Black pills

>Free will is a lie.
>Human thoughts are automatic, not manual.
>Self-reflection (i.e. "I did X because Y") is nothing more than a guess.
>Evolution and determinism explain human behavior better than culture, society or media do.
>People are products of their genes and their environment.
>Political views are largely formed based on emotion and other quirks of the mind, not necessarily fact or principle.
>When most people talk about having children they'll refer to the benefits to the parents, the children themselves are secondary.

Attached: Black_Mollies_Capsule__90409.1460132680[1].jpg (1024x685, 71K)

Can anyone refute this? I'd like to see someone try

okay now post this on /lit/

>Self-reflection (i.e. "I did X because Y") is nothing more than a guess.

Well, it's not as if you "freely will" to guess that. It's the inference that you're compelled to infer by prior causes.

>Political views are largely formed based on emotion and other quirks of the mind, not necessarily fact or principle.

A lot of the time, yeah. But not always. Also emotions are relevant in a lot of ways relating to facts and principles. Utilitarian philosophy and political ideals that are in some way based on utilitarianism take the importance of peoples' emotions into account. And actually a lot of philosophical perspectives do that, not just utilitarianism.

Yeah, Humans are computers who are programmed by the environment

This means there is basically fate, nothing you do is original.

Computers will be able to predict the future.

Seems pretty comfy red pill
Far from black

I think this thread perhaps should be a philosophy general because otherwise it might not stay alive.

Years ago, free will debate threads would get like 300+ replies, back when Sam Harris was more prominent in the pop philosophy scene .Now you've got Jordan Peterson everywhere and I don't know what his position on free will is or if he's ever even addressed it, but the question doesn't really seem to fit the current zeitgeist that much.

I still think it's an important point because I think free will is not only nonexistent, but it's a destructive idea that causes so many problems. People are so attached to this idea that they will cause all kinds of bullshit for the sake of preserving it. I've seen tons of drug addicts claim that they can get inebriated chronically to the point where they turn psychotic, and then they've with a straight face told me some bullshit like "I have free will, so I am in control of the psychosis".

But maybe this thread could also be about other philosophical topics. It might be good for keeping the discussion lively and not letting it expire too soon. Just a thought.

Attached: 768959.png (320x487, 73K)

>Now you've got Jordan Peterson everywhere and I don't know what his position on free will is or if he's ever even addressed it
He says that "you don't like it when people tell you that you don't have it" and doesn't really go farther than that besides nudging towards free will here and there.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't believe in it but thinks that people like statements that uphold their belief in it.

Physics say shit's random on quantum level, so free will and determinism aren't solved.
Still, with either proven, there is no tangible effect on your life. You still have to live your life like always.

>All human interaction is based on power dynamics and exchange
>Persuasion and charisma are worth more than technical skills
>As marketing is to a product, charisma is to oneself
>Hard work doesn't pay
>Sexual attraction of both genders and likeability can be ignited by well chosen behaviors, love isn't a mysterious higher force

>Physics say shit's random on quantum level, so free will and determinism aren't solved.

Bell's theorem assumes indeterminism to prove indeterminism. It's circular reasoning.

Even IF things at the quantum level are random, that doesn't give you "free will". It would mean whether you did action A or action B would be random. That's not something you can control (if you could control it, it wouldn't be random).

>Still, with either proven, there is no tangible effect on your life. You still have to live your life like always.

Refer back to my drug addict example in If someone really doesn't believe in free will, they know full well there is no such thing as "controlling psychosis with free will". They lose a weight on the side of the scale in favor of continuing to abuse drugs. That's a change. Will it be enough to motivate them to stop? Eh, probably not alone in and of itself, but in combination with other factors it could.

Something similar I've seen is that pretty much every smoker didn't plan on being a "smoker". They wanted to try a few cigarettes, and figured "Ill just use my free will to choose not to smoke regularly". And in a lot of cases, it doesn't work because the nicotine and other drugs in tobacco compel them to keep smoking.

When you realize there's no free will, you're better able to realize the risk of smoking even one cigarette.

>Still, with either proven, there is no tangible effect on your life. You still have to live your life like always.
I dunno, if you decided to stop eating and just die then under free will that would just be your decision, under determinism it would probably mean you have something "wrong" with your mind causing you to make that decision. At the very least, the latter would mean that things led up to that decision and it wasn't just an independent actor's deus ex machina.

What I got from your post is that free will exists but it's restricted by a bunch of shit. I mean, you still get to decide whether to smoke the cig or not.

Free will doesn't make sense as a concept, whether the universe is deterministic or indeterministic. Neither of them gives you free will.

>I mean, you still get to decide whether to smoke the cig or not.

Assuming a fully deterministic universe: whether you smoke the cig or not was already determined before you were even born. Things happen exactly as they must.

Assuming a universe with indeterminism: whether you smoke the cig or not may be indeterministic. That doesn't mean your will determines whether you smoke the cigarette; it would mean that literally nothing would determine that; it would happen randomly or based on probablistic odds. Your will can't DETERMINE the outcome, because if it could, then it wouldn't be IN-deterministic.

In neither case is there free will.

Nah. You're just another unoriginal asshole who thinks they're smarter than everyone else.

omg, bazinga!

go back to m i d d l e s c h o o l with your
>black pill
shit ideas, shit philosophy

most people who commit suicide realize these things beforehand, take that as you will

Do you have any idea how corny that sounds?
How old are you?

i know it sounds stupid and cheesy
im 25 and ive had about enough of this futility

>genetic engineering would solve all our problems but (((ethics))) groups will never let it happen