Anyone else /row/ in highschool and college? Is there a more chad sport?

anyone else /row/ in highschool and college? Is there a more chad sport?
>long history associated with the intellectual and elite, typically attracts the true rennaisance man
>first intercollegiate sport in America, old tradition among the most prestigious colleges
>deep meta-game of biomechanical theory that appeals to the engineering man, 100s of years worth of academic research papers specifically about rowing efficiency
>opportunity to combine your strength with 10s of thousands of dollars worth of aerospace grade carbon fiber and aluminum
>blend of power and endurance, selects for and hones one of the more aesthetic endurance athlete builds, preserves much more upper body muscle mass compared to running
>2nd highest V02max of any sport behind cross country skiing
>low injury/impact yet brutal workout, instills discipline that leaks into the rest of your life making you a better man
>rarity elevates it above normie magnet ball sports, always impresses in job interviews and social encounters alike
>highest chance of any high school sport for receiving a college scholarship, plus good rowing schools = good academic schools
>In college provides the chance for anyone, even novice rowers to become Varsity athletes at their school and be a part of a centuries old legacy
>When you can finally glide in an 8, you'll understand why it's considered the ultimate team sport

Attached: row.png (325x192, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

concept2.com.au/indoor-rowers/training/wod
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I did. Post college racing took me all over the world and made great friends. The credentials helped me get a great career and the sport prepared me to handle hardship in my life. I have had no better experience and i miss it dearly. Still work out daily with old teammates.

I'm in my first year after college right now and now that spring season is starting up again and I'm not a part of it anymore, I'm feeling a little depressed. I've been lifting and running to stay in shape, but i can't decide if I want to join the local master's club or to try and move on from the sport and try new things

Masters rowing wont be the same. After 15 years i was tired of competing, but i still had to fill the void. If you apply yourself the same way to other areas of life or other sports you can be very successful and happy. Exchange it with other things, there is much more to life including enjoying your youth. Dont try to replace it, because nothing else compares.

Where do I learn how to row?

Private clubs sometimes offer introductory classes, then schedule regular practices with other beginners.

Too late for me, sophomore in college

I did it my first semester of college, but I quit because it was destroying my GPA. I would get home from practice at 8:30pm and fall asleep at 9 without even touching any of my homework, I liked the actual rowing though.

I always thought rowing looked cool, and it's one of my favorite exercises in the gym, too bad my college doesn't offer it

Were you on the national team? When did you graduate college?

US, yes. 09.

definitely not too late! many colleges have competitive novice programs that can develop anyone into a solid oarsman in a few years. There are American olympic rowers that had never picked up an oar until mid college! not many other sports' elite level is that accessible. they'll definitely be happy to have an extra man especially if you have a history in other sports (swimming translates really well) or are tall

That’s awesome. If you don’t mind my asking what field were you able to get into? Would you recommend it to other people?

I have a degree in mechanical engineering but ended up in healthcare IT. Ive been everything in IT, currently in cloud operations. Highly recommended, high pay, challenging, tons of avenues to take and openings everywhere. I got in to it through a data entry job where i learned SQL. Had it while i was training, happened in to a startup as a data analyst afterward.

If i went back now id get a degree in comp sci or an mba.

>especially if you have a history in other sports (swimming translates really well) or are tall
Welp.

>tfw you used to row in highschool, but you never grew past 5'10, and you're too scared of the constant loss to get back into it again

Attached: 000000000000000000.jpg (591x800, 58K)

One guy on my college club team joined as a junior and is now fastest out of 40 people

>Tfw relatively fit
>Tfw tall/fat/tall and fat person sits down and rips sub 7 after being on the couch their whole life

Feels bad man

I liked rowing but I hated everyone on my team.

No shame giving it a shot if you're interested! rowers are usually a chill welcoming bunch, we had this kid join my senior year, had to be pushing 280lbs couldn't do a single pushup, never played sport in his life. guy stuck with it and somehow discovered he had this illogically freakish cardio reserve, crushed my 6k and hour test times his first year

I rowed highschool, but waited until junior year of college to pick it back up, it was demoralizing to see how shit your times are compared to where you were, but I'm super glad I did it

Only rowed in a boat once or twice inmy life but I'm seriously digging this thread and rowers acting as if they are apart of some elite guild. Can rowing be worth getting into post teens? I'm 24 and want in. I want to taste the golden glory of rowing.

Rower in high school. It's one of the most mentally and physically demanding sports but I loved being on the water. 4 boats were the best, just enough people to make balance still easy but not so many people to fight if someone fucks up. Unfortunately joining a club outside of a school program is hella expensive.

What's the whole deal of being tall and good at rowing about, also what is the deal with 'sub 7' is that a speed or something?

'Sub 7' is getting a 2 km time that is less than 7 minutes on a rowing machine; it usually indicates a good level of fitness + strength
Also, the taller you are, the more power you can put down in the boat (oar is in the water longer)

The taller you are the longer your limbs are. Thus longer stroke. Longer stroke = boat moves forward faster in fewer strokes. A lot of races are 2000 meters (but some are 10k) lasting roughly 8ish minutes. That's not a lot of time to make up lost ground if another boat passes you.

I don't row but I can do 1500 in 6 mins on the machine , I've only been doing it for a month so it's probably not a good score

yea 1500 in 6 mins gives you a split of 2:00; which means that your 2k would be 8:00. But keep at it if you want results
concept2.com.au/indoor-rowers/training/wod

I played football for two years and started rowing my junior year, in a state without much water even. Its never too late especially if you have an athletic base!

Cheers

I rowed all through highschool. I still remember my final race, eight short and scrawny kids who's school was infamous for coming last. With only one sub 7 in the boat, we beat a crew that far outmatched us physically, through technique and guts. First time in 8 years a crew in the senior division beat another. Still came second last, but shit like that is why I love the sport and miss it.

I was doing 100m intervals with 10 seconds rest and stopped.
Recently started doing 2km and have gone 10:38, 9:38, 9:27.

Have something to aim for now cheers lad.

tfw /Winklevoss/

Well high level has passed for you, but that doesnt mean you cant still get fit and enjoy racing.

Rowed surfboats nigga. Imagine doing the rowing on a six meter canoe in heavy ass surf with four other dudes. Fucked up my back unfortunately but it was high test as fuck plus the girls at competitions were fine as hell

How heavy/light do you set the resistance of the rowing machine to do that?

120 to 130 drag, 34 spm.

on a concept 2 brand erg that would be around a 5 on the fan

Thanks man, I'll hit that tonight. I usually just do the stationary bike, but I'm looking to switch it up a bit

Attached: full_053_0617211512364816.jpg (1920x1280, 489K)

No one gives a shit about it besides bored rich people but I mean if that's your thing then go for it

Why am I so slow?
What's a good training plan to get lots of endurance, very quickly?

I'm considering polarised training which studies show to be the most effective way to gain cardio fitness
>80% of volume easy, below threshold
>20% of volume hard, way above threshold, basically as hard as possible

I'm thinking of doing it like this:
>day 1 hard, some kind of intervals for 30-60 minutes on the erg
>day 2 easy, maybe a 10k or an hour at 18-22 stroke rate
>day 3 same thing as day 2, maybe bike machine instead but the same output (roughly 200 watts)

And repeat so it's a 3 day split
Any thoughts?

Attached: IMG_1448.jpg (3264x2448, 1.17M)

Also are there any free resources on training rowing at the elite level? Everything I see on google is basically aimed towards beginners or crossfit, can't find any Olympic tier training programmes

>your thread made me google my colleges rowing team, sounds kinda fun
>no manlets allowed
oh well

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 2.43.38 AM.png (408x117, 30K)

What does that mean? On the rowing machines at my gym we have a scale with a lever from 1 to 10 on the side, but other than that you can't change any settings I think

>go to a big rowing college
>getting stronger and more athletic
Maybe I will give it a shot. I feel like I won't have a chance though considering how competitive my school is with it and that I'm almost done being a freshman.

Attached: Boathouse-Row-sunset-R-Kennedy-2200VP.jpg (2200x1237, 553K)

trip on isley

Rowing was my entire life from ages 15-17. It was all I thought about. It was all I wanted to do. I remember when my idol, a guy I had only met once but was the brother of my sister's best friend, I remember when my coach said that this guy was the smallest guy on his college team, that I realized my hope of rowing in college was futile and would be worthless. He was 6'3. My coach was only 6'1 back in the day and only barely made the varsity boat. So did the 6'3 guy with a 6:06 2k. So when my coach said that 6'3 was small, and I was only 6'0 and asthmatic, I went to my car after practice and just cried. I was still the fastest on my team with a 6:29 2k but I realized I would probably never get under 6:15 during college.

It's a shame that I was born asthmatic. I tought myself so much about steroids in the last year and even ran a cycle. However, there's no point in rowing if I'm a medical anomaly. When I was on cycle I was taking so many drugs for this and that. 3 different asthma meds as it stands today and off cycle. I'm just settling for being a natty bicyclist. Maybe my future kids can become proficient in a sport like rowing or cycling. It was my dream.

Anyone who actually hits 34spm will set the drag higher. College athletes should use a drag of 150-160. More if they are freaks.
>Also are there any free resources on training rowing at the elite level?
Steroids. Also, try to train like a cyclist, only much less volume is needed obviously.
I would aim for 2 10ks per week day until you can figure out what works for you and on weekends do a 6x500m test (5 minutes rest between each piece) and a 2k test. Carb the fuck up and eliminate most fat from your diet. Really. Especially if you take my advice and tear up your natty card (which you should).
That's kind of fucking retarded that they object to shorter guys. Post the website. They should be chewed out for that. Even with a low budget they should at least let shorter guys try out on the erg. A lot of the best light weight rowers are only 6' or 6'1
Isley is done rowing.

uwu here was my lazy row this week and not ashamed at phoneposting

Attached: DCFBE8C5-1280-4E5F-8D18-A7F286E2A1C5.jpg (3264x2448, 1.36M)

I envy your sadness, I never had any dreams of my own to even lose in the first place. Simply existing safely is my #1 priority and it all feels grey.

Only thing about rowing I know is that I easily beat first one female rower on the college team, then two at once.

I'm fat and don't usually work out with lifting.

Lmfao guys is this the state of american rowing
These are horrible times for lightweight women, let alone men on a supposed fitness forum

>comparing yourself to girls

I will/have already gotten rid of natty card (mk677 for months), have test on the way.

What times should I aim for on the 6x500, and should I do the 10ks easy, or pushing myself ?

European style rower here, second year of rowing, already been scouted by oxford brookes
Train 9* per week
6:06 2k max @ 88kg
I probably know almost everything there is to know about rowing and everything surrounding it, the boats, physiology, training theory.

>Reading comprehension

>should I do the 10ks easy, or pushing myself ?
relatively easy because they're meant for volume and getting a cardio base. you shouldnt be exceeding 130 bpm heart rate on them or else you will either burn out, get injured, etc...

people don't realize how far that simple, easy mileage can get you.

>what times should I aim for on the 6x500m
When I was a 17 year old I remember the hardest thing I did was a 6x500m and my average was 1:35.7 for the "on" segment. stroke rate was 36 s/m.

For a beginner I would aim for sub 1:50. Eventually you can decide how to pace yourself. You should be going all out on each 500m.
>european style rower here
What the fuck does this even mean.

Ama btw

If you knew everything about physiology and training theory your 2k would be lower than 6:06. Being in the top quarter of college rowers in terms of times doesn't mean you know everything.

European style rower means that the drive is front heavy, and the recover is fluent. Americans have a horrible style where all they focus on is a hard hip drive and arms, causing the boat to dip like crazy, there are a lot of very strong rowers in the us, but they mean almost nothing internationally. Former yugoslavia style is strokerate above all. Oceania style is waiting at the end of the stroke, this works well in small boats, but the kiwi 8 for example sucks.

I'm in my second year mate, 6:06 is fast in this stage of training also training is very boat heavy, we seldom erg.

>kiwi 8 for example sucks.
That's because they have a population of 4.5 million and most of their strongest athletes are playing rugby or soccer or cycling. Or retired.
>drive is front heavy, and the recover is fluent.
this is so vague. everybody already does this. you aren't special.
>yugoslavia style is strokerate above all.
again, every country does this. I have met the American team and they start at 44 and settle to 40. Germany does this a little higher. Yugoslavia is not special in this regard.

Can you describe your training week in three hundred words (distances, stroke rates, times, rests, power output, heart rate, anything else you can think of)

>2nd year of training
>knows everything
Mirin that time but why do you know everything

Also could you guys recommend any useful accurate books or online resources about rowing that I could learn from

yeah, 2 years in high on continued in uni.
Got me a decent scholarship too.
I'm thinking about buying a single scull and taking it out on the weekends

>tfw do a 1:25 split for 500m as a warm up.
>1:25 for my 2.4km avg pace

Fuck I hate rowing, did it competitively for ages.

>European style
So GB, Italy, Germany, Denmark all have the same style do they? You're a fucking retard so you'll fit right in at Brooks

What the fuck?
That means you have a 5:40 2km??
Holy shit if true, are you Olympic athlete?

WHO

go into the menu of the machine and find the "adjust drag factor setting"

Then row for a little bit and on the screen it tells you the drag factor. SLiding the lever from 1 to 10 will change it.

This is a more accurate version, as there's variability between machines.

>strokerate yugoslavia
Mate look at the world championship, and compare the romanian 8 and the other 8's also the german 8 rates relatively very low in the first 500 meters
>Kiwi 8
The small kiwi numbers are very good, look at the kiwi singles and pairs
>everybody does this
There is a very distinct difference in force curves between countries
Because I am very curious and have read a lot of literature about it, I'm not saying im a perfect rower at all, but I do know what i do wrong.
Never on a C2 m80
>so all european countries have the same style
No, but european rowing styles can be seen as a group that is very distinct from north american style and kiwi/australia style. I just said european style because the rowing world isn't very big and if i said my country I could easily not be anonymous anymore
Monday rowing in the single sculls 20 km calm
Tuesday 2 hour medium intensity HR 160 endurancr training
Wednesday row medium intensity strokerate 22 technique in the coxless 2
Thursday morning row warming up +2*4k as fast as possible
Friday same as wednesday
Saterday competition or morning technique afternoon 4*1000m
Sunday competition or morning technique afternoon 1*2k

In the preseason we do strength training and erg

All rowing is in the coxless 4 btw unless otherwise specified

There isn't alot of litterature in rowing freely accesible to the public, i do have acces to a lot of papers from the rowing federation of my country, but they will probably not like it when i share them on a mongolian woodcarving society and besides they're not in english. Any rowing books you can buy in stores are pretty shit as far as i know since they are for beginners, dumbed down, outdated or describe the american rowing philosophy. Any good information is either learned by rowing yourself or confidential

What difficulty is the slider supposed to be on to rank your time on a C2 machine? Presumably 10 but I wanted to check

You are free to pit the slider at any level you see fit, although the slider is just a physical thing and is not connected to the computer in any way, the computer measures the amount of drag "drag factor" as called by the machine, this can be influenced by the slider obviously, but also internal resistance, dust, air density, and manufacturing differences, I recommend a drag factor of 120, this can be seen in the more option section and then display dragfactor, changing the slides adjusts this, in a new erg this is usually between 4 and 5 but in old dirty ergs can be as high as 8

You need to be 6'6+ to even compete. It's a bullshit sport for guys below 6'5. Like Basketball there is no reason to even try out if you are not tall af.

All rowers i have met are unathletic af. They can't run properly, they can't jump or play any sport where technique is necessary. The guys are legit bodylets.

Let me explain to you btw how a concept 2 erg works, because you seem to have some misunderstandings, the erg isnt like some gym equipment were higher is harder and you go slower on setting 10 no matter what. The concept 2 measures your power output by looking at how much force is applied to the chain for how long a distance Energy=Force*Distance, therefore putting therefore putting the slide higher means you are able to aplly more force more easily, but the stroke is slower and costs more energy, you have to ballance this, thus drag factor 120 (130 in the american rowing federation) is recommended

Yeah no, although being tall is a plus, 6'6" is not the manlet cutoff at all, hamish bond is 6'1" and was one of the best rowers of all time, also if you're gay and short you can always do lightweigth rowing
Matey rowing is for a very big part technique. Also speaking of hamish bond, he made a very succesfull switch from rowing to cycling

second this actually, rowers I've met have all been fairly un-athletic and surprisingly weak

What country?

>he made a very succesfull switch from rowing to cycling

Cycling is not a sport where technique is necessary. I am talking about sports like football, basketball (Yeah they can't jump or shoot), Volleyball, Hockey and ultimate or whatever normie sport i have played with rowers. They suck at that shit, the best guys at those kind of sports are football players. Technique carries over.

Thank you for this in-depth response, user.

Attached: 1515287553940-fit.jpg (720x652, 25K)

Hamish bond is 190 cm, 6'3 wtf are you talking about?

Scotland

>rips sub 7

Is this actually impressive where you come from?

I got a 6.37 my first year and got rediculed for it the whole time

I'm bad at feet and inches it was a rough esimate, also i've now checked it he's 189cm which rounded is 6'2", so only one inch of, the argument still applies though, he's shorter than 6'6"

Okay nice, he is only 14 cm taller than the average American male. Why are you even denying that you will never succeed in a sport where 190 cm is considered manlet tier, if you are

I remember my lightweight days..
The grumpyness got pretty intense in the locker rooms the week before a race

>fucking loved every second of my year as a lightweight

Then it just depends on you definition of athletisims, but okay so using your definition in your case all your rowing friends are physically retarded, this is entirely possible, my rowing buddies (including myself) are good at other sports and have played some at a high level, field hockey, basketball, swimming, cricket etc.
You're welcome
I cannot name a single good scottish rower, rowing in scotland is pretty shit to be honest
First it was 2m, now it was 190, also he wasnt just succesfull at 189, he absolutelly dominated, if he was 5 cm shorted he still would be very good, there are very succesfull heavyweight rowers who are 185 and have been to the ollympics, and there is a weigth division made specifically for manlets, you're full of shit mate

The unathletic guys i knew were from Denmark. Some of them were in the youth national team and trained 10+ times a week. Absolute retards at playing sports, but they were all 6'3+ so it was all good :)

shut the fuck up you self important ninny.

depends on your age when you first start. if youre a high schooler your first 2k is ideally under 7 minutes. if youre in college ideally under 6:40

>Youth
That explains, almost everyone who starts rowing in their youth ends up retarded. We tend to avoid putting youth rowers into our top teams because they are entitled, stubborn and lots of trouble to unlearn their wrong technique. Some youth rowers become very skilled but for most it's the wrong choice

I am a woman and rowing was a fun thing do in highschool so yeah. You're not wrong about the times.

This is terrible advice and a way to herniate your discs. No one serious sers the drag that high.

t. 5:55.