Calisthenics

what do you think of weighted calisthenics, anons?

Attached: descarga.jpg (228x221, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CAkqIG2Zbn4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are there so little bodyweight/calisthenics thread on this board? Or do people really just think "hurr durr you can't get big doing 50 pushups in a set"

Calisthenics are fucking dumb, that's why

I love weighted body weight movements but I just can't hit legs enough that way so I end up just lifting.

How do all those calisthenics guys get so big then?

Most people here are gym members or have home gyms and lift progress keeps them motivated.

I think weighted calisthenics are legit as fuck, though. When I was too depressed to leave the house, they kept me ripped.

They don't get big, they get shredded in the best cases

Calisthenics are fine but if what you want is to build strength and get bigger just lift, it's faster

Whom? Mention a calisthenics YouTuber who hasn't admitted to lifting heavy in the gym as well

I think calisthenics are pretty important to being fit/athletic. Obviously you're not gonna get huge from push-ups, but stuff like hallow positions are a good exercise that transfers over to other skills. I also think rings are one of the best/versatile pieces of equipment. If you have rings in your gym you should be doing stuff like dips on rings instead of parallel bars.

Is it better to do calisthenics if I have a slipped disc and am almost recovered? My physiotherapist told me bodyweight excersises are fine because, well you aren't loading a 100kg barbell on your back.

Isn’t weighted calisthenics just shitty lifting? Like I thought the whole point of calisthenics was to just use your body. If you’re going to use additional weight you might as well just use a bar as well

All I do are calisthenics
>pic related
>inb4 dyel
Obviously I'm not big. 155lbs, 5'11". But I've never felt healthier. Back when I lifted heavy I could've never done the shit I can now. You guys ever do a muscle up on the rings? Planche? Handstands? Shit makes you understand your body so much better

Attached: 7E6DF5AF-6348-45F0-8A71-213EAE9CDD6B.jpg (1535x2236, 965K)

You can't get big doing 50 pushups in a set, retard. If you can do more than 4x8 it is time to progress.

Continuing, what people don't understand about calisthenics initially is that unlike weight lifting, where progressive overload is achieved via adding weight, the same is achieved in calisthenics via leverage, and putting yourself in more unstable positions. I.e. standard pushups -> ring pushups -> diamond pushups -> pseudo planche pushups. Profession is as much about learning a new exercise and a new way to put your body at a disadvantage than anything, which is very different that lifting weights

Very important

What you don’t understand that it is simply 10 time more complex and 10 times more inaccurate to achieve overloading why putting yourself into some miserable positions instead of using more weight.

If you do calisthenics then you do in for the fun, for doing cool looking moves, to learn moves that most weight lifter cannot do.
You don’t use it to build muscle mass efficiently.
Is that so hard to admit?

I'm not even arguing that. Weight lifting will always be more efficient, there's nothing to learn. Anyone can learn to lift weights.

Calisthenics is skill-based, and that makes it much harder to get into. The benefits, however, are a bette emphasis on flexibility, better understanding of your body, and a significantly lesser chance of getting injured.

To each their own. I find it much more fun compared to the days when I was lifting

You look good man, what’s your routine?

Anyone can lift weights*

Thanks dude. Right now I'm doing Antranik's routine (you can google it, there's a printable google docs for it and everything). For upper body, nothing is better than Bodyweight stuff once you've done the hard part of learning the skills. It really doesn't take too long though. My legs are worse unfortunately. Lower body is pretty hard to hit well with just Bodyweight, most programs recommend lifting weights in that regard. However I've found that sets of pistol squats do a decent job of keeping my quads above chicken leg territory

No what I meant was some people think bodyweight fitness means just doing normal push ups and disregarding all the other more tougher variants

Yea but you're too much of a pussy and rather study the katana

push-ups are one of the most worthless exercises i can think of

That’s because you have no idea how to do them and it’s not as if a push up is the only thing you do when you’re into calisthenics.

What do you mean skill based? You think these exercises take more skill to do than someone being able to squat 400kg?
I don’t think so, most of them are extremely easy and don’t even take a year to do

I weigh 120kg, never practiced it once and can do a muscle up, that lift that all these 60kg calisthenics guys are proud of.

I do believe that there are some people out there that can actually do some really impressive shit that took them years to learn (and probably some regular weight training), but your average calisthenics guy really doesn’t do anything impressive. And those elite guys I talked about do nothing more impressive than the squatters.

If all I want to do is to be lean at 60kg, can I just do calisthenics?

Are you retarded? Lifting lots of weight is a strength feat, not a skill feat. Do you need to learn how to do something new to squat heavy weight over lighter weight? Obviously you have to learn initial form of an exercise, that much is obvious. But shit like handstands, planche, lever, and yes, muscle ups, are about the movement more than the strength itself, to a degree.

Anyway, pic related for you

Attached: 2CB15F03-50A8-4DAC-B066-47F4CE7D72E3.jpg (500x500, 75K)

Yes

>That’s because you have no idea how to do them
lmao

>lmao
rofl

Look at some videos of Chris Duffin and then just get a hint of how much goes into being an elite squatter.
You can’t even comprehend it, there is way more to it than doing shitty handstands you retard.

For fucks sake the amount of DYEL mongrels on this board, insane

>deeeh hey guys my name chras
>first u gotta put the bar on ur back
>den u gotta act like u wanna sit on a toilet and poopy hehe
>den u stand up (no wiping wipin is for older kids)
>and das how u squat

Good luck arguing that squatting is some super-human skill you meathead gym-jockey.

>omg user how did u learn to bench it's such a difficult movement I could never figure it out

You're literally just fucking lifting shit. It requires no balance or skill. How anyone could argue against this is beyond me.

One exception is Olympic lifting, those moves are skill based too. Not fucking squatting tho you brainlet

Attached: 20EE018A-07B4-473E-A7E4-A4AC5719F1B8.jpg (662x900, 67K)

user not everyone cares about understanding their body well, if they did they would be doing gymnastics. It's great that you're making progress but keep in mind that not everyone is looking for the same things.

There's quite a bit more to lifting user, as you said if you're not careful lifting you can get injured, develop bad movement patterns, get asymmetric and unaesthetic

i do ring dips weighted, did 3x8 with 17kg yesterday
they're the only thing that really grows my chest

Of course, I'm not saying calisthenics is better than weight lifting. It just places an emphasis on different things. I truly do believe, however, that you can reach your natural upper-body limit with bwf alone.

For sure, form is important no matter what discipline. But I think weights are certainty more approacheable from a beginner standpoint. You can't just jump into repping muscle ups, but you can jump into repping bench

> progressive overload by leverages

Yeah the problem with that is, to get progressive overload you have to load a bigger % of your BW onto fewer muscles. At its logical conclusion you load 100% of your BW onto every single muscle you have in some kind of isolation lever move.

In other words, you will get an unbalanced body and develop tendonitis.

I have been doing lifting and calisthenics both for many years now with varying gym access due to line of work and travel, and I always end up with a shitty unbalanced physique and joint pain during the calisthenics phases, which resolves with lifting. There are not any calisthenics moves routinely discussed on even advanced calisthenics boards that I do not know and have the ability to do, so I know it's the calisthenics doing it and not my own training

how long does it usually take to master a handstand? like holding myself for 10 seconds
I can hold myself if im next to a wall as much as i want but whenever my feet are free i just lose balance in 1 or 2 seconds

>t. brainlet

It's a great way to enhance your lifts actually. But it's too difficult compared to "put weight up and down" or "use machine" for most people to bother starting.

just hike with heavy pack

I’m a calisthenics fag but lets be real here. A lot of people can’t even bench the bar when they start. However, I never understood this gymbro mentality that bodyweight exercises suck. If you bulk and progress with your exercises it’s the same as progressing on your lifts. The main difference is that you can’t get fat, otherwise everything goes to shit. Furthermore, you can always add weights to whatever exercise you want and also learn how to use rings. Yesterday there was a dyel on Jow Forumsbodyweightfitness that squated 100kg for reps the first day he was in the gym. All because he did bodyweight training.
Personally I’m curious how much I can bench and OHP after 2 years of calisthenics.

most people here only care about bodybuilding, and weights are better for getting swole.
Consider also that this place is full of autists who can't accept somebody having a different goal, and that'll explain all the hate.

now that I think of it, it also explains all the manlet threads.

>can do a muscle up
all by yourself? please, impregnate my sister, I want your blessed genes in my family

Attached: badass.jpg (680x511, 49K)

Need help with this?

>Calisthenics are fine but if what you want is to build strength and get bigger just lift, it's faster

Judginb by the bodies posted on this shit board, I would say lifting weights is a stupid fucking meme and there's 0 need for it.

Your physique is the ideal build for aesthetics and longevity.

Daily reminder lifting weights is a stupid shit meme, and that most people would look better by just doing cardio alongside calisthenics, literally ZERO NEED for lifting weights if you want to look good.
pic related, what chad looks like while doing nothing but swimming and some pushups and pullups sometimes.

Attached: kl.png (333x299, 147K)

post body

Attached: kl1.png (758x602, 476K)

Your muscles don't care about "overloading" they only care about doing more or less work, if you add more work you get gains, doesn't matter if you add more reps, sets, or resistance to the exercise, literally irrelevant.

Attached: kl2.png (1363x329, 99K)

I don't think they're necessary.

There's so many exercise variations for upper-body movements and you can always mess with the tempo/tut to keep making gains, and any calisthenics guru worth a damn will tell you that no amount of lower-body work, weighted or not, will get you the results a few barbell exercises will.

Mirin
What's your routine?

>calisthenics
Spartans did them. They were gay too.

Thanks breh, appreciate it. Gonna try to cut down to 10% tho, I want them lower abs

post routines faggots

Post bod

is climbing considered calisthenics?
youtube.com/watch?v=CAkqIG2Zbn4

I wanna do bodyweight+3pl8 pullups.
I will get their someday, god dammit.

>just fuck your knees up
bicycling. heavy rucks are the devil.

this shit. most people don't need to lift to hit their goals. they just wanna do it because they think it will work better than being outside, feeling the weather change through the months, possibly having a nice breeze instead of the stagnant air of the gym, and never paying a dime for the space to exercise.

im looking to get a set of parallettes. should i make them out of pvc or should i buy a cheap set ($50) on amazon?

>no idea how to do them
>them
not even gonna address the fact there's umpteen-dozen variations of pushup? nigger, I lift but at least I don't treat pushups like they're a single exercise.

Because they are a meme unless your goal body is twinkmode. Any real gains require lifting real weights.

>t. ex calisthenics user

you didn't do it right and don't know how to bulk then, retard

I know people that have done calisthenics for years and are bigger than 99% of Jow Forums

it's a lot slower and less precise than lifting but you can get big af

>t. have done calisthenics for 1 year and took 3 months of lifting to reach 1/2/3/4

how many one-armed movements did you do?

I never said that. Your reading comprehension is embarrassing. A push up is still a fucking push up, whether it’s a diamond, pike, handstand, archer, whatever. Even a dip is still a push up. But it doesn’t matter what variation you do if your rom and tempo suck.

Yeah but you act like they're hard to learn. Pushups are retard simple.

Didn’t say that either. Them being simple doesn’t make them shit. Bench press is simple too but it doesn’t mean you have to avoid it. Most of the exercises you can do are stupid simple, that’s why rom and tempo are key if you want to get something out ot them.

I'm switching to calisthenics because now that I have kids im more focused on longevity.

The real answer is that the mods moved bodyweight general to /asp/
Same with combat sports general and any general that isn't /plg/ or fraud.
They would probably move /owg/ if it wasn't dead anyway.

Amen. There's something really beautiful about shaping your body with gravity. You should check out the bwf subreddit, and if you're into reading heavy tomes, check out Overcoming Gravity. Also, do some research on fasting if you're interested in living longer. It's supposed to increase lifespan by a huge amount

Attached: 933657F4-8159-4F47-9E6A-EDFA37787880.png (655x666, 94K)

>reddit
Kys

>being autistic about where people get their knowledge
kys

doing calisthenics is great for gaining instagram followers and easy pussy, but that's about it.

>owie my feewings

Thanks, I've been meaning to start the Reddit routine, and I've been fasting. I just completed a 9 day fast and refeed yesterday and starting another 9 or more. I'm trying to undo the last few years of binge drinking and bad habits I developed while traveling for work (I pipeline)
My best bro is going to school for sports science and nutrition so he's actually documenting my summer of fasting for school at the added benefit of giving me the extra pressure to maintain the fast.

Remember that guy who snapped his shit up doing bodyweight on the bar for his first time squatting? Yeah, I spent the last month squatting without weights for high reps and just slammed out 10 on 165, 10lbs heavier than my bw. Or how it apparently takes a year to get to a 2pl8 bench? 210 pushups a day, just got 5 in for 2pl8. How about your OHP? Been doing handstand pushups and got 8 reps in at 165. My deadlift has never been below 300. Keep drinking that gallon of milk and settling for 5 reps, maybe in 3 years you'll catch up to my end of year goal.

One of those sounds like a great fucking reason

Dude, funny you say that, I'm just starting a 5 day fast. I plan to do 5 days on, 2 off. Very curious to see if I can get to 10%bf like this. I'll do it for the next month. Based on everything I've read, I should actually be able to add a small amount of lean tissue each fast

you millenials are so obsessed with instagram likes...

ayy

Attached: 13BE2402-E37A-4407-A694-36AD2BD1CFDB.jpg (554x400, 34K)

fatasses can't do a single muscle-up