Discord

Can we talk about how cancerous discord servers as a whole are? I don't have a problem with anons that want to make friends with similar interests and stay in contact, but servers are all completely antithetical to robot and chan culture as a whole.
Every server (nearly) has a hierarchy defined by either roles or user activity but never actual merit to a conversation. When a new person joins a server, whether they have something interesting to discuss or not they are ignored in favor of people either dumping shitty memes or other discussions ongoing (even if the chat is slow enough to read everyone's messages). Similiar to the NPC effect some of you are hopefully familiar with, discord servers also have the tendency to stop activity altogether when a subject requires original thought in order to further discussion.
I have a lot more to say on the subject, but I want to hear what you all think of discord servers as well if anyone is interested in talking about them. If no one is interested I don't want to bother writing more to just have all my thoughts disappear into the catalog drain

Attached: cdf3af3fdcd6a87d194369b74bfd1d73.jpg (758x900, 99K)

I stopped using Discord all together after using it for like a year. Got all the experience I needed from it and I don't see myself ever getting back on it ever again. I had no idea why Discord got all the hate from the people here in the past but now I understand. Discord is useless as shit if you don't have a lot of friends and a lot of the smaller Discord communities always die out or people just leave. Discord is ultimately for normies. If you have a lot of friends that are willing to communicate in voice or chat a lot then Discord could be useful, especially when gaming. Also, the whole meme image posting thing gets really old as well in Discord. I prefer Steam chat now and always did.

>Discord is ultimately for normies.
This is the impression I have gotten more and more strongly these days. What's really funny is that most servers advertise as "anti-normie" when they are packed to the brim of normals who don't deviate a step from mainstream 'thinking'. Everyone's competing for attention in a way that reminds me very much of reddit minus the voting system.

The anti-normie thing is always horseshit. If a certain Discord server is public then it will be infested with normies. Everytime.

>The anti-normie thing is always horseshit.
Oh, of course, but what shocks me is that normals want to advertise as non-normal servers. Do you have an explanation for this? Do they legitimately think they are not what they claim to be against?

Attached: 1453591792840.jpg (600x747, 118K)

I guess it's normies trying to be with the non-normies, or vice versa. Although, this would never work out at all if we think about it. They would not get along socially, unless there is some rare occasion that they actually would. I am not even sure because I haven't observed Discord servers as much.

I can agree, most discord servers these days are cancerous to the bone. It feels like they all try to compete on who is not a normie, and try to be funny. A lot of these servers promise to be comfy, but it does the opposite. I wish someone could take responsibility and make a discord servers where we feel welcomed. Even if it is infested with normies, I don't care at this point. All I want is somewhere I can feel I belong.

Yap, you got it straight to the point.
Fuck Discord anyway, I'll be using Steam chat.

You're not supposed to join the Jow Forums servers. You're supposed to have an account and interact with selected people one on one. Discord servers are more useful for outside communities, they're not designed for Jow Forums ones.

What drives people to advertise their servers here then?

>join discord server
>it's just a bunch of betas orbiting one or more girls
>join a different one
>it's just an echo chamber for like three people out of fifty, and everyone else gets ignored
>join a different one
>get banned for anime picture
>join that one again, with a sport flag
>it's just a bunch of normies talking about girls and fortnight
Discord is cancer.

Nobody wants to participate in a server that has 10 people in it. The more people there are the, more conversation. Entropy kills servers as people leave when they get bored. More people are needed to stop the server from dying. This is crucial for small communities.

I use it for actual gaming stuff, mostly for things where privately-owned game servers I play on have accompanying Discord servers or just for group voice chat when playing games with other people. I think the whole idea of an Jow Forums or Jow Forums in general server is absolute cancer though, the whole point of this place is anonymity and I have no desire to dox myself.

In summary:

>Start a server
>Since you started it you automatically have power
>Invite a few people to the server, if they stay, they get power too,
>That's the incentive and it helps early growth
>Time to convince more people to join
>You change your strategy and say it's a board specific server for a certain kind of person
>If all goes well you have power and people to use power on
>You can use your influence and power to pick up chicks, get money, fake status, whatever

That's it. It's just a scheme by low tier internet psychopaths.

I agree, I'm not sure why discord links are allowed at all, in a way it's basically advertising a different discussion platform that not only takes away from the amount of content on Jow Forums, but also introduces normies and outsiders to Jow Forums to shit up the place. Trannies and blacked threads used to be contained to /b/ but now all the snowflake normies who say "I'm retarded and think I'm a girl" think they are robots and belong here. It also gives attention whore "fembots" a platform to collect even more orbiters to shit up the board.

Seems like mods are finally cracking down on Brooke threads, hopefully they ban all the dirty discord posters as well.

I think anons should still be able to share their friend codes, just like steam, but server invites need to be banned

I joined an r9k discord a year or so back and I still talk to a small number of them today. But it's like any group of people you won't get along with everyone.

Could always start your own

>But it's like any group of people you won't get along with everyone.
The problem is not "getting along with everyone", the problem is discord servers and user culture are implicitly incompatible.

Attached: 58ce0c0a98a30582b80b59ba64c969b9.jpg (679x1210, 103K)

The best servers I am in have like 8 people talking at most.

No. Last time I got friends together in a group, they excluded me.

If you don't intend to "make friends" or something then I don't know why you thought it'd be a better alternative to 4ch in the first place. I thought of discord as a way to get some smaller group of people you can talk to more frequently instead of always throwing your stuff out here hoping that randoms will give you (you)s.

And I bet it won't be around in 6 months.

So not friends. Do you know why it happened?

One of them is actually an r9k discord I've been in for 1,5 years so far. The others have existed for like 2 years or so so far.

A lot of the r9k discords back then were pretty bad too but after I found this one I kind of stopped joining other ones.

Not really. I only ever found out about it because one of them felt bad and told me that they had been doing stuff without me and always decided against inviting me. Never told me why though.

I'm only on discord servers related to modding, software development, 3D modeling etc.

Discord is a really good platform for giving and asking for help with technical stuff like that. Way better than forums.

Well that really sucks, at least that one person told you so you didn't have to waste your time. I'm not good at these things personally but I guess the only way to find a nice group is to keep trying. There are mean spirited people everywhere but sometimes you get lucky.

I still run a Mumble server for friends along with an IRC server, there is something about Discord and the fact you're using someone else's servers that skeeves me.

I tried my absolute hardest to gain a foothold for Jow Forumsiticks and was still fucked over by this mod

Attached: Day9 discord ban.jpg (1400x2056, 617K)

All the people with anime avatars on discord are people you should probably ignore. But ignoring those means you're spammed with BLOCKED MESSAGES in the chat forever because these autists never shut up and never have anything worthwhile to say.

It made me realize I'm too old for chatrooms like this. It's harder and harder to find mature chatrooms the older you get. There was a pro guild that only accepted 20+y/o members and was the best on the server. That guild chat was fantastic because of how difficult it was to get into.

Discord's too easy. People are too willing to get new members so they can collect a harem of people to listen to them.

Ironically, I've always found that the people with faggy 'fashy' avatars are the most annoying. People with anime avatars are much less likely to be normalfags (although many normalfags do have them)
People that don't use anime avatars are normalfags 100% of the time

i agree
hey guys join my irc server at freenode at #roblox

As of late, anime avatars are a landmine. I've stopped using one by and large because of the amount of underaged retards using anime they've never watched to shitpost. I just put pictures of space nowadays.

Otherwise, I don't know. I've been pointlessly using Discord to try and make friends, and I've failed to make any in the years. I'd like to say it's just the choice of platform and friend pool (the average robot, let's face it - is a fucking idiot, just look at the catalogue), but I've also started considering that it's just me and that nobody wants to talk to a boring cyborg with no hobbies, interests or incentive to change anything. Every time, it's either some depression-is-my-personality shit, or someone who has to talk about politics or spam memes or ... i don't even fucking know anymore. I might just be a grumpy, avoidant fucker in the end

>nobody wants to talk to a boring cyborg with no hobbies, interests or incentive to change anything. Every time, it's either some depression-is-my-personality shit, or someone who has to talk about politics or spam memes or ...

This describes me. But at least I'm more unique than normies.

What hobbies can people have that they can talk about to robots? Or normies? I feel bad for being kinda boring.

>Ironically, I've always found that the people with faggy 'fashy' avatars are the most annoying.

What's wrong with them? Never had a fashy avatar, but those guys are okay. Anime avatars are okay too imo. Why are you guys so hostile?

discords always result in high school level drama. It's for jews and women.

Attached: 14444105p.jpg (225x225, 7K)

The majority of Discord is not comfy and or pretty normie, I personally left all Discord servers except one really comfy one where I play DnD since a year now

Im just looking for people who wanna play some PS4. ill also talk to just about anyone if youre not a complete snoozefest. I dont know why people add you and dont say anything.
Lost#2786

Attached: 4F26C6A5-4A73-46B9-9870-0FBFB7001860.jpg (649x1111, 203K)

Discord is pretty cancer but a lot of femanons use it and as a being made entirely of thirst due to nofap it's a useful tool to post pictures of my penis on and get the occasional reply from an actual female

also some games from my collection

Attached: E9DC01BD-E831-41BA-A5C6-A2025E885D8A.jpg (1827x2046, 885K)

if only i could be so originally incandescent

Attached: 9223BD7E-FCF1-42C1-93A7-484685988A38.jpg (1666x2048, 671K)