/fast/ #205 - Jormungandr Edition

FAQ
>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

>Why should I fast?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/studies
idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
Read all of these, they might answer some other questions you may want to ask.

>Can I fast if I have ___?
See your doctor before fasting if you:
>Have any sort of chronic illness
>Have gout
Don’t fast if you:
>Have type 1 diabetes
>Are malnourished/severely underweight
>Are pregnant
>Are breastfeeding

Attached: jo.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2vz_U8kxDlg)
youtu.be/1onQ0nxgWFM),
leangains.com/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part-one/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3106181
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>How do I safely do an extended fast (approx. 4-5+ days)
Take snake juice. (youtu.be/2vz_U8kxDlg)
>2000mg of sodium (preferably Himalayan Pink Salt) max
>4700mg of saltless potassium max
>Mix these in a liter of water and sip it throughout the day.
The apple cider vinegar and lemon are optional.
You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent fasting.
There’s a new snake juice recipe here (youtu.be/1onQ0nxgWFM), but either one is fine.

>Won’t I go into starvation mode?
No. It only occurs at extremely low body fat (8-10%).

>Will (something with calories) break my fast?
Yes, headass.

>Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
Artificial sweeteners and diet soda are bad for you and may fuck up your fast. Zero calorie black coffee and tea ware generally considered to be fine.

>Do I need a multivitamin?
Not unless you’re fasting for a month or longer.

Fasting is a good way to develop an eating disorder.

as if obesity isn't already an eating disorder

Can i fast if im under a medical therapy of xan and other antidepressants? Will they alter my keto?

Ketosis, not the meme keto meme diet ofc

So you're going to swap one eating disorder for another.

If i eat like i want to bulk on OMAD so that means like 3kcal calories in an hour or two and fasting rest of the day, what will happen to me? There seems that most people fasting want to lose weight but what will happen if i want to bulk while fasting. Will i gain less fat or something?

Attached: 2142412412.jpg (960x640, 25K)

Strongly discouraged to take any form of medication while fasting.

I CAN'T
FUCKING SLEEEEP

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1348730954913.png (297x331, 218K)

Why?

Just broke my first 72 hour fast with pic related. Felt like absolute garbage. It's ok though, because I'm back on the fast train. I've learned a valuable lesson about eating like shit.
It's ok that I fucked up, I'm still gonna make it. We're all gonna make it.

Attached: pizza-huts-ultimate-cheesy-crust-pizza-has-arrived.jpg (765x627, 422K)

I slept so extremely well last night. Woke up at 6 completely refreshed. It's only day 2 though

Please its very important and i cant break the therapy, why cant i take meds while fasting?

Wait you too? It's 3am now and I still cannot sleep. I am onto day 6 though which means I only have two more to go.

its a good way to cure your eating disorder.

After I went few weeks EOD and then prolonged fasts, fast food started to taste like shit. Just felt let down eating kebab and I just wished I would've made some spaghetti with meatballs.

Day 3 water fast
Was 86.7tuesday morning
85kg this morning

Aiming for 80kg / visible sixpack

>85kg this morning
>Aiming for 80kg / visible sixpack

Jesus, I'm less than that and still flabby.

Are you like 8 foot tall or something?

Can your metabolism slow down ? I've been stuck in the same 1kg range for 2 weeks. I fast 7 days a week. Send help.

Attached: 480755e2992b11522797310bf57b7e3c--sexy-girls-the-world.jpg (736x1104, 79K)

You might maintain or lose weight even at what you would normally consider a surplus because fasting increases metabolism

Is there an online calculator that I can use to predict how much weight I'll lose if I fast for the next days ?

Got a question for all you /fast/bros.

I work in a factory and we build a sunroof at about a minute per part. I used to drink a lot of energy drinks to stay moving fast but have since kicked that habit and have been drinking these 10 calorie energy mixes in a 35 oz bottle of water from Walmart.

Question is: Will having one 10 cal drink mix during my fasting period kick me out of ketosis?

Attached: walmart-energy-drink-mix.jpg (200x256, 14K)

If you are fasting 7 days a week then all that is happening is water retention. Try limiting the amount of water you drink to no more than 1.5 litres a day.

As your body burns fat, it fills the fat cells with water to maintain their structural integrity. Your body thinks this is a good idea (although I bet you aren't too impressed with it).

leangains.com/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part-one/

I suffer badly from exactly the same problem, which is why I've had to resort to limiting my water intake and doing a "carb flush" after 7 to 10 days of fasting (i.e. when I notice my weight loss plateauing).

For a carb flush I eat about 1,500 - 2,000 calories of complex carbs, usually in the form of a big plate of pasta as a single meal. I actually struggle to eat this much nowadays, but I've found it is the only way to trigger the "Whoosh effect".

Your mileage may vary.

OP of this comment, forgot to add I'm currently doing 16/8 every day and usually have a 400 cal sandwich for lunch at 9pm, my first meal of the day, then 600-1000cal meal after work before 5am. Regularly its steamed vegetables and rice with an added protein.

Said drink mix would be consumed around 5pm when I start work, and usually a second at 9pm lunch.

Skipping breakfast isn't fasting.

fasting is NEVER DONE WITHOUT CONSUMING ELECTROLYTES.

you should be consuming BROTH or etc every day, or consuming a low cal or calorie free electrolyte drink

the fact that people will argue with me to death about this here is why i don't come to this board generally: people with actual educations aren't wanted so idiots can push idiocy that they have no clue about

you don't EVER fast without consuming electrolytes, and its sure as fuck not going to knock you out of anything to consume like

That is probably not enough to kick you out of fast, not to mention ketosis. remember that some people can keep up the ketosis even though they still take in 40-80g of carbs per day from vegetables.

You know very well that counts as fasting. Whetrher you don
t eat for 16 hours or 16 days the time bewteen your last meal and the next is fasting. Don't be discouraging u faggot. Makes you come out as some insecure high school beta.

Yeah... it's called intermittent fasting bud. I'm down 100 lbs in 2 year and last time I stuck with intermittent fasting I dropped 40lbs in 3 months. I might not be long term fasting like you choose to do but it's worked for me in the past and I'll continue to do it as long as I see results. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for answering my question, have a good one bro

Yes, less fat due to better insulin sensitivity
Altough its still recommended to do 48s on offdays or weekends for dat dere health benefits

Ive been doing omad for some short yime and i maintained weight while getting stronger easily.

Downing 3k kcal in one sitting is easily doable just stop eating chicken breast and opt for fatty meats, i was loading bacon and eggs like every day and adding raw whole milk on top.

Holy fuck im so looking forward to next meal

6'2

Attached: 20180528_205743.jpg (1372x1639, 1.06M)

ty, gonna drink some broth now.

>you should be consuming BROTH or etc every day, or consuming a low cal or calorie free electrolyte drink
It's clear you don't know shit about fasting

What about autophagy, its still a thing with snake juice fast right

I have some sorta mild eczema on hand and i think it got better within 3 days but not gone yet
I think need much more time
I also have plenty of acne pimples on chest and back, altough not terrible so im looking forward to getting rid of all that shit.

Other thing, gyno
Thats me

17th day water fasting today.
Planning to go at least 22 days.
I'm gonna make it.
The hardest thing right now is just the boredom. I find myself planning all the stuff I want to cook and eat once I finish the fast. Luckily most of it is healthy. I'm planning to break my fast on red grapes with some cheese and crackers, with some kimchi on the side.

Attached: happy-wojak.png (178x178, 9K)

It is, it's increased by 300% after 24h of fasting. It's way more aggressive with dry fasting though.

Good for you. I'm afraid my abs aren't as close as I thought they were. I lost most of the face and thigh fat as well as what little moobs I had, but the fucking love handles won't go away, My top 2 abs are nice and defined and then right below there's a big-ish fucking gut. I hope it goes away quickly, exams coming up and I may need to eat once a day for brain clarity.

I'm in the same position. My plan was to fast until I get abs, but I thought I would have them by now. Thigh fat is gone for me too, I now fit in size 32 skinny jeans and I normally wear 34 regular. I'm surprised how deluded I was about my composition before.

*slim jeans not skinny

Has anyone tried doing a /fast/-cut? Meaning something along the lines of:
>bulk normally, eating at a surplus and lifting heavy until decent gainz achieved
>fast for a week or two
>go back to bulking for even more epic gainz or stay at maintenance if goals reached

Could this work effectively?

Should work. It's basically like doing a mini-cut except more extreme

>I'm planning to break my fast on red grapes with some cheese and crackers, with some kimchi on the side.
This is completely wrong and retarded.
>17th day water fasting today.
Impressive

i haven't fasted in like one month, last one was a water fat of 40 hours.

Should my next fast be as long as the last one?
I was thinking in doing a 20 hours one.

>go to sleep
>have dream that I ate food
>wake up
>don't know if I ate any food in real life for a minute
Pretty fucking annoying to be honest

Attached: full.png (406x438, 26K)

20 hrs is hardly a fast and doing a one time 20hr fast is most likely not going to do much of anything. If you want to fast for 20hrs do intermittent fasting and keep at it

I'm currently on OMAD and I lost 19 pounds, but I flatlined then gained 4 pounds, so I'm going to /fast/ on the weekends (Fri, Sat, and Sun) and see what happens after a month more or less.

t. from 304.7 to 385 now to 389.

Attached: 1523671656223.gif (607x585, 301K)

Shit I meant 285 and 289.

>i fast on wekends
you are a fool

Thanks, but why carbs ? Don't they cause you to retain more water ?

The simple fact that you still crave your sugary processed crap should be proof enough that you're not fasting but you retards have no idea what you're talking about because you haven't read up on anything. You just surmised that you're big boys for eating your 6 meals a day in the biggest window you possibly can.

Attached: flplMiD.jpg (480x800, 34K)

It would be more effective to just bulk on omad and 48 hrs

Fuck off to /fat/

Read the link in my comment which includes the details of the Milwaukee study from WWII which discovered this.

It's a recurring nightmare for me.

Ive been overweight for a while now. I do lift, my lifts are good (1.5/3/3/4), but I weight 220lbs(100kgs) and my BF is around 23%.

I worry about fasting because I worry bout losing my gains. How do I go about maximizing fat loss without losing my muscle and strength? And if I am to lose muscle and strength, should I expect to get it back more quickly? I aware of the multinucleation of myocytes and how it assists in rebuilding.

What kind of fat loss should I expect in this process and how much should I fast before I go back to eating my 200g protein per day and lifting hard?

Thanks for all the help guys I really need it

I glossed over it but it's not exactly a big bowl of whole grain pasta, not that i'm opposed to the idea. I love italian cuisine and luckily after resetting my preferences with fasting i still like it.

How do I go full Green Bull mode?

Attached: Greenpill.png (867x417, 64K)

Recommendation of what to eat to end my 5 day fast? Want to keep it Keto but I'm sick of bacon/chicken + eggs + vegetables which is what I usually eat.

Eat more animal fat and organs for taste and health.

1. You lose minimal muscle fasting if you lift. HGH gets cranked the fuck up so some of us fast not to lose weight but to get stronger.
2. You don't need 200g of protein unless you eat high carb. Then again you lift more than me but I don't really lift, I do boxing and MMA.
3. You can lift hard for up to 48h fasted, after that you lose strength. You could however fast for a week and eat/lift heavy for a week, and lose a fuckton (fasting for a week at your weight, if you lift for 2 days and walk around or do cardio for the rest, would probably burn more than 3kg of pure fat.

Even if you do lose a bit of muscle, you'll gain it back instantly when you start eating and lifting again - after refeeding you get a crazy test boost too.

Fasting cranks up your hgh

Almost all of this is bro science of fasting.

All of this is my experience + experiences of people online except for the HGH thing which is established science. The testosterone rise is also science, but experience too.

Your test doesnt go up at all it plummits and thats well established. And the hgh increase is real but it degrades almost instantly and deals with muscle preservation not building. Trust me youre in over your head.

It doesn't plummet, it lowers a bit when fasting and then rises the fuck up (significantly higher than before fasting) after refeeding. Read what I wrote and read the studies again, look at the graphs.
HGH might degrade, as I said this is something I can't really feel so I can't experience it. I've gotten stronger since starting fasting and I was fairly strong before.

>It doesn't plummet, it lowers a bit when fasting and then rises the fuck up (significantly higher than before fasting) after refeeding.
wrong, both are completely wrong. Post your source.
>I've gotten stronger since starting fasting and I was fairly strong before.
Ok that could be for lots of reasons that dont deal with hgh. And quantify strong. What are your maxes and dont lie.

I think I'm gonna take the plunge and try the fasting life when I get back home from vacation. Been reading these threads for the past few days and it's been really interesting. I even bought Fung's guide to fasting book and have been reading through it at night in my tent before I sleep. Got 100 pounds to lose to get to where I think I look my best. Thanks for the inspiration, /fast/.

And yet muscles recover much faster, as if roiding.

Greek Yogurt with olives?

No they dont. Youre making up memes dude. Theres a reason oly athletes eat 6000 cals a day. You need it. Fasting if good for weightloss not for strength or recovery.

Fuck dude I don't remember where I saw it. Why would I save that? Look it up yourself if you want to.

As I said I don't really lift, I do boxing and MMA. When I did lift for 3 months I only got to 115kg DL, 60?kg bench. The only thing I can tell you is that at 3kg less bodyweight I can do 10 chinups instead of 2, in the span of 2 weeks.

try sleep techniques. Like controlled breathing (3 sec inn, 3 sec hold, 3 sec out, 3 sec hold repeat) and not moving at all (ignore the itch, it's just your body checking if your awake or not)

Because they need lots of cholesterol to heal, not to mention they take ice baths for recovery which burns thousands of calories.

>Why would I save that?
I have loads of fasting articles svaed cause i argue with morons so much.
>Look it up yourself if you want to.
Theres nothing to look up i know that im right.
>When I did lift for 3 months I only got to 115kg DL, 60?kg bench.
Jesus fucking christ
>not to mention they take ice baths for recovery which burns thousands of calories.
This is 100% not true at all not even close.

Does anyone on this fucking sub actually lift anymore?

Attached: 1489001787495.jpg (640x514, 35K)

I know, these lifts were on CICO 5 meals a day cutting @ 750kcal deficit, eating low fat. I obviously didn't progress that much. That was 2 years ago, I said it 2 times, I don't lift, I do combat sports.

Anyway, I've seen the science and I feel the difference. You haven't provided any sources for the bullshit you're spewing. Fuck off to somewhere else.

My vision is a bit fucked this morning. Fasting from Tuesday night to tonight, so something like 46 hours. Woke up with dry eyes and a bit of a visual cloud. Put some eye drops in and drinking water has helped, but it's not completely back to normal yet.

Is this a normal side effect or just coincidental?

>sub
oh my, user. careful with your powerlevel

Calculate your TDEE, multiply it by the amount of days you're fasting, divide that by 3600 and that is a good approximation of how much weight you'll lose in pounds.

>I know, these lifts were on CICO 5 meals a day cutting @ 750kcal deficit, eating low fat
So now youer quantifing and coping on why your lifts were so shit
>That was 2 years ago, I said it 2 times, I don't lift, I do combat sports.
Right faggot and you also said
>I've gotten stronger since starting fasting and I was fairly strong before.
So to make such a statement i expected far more.
Why is what im saying bullshit and what youre saying isnt you fucking idiot?
Also eat shit
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3106181
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
>Testosterone and insulin-like growth factor 1 decreased significantly in TRF
>However, it also reduced anabolic hormones such testosterone and IGF-1.
Eat shit you fucking moron.
haha ya wasnt what i meant

Attached: 1489819069602.png (500x750, 692K)

1 week on OMAD and I can sleep better that ever

Dumb reddit poster

>im a fucking retard who just got blown out in public
>muh reddit boogeyman

Attached: 1485624918811.jpg (500x750, 558K)

"but after the 56-hour fast GnRH raised serum T by 55 +/- 14% (p less than 0.02). Moreover, fasting augmented the GnRH-induced LH response by 64 +/- 15% (p less than 0.02."

Second one doesn't talk about after refeeding.

Far more than what? I didn't say I was lifting heavy, I said I'm strong. Boxing and MMA require explosive strength, which uses fast-twitch muscle fibers. In 3 months lifting 115kg from nothing when I was a couch potato smoking weed all day is not crazy but it's not that gay, I'm 5'10".

Don't fucking tell him, now he's gonna keep shitting up the threads.

>now he's gonna keep shitting up the threads.
Shitting? im posting facts you faggot. Im one of the few people on this board who actually lifts and has actualyl read the literature on fasting.
>I said I'm strong
You arent, thats garbage.
Cant you fucking read you idiot?
>9 small doses of glucose were given orally at regular intervals during a 56-hour fast
That fast wasnt even a fast. Seriously go grow a brain before you reply to me.

Attached: 1506851963875.jpg (349x325, 30K)

You're right. It just makes me kind of worried how people with literally no experience whatsoever talk shit about things because they read the top half of a study at some point.

Anyway, yeah, gonna stop replying to trolls and just keep on getting leaner, stronger, healthier and with way more endurance.

>trolls
You cant fucking read, no ones trolling im right and youre weak.

tl;dr lmao
>>>/reddit/

I dont understand what this means. Because youre a moron who cant read that makes me reddit?

*weekends

My family members won't do or say anything then. Also I don't have time during the weekday due to college. I can pass the time by finishing my homework.

You don't have time for what? For me, one of the benefits of ADF is that I have more time for studying after work.

How do you bulk while fasting? I was just thinking of doing 16/8 daily while I’m bulking and then cutting by eating every other day.

>was going to fast
>been a few months and time to get back on snake train
>ate to the point of feeling sick

What the FUCK I used to be able to eat somewhat normally but now when I eat, I binge. It's just this time it happened to be on something very rich.

Did that on my first long-ish fast as well. It will pass probably. You're more hungry mentally than you are physically, we crave what we can't have.

Allright im thinking about trying 48h dry fast , im about 15%bf 190cm /86kg . mainly doing this to give my body a break and for those autophagy gains.
Only thing im concerned about is my muscles /strength. Can i lift when im dry fasting to prevent muscle loss? Took me 3 years to escape auswitch mode so i dont want to lose any hard earned gains.

Do water fasting, you can lift easily on the first 48h.

Naah I've been fasting since November. Three months of back-to-back 72s and 100s, then stopped. Ten pounds and two months later, I am arguably a binge eater. No normal eating at all. Fuck me. Maybe a good fast will reset me again. I hope.

I have time to fast, just not time to deal with my grandmother or mother. I'm in college (19 yrsold) and still live with them, so OF COURSE they are going to kick up a stick when they find out that I'm fasting.

Attached: 1490055884697.png (635x541, 202K)