Started working as a bartender a few weeks ago and I gotta tell you...

Started working as a bartender a few weeks ago and I gotta tell you, it helped me out tremendously in terms of social skills, self-esteem, overall energy and confidence - small, tight-knit communities are far more welcoming and supportive to outsiders than what you might expect.

If you feel you can kind of, sort of, maybe do the job please try, you'll end up all the better for it, believe me. It may help you out of whatever existential hole you fell into.

Also, little AMA if anyone really cares.

Attached: qwIo4Cz.jpg (614x389, 57K)

Well what kind of customers do you interact with? Dickheads or just ordinary people?

Describe your favorite customer with no more than 20 words and a stock photo!

Bar's a little family-run thing in a small mountainside village in the rural North of Italy, so my clients are mostly locals - farmers, industry workers and pensioneers. It's a nice enough bunch, they've taken a liking to me: they joke around a bit about me being a city dweller in that nice, cozy way that makes you feel accepted. Never had to deal with a rowdy drunk or an obnoxious patron, hope I never really have to.

Poet-painter-writer guy who drinks a lot and discusses philosophy and literature with me

Attached: 13231-a-young-businessman-giving-an-ok-signal-pv.jpg (958x1123, 66K)

Seems like a nice guy, but who is your least favorite customer?

>tfw want to be a bartender but live in a busy crazy city and am also very forgetful

No one in particular really, some of the patrons kind of tick me off because they talk in their local dialect (which is mine as well, but I'm not really good at it) and have a horribly mangled pronunciation that makes it nearly impossible to understand what they want the first time around and I feel kind of stupid when I ask them again and they answer in the same cryptic way. The fact they have weird, local names for some drinks doesn't help it.

how'd you get hired and can you do any magic tricks with the drinks yet?
I've always wanted to be a bartender

Used to work at a local equivalent of a bar i know *exactly* about what kind of guys you are talking lol

Put a notice in a local newspaper. Very basic, actually, something like - 23 years old, seeking job, will do my best. Got called by the owners a few days later, went there and boom, got the job even though I had no experience. Frighteningly easy, to be honest.

Yeah, I can - my main act is called "not fucking up your drink horribly", but I can also do "oh shit I almost dropped the fucking glass" for my favourite customers.

Yeah no, don't do that - I suspect I'm only functional here because I don't have the kind of pressure a city bartender is expected to handle

How is the pay? Can you pay off the rent?

I always wanted to fuck my bartenders, I appalude you sir

Pay is good, 9 euro after taxes - it'd be enough to pay the rent if I were to work more than I am now but eh, not up to me. Luckily, I'm staying at my parents until the start of the next academic year when I'll begin my master's so I'm basically stockpiling cash for that.

So compair to the US how do you think it would fair being a bartender in the US?

Obligatory >guns

I honestly don't know, I mean, I suspect I'd both be more scared of possible violence escalations and worse off when it comes to my salary enabling me to survive, but I can't say for certain

Damn user, that sounds like peak comfy right there

It really is, I feel like I've massively lucked out on this one

>A bar full of long time regulars.

Keep that shit as long you can.

That sounds romantic and comfy as hell. Of course the village must be boring but alongside with this comes also that it's very safe.
You are lucky. Comfy rustic village, easy job. All you need is internet connection and small place to live and then be on internet/Jow Forums all your free time and then play some vidya now and then as well. I'm envious of your stress-free life.

I mean, I'm not living there - it's about a 30/40 minutes drive from my house and, sadly, it'll only be a summer job unless I don't know, traffic in the area suddenly spikes up or one of the two owners decides to drop the bar and do something else. Still, I kind of feel that I'd like to work there years on end if I could.

Hey OP
I always tought I would enjoy working as a bartender, but I'm clunky as hell so I fear I'll mess up terribly.. any advice ?

>be a waiter
>bunch of qtp2t waitresses
>bartender get all their affection

its not fair bros

Attached: 1357234269182.png (457x425, 51K)

Don't think there are any shortcuts to getting less clunky apart from luckluster "solutions" like constant exercise in the actions you need to do and undivided, anxious attention.
I know it sounds kind of dreary, but I never really managed to find better ways to be less awkward around my work environment - don't be too scared tho, if you manage to find yourself a nice little place you can expect people to understand that you've ever really done and you need some time and practice to really deliver. Not everybody is out to get you at your first mistake. Of course, you need to show willingness to learn the job properly and improve at it, but that's doable.

This is basically my dream. Working as a bartender in a small comfy bar with mostly locals and travelers as customers. Absolutely top tier.

What kind of a background do you have? How'd you get the job?

As I wrote here I basically just got called by the owners because of a notice I put out on a local newspaper. Don't have any kind of previous experience as a bartender, a waitress or anything really - I've only worked as a delivery boy and, from time to time, in a bookshop.
The bar had a sign out of the door looking for people to help out but the thing is, the place is really low profile and not on a major road so, apparently, nobody checked in for a few months so they decided to call around and there I was.

You could live there. If it's 30 minutes away it means you are not living in a big city either anyway. I'm sure you have a comfy view to the mountains.

Old houses, old people: not so easy to find a place to live over there, tell you the truth