per hour

Well it will be somewhat relevant experience but start applying for electrician apprenticeships asap, that is a much better job

Make sure you know how to tie a bowline and clove hitch knot.

I've been framing for 5 years op, what do you want to know?

How much do you make? What are some better paying careers I could branch off into after becoming a carpenter. Any tips for a guy just starting out?

Get into a less a labor intensive trade. HVAC, Instrumentation, Electrical are good.

rolling.

bump, i'm starting the 24th, kinda nervous as idk what to expect

You're going to be made fun of for being such a clueless soyboy.

honest, hard work, long hours, shit working conditions (make sure you wear your PPE), being surrounded by chain smokers

Gas station hot dogs x infinity

your grip strength should improve by quite a bit (if you aren't used to this kind of work and aren't very strong already). Depending on your nature, the experience may motivate you to get your shit together because you likely will be surrounded by dropkicks and will realize how shit the work is

This. You'll realize really fast how important forearms are in manual labour.

How much do you make?
$20/hour in a low cost of living area.

>What are some better paying careers I could branch off into after becoming a carpenter.
Plenty of possibilities career wise. You could stick with residential framing, become a lead guy, and eventually start your own business. You could get into commercial work, siding, roofing, remodeling, finish work, the list goes on. Depending on your area the union might be a good choice.

>Any tips for a guy just starting out?
Show up on time, do what you're told, don't fall, learn as much as you can from the old guys, move fast, don't be a pussy, and save the hard drugs for the weekends.

It's an unlicensed trade with a lot of hacks, try to find a reputable outfit and stick with them. You don't want to be chasing your paycheck or working with a bunch of junkies. It will take you a couple weeks to get conditioned to the work, but if you're actually fit you won't find it too challenging. It's not a bad job. Satisfying work.

what about them handshake gainz tho

Alright, while I'm doing carpentry, I want to transition into better trades. What are some trades you would recommend that has the potential to earn some good money.

t. 18 year old HS graduate

Attached: 1523329706491.jpg (960x640, 62K)

Instrumentation, HVAC.

where are you located?

Eat plenty of cheeseburgers off of the roach coach for maximum shit gainz

Attached: 14037_1_j.jpg (600x450, 49K)

Same

GA

Making my buildings

>t. Architect

Yeah, you'll get those for sure. You'll also get callouses in wierd places on your hands

it's less than preferable
I enjoyed doing concrete work more

What are babbling about?

Site supervisors can easily make 100k and can have a long career into their 60’s.

Arthritis pain, disregarding serious injuries that don’t stop you from working, over cautious regard for anything that could cause an incapacitating injury, a lot of mockery about your lack of experience, good money if you’re a guard worker, Mexicans (who work harder than you), half the people you thought were Mexicans were actually Guatemalans and Salvadorians, Chinese people who fatally disregard their security (and yours), a lot of “totally joking” homosexual jabs (they are actually jokes), really really really white and rich men who don’t understand why you’re not happy and have ridiculously white names, blacks really don’t want to work (except some do), stupid tattoos, stupid life choices, amazing life stories, you WILL get stronger, you shouldn’t force yourself to do shit you can’t do, you should ask questions every time you don’t know something, engineers are dicks, so are foremen, you will really wish you’d be doing something else but the money’s good, if you don’t paint your tools fluorescent pink and green it will get stolen (it will get stolen anyway), sportsball talk, dick swinging (though only rarely literally), Marlboro reds, coffee mixed with coke mixed with actual cocaine as somebody’s breakfast (he’ll quit on the third month), the one fucking time you decide to slack off is the day the owner of the company happened to be walking by your area, you will do at least two things a day that will cause you lung cancer but you’ll tell yourself it’s okay because there’s a guy who does ten, you’re suddenly comfortable not showering (or changing clothes) for three days, you never thought you could be so opinionated about work boots, and why are you still poor if you’re making $45 an hour?

but construction consumes your life if you work that job. more often than not you're the first on site and the last off

not to mention the high stress

I just started a labour intensive job. Making gains and cutting will be challenging to say the least. I started at a bad time, apparently it’s harder than usual because we’re shovelling wet clay in the pouring rain and my job will moslty be helping seed all the parks in my city.

It’s my first week and I’m sleeping for around 6-7 hours and napping for an hour or two right when I get home so I haven’t been to the gym all week. Too fucking tired and stiff from the hard work. I’m hoping it gets easier because I feel depressed without my hobby. I never realized how fulfilling lifting is.

I’m motivated to move on and get an actual job with a good company.

>and why are you still poor if you’re making $45 an hour?

What do you mean by this?

I would soak in as much knowledge about how to build houses and then I'd build houses on my own/ start a business. I'm in roofing sales and I make a shit load of money (125kyr) but I'm at the top of sales. Save your money and live as cheaply as possible in the meantime. Money breeds opportunity.

Jesus Christ use paragraphs, you're making us look bad.

this

Spend money on good gloves and good boots.

Turn in coworkers who drink on the job.

Attached: tDj3L.jpg (574x960, 60K)

A bad time

This seems like a good time to share my construction and concrete stories. You can find some good people in these jobs, but also total backwater retards, and the two people I had to work with were the definition of white trash.

Go ahead, it'll enlighten me since I'm going into that. And others who are doing the same that are browsing this thread.

>18, fresh out of HS, living in bumfuck prairie canda
>horrid anxiety and trouble finding a job
>chad sheep-shearing MMA friend comes to my house one day with a job offering
>"hey want to pour concrete with me I work with this local guy"
>not really no
>"great I'll pick you up saturday at 7am"
>14 hour day pouring concrete, honestly it was ballbustingly hard but I enjoyed it, might go into details about that experience later
>turns out this guy, named Mark, actually does a lot of construction as well, so I was bamboolzed
>next time I work we are in a different town constructing a shed for this realtor/farmer, chill guy
>this is when I meet t h e m
>cody and shane, two brothers, aged 22 and 24, both live with their parents, both don't own a learners license, both smell like shit, both dumb as a fucking doornail
>first day on the jobsite we are aligning the trusses on the top of the barn
>it is HEAVILY preferred that these trusses are all as equally spaced as possible, for structural reasons and to make nailing pre-cut 2x4s on top of them not pure fucking hell
>one of the dipshit brothers is on one end of the building trying to align the truss coming in from a bobcat, some chill native dude on the other
>natives dude side turns out to be completely fine, shane's side is actually wacked the fuck out
>boss mark yells at him for fucking it up, can't go back and change that shit now because of the reinforcement down the middle
>this reinforcement was installed by cody, who smashed his thumb with the hammer 3 times while installing them

continue

>payday the following friday comes
>cody gets only 200$ because he wasn't there for any concrete pours and only worked 2 days that week
>proceeds to tell mark "don't give me any of the money"
>we ask why not it's fucking money
>"im just gonna waste it on the weekend, just put it on my next paycheck"
>"well how about... you just don't waste it?"
>"okay I won't waste it see you monday"
>monday comes
>"hey cody what did you do with your 200$"
>"I bought a vape"
>he brought the vape to work every day and eventually broke it after 2 weeks

>installing side 2x4's on the outside of the building, tin is going to be pre-drilled and placed on these 2x4's so they measurements all have to line up
>MMA friend and native bro on one side, I'm doing some caulking shit on the outside edges of the building
>boss makes the mistake of putting both retards on one side of the building
>while my friend manages to finish an entire bottom row within 45 minutes or so, the two dipshits have not installed a single board
>check to see what they are doing over there
>instead of using a tape to measure they are both on stepladders trying to balance the board one on each side while both trying to nail it
>what in christ
eventually MMAbro finishes his side, within the next couple of days we also finish the other side
>all outer siding done
>except that one single ugly ass board thats tilted like fucking 45 degrees up and covered in about 20 nails
>we decide to rip it out and replace it simply because of how terrible it looks
>friend is having a bitch of a time ripping the nails out, needs my help
>finally get them out
>they are double-headed
>this dumb nigger nailed double heads all the fucking way into the board

>one day work is almost over, boss already left we just had to tidy up
>cody is standing on a support beam that we have punched in the ground and nailed into the wall, to keep it upright until we get proper support for it
(cont)

>tfw construction management and get to leisurely walk around site watching people break their backs

Attached: 1446568941692.gif (197x200, 1.46M)

>"hey guys imagine if I slid down this thing like I was skateboarding lol what would happen"
>we both tell him you would probably fall horribly and injure yourself looking like a retard
>"yea lol I'd probably totally fuck it up and get hurt what a dumb idea that would be"
>...
>...
>"hey guys im gonna do it"
>if you do cody you are going to look like a retard and just needlessly hurt yourself
>"alright yea im just kidding I wouldn't do that it would be dumb"
>...
>we turn around to look at something
>turn back around at cody in about 2 seconds
>he's fucking sliding down the 2x4 like a madman
>falls off, slams his back, head lands half an inch from a fucking sharp rock
>"haha WOW guys that really was dumb why did I DO that lol man that hurt"
>yea cody you really are fucking retarded huh
>proceeds to complain the entire way home how much pain he is in (he has no car so we have to drive him to his shit acreage wasteland

>some months pass, other dumb shit happens like cody picking up entire bundles of barbed wire with no gloves and a short sleeve
>this is really my first job so it's not like I know anything about safety, just think he's a retard to laugh at and nothing more
>then one day
>setting up in the morning, just got to jobsite
>boss tells me to setup with scaffolding with cody, it's just sitting in a corner all we gotta do is untie it from the building and move it
>MMAbro is getting the air compressor turned on (2 retards can't use a hammer, need a nailgun if they are forced to nail something)
>boss calls me over to do something quick while I was moving the scaffold, leave cody alone
>now you see, most garages, especially very large ones for tractors like this, have a slant towards the middle for water to drain
>it drains into a giant hole in the ground, and while we were waiting for the grated plate to arrive, we simply had a piece of stryofoam with a GIANT red X on it
>turn around after helping boss and sure enough

anyjob is a labor job u fuckn pansy

Expect jack shit in terms of income

How much did you make monthly?

I'm a highschool graduate, not planning to go to college just yet.
Any good job/trade recomendations?

>cody has one leg of the scaffold right smack dab through the stryofoam and into the hold
>2 whole fucking stories of scaffold come crashing down
>right next to the air compressor where MMAbro was like 5 seconds ago
>air compressor just barely escaped with it's life, nobody hurt, had to spend entire morning taking apart and rebuilding scaffold

>time passes once more, more stupid shit happens, cody moves intown but forgot he has no car so didnt plan for how he was going to get to work anymore (boss used to have to pick him up, yes really) shane was arrested and thrown in a drunktank the night before work in the morning
>time comes again for my life to be threatened
>installing strapping on the ceiling for the tin to rest on (because dipshits fucked up the truss measurements we couldn't use them)
>installing it on the walls is fine and dandy, on the ceiling however, it is a massive pain in the ass
>because I am so much taller than cody (MMAbro and shane are basically no longer with us btw) one side of the scaffold has been raised for cody and lowered for me
>makes working easier, but when we need to switch places, which is often, it is a pain in the dick
>also need to use the nailgun because nailing on ceiling while looking upward = hard
>cody has nailgun for some reason god why did I give that to him, we need to switch places
>as we awkwardly slide past eachother I can feel it
>the butt end of the nailgun is pushed right up against my skull, can hear the priming click meaning it can be fired
>within that split second if that drugged high as a kite retard hit the trigger (which isn't hard because it's press activated, so it's got a light trigger) I would have been literally dead
>move my head so fucking fast you don't know what the fuck
>cody doesn't even recognize anything wrong has happened, continues with his day
>
I got 15 canadadollars an hour. Hours were very wild and fluxated. Will explain more in next post.

Well don't froget your hard hat!
Better safe then sorry!

Underwater welding

very nice troll

So basically the man I worked for was a retired contractor, who just had time on his hands. He used to have a huge firm in the 70's, but now he just focused on small projects out on farms where inspectors aren't breathing down your neck. Because of this hours were extremely strange. My first day was almost 14 hours. My second day on the job, with the trusses, was about 9. Some days were only 2 hours long. Some we cancelled because of the weather, some because he forgot a tool we needed and wasn't feeling like it. This is also why he hired fucking retards like cody and shane, it's hard for him to find people willing to do this kind of work with these hours and that pay, so he pulled them out with great dismay and regret anytime we needed an extra pair of hands.
It was definitely a learning experience for me more than a moneymaker, but I'd never fucking go back.
If you are physically fit, try concrete pouring. I actually enjoyed that bit of my job, even with the conditions I had to deal with. It's fucking hard though. My first day on the job was driving a wheelbarrow filled with 300lbs of sludge across a 2x4 plank to the desired location of my boss where it can be dumped and leveled, if you fell off you risked damaging the infloor heating and ruining literally everything. Did that for 8 hours straight or so, had a lunch, spend the rest of the day troweling. It's usually not that bad though, only fucking basements.

that shit pays tons. especially deep water welding

That's one of the most alpha jobs I can imagine

Attached: Underwater_Power_Tools.jpg (800x350, 64K)

Just do a good job as a carpenter and work your way into management. Most of all site managers and higher ups are carpenters to begin with, at least in the UK.

Carpentry is fucking sweet anyway. If you don't like outdoor construction go be a shop or kitchen fitter, go self-employed, make easy money.
Dudes I've met that whine about it are too stupid and too shit at the job to work efficiently and cost effectively.
I can knock out a 2 day job in a day, to high spec and get paid silly money for it just because I'm good at what I do.

Don't do any painting/decorating though. That shit will fucking wreck your back and knees.

Ahh that's pretty much the worst thing about construction: The stupidity of your co-workers. I mean you're going to meet some really fucking dumb people; people too dumb to do anything but carry bricks all day.

That's why I don't like site-work so much especially if the brickies are still in the vicinity when I'm going my fits because, despite the ridiculous amount of health and safety laws and provisions, those dumb fuckers are still walking disasters and will habitually do stupid stuff that puts coworkers at risk of serious injury.

Better to find a good shop fitting crew to work with where everyone is capable and professional. Safer, quicker jobs, better jobs, more money and high level bants.

So that was most of the big stories, but there are some other stuff very perplexing about these 2, including
>neither cody nor shane knew how to read a tape measure. If someone every asked for the length of a board, they would hook it up, and start rattling off the first number they saw.
>cody had a native gf that literally looked like a potato, and he mooched off her grandmother as a way to survive until she kicked them both out. A long while later after I left this job, MMAbro informed me that cody at some point had beaten the shit out of his gf and now a bunch of angry natives were out looking for blood.
>Shane tried applying for a Zamboni job out in some other town only because there was a local hemp/weed shop there. He somehow failed to get the job and the shop was closed due to some suspicious activity.
>one day on the way home from work we were having some cheeky banter and telling some funny stories, when suddenly cody starts talking about how this teenager at school overdosed and died and the mother is blaming him for it but he swears he dindu nuffin and shes just a stupid bitch and it basically killed the entire vibe.
>one time, long before I joined this job, my boss mark was installing a new door for a client, and the client wanted the doorknob of the old door for a different door of his. Mark tells shane to take the door to the truck bed and take off the door handle. Shane smashes the handle to pieces with a hammer and then rips it off with his hands. Shane was fired that day.
I mean there are people that are doing the hard labor simply because that's all there is to do. Pretty much everyone at my job would be considered a "brickie" considering the few people we had. But sometimes you just need extra hands, and sometimes the only thing around to use is a pair of fucking goddamn rejects.

I make like $100+ /hr (Australia) as a carpenter. Spend weeks/months at a time away from home so I have no fucking life at all outside of work.
Just dealing with this shit for another few years while I finishing paying off my house and will look for something better after.

What are you looking towards?

idk how you can watch people work and feel ok about it

How are you making that much money as a carpenter

oh I've got one more, pretty sure this is the last one, the only other stuff I can remember is working with those bro german guys who accents were so thick they were unintelligible and literally farmed 24+ hours at a time nonstop

>installing ceiling tin over the strapping now
>even more a bitch than the strapping itself, need all hands on deck
>have to call both cody and shane back for help
>mark is on ground overseeing, I'm on one scaffold holding a giant flobby fucking razor over my head, cody is on a different scaffold across from me, shane is fucking sitting between the two like a goddamn trapeze artist holding up the middle
>so many fucking safety violations this must be breaking god dam
>keep in mind nobody wore helmets, goggles, gloves, harnesses, we were basically 2 stories high and I was the only one of the 3 in steel toes, 2 dumbfucks were in sneakers
>tin has a bunch of small ridges for a e s t h e t i c but one giant obvious ridge that fits over the previous piece of tin, to make sure they all line I up correctly
>I check my end
>cody checks his
>shane makes sure the middle isn't bowing out
>everything checks out, put up holders made from old cuts so we can drill with 2 free hands
>about halfway done drilling my side
>"sorry guys, my side actually isn't on"
>oh what the fuck
>go check
>he's off by an entire fucking ridge
>take out every single screw and repeat the process again
>he fucked this up almost EVERY SINGLE TIME

Good stories user, what job are you in now?

If I wanted to continue a trade I'd probably be an electrician, renewable energy is of interest to me.
I'd urge anyone who is thinking of starting a trade to looking into electrical, great pay and working conditions compared to most other trades.

I work in the kind of places nobody else will. 35c degrees+ heat, swarms of flies, abo kids constantly trying to knock off your tools and the closest form of civilization is 1000km away. Some days I just want to blow my brains out.
The guys I work with are cool people though, most are in similar situations. Nothing like the stories from the other guy in this thread, everyone knows exactly what they're doing and are great to banter with, it's what gets me through the day.

I'm currently working in some shitty produce section at a supermarket while in school. I'm moving in the fall to uni and transferring to engineering. Job sometimes makes me wish for the old days, it's very boring and easy, but a lot of my coworkers are chill. I'm glad I did it because it was my first job ever really, was too busy with sports in HS to get a job and I didn't want one, but good god I am even more glad I'm not fucking there anymore. Especially once our classic -40C winters hit and we were drilling metal tin trimming into the side of a building outdoors, from a latter on the top of a bucket of a bobcat, without gloves. And especially that indoor reno shit.

Can go into specifics if any aussies are lurking and interested in that type of work btw.

>not getting a STEM career

do you hate pussy?

How many people do you work with? How can I work over there and make your money? $100 an hour? What exactly are you doing?

Can an american go over there an do what you're doing? What are the qualifications?

Pussy bitch

Faggot

Unironically it's testosterone maintenance. The biggest cause for testosterone decline in youth is inactivity, by working your ass off all day you'll maintain a respectable level of testosterone even if you don't work out outside of work.

Is programming stem?

This is why I want to have a blue collar job instead of a desk job. I've been sedentary for most of my life, I will NOT work in front of any computers.

advice- lift before work because you will be beat after work!

EAT well and pack good lunches!

What are some good lunches I could pack

theyre called duplex nails

commercial plumbing

its a real thing dipshit

this guy is retarded

this

19 year old apprentice plumber and im so glad i didnt go to college

Depending on the country/area you live in, pay will be moderate to good. Take care of your safety, good boots and work gloves, ear- and eye protection. Eat healthy, it’s very tempting to eat like a mongrel. You’re gonna get mocked a lot until there is another new kid. Work hard, sleep well, share a beer with your colleagues on Friday (don’t get tempted into drinking during the week).

It’s an honest and very fulfilling job.

Learn Spanish

Heaps of nuts you can munch on during the day (nohomo). heaps of fruit and veg, consider drinking a fruit smoothie before work, you'll feel more energized from that than a coffee. And obviously dring a cund don ofe wader XDDD

Bananas, squeeze some orange juice in the morning, pack some hard boiled eggs, eat sandwiches with some cheese, lettuce and ham. Drink milk.