How do you run without injuring yourself?

How do you run without injuring yourself?
And no, I am not a boomer. I'm 20 years old, so I'm not THAT old.
I normally run 3 or 4 miles every other day, depending on how I feel. After I began feeling pain in my upper knees and legs, I started to train my legs in the hopes of mitigating discomfort during my runs. The pain goes away at first, but then slowly creeps up as I run more.
I currently run with adidas Cloudfoam shoes

Attached: article-0-1899900E00000578-51_964x682.jpg (964x682, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cJfBX5dOTJE
youtu.be/entUXhcgt3c
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_fracture
adidas.com/us/cloudfoam-racer-tr-shoes/DA9305.html
vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/off-road/primus-trail-fg-mens?colour=Black/Charcoal
youtube.com/watch?v=PH-3cHxXAK0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Watc Jeff's video on running form

a few questions
>how old are your shoes? estimate how many miles you have run in them
>when you run, do you strike the ground with your toes, midfoot, or heel?
>do you land on the ground heavily, or with light feet?

Attached: 1530132351416.png (320x369, 218K)

You mean this fellow?
youtube.com/watch?v=cJfBX5dOTJE
>They are relatively new. I bought them one year ago, specifically for running. I've run about 100 miles on an indoor track.
>I normally strike the heel as I press down.
>Come to think of it, I land rather heavily. This is the cause, isn't it?

heelstriking is bad, and landing heavy is bad.
definitely watch some videos on running form
you should feel light on your feet and be landing toe-to midfoot. Try doing an all out sprint while barefoot on a soft surface like grass - you should naturally strike on your toes and feel lighter on your feet. Your run should be like a less extreme version of your sprint, landing more towards your midfoot.
If you land on your heel you don't give your ankles a chance to cushion the blow and all of the shock is absorbed by the knee, which is not good for it

you should get new shoes around the 1k mile mark

No this guy
youtu.be/entUXhcgt3c

>20
>not THAT old
Wtf

> you should feel light on your feet and be landing toe-to midfoot
That explains the guys who run like they're prancing on water. I had a feeling that was my problem. Thank you! What shoes do you use, if you don't mind me asking? I hear adidas running shoes aren't the best for running.
Thanks for the link! The video looks promising!
How old is old?

i can't remember exactly what they're called and im laying in bed rn and don't feel like getting up but they're some kind of nike.
I don't think it matters too much though, use something that feels comfortable, fits your foot, isn't too heavy or so light that it just becomes floppy and weak

>im laying in bed rn and don't feel like getting up
same
>they're some kind of nike
thanks, bud. I used to have some and didn't have any problems. i may have to switch back

Stretch you absolute bitch

Look up runner's knee
Run in barefoot shoes or barefoot, not cuck shoes
Look up proper running form

>Stretch you absolute bitch
But I do. I spend 10-12 minutes doing that.
> barefoot shoes or barefoot, not cuck shoes
Definitions, please?
> Look up proper running form
Currently watching

Youre still years away from your physical peak. Youre an absolute fucking clown

he's shilling vibrams, the meme-shoe.
running barefoot is fine but you should ramp up slowly or else you'll risk straining small muscles / tendons / joints in your feet and ankles that aren't used to doing so much work.
also run on a soft surface like sand. I tried running barefoot on cement/asphalt once and got about 50 blisters on my feet and could barely walk afterwards.

> Youre an absolute fucking clown
At least I'm not the one disparaging others. I am trying to learn and improve, so that I can be fit and healthy.
> on a soft surface like sand
Beach running sounds fun! Glad I live close to one. Thanks for the tip!
>50 blisters on my feet and could barely walk afterwards
Oh, I feel you. I got those wearing Sperry's. Not fun.

Well basically most injuries caused by running are stress fractures. Its a very common phenomenon. When force is applied to an object , an identical force is applied to whatever applied the force to the object. So for example in the case of running , that force is going to be applied to your legs. Usually your muscles would deal with that , but when they are unable to , your bones would compensate for that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_fracture

When you suddenly starts jogging after being a sedetery person for a long period , both your muscles and your bones are NOT used to that. Which means your bones are going to get damaged , and if your body is unable to repair them , this could cause your body some irreparable damage. Anyway I have 3 advises for you :

1)If you start jogging do so gradually , in order to let your body get used to it , building stronger leg muscles and bones.

2)Eat enough calcium so your bones can be repaired and grow.

3)DON'T TRAIN if it hurts , just like you would take a break if your shoulders hurt.

Attached: Hairline-Fracture-Of-Knee-Joint.jpg (1200x1234, 223K)

beach running is elder-god tier
nothing motivates like running past a bunch of qts in bikinis. Your lizard brain will not let you look like a tired quitting bitch in front of them.
Personally i prefer to run in shoes at the beach, but barefoot is fun sometimes. Low tide is the best time because you will have nice hardpacked sand where the tide went out to run on. It's much better than the loose sand further up the beach.

I forgot to mention a 4th advice , move your joints a little before you starts doing anything that would cause any serious stress on them. Your body would than lubricate them with fat , its basically just like you oil a door. It would lower the chances of them getting damaged or hurting after a workout :)

>vibrams, the meme-shoe
I now see why it's a meme
Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated! Weren't you on that other running thread?
>Your lizard brain will not let you look like a tired quitting bitch in front of them.
Ah yes. I've had a couple experiences with this when lifting. Gotta love our masculine adrenaline bursts. You can make quite a lot of progress with that.

Have you ever tried running in waist-high water? Is that effective training?

Attached: 18M7001_MAIN_Callout.jpg (1000x1000, 132K)

>adidas cloudfoam
but what's the actual shoe? I have cloudfoam insoles in my flats and jesus fuck, they are not running shoes.

Marathon runner here. This is correct.

These are the exact same shoes I use: adidas.com/us/cloudfoam-racer-tr-shoes/DA9305.html

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 1.35.36 AM.png (1390x864, 604K)

My recommendation would be vivobarefoot, thicker trail-sole if you run on gravel or any off-road, but do get used to them by doing a few minutes at the start of each run and building up. Same thing for beach running which is great too (sprinting on beach is really good even if you get some strange looks), will be sore muscles in your feet/ankles so don't overdo it. Running barefoot on grass is good as well if you have somewhere to do it.

It's also a recommendation to walk barefoot on uneven terrain every day in order to stay properly mobile and help coordination in old age which is a decent thing to start doing now as a 20 year old boomer.

Nobody mentions cadence? What's your average cadence when running? Heel striking alone isn't the culprit, it's heel striking + over striding.

>vivobarefoot
Thanks for the recommendation! These look comfy: vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/off-road/primus-trail-fg-mens?colour=Black/Charcoal
How often do you wear yours? Do you have any?
> even if you get some strange looks
What else is new?
>20 year old boomer
Thanks for the compliment. ;-;

>average cadence when running
I actually don't know my cadence when running. I might be overstriding as I tend to open my legs as wide as possible. Can you measure this with a fitness band or other device?

Attached: 300059-04z_01_wr{w=653,h=510}.jpg (653x510, 23K)

>cadence
how fast you cycle doesn't really matter when you're getting started.
>over striding
this is important. your foot should strike the ground under your hips, not out in front of you
watch the guys running in this video, pay special attention to their feet, how they strike and where they strike.
also the general form is good to note, chest up and forward, elbows bent at 90 degrees etc
youtube.com/watch?v=PH-3cHxXAK0

>running in waist-high water
not the best thing to do. if you want to involve the water i have some advice from when i used to lifeguard at the beach: we did in and outs. Basically sprint into the water with super high knees until you're around waist deep and can't run anymore, then dive forward, hit the bottom, push off and start swimming hard until you're past the breakers. Sprint-swim back in catching waves where you can. At waist deep high-knee your way out as fast as you can. Sprint up the beach into a point at the deep sand, touch it and then turn around and do it all again with no rest. In and outs. Basically sprint repeats from the shore to out past the breakers. 3x3 or 3x5 is a nice workout.

>I am not a boomer
>20 years old

lol

Attached: ^25D02806450351F940FFEEBB55E6A3323A1F77AF894FC940F3^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png (607x608, 395K)

I'm that guy who wears them to the gym kek, Stealth II model, perfect for DL's etc. and also use this pair for day-to-day use.
Running is barefoot on grass sometimes, and I also have some slightly heavier pair of vivobarefoots with a strap and more stability/tightness around upper foot that feel good for a (fairly smooth) trail run, longer walks on trails, sprints on grass or my semi-autistic obstacle course running (basically running through trees, over/under branches etc.)

Expensive but happy with the quality

After 5 years of running I can tell you that only one thing matters: don't run faster that you should. It is better to run longer or further than to run too fast because forcing the speed is the number 1 cause of injuries. Everything is of lesser significance.

>that 20 years old boomer that thinks he is not a boomer

Attached: 1525130686723.png (1500x839, 371K)

>cadence is fine
>Shoes are new
>Checked form a million times
>Sharp lower back pain with the intensity of a million nails
Fml

show bobs

I like how these evolve further from some weird 30 year old in the gym to just random shots of some one's dad doodled into it.

>dad with his car
>dad mowing the lawn
>dad hanging out with son in a desert

What's next, a boomer doodled having fun at user's birthday party?

Attached: 1530033682265.png (680x585, 245K)