University orientation

>university orientation
>"okay everyone, say hello to the person on your right and left, then tell them your name, major, and favorite thing"
>everyone already talking fervently to the friends they came to orientation with
>tap the girl on my right's shoulder, she turns around
>"Hi, I'm user! I'm majoring in chemistry. What about you?" and extend hand
>"Yeah... hi." goes back to talking with her friend
>tap the guy on my left's shoulder, he turns around
>"Hi, I'm user! I'll be majoring in chemistry to start out with and I enjoy playing music, what about you?"
>"Okay...?" he turns back around and continues talking
New beginning my ass. I want to fuckin die.

Attached: 6S4mn2Tgh.jpg (408x408, 114K)

> majoring in chemistry
> fails to bond with fellow students

College isn't like what it used to be.

What did it used to be?

My condolences. You'll eventually find a good group of friends as long as you keep trying.

For introverted intellectuals. Now they force normalfaggots to all go get secondary education. I've heard professors are quitting due to having to teach reading English in college settings, literally illiterate people.

It used to be higher learning, now it's college experience.

Attached: 1529161326591.jpg (700x765, 40K)

>majoring in chemistry
Enjoy spending at least 40 hours a week at the university for the next 5 years

I remember in 12 grade all the people who were immature and had a fun time joking around and acting like idiots all of a sudden started pretending like they were le mature adults.
I remember going to college for a bit and talking to people and they would just look right threw me.

What is it with growing up and everyone losing their sense of humor?

>expect to make new friends and contacts while learning a subject you enjoy
>turns out everybody just picked universities their friends were going to so groups already established, expected to just go through hoops to get into debt to get a piece of paper to maybe get a job

At about 18 teens suddenly want to appear how they think adults should behave and become robotic and money obsessed

He's getting his money's worth, even if chemistry is a slowly dying field. Better than just paying for 4 hours a week and doing the rest of the reading yourself as a humanities student.

>look threw someone
It's called being broken, to answer your question. Like a wild beast, younger people are. Not everyone gets broken though. To break one's spirit is to die inside.
See? Literally illiterate.

Yeah, I get the HS 2.0 vibe. Would it have been better in the mid to late 90s, when I was /supposed/ to go?

It was so weird. All the people i knew who were fun to be around turned into these grey caricatures of adulthood and i was the only one who was like "hey guys, sometimes its fun to laugh huh"

It would have been better in the 70s actually. The standard of living has dropped since then, so only actual smart scholar types would have went back then, and it would have led to actual scholar type jobs after graduating.

By the 90s people were already complaining about things being bad out there.

BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

orig

underrated af user

From college onwards friendships become almost entirely status based.

If people think you are low value and have nothing to offer you will get the cold treatment from them. In a way being a loser is a good thing because you get to see people as they genuinely are, they don't bother with the acting around you.

>first day of university
>other students are actually friendly and try to make conversation multiple times
>reply with one word answers and "hmm"
>they stop talking to me and make friends with each other
>within a week I'm back to how I was in high school

I dropped out and now I want to die.

Attached: 1509197507148.gif (500x382, 181K)

So basically what you're telling me is that I need to acquire a gun. Then, on the first day of classes, blow my brains out in front of everybody in the lecture hall so I can live on in their memories as a traumatic experience.
I'm fed up with trying in a world that doesn't want me.

>killing yourself to make a minor difference in the lives of strangers
>actually to their benefit because the guys get to brag about seeing someone kill himself and the girls get pity points
>being THIS MUCH of a cuck

This.
I came from a lower class background and when I went to uni everybody else was middle class and up. It was some serious Twilight Zone shit being excluded from pretty much all social groups. In fact, when I was doing my A levels we were told that high tier unis like Cambridge and Oxford were being heavily criticisized for only having upper class students.

Tl;dr the class system is still very prominent and meaningful in the UK at least

first original post is always best original post

Attached: dog.jpg (520x544, 67K)

>actually doing that "say hello to the person on your right and left" shit.
kek you are the fucking normie user, kys.

I'm from a working class background but I know loads of working class people at uni. I imagine you go to Exeter or Durham where it's full of posh fucks.

Post of the year
It took me 3.5 years of being in uni to just realise this now
If only I could go back
I remember when this really beautiful girl in my communications class on facebook who had been cracking up at my jokes and we had gotten really close told me to add her on fb,the face of disgust as she scrolls through seeing cringe anime/movie posts,empty profile pic,no activities with friends or anything social and barely any likes. She became cold towards me for the rest of the sem

nah, just disregard others and focus on yourself, don't rely on normies for validation because trust me they will always let you down
socio-economic background is part of it but status also includes your race, looks, skills, social media presence etc there are a lot of facets to it

>>university orientation
What the fuck is that shit and why the fuck would you go?

An even to meet people and you'd go to meet people. To stop being an outcast.

>An even to meet people and you'd go to meet people
This is where you fucked up. Were they from STEM too, or was it open to the entire university?

I'm not OP, but mine was just a group of everyone in 1st year for my department in a lecture theatre.
You get told about your degree structure and other basic stuff then get a while to talk to others

Orientation is really fuckin dumb user, don't let that discourage you. Honestly, my life has definitely improved since starting college. I have a great group of friends, I don't want to die, and I'm starting to realize my potential. Higher education really is a shitshow since it's been commodified, but I've even had some decent classes so far too.

Oh yeah, I remember why I keep coming back here LOL

You don't have this problem in CS. The nerds will be happy to form a friendship with you as long as you are intelligent enough in their eyes.

I went to college for six years and didn't make a single lasting friend. It fucking sucked.

>6 years
Did you do a bachelors and masters or just a bachelors that took you 6 years?

>another school shooting
FOR FUCK'S SAKE user STOP BEING RETARDED

Listen, it's a bunch of 18 year olds who think they're the hottest fucking shit who don't have to do student orientation stuff. Just forget about it and try to make friends with the people in your chem classes.

Not him but depending on the country your major can last more. Mine is 6 years long if you pass every course.

You still have time to go back. I'm starting my first year in two-ish months and--okay sorry I just had the horrifying realization I'm starting fucking COLLEGE in two months--I dropped out of high school in my freshman year. I tried going to college in 2015 but didn't make it to the first day.

Actually it's a school suicide.
Did you not read his post?

>you have time to go back
I wish user. I'm 21 now and have been told that I'd need to do an introductory course if I want to try get a degree again. (they don't want to waste any more time on me).

I'd be nearly 23 by the time I start studying again and I have other responsibilities that are only going to get bigger as time goes on.

>I tried going to college in 2015 but didn't make it to the first day.
Make sure that doesn't happen twice and prepare yourself. Good luck user, you're braver than me.

Attached: 1527872896742.jpg (540x438, 38K)

That sounds awful. In England a bachelors is 3 years. How do you drag out a degree for 6 years? You must be learning at a snail's pace.

First two years are introductory courses (from basic to vector calculus, physics and shit) and you start your actual career later that lasts for 4 years. The problem is that there are introductory courses that you still have to complete even if they have nothing to do with your major, for example I'm studying "applied maths" (not exactly that but it's similar) and I had to do a basic chemistry course.

It sounds shitty, but to be fair if they got rid of the first 2 years I think my head would have exploded in my Topology course.

Well in the UK you don't do anything unrelated to your degree, so that's one reason why it doesn't take as long. I do chemistry like and my first year modules were
>Organic chem 1
>Inorganic chem 1
>Physical chem 1
>Chemistry labs and tutorials
>Maths and physics for chemists
>IT skills for chemists
And nothing else

I don't really mind the length, but I think you could shave off some of the extra shit and make it 5 years. Do you have to do sports and humanities courses too?

WHY THE FUCK AM I EVEN AT COLLEGE ANYWAY ?

that kid should have totally tapped that squirrel ass.