> "Get out & make a lets play channel"
> do just that
> super passionate about new page in life
> Today
> Been doing this for a year
> Can't stop or I fail
> Think everything I make is shit
> Let's plays / YouTube are dead
> Can't make top 10 videos or cause of how much time I'm stuck editing the let's plays
> Editing a video right now

Ever get stuck?

Attached: ^Shopping Cart (2).jpg (1200x1687, 141K)

Same fucking here
I hate my life it's so boring

The worst part is that feeling of knowing that it's just mediocre.

Not startving
Not being tortured
Not dying

just 'meh'. Other people have it worse. so I why do I feel so shitty

Would you mind posting some pictures of your game collection?
I love that stuff.

ya sure dude

Attached: 000002 copy.jpg (983x1920, 619K)

here's gameboy

Attached: gb.jpg (1080x873, 187K)

PSone

sorry for the garbage edits, it's all I have.

Attached: 03.jpg (1080x810, 152K)

Tg16 / PCengine

Attached: 05.jpg (1080x810, 149K)

Sega shelf. bad angle

Attached: 30603107_185422232088760_7958803643367424000_n.jpg (1080x1080, 271K)

Thanks! Ten years old me is completely going nuts at the idea of having all those games readily available.

That's how I felt while acquiring it all.
Still do when I go on big expensive binges.

Then the high wears off & I just kind of turn away from it. Just dealing with knowing that my efforts in trying to make entertaining videos are in vain, & I should just get a job

Yeah, I guess it would be the same for me. Being more interested in having it than actually using it.
I have considered starting a collection but discarded the idea because of that. I still appreciate others' collections.

Why are your videos not working out though?

>tfw spend the past decade buying retro games
>now just selling them off because they do nothing for me now

What's the point of having a video game collection if there's nobody in your life to play them besides you ;_;

>considered starting a collection but discarded

As someone out a ton of money I'd say don't. Be smart. If you wanted a real NES then fine, but just get a Rom cart that can fit everything on it. I thought that by having the actual items that It would make me appreciate it more but it's the same 'big steam library' conundrum as having just a rom cart with everything on it, just WAY more expensive.

>Why are your videos not...

As soon as I got out of service I got a bud of mine who I have good back & forth with to start the dinky little let's play channel. He had no interest in let's plays at the time but is now neck deep in the idea that he can play videogames for money & doesn't want to stop trying. He doesn't do anything but play the games tho.

I watch every video like minimum 3 times before it gets released so I think everything is not funny by the end. I hear it's ok but they get no publicity because we are overshadowed by people who made their killing.

the biggest issue is that let's plays only got popular because of old youtube algorithm and now it has changed. People that started when they did like game grumps, Markiplier and so on were afforded an opportunity where they would be promoted by the platform. They made good enough stuff, but it was the platform suggesting that content that made them what they are.

and there is just no way that a single person can do that level of marketing by themselves, on no budget, while still actually making videos

I'm thinking of doing the same, making some of my money back before it crashes.

I have spent the last few weeks playing dark souls 2 on steam, and not even touching my retro stuff.

I'm actually going to move soon so I have to lug all this shit around.

I've been selling them on ebay but it's slow and ebay rapes you with fees.
I wish I could just sell a bunch of them at once, there's a retro game shop in town but I know I'd be getting a fraction of what I could get for them if I take them there.
I could use the fucking money way more than the games right now.

Try Nintendoage. Even fore non Nintendo stuff. you can use your eBay ratings to prove you are a good seller. You get boned with paypal instead of ebay AND paypal. plus the people there are more willing to pay pricecharting dot com prices

Are you active in the retro community? With retro gaming you will never have a really large audience but if your content is good the right people will appreciate it.
You are probably registered to vogons? Use platforms like that to talk about the games you play and get some feedback on what's relevant to the community. This will give you some views and probably a little popularity boost.
A great deal of building a channel is getting to know your audience and building relations.

would subscribe to chubby depressed guys channel

I'll have to look into it. Will they trust a brand new user? I actually just hit blue star on my ebay account and even got a top seller ribbon just today. I just list em in a post and have people private message me?

check us out. File name is channel name.

watch a best of. tell me if we are major autismo and I should stop trying or if we are halfway decent.

recently rebranded so all the amatuer intros and shit are replaced.

Attached: rose tint gaming.png (800x800, 197K)

not active. didn't even know vogons exsisted.

but after a year of doing this routine of editing and marketing I hardly have time for myself. started streaming on twtich from multiple reccomendations and to try to abandon the sinking youtube ship and had a good amount of growth there, but it's a slow burn always

It's message board so you can toss urls into your signature. some people would be flakey at a brand new user. but you would just go into the FOR SALE portion of the forums, explain your situation with links to evidence of your seller status (make a sob story about being in hard financial times) and list everything you have for sale and the price.

undercut the price on pricecharting by a little (after shipping) and provide pictures of boards when asked for authenticity and youll be very popular

>going for 10 months
>average 30 something views per video

Jesus dude how are you still going at it. Have you considered twitch streaming instead?

Thanks for the info, I actually am in hard financial times honestly. I need money to fix muh car so I can get a job and move the fuck out of my brother's house by September. Also to pay bills, ebay is barely covering my car payments and insurance (on my fucked up car I haven't even driven for months REEEE)

>Jesus dude how are you still going at it

When I started and was figuring out marketing I talked to a guy who was at 2 years averaging 0 or 1 view per vid.

It was way less edited / HQ than what I do but the meme is 'you never fail until you stop'. So i guess I have hope that if I keep posting eventually I'll get my chance to make people laugh.

>Have you considered twitch streaming instead

I do both. just started with twitch. 6 followers away from affiliate. peopel said growth is better on twitch and I'm hoping I can bring people in somewhere.

>Thanks for the info

np my dude. I used to buy off of nintendo age all the time. it's where I got my really rare shit. I opposed ebay cause I thought it meant something. Like because I had to find it at retro stores or buy it from chance message boards it meant something more

Always try using existing structures. When you are starting off.
Of course don't just go there and tell them to check out your channels. That form of advertisement is frowned upon. You can put your channels into your signature though. Show off a bit of your collection and discuss a couple of games. Make yourself interesting. You can refer to your videos at that point or ask if anyone is interested in a couple of videos on a particular game.
Also upload your twitch videos to youtube. Advertise your yt on twitch and vice versa.
Youtube is also great for showcasing/discussing games or giving an introduction into some games to raise interest and advertise your game play footage.

Another pro tip is making one or two little mistakes in your videos, nothing major but prominent enough so people will be compelled to comment. Thank them and discuss the matter a bit in the comments.
Provoking comments helps to trick the algorithm into believing your videos are more relevant.

Thanks for the advice, and it's all stuff I have been told before except for the mistakes thing. I screencapped just incase.

but it all goes back to time and being unable to stop making the let's plays.

the content that works right now on youtube is top 10 lists and scripted videos for sure. but I dont have time to write, record, capture footage of, and spend 20 hours editing a single video, AND become a contributing member of a community, AND edit the let's plays.

I could forgo all the little pictures and shit of refrences we make (game grumps style) but I was trying to make my shit different to everyone else. bringing something new to the table.

I could stop editing the let's plays entirely, but I risk losing the very small support I already have.

it's wierd but it all stems from this all or nothing idea I have, that if I let up at all at the project I'm already doing then that is the reason I fail.

I know I wont be big, like at all no matter what I do. so I guess I came here hoping to get mocked so it is easier to let go.

I really dont know

Addendum: Probably cut back on the autism a bit when doing retro videos because loud screaming is more compelling to a younger audience but the retro stuff is mostly relevant to a more mature audience.
Just a thought, might be wrong too.

you make a very fair point. one of the things someone pointed out to me (a guy I got to watch one vid and give feedback on) is that the younger audience has moved on from the SNES and NES eras of 'retro gaming' because it has been covered to death by channels older / bigger than ours.

his advice was to do the autismo on like Gamecube / ps2 era shit to pull in the kiddos

if you don''t mind me asking what vid did you watch that was autismo?

I watched a bit of the first Hyperstone Heist vid and the pictures really did seem overdone. Zoom ins on notable things happening in-game are fine, but honestly the pictures are kind of annoying. Tone it down a bit. Just my first impressions.

Well I'm watching the best of April video and I think it's pretty funny so gj

Attached: 33778979_2062467087327111_7275170185579855872_n.png.jpg (879x788, 39K)

seems funny to me but Im retarded so.

Thanks for being honest. I think while editing I worry we arn't funny or entertaining, so I throw the flair in.

Thanks mate, those do pretty ok because it is literally the funny moments from all 30 of the month's videos.

So am I, so

Some best of.
An example of a very attractive recent channel is RetroManCave. He effectively started building his channel about a year ago and is already at 40k subs and getting 10-20k views on his videos regularly. He is focused on the hardware instead of the games but has a very clean and informative style that was greatly appreciated right from the start.
Don't compete in the saturated markets. Do quality content and build/wirk with your community.

Not everyone is going to make it but that's the best shot you got with your stuff right now I'll assume.

It's probably because you have to listen to your own jokes so much that they start to become unfunny. You guys are funny enough, the pics just are a distraction and don't really seem to add much to the humor. At this point you're just giving yourself way more work than what's needed for the final product.

Took a look at retro man cave and it fits the motif of today's youtube. meaning scripted. not giving him shit for it, it's just different than what we make and I understand that is why he is succeeding.

>that's the best shot you got

You are prolly right. I caught a glimpse of dead meat on youtube, where he basically just tallys the kills of horror movies, but its the kind of content youtube loves right now. was thinking about switching to something like that.

checked, and yea your right. I gotto chill. I'll try with this octodad episode I'm editing right now.

I gotta go man. Thanks for the pictures again and I'll keep my fingers crossed for your channel.
I'll check it out again in a bit as well.
Cheers!

cheers mate, have a good one

I'll be watching my dude, I subscribeded.

hot shit thanks guys. hadn't had a sub in like 2 weeks. if you hate it let me know what or why and I'll do better.

I subbed
your vids are bretty funny

Will do, I'll raise hell in the comment section kek

which did you watch? i think most suck, with the ocassinal really good one. i remember laughing my ass off at octodad 1 + 2 but since it has been real meh.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

I watched the first part of that ninja turtles game and I thought it was pretty funny. Maybe you just need to shill your channel more or something

been watching octodad: deadliest catch

It's hard. Tried reddit cause that's what I heard works but every relevant subreddit (for example r/sonic) doesn't allow self promotion OR completely disallows you from posting until you have enough karma in comments on their subreddit.

that site fucking sucks.

Dank. I remember giggling while making them for 1 and 2 and then back to self conscious for the rest

>get 2-3 friends
>as much miller as you can purchase
>set up Mario cart on the N64

Every person cracks a beer at the start of a race
Rule 1: Everyone must finish their beer by end of race
Rule 2: No drinking and driving

Races usually start with a chug too, this probably won't unstuck you but its fun.

Checked

We usually drink when recording but you are damn right. need to get a 3rd in on this. could be any driving game really

I saw yall played the original doom. thinking about playing any of the other doom games? or other old shooter games like shadow warrior, duke nukem, Wolfenstein, or hell even turok.

I love doom and doom 2, but my cohost doesn't think they are all that. I did a doom 2 stream on twitch solo a while back with brutal doom mod. I will have to have him play brutal doom soon.

Attached: Dew9YomUEAAQ3I3.jpg (1920x1080, 418K)

Try playing more popular games. That'll probably get more people watching

this
popular games bring in lots of viewers

Time to start playing Fortnite OP ahahaha

I've found the opposite.

For example, take fortnite. Every person who wants to get rich quick is playing fortnite right now. if that is all they do it might work, so it dont work for our 'video every day' format unless that is all we play.

I tried that with Pubg, didn't bring in new subs because we played for 2 hours and could only make 1 10 minute video that was boring AF.

maybe streaming popular games, but then I feel like we'd get lost in the ocean of people. worth a shot tho

Well it doesn't have to be so extreme. You could play games that people recognize rather than the most oversaturated games

we did a pokemon run that took forever haha, then did things like yoshi's island and even mroe recently octodad. we figured like oh it was popular a while ago and now mostly everyone has forgotten about it

yeah this is what was meant

I just autistically play the same old video games I grew up with over and over and over again.

Try doing a Pokemon Nuzlocke run, those get views

I guess we try. like the mario party games, pokemon, octodad and yoshi's story of recent, but also try to play new shit that hasn't been covered to death by everyone. like the boom blox

same dude, same.

we can try with pokemon silver once my cohost is ready to try another pokemon game. he doesn't like it that much.

His suffering will bring entertainment value, tell him to really ham it up and shit all over Pokemon

Checked, and sounds like a plan.

It's kind of funny we had a recording session earlier tonight where we played a Simpsons wii game that sucked major ass and a super famicom platformer that was really ok.

but nothing major known

are there any multiplayer rage games? if so...your pain and anger would bring joy to the masses.

This, some of the best Let's Plays I've watched were when at least one of the hosts has been consumed by pure rage

rage games? mario party 1 is god awful with it's unbeatable AI

I'll search the bottom of the barrel for some shit tier scum.

The problem tho is that OP has no audience.

"If the pope shits in the woods and no one is around to see it, did it happen" affair. So what if some sperg kid loses his shit on the internet. There's a thousand sperg kids on the internet.

yea he could shitpost links everywhere like "zomfg look at this spazzy kid" but people are gonna see right through that shit as soon as they see the sub count low as theirs. people need to reccomend it to other people they know and spread it that way, and sorry op but your shit don't stand out from the crowd as is.

Try Spirtual Warfare on NES, its absolutely ridiculous and one of my all time favorite shitty games.

I've got it, next time we record I'll pop it in as the starter warmup game.

it was a total shock to us when Bible buffet was actually REALLY good, and the episodes give a bit of rage at the end when shit gets competitive

ever played any indie games?

This. All these kids itt recommending you to keep doing what you as well as everyone and their dog have been doing for years now aren't going to help you.
I can watch literally thousands of spergs on yt. Why would I subscribe to you if you do just the same as someone bigger but with less quality?

If Thy dungeonman 3 (homestar runner) counts, yes. If not no.

Thats the thing I think I'm discovering. up until this point I've been talking to other 'small youtubers' who are trying to make it but they all quit when they dont blow up in a month, or their content has so much wrong with it out the door that its not even funny.

I had a guy show me his first lets play so we could trade feedback and his shit was recorded on a fucking camcorder and was unedited, unmixed, and just shit. he REALLY believed that he could make it with that quality.

I know i'm not competing with that level of content, but the big leauges cause we actually have an idea with what the fuck we are doing, so we have to bring something new to the table. finding that thing is what is hard.

I streamed PUBG as a top 25 ranked player in NA Solo, no one ever even saw the stream. Some games are just far too over saturated, its a lottery.

When doing this method you have to remember how shallow kids are.

Those that give a shit about Fortnite watch ninja because it is part of their shitty underdeveloped personalities. same reason why liking Markiplier or whoever. Not saying they make bad shit, or they are bad at what they do, its just that their audience watches because it's part of who they are as people. aka idiots

I subbed and I like the few videos I've watched so far.
Looked up your channel on social blade and you're definitely on an upward trend, its not like you're stagnant, you do tend to drop off some months I assume thats from you guys playing a game thats not as fun that month though
Don't give up user

what was on social blade that indicated upward?

and I'm trying my damnedest, thanks for the compliment.

Sorry but your equipment doesn't make you compete in the big leagues. It's a requirement (plus even though your captures are good your sound isn't really).
At this point you aren't bottom of the barrel but that's about it.
What makes you big league is knowing how to work social media, having a relateable subject and having hardcore dedication.
You need a target audience plus a more defined topic and style to gain a regular viewership. Right now your channel doesn't look like you really have any idea who you're selling what to.
Right now all you have/are is potential because you don't suck.

Its bumpy but they're going up

Attached: 1514171765688.png (906x369, 42K)

I just saw that shit, seems like some egoraptor esque type shit, the channel aesthetics are good, and you guys seem entertaining enough... Dont worry about it, you'll get over that hump and start getting real views and subs soon

Attached: 1522829390320.jpg (320x320, 17K)

This stung at the beginning but felt better as it kept going.

what is wrong with the audio? I Don't know what to fix if i don't think there is an issue.

you're right on having no target audience because it is just us talking into a mic while drinking and playing video games. Starting with no audience means that's how we've been kind of going forward since start.

I'm getting ontop of social media but like i've said on here its a shit load to do all by myself.

we just rebranded, everything was VERY amatuer about a week ago cause we had no idea what the fuck we were doing.

thanks for the encouragement

Really like how you throw in the clip you're referencing, like the "this is my shooting hand" thing from boom blox

we noticed a shit ton of the let's players talk about random shit with no refrence point. if you have no idea what the fuck 'blazing saddles' is yoiu wont get the joke.

movie reviewers use clips all the time, why can't let's plays is our thinking

I mean I've even seen blazing saddles and I wouldn't have made the connection

Exactly! People here say the amount of images / reference points we use is too much tho, so it's distracting

can we be friends on discord? I want to play doom with people online and hopefully make good friends doing it.

You could try just lowering the amount, or sticking to just the ones that make no sense without context.
Or you could ignore people here entirely, r9k isn't exactly the standard consumer
Theres also the ones I saw in one of the monthly best of that were just clips of spongebob when the reference needed no real explanation since you guys were just doing the mister krabs laugh

What's your deets?

Thanks for the feedback dude. I'm almost done with tomorrow's episode by my internet just got insanely spotty for whatever reason.

mind if I add you too? not for any particular reason. I just want someone to shitpost and talk about video games with.

can you tell me yours? I don't want people adding me that arn't you

Since the one guy wants to add you, and the other is an autism paranoia, you could make a channel discord, make connection to fans and all that

Yea dude post your deets my internet ain't working right now for whatever reason

Glad you didn't think of it as me trying to rip on you.
The audio isn't that much of an issue right now I guess but if you want to improve you need to try adjusting the mic better. You can be understood no problem but the sound isn't clean. When you are laughing or screaming there is quite some distortion and I believe your room has too many reflections. Try adjusting the position of the mic, maybe mic levels and reduce flat surfaces in your room so sound can be absorbed better and there's less hall.

Just playing and having fun is good if you are happy with it. You are probably right about recordings of it not being the most relevant stuff on youtube though. Maybe also try commenting on the game, how it works what is special or odd about it, maybe do some research on the background - discuss the game, add a little quality to the fun. At least that's one approach, maybe another will suit you better.

And about doing it all by yourself yeah, that's actually hard. If you're in the big leagues you have people for that. Until then you just have to do as good as you can. Don't beat yourself up about shortcomings. You aren't the big leagues. They're what you are aiming for and what you should learn from. Not what you are competing with.

why not just make a discord server for all your viewers to join?

Thanks for all the help dude. As for audio you are right we have to figure out something. We were using 2 blue yeti mics but there was a LOT of echo that couldn't be gotten rid of, so we swapped to a single one in-between us. Shock mounted and on a stand.

My processing is I do a hard limiter and then Dynamics process to make it all even. Before if I just Dynamics process it our screams would clip to silence, so we have made an improvement from there

Very confused with this. What?

>the mans gotten like 12 subs from this