/csg/ no relevant pic edition

this is so that 15 "what martial art should I learn???" threads don't shit up the catalog at once

>Why start learning?
Defend yourself
It's fun
It's god-tier cardio.

>What start learning?
If you're interested in striking arts, try boxing, or Muay Thai if you're less interested in mobility, head movement, but more interested in learning elbows, knees, and kicks.

>But grappling?
BJJ schools are the easiest to come by, but wrestling is going to give you the most control on the ground, while also letting you fight to stay standing if you don't want to be taken down.

Catch wrestling is for sick cunts, if you can find a gym for it.
snakepitusa.com/about-us/locations/

>OFFSEASON LIFTING FOR COMBAT SPORTS
You're going to want to develop explosive ability for high reps, especially in your lower body. Do something like Westside for Skinny Bastards III
defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/
That's
MONDAY – Max-Effort Upper Body
TUESDAY – Dynamic-Effort Lower Body
WEDNESDAY – Off
THURSDAY – Repetition Upper Body
FRIDAY – Max-Effort Lower Body
SATURDAY – Off
SUNDAY – Off

Be wary of pseudoscience regarding martial arts (not just trad martial art kata faggotry).
While routines with high-volume pull ups and dips have their uses, even Western boxers are notorious for things like chugging their own piss.

>Weight cutting basics
grapplearts.com/how-to-cut-and-make-weight/

Attached: LiveMessage_2018-04-18-12-43-07.gif (600x600, 306K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6CrDXd8qj7A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who /box/ here?
Learned a cool technique from a friend yesterday night about open-stanced striking matchups. Pic isn't seriously related cause I haven't watched enough Pacquiao tape to see if he does this, but I've seen Max Holloway and Terrence Crawford do it

Attached: pacquiao.png (641x546, 752K)

Got in a fight recently and like everyone wants to fight me. What do against someone who is more experienced than you in fighting?

Attached: 1521224381969.png (365x274, 147K)

if you don't have a weapon and you cant run away from them, learn to fight you fucking nonce. Find a boxing or jiu jitsu gym around you.

When will the government give me my designated wrestler qt?

Attached: waifu wrestler.webm (222x400, 1.21M)

why she runnin?

Teacher started chasing her

>for me, it's the Chris

Attached: lQ-ksOWNL74[1].jpg (604x604, 77K)

Brain damage lmao

For grappling you should include judo clubs. They're typically super affordable. The local ones here are $30 a month

Autist charge, headbutt, screech, go for the eyes, then uppercut.

If I were manhandled that badly by a little girl in public I think I'd be obligated to an hero for the sake of my ancestors

>Old school way of doing Uchi Mata is useless

prove me wrong

What's your reasoning?

its very inefficient compared to the new way of doing it elbow high

Bros what do you think about taekwondo

meme

Why?

My fat ass younger brother was a black belt after like a year of training
Useless in mma which is the most realistic form of combat sport
Muia Thai is better.
In fact I'd claim muai Thai is the best striking martial art there is. Boxing only includes punches

TKD has been taken over by mcdojo bullshit everywhere in the West. The legit TKD that remains STILL gets BTFO by other striking arts cause it turns out fast whippy kicks that you chamber repeatedly from the knee

Did it for 10+ years when I was younger (lived in the countryside and there was a club 5 mins walk away)

Great cardio and a breddy fun sport, but pretty shit for actual fighting. For one thing, it's so points-based that force is never a priority, so you rarely see an emphasis on heavy bagwork

I found the next /csg/ OP picture, friends

Attached: waterpolo_fight_series_5__yt_choke_within_seconds__by_canterpark-d8o7yt7[1].jpg (993x804, 211K)

i won a silver at state titles and a gold at grappling industries last weekend, and weekend just gone respectively. AMA.

>BJJ

How did you win each match?

You DID win by submission, right user-kun?

Attached: jav actresses.jpg (1280x960, 112K)

points, ezekiel, lost by arm bar to win silver.

arm bar, points, footlock which resulted in a torn tendon to get gold.

winning on points is a pretty hollow victory, but winning by injuring your opponent is even worse.

at the end of the day I still got that bling tho.

I'm surprised no one's asked me for a time stamp.

>ezekiel
were you fighting white belts?

why do you buttscoot instead of learning a real combat sport?
>won by points
LMAO

i remember choking out bjj guys in their guard when i was still a judoka

cant get away with that now sadly

How did you set up the footlock brah?

Attached: 1508205796781.jpg (750x856, 88K)

bump

Has learning a martial art made anyone else subconsciously more confident?

I'm not looking for fights or anything like that, but find myself not backing down from threats. A week ago at a house (apartment) party, some drunk bros were causing problems and they wouldn't leave quietly. One of them threatened to kick my ass, but I just said "No you aren't. Leave." while maintaining strong eye contact. He wound up backing down and leaving.

I'm not physically big, but I would never involved myself in a situation like that before. I would have left it to some bigger guys to deal with.

for sure mang
not just in real situations it's helped my body language and "force", but in a stupid autistic way I stopped being afraid of horror movies cause now I am way overconfident and feel like I could just heel hook that dumb cunt michael myers if he shows up in my house at night

where's your medal?
From ashi garami my brother, he sat for guard and botched it and i got the foot, set up ashi, sat for the footlock.
tournament BJJ starts standing you dumb fuck.

learning BJJ helped a bit, runner up at state titles has changed my life.

So I am looking to get into bjj and there are actually a few in my area. What should I be looking for in a gym? Some of them have gracie in their name, is that good? One thing that I would like is to find a place with a sense of camaraderie.

Is it only no gi tournaments that allows you to start from your ass? Most buttscooters are usually no gi practitioners

no tournament i've ever been in or even heard of lets you start not standing, i dont know where this meme comes from. I compete gi and nogi, it all starts standing.

do you want to compete or just learn self defense? Gracie is normally very self defense orientated unless there's an actual Gracie there, and there usually isn't.
if you want to compete, do a week trial at all the ones in your area. try them all. ask around, see which schools produce champions, go there.
If you want to learn self defense, do a different martial art. that simple. BJJ is a sport, not a martial art. you never ever want to go to the ground in a real fight.

It all starts standing until they pull guard

after white belt no one pulls guard. where are you getting this shit from? there's tons of the basic judo throws, tons of wrestling takedowns, tons of reaping/tripping. Pulling guard is fischer price baby's first takedown.

I am looking for more of a sport, the place is called gracie barra and I know the professor competes, I found this video of him.
youtube.com/watch?v=6CrDXd8qj7A

if they have a black belt, and he competes, then it's a GREAT school, go there. Still do the week trial before comitting in case it's all full of bully boys (like me).

how old, and how athletic are you?

27, very sedentary, lost 45 pounds in the last 3 months but currently weigh 344.

27 isn't too old to be competing. incorporate some cardio into your life and go for gold son. wait, you weigh what? 344lb? still go for it. lose 100lb over the next year, learn your positions, kickstart it after that.

how the fuck do you weigh 344lb?

I was a neet that would lie in bed all day and play video games. At night I would drink beer until I was just about to pass out, then gorge myself on shitty food. I stopped drinking so much and I actually go out during the day now. Also doing intermittent fasting and avoiding junkfood.

well son, all i can say is you've come a long way baby, roll with that motivation and channel it in to something positive. Between you and I, we're pretty similar. When I was a teenager i was morbidly obese, then I started doing meth, fucked up a good decade of my life, sorted my shit out 4-5 years ago, and now i'm a literal champion. I have medals in my drawer to prove it. Anything can be overcome my brother, you just gotta sink in the effort and make sacrifices.

you can do it. go sign up to your gym.

Th-thanks.

Attached: 1523393337392.jpg (254x274, 17K)

How would you phrase a question along the lines of how much instruction, oversight and control is in the school?

I tried a school that got me rolling right away, no beginner class but I went to the general class not the advanced one. I thought that it was great until I realised I could actually control most guys my size (some might not have been trying) just with force until it got to trying a submission. They didn't instruct on this ever and all I knew was what submissions looked like so I had to stop to ask the partner how to do things (lol) or just give up to practice defence and try to learn from what they did. The drills we practiced during class only ever covered moving past guard, keeping guard up, takedowns (which I did well at since they just said to do takedowns; didn't show any techniques).
Then a few weeks into it, some intensely autistic whitebelt who'd already been there a few months did some kind of foot lock that went from 0-100 before I could tap and that fucked my ankle so much I had to take 6 months off almost everything involving it and quit surfing.

So I really don't want that to happen again. Is it weird to ask "do you teach how to do X techniques, and is there some sort of beginner program to cover this" and "do you make sure people roll safely and with control?".

i'm not 100% on the best way to ask that man, i post on a chinese pissing contest forum. Either say to the coach what you just said to me, you've got a valid reason to be asking, or failing that just do a week trial and see what it's like. That sounds fairly cooked.
My gym doesn't have a beginner class, but the vets know to take it easy on beginners. there's a VERY good chance the coloured belts were just playing with you, letting you get a feel for shit without going ham on you.

NEVER EVER roll with white belt no stripes unless YOU'RE good enough to defend against their spazzing. the amount of times i've had a thumb dislocate because some moron was sperging out i've lost track of.
If it's a decent school, you're not gonna have to worry about that sort of shit. Sounds like you picked a bad one friendo. Don't let that shit mcdojo mar your opinion of a great sport.

really a beginner shouldn't be rolling until they get a stripe anyway, just live positional drills.

Yeah I figured as much. Well thanks for the pointers on what to look out for. This happened to be a really big chain in my region, and there's not many schools in my local area but I'll give another a go.

Ha, I had a similar exp with a gook blue belt who lost his shit because his bjj wasn’t as god tier as he envisioned it would be against someone bigger than him. In a scramble I stood up and he crash tackled my right ankle rendering it useless for 6 weeks. I belted an Indian during my time off before resuming training.

if you have to go back to the same school, explain to the coach what happened, and then find someone who's not a piece of shit to roll with and just say "i only want to do drills" until you're confident rolling.
it gives me the shits so bad when cunts roll like it's gold at the world's, when they're just rolling at open mat. You gotta remember for half these weak cunts, this is the closest they're ever gonna get to real combat. Find someone who's actually competed and explain to them, if they're anything like me they'll take you under their wing until you find your feet.

I can't decide between kickboxing or BJJ

For a second I was worried you actually got diarrhea. That is one of my worst fears, just losing control while rolling and spraying all over.

That one school has closed down since anyway haha. But I would try another branch; I'm thinking the instructor was maybe more at fault. Cool guy but a bit too relaxed about some things, and didn't really break things down well or check on people closely during drills or rolling.
Well I did slam this same guy pretty bad just from a gentle trip, don't think he knew how to breakfall and it looked like he was about to pass out... Imagine people getting so mad about pyjama play-fighting.

>kickboxing or BJJ
Do both.

Is rather use my time to become good at one of them rather than alright at both

do BJJ unless you've actually got the killer instinct to be good at striking, otherwise you're just wasting everyones time.

strewth, no duck squirts from me cobber.
the instructor, the students, you, it's all how it factors in together bro. just try a different school.
PS: slamming is for fuckheads. it's banned in comps, and if you do it at sparring at best you're painting a target on your back.

bjj then

What did he mean by this

what part can't you get your head around cobber?

I'm not a 100% on this, but I think many Gracie Barra schools have dumb rules like you have to buy and use their gi, no sparring until 3 months, getting belts based on attendance and not skill, having to call the coach "professor".

Depends on the gym, but if you ask on the bjj reddit you can usually find one or two people who can tell you if the gym/coach is legit, or recommend another gym in the area.

>professor

My current club does this

Thought it was weird af when I changed over to them and saw them bowing and shit

They're with Revolution though

Nah, I think she probably just couldn't keep her emotions anymore, and ran off to be alone with them. Makes sense.

With revolution? What does that mean?

It's good for learning the mechanics, but elbow high is better for competition.

I personally prefer overhook though.

I hope she's ok.

Attached: 1524793836887.gif (450x450, 102K)

I've been at a Gracie Barra (Finland) for roughly a year and there is none of that cult behavior at our gym. Our instructor is a brazilian guy, who competes, and the blue/purple belts also compete with success.
>you have to buy and use their gi
This didn't happen at my gym
>No sparring until 3 months
Everyone spars, every class. Infact sparring is the only thing that's even referred to as "training". Drills are just drills, warmups are just for getting your body ready.
>belts based on attendance
I haven't been in BJJ long enough to see any promotions, so I doubt it. I should have stripes on my white belt by now by sheer attendance.
>having to call the coach "professor"
This didn't happen at my gym. It's very friendly atmosphere. At the beginning do a bow, at the end we shake hands with everyone and take a picture together. It's really the comradely thing I was hoping for.

sounds gay as fuck

White belt is where I typically observed fewer guard pulls as fewer people have enough confidence in their ability to not get passed. Higher belts it's far more clear what game everyone's playing.

that's interesting. it's the reverse here in australia, where are you from friendo?

Which part exactly is gay to you? Making friends with people? Training hard?
Are you one of those guys who took a few classes, got tapped relentlessly and then got back on Jow Forums to exclaim how bad grappling is and boxing is all you need? Sounds like fighting isn't for you.

Well yeah, everything is reverse there.

I hope whatever gym I join is kind of gay, like with friendly butt slaps and a sense of brotherhood.

Western Europe

Did train in Tasmania once while travelling. Was fun.

bump

BJJ Revolution

Some team

I'd do kickboxing over bjj.

>BJJ club in Asia
>one of the few huwhites there, so I can overpower the Chinese guys easily, I'm one of the heaviest there
>change club to a more expat one
>now one of the smallest there

Well shit

who here /gymbully/?

Attached: 1498759828045[1].png (538x480, 170K)

He's got kind of a point, most BJJ gyms have a subcommunity of (for lack of a better term) basedboys who only play slow-paced bottom game and are really proud of the fact that they never spar with any urgency or athleticism. I suspect they were bad at sports as a kid and now fear serious athletic "contests".
Those kinds of people don't really show up in striking gyms at all. They usually leave entirely once they're expected to spar.

Attached: 1510123267814.jpg (1280x832, 1000K)

>bro you use too much strength when you roll
I know what you're talking about, but desu i do think some people are too forceful with bjj
Just flow through the match until you can stick them. Why waste energy on a submission you aren't sunk into already?

bump

What do you mean? Do you bully people? Do you have any stories?

>be me
>new af to boxing
>spar manlet who is also new af to boxing
>extend my arm jon bones jones style and skip-jab his arm every single time he tries to strike

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 156K)

Devilish.

Attached: 1509224721905.gif (500x500, 256K)

>be blue belt
>spar with other qt blue belt girl (~6/10, maybe 7/10)
>establish a tight side control and stall endlessly so that I can hear her breathing with increasing frustration and exhaustion
I haven't had a gf in years

What do they do if someone gets erect at a bjj gym? Will you be told to just walk it off or would you be banned? Asking because I get random no reason boners all the time.

If you get boners grappling you're doing something seriously wrong, so much of your body is in tension at any given time that there's not really enough blood to dedicate to the benor.

Attached: 1525584117521.png (715x1013, 606K)

I get random boners in tense situations, I got one when I was being yelled at by my old boss.

I was thinking of joining a place near me, then saw this review. Thoughts?

Attached: Screenshot_20180509-152324_Maps.jpg (1080x2220, 397K)

Two years old, so things could have changed since then. Coaches could have left, large groups of members might have switched to another gym for reasons. Something more recent would be better. Ask the bjj reddit.

>"they are one of the very few schools that doesn't participate in the sport"
Does this mean no member from the school competes? Because that's a bad thing, having competitors will make everyone at the school better. And if you're serious about self defense, then you owe it to yourself to try competing. It is the closest you will get to a real self defense scenario without actually being in one. Fighting someone you don't know who will try WAY harder than anyone in your gym to beat you, and getting the adrenaline dump that follows doesn't compare to sparring at your gym. Not even a little bit.

Seconding Judofag, but yeah even going though one mid-sized competition will bring you several levels upwards of where you were before, and you want to be with the people who do compete so they can push you a a lot harder than those who don’t compete.

I looked into it and the instructors are still the same. I also read this on the website. I think I'm going to look at a different gym, it seems weird to be promoted to blue belt without having sparred.

Attached: Screenshot_20180509-164040_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 723K)

No, i'm the gold and silver medalist from earlier in the thread. Want me to post a timestamp?

I'm the friendly bully if that makes sense. Roll like a demon on the mat, but then shake their hand and compliment them on something they did good after the roll.
Maybe bully is the wrong word. I'm always in comp prep tho. only 199 days until the next one!

It's really isn't the kind of situation you get hard from, despite how it sounds

Please post timestamp

I would never ever go to a school that doesn't compete. what a joke. that's a mcdojo.