Martial Arts

What do you practise? Share your thoughts and experiences.
I'm looking to get into judo, but am a little nervous.

Attached: uchi-mata_med_hr.jpg (450x194, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=--azfFglXO4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what are you nervous about user?
The absolute foundation of Judo is mastering how to fall as to reduce or eliminate the impact of a fall or throw. You'll see, and you'll be amazed at the falls and throws you can take without feeling a thing.

I was never enrolled in any sports or group activities as a child. I grow up in the middle of nowhere so I never had the opportunity. I'm fit, but nervous about trying something new. I just learned that the place I moved to is down the street from the biggest judo dojo in my country. It'll likely be insanely expensive, but I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge.

Aikido
I probably end up fucking up an elbow or shoulder once a year, but its a bit of fun.
This guy is right too, solong as you're in a good dojo, you'll learn how to deal with falls. Be humble, listen to what you're being taught

Did BJJ for aa couple years, looking to join up again at my local mma gym sometime this week.

looking forward to getting back into it, would highly recommend everyone at least try a martial art for a while. Really helped me feel a lot more confident

boxing/judo
kicking is for fags

leg kicks are the realest deal though

Mostly shadowboxing for hours. Roll with some BJJ BBs sometimes, but believe it or not, the shadowboxing helps.

Does anyone know what a typical collegiate / high school wrestling work out routine entails? I've only ever done kickboxing/striking arts and when I started to train in wrestling all these tiny manlets with 14" biceps on the hang were fucking throwing my bass around the mat like crazy. What exactly is there strength and conditioning workouts? And why are they not swole as fuck? What is this dense muscle mass theory?

Attached: matt-hughes-400x360.jpg (400x360, 29K)

>leg kicks are the realest deal though
Nah. Right cross counters it, look up Lethwei.

I don't believe it, unless you mean for cardio.

There are protocols online for airdyne workouts and such. A lot of wrestlers barely lift till they hit collegiate level, they just feel impossibly strong because of strong stabilizers and better technique.

i know what lethwei is, they kick each other in the legs all the time

>Does anyone know what a typical collegiate / high school wrestling work out routine entails?
I read some studies and book because I'm not American and don't have access to a wrestling gym.

Basically, it's 30-60 minutes wrestling and 30-60 minutes lifting/calisthenics, mostly endurance. Nothing special per se. Finland does a lot of max strength training (their lifts read more like a shot putter's) but they are not a top tier wrestling nation,

You can also look up East german strength standards for wrestlers, but keep in mind they were on copious amounts of roid.

CAN counter it. There's a reason people still kick all the time in Muay Thai and Lethwei. A good swing kicker can disguise the turn and change direction until the last second, and kicks at the extreme range of the cross.

they threw you around because they actually know how to wrestle and you don't even know what a collar tie is

>Nah. Right cross counters it, look up Lethwei.
quote from man TKO'd via leg kick

Practicing Muay Thai feels great so far and I like the idea of using arms and legs + elbows and knees. I was interested like since two years ago and now I practice once a week
You don't wanna fuck with an elbow strike well executed
I wanted to get into Judo at my uni but my schedule won't let me do so fml

>I don't believe it, unless you mean for cardio.
Ask the Cubans. They mostly do shadowboxing and not much else. So did the Soviets, the old time bare knuckle boxers from England and the ancient Greeks.

Shadowboxing is top tier. Everything else was bolted on later for sport specific training, not for fighting (example: Try to hit a heavy bag for 3-5 rounds with bare hands, it can't be done regularly without gloves). Back in the 17th/18th century people even looked down on sparring and said it was a different sport from boxing/pugilism because the whole thing became so different (no grappling, different punches).

The bad ones do. The good ones counter a leg kick with a right cross (works almost every time, I'd say 9 times out of 10) and the Thai clinch with headbutts. You can watch Muay Thai vs Lethwei matches to really see the difference, even the Thais completely change their game and avoid the clinch and leg kick for the most part.

Bare knuckle and gloves are different games, completely different.

>There's a reason people still kick all the time in Muay Thai and Lethwei.
They do in MT, not in Lethwei. Kicks are easy to counter bare knuckle.

>A good swing kicker can disguise the turn and change direction until the last second, and kicks at the extreme range of the cross.
That doesn't happen in practice, though. Don't confuse drills and sparring with a real fight or even a competition fight.

I've been practicing boxing. After lifting I the following routine twice a week:
>5 mins of jump rope
>3 minutes on the speed bag
>five 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest in between rounds
>5 mins of jump rope

It's not a lot, and I don't plan on competing, but I've really got down a lot of basic technique now and feel confident I wouldn't just get my shit rocked.

>quote from man TKO'd via leg kick
If you get TKO'd from a leg kick, then you have other problems than talking about leg kicks, man.

So when's your next muay thai fight?

youtube.com/watch?v=--azfFglXO4 For example, here's Jordan Burroughs, who was the greatest freestyle wrestler in the world for like 10 years. The weights aren't crazy, but look how smooth his technique is, and that huge box jump. If you can bench 2x and squat 3x body weight, thats all the strength you'll ever need, even against top level competition. After that it's just Strength endurance and cardio. Wrestling hard to program because you basically need high levels of every attribute.

I don't do MT, I sparred MT guys regurlaly when I did karate, though. It's really overrated. Boxing is much more dangerous.

Why? It's difficult to hit a boxer. MT guys don't have footwork and are even stiffer than Karate guys, if that's possible.

delusiounal

>Jordan Burroughs, who was the greatest freestyle wrestler in the world for like 10 years.
You must be American.

No, I'm just much, much longer in the game than you.

>greatest freestyle wrestler in the world for like 10 years

Attached: Screen shot 2018-02-24 at 1.16.00 PM.png (222x246, 50K)

delusional

Bro, you are a nobody. I studied Karate and Judo under a Tokyo ex-SWAT guy, I did Sanda with a national trainer and the national team from China, I did boxing with the Bavarian vice champ and Karate with the later EU champ in Kumite. I even did Kickboxing and Kung Fu with a Black Belt Hall of Famer and world champion in breaking.

I had great luck with my teachers. You go training 3x a week in the current fotm mall martial art.

In the future, I'd like to do some more grappling and boxing, but the schools here are meh.

lol
how many matches do you have?

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Matches in what? Lmao, I wouldn't even be cleared by any medical institute right now.

due to delusions of grandeur?

Muay Thai. I work in a prison and it's already come in handy a few times.

Attached: 1024px-Womens_Muay_Thai_teep.jpg (1024x678, 149K)

Been doing Aikido for a decade or so, Judo for 8 years, BJJ for 5 and recently picked up boxing.

It's all fun, but be careful when you compete, that's where you get serious injuries. One of my opponents had to get double shoulder surgery after I did a brutal ushiro goshi. Another one didn't tap for a footlock and got snapped metatarsals for his effort. Severely fucked over my shoulder when trying to turn out of an uchi-mata once etc.

Still having lots of fun.

Former Judo guy here. The sport itself is great, but it takes a long time to get even somewhat competent in the throws.

If your dojo is worth anything you will spend the majority of the beginning months falling and uchikomi. Safety is huge. I've seen some injuries and aches and pains but a good coach can mitigate a lot of that. The only real issue you'll have is training partners since most of the programs here in the US are directed at children.

I kind of want to get into BJJ or muay thai because i want to learn how to defend myself.
I'm a fat guy who has been lurking for ages so i probably won't ever try it.

reminder that grappling > striking

Attached: 1522266695134.jpg (643x720, 154K)

HERESY

Attached: 0d8d44a985bace23dfa41d16a5787de671d5cb077f34db1f555ef0b22a844566.png (629x1173, 131K)

>Jow Forums has better MA discussion than /asp/

making it a containment board for wrestling fucking killed that place

Attached: 1522516336022.jpg (720x491, 28K)

Do it faggot. It's legitimately fun.

Don't be nervous, just go. I've done karate, judo, boxing, Muay Thai, TKD and Greco Roman wrestling. Everyone I've met has been friendly.

childhood is idolizing BJJ
adulthood is realizing Judo makes the most sense

ascension is the mastery of Baguazhang

Attached: Sun_bagua.jpg (150x222, 19K)

reminder

Attached: rre4t5guv0701.png (2193x650, 304K)

bro rly
just kys
u're retarded

Do you fags have any heavy bag drills to recommend? Stuff I can do at home before I have the time/money to go to a proper MA gym. I have some very basic MT experience and some boxing in college.

Dabbled in some Tai Chi and found some really interesting concepts that are relevant across all martial arts, but I have yet to figure out how the Bagua circling stuff works at all.

based

Attached: 1521755211282.jpg (750x1320, 162K)

kysxF
utube is full of that shit

Thoughts on muay thai??

krav maga

So you're mastering the art of grabbing balls?

user most judo schools are community center level cheap unless they train olympians

also a BB i know got his ocular nerve severed from hitting his head. now he’s permanently blind in one eye

Attached: AF53E18D-4B63-4335-B072-8245C712B186.jpg (1200x859, 202K)

It's a great martial art. Like with any martial art you have to spend time with it to learn what works in a street fight and what works in competition. Both are very different situations.

Attached: muay-thai-female-fight-yokkao.jpg (1493x992, 252K)

Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

All honesty though, jiu jitsu is secondary to muay thai for me, because I like thai better than grappling, however, if you are going to start something, start with brazilian jiu jitsu. It's far superior to judo and you can kick any judoka's ass with jiu jitsu.

nani the fuck

While this one does have a weight room and has produced olympians, I was always under the impression that all dojos were expensive. Thats actually a great motivation for me to do some more digging.

no ball grabbing in krav maga, perhaps you are thinking of groin kicks and strikes

>It's far superior to judo and you can kick any judoka's ass with jiu jitsu.
Now try that without a tatami or rules preventing slamming.

>slamming

When I finally starting being able to lift my opponents enough to slam them, it was such a rush. It's like how a fucking serial killer feels.

>Not being able to lift the average adult male

Attached: 1522530306064.jpg (400x527, 46K)

This is in hamburgerland but yeah it’s way less than BJJ or Aikido

any blue belt would go for a double leg and until brown belt most judoka can't even understand what it is nowdays thanks to IJF leg grabbing ban.

do you realize that a judoka still know what to do on the ground unless he trained at mcdojo?