Boxing

Just now getting into boxing, but have been in previous martial arts before. Any tips or workout/diet plans?

Attached: ashitanojoeposting.jpg (227x222, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/myboxingcoach
youtube.com/user/tripleVVV3
expertboxing.com/boxing-training/boxing-diet/common-sense-boxing-diet
youtube.com/watch?v=jt7b8zq6gx0
vocaroo.com/i/s1foCV585JUw
youtube.com/watch?v=6FKM2DCrTs4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shadowboxing every day for a hour.
Jump rope.
Running.
Heavy bag.

youtube.com/user/myboxingcoach

youtube.com/user/tripleVVV3

wear handwraps under your gloves

how are you training? just heavybag for now?

Attached: 400.jpg (597x391, 43K)

Buy a speed bag and cheap bag at home. I managed to MOG the fuck outta most people at my club after 6 months by drilling at home like a mad man

fran sands is the GOAT boxing coach. Definitely start with him, he'll set you on the right foot. precision striking (the other guy user mentioned) is pretty swell too.

Attached: 1514770318052.jpg (320x320, 21K)

expertboxing.com/boxing-training/boxing-diet/common-sense-boxing-diet
You'rd welcome

Want to know how I know you don't know what the fuck you're doing. People at boxing gyms have a healthy amount of respect for each other cause you'll learn humility once you've been rocked by a kid half your age and weight

>shadowboxing for an hour
jesus christ

He's right though, if you take a serious interest in learning the techniques and you've been athletic all your life, its possible to vastly improve on studying alone.

Nope. You won't learn boxing until you've sparred. Also, after 6 months you still don't know how to throw a proper snapping boxing punch. It takes a minimum of a year until you can even throw a punch properly

I doesn't take a year if you drill it for 3 hours a day at home like I did you moron.

Nope. You've just been wasting your time, sorry. Head over to a real boxing gym and put in the hours there

>It takes a minimum of a year until you can even throw a punch properly
So that means you still can't throw one.

Eh, been boxing for 4 years, but okay. I thought I could be perfect in a month if I just went enough, but it took me about a year to develop the muscle memory needed to snap my punches properly. It should sound like thunder on the heavy bag. If it sounds like dull thuds you're doing it wrong. A proper coach can correct your form and give you tips. Good luck

Okay fella. I’ll tell my ex Olympian coach that an user on a mongolese pottery forum says you’re not qualified

>takes 1 year to throw a proper punch
Kek

If you have a coach you're not doing it alone, retard

At least one year. Those that don't consentrate on correcting their form and listern to their coach may never understand how to throw a proper punch

Read my original post mate, I clearly say MY club. The point is putting in 30 more hours drilling made learn faster than people who attended sessions but didn’t put the work in

stop lifting

I'm serious.

fucking lmao. How sedentary are you

What are the factors needed for a proper punch? Details please. Pivot the foot, roll the shoulder, etc.

*stop adding mass
Lifting doesn't do anything bad, dumbass

I thought you meant that you practiced at home for 6 months and then joined a gym. At any rate when you punch the bag is it a thud or a pop? If it isn't a pop, learn how to snap your punches. And spar with those better than you if you're mogging your classmates. I've had to spar pros and any overconfidence I had went away instantly

Which punch? They're all a little different in what you do. And in my experience lifting doesn't do much (doesn't hurt, probably) but you're better off spending that time working on your technique

Shadowbox in the gym for an hour every once in a while, I like to do it in front of all the bodybuilding fags and get off knowing that none of them would even touch me

A cross

I can tell this is gonna be a waste of my time but okay. Basically you want to start with drills. The first drill you want to do is getting into your fighting stance (body at 45 angle) and pivoting the rear foot on it's ball and rotating your body so that you're square with your target. Your front foot should be flat and (this is key) drop your weight at this time so that it almost feels like you are sitting. Then twist your body and rotate your left shoulder back. Drill this for 1 round (3 min)

>reinventing the wheel

Then after you drill this and are comfortable with your body rotation, at the monent that you drop your weight, bring your right cross forward. Go slow and stand in front of a mirror to make sure you're doing things right. It helps to put your thumb up (only to visualize) because your thumb should start in the thumbs up position and end in the thumbs down position. Remeber to push your body weight DOWN and not forward. Your core should be straight the entire time like there is a bar coming out of your head and ass. The snapping motion comes from rotating that arm, and it should be more like a whip rather than a push.

Imagine a punch like throwing a baseball. You don't push hard into throwing a baseball, you whip your arm to generate speed and it's the same in boxing. Power comes from speed. Speed comes from technique and repetition. Good luck

Forgot that you should throw your left shoulder back right when the right is going out and that your right shoulder should raise (from rotating your arm) so that is protecting your face

not the person you're replying to but
>What are the factors needed for a proper punch?
karateka here so IDK if it's different for boxing style punches but here's how I know to get a powerful punch.

It all starts with your stance.
Your feet need to be uncrossed and beneath you, knees bent at least a little. Stand them about shoulder width apart, and you can put one foot forward and one foot back if you like.

With your hands, have them up and ready ready, closed into a comfortably loose fist with your thumb tucked outside and underneath your fingers. Some people like to pull their ring and little fingers back and up for a loaded up, square fist, others like to curl them down and around, pulling the knuckles back slightly, but you're striking with your index and middle knuckle so just keep them out of the way however you hold your hand.
Start with the hand thumb-up, knuckles down in a fist.
For our example we're using a straight right.
Your right hand can start anywhere close to your body, boxers stand with it beside their chin, traditional karate puts it at your hip, some modern karate has it close and your whole arm coiled up beside your armpit, other martial arts have it close in front of you, like wing chun.

Now, your punch starts with your hips.
You need to twist them rapidly, putting the side of your right side forward and pulling the left back. You need to do it quickly, explosive muscle power is important.
Looking down on you like a clock, you're upper half is rotating anti-clockwise. As your right shoulder starts to feel the force of the rotation, snap your hand out in a straight line forwards. As your hand goes out, it starts upside down, rotate it inwards so it is right side up. Lead with your middle knuckle, dipping your hand slightly if you have to. You are not punching at the very edge of your reach, a fist closer is good, but keep going through. As your knuckle is about to contact, flex your hand as tight as you can.

Sounds the same in boxing. The only thing that stands out to me about karate guys is that they tend not to pull their punches back as quickly

If you have kyphosis, doing boxing wont help. The rear delt is underveloped during boxing, you gotta train that part hard with resistance bands specially.

As you flex your hand, you should be making contact. This is when you lean your body forward and roll your shoulder in towards your center line. As you do this you put more of your own body mass into your punch, giving more power than you can generate with just hip rotation momentum and arm strength and momentum.
After your arm fully extends during the punch, you are no longer doing damage so it's very important to pull your hand back, stop leaning and straighten up back into your fighting stance.
That's a complete punch.

I've noticed that too, it's a bad habit from traditional training and Kata IMO because the forms never used to emphasize returning to stance but continuing on with the moves.
Not a huge problem vs a boxer or in boxing gloves, but leaves a karateka open to a grappler for throws.

We boxers only keep the hands up in order to protect the face. I think in karate you don't punch the face so it can be lower. Having said that, you can torque your body faster by having your limbs in a bit more, giving you more speed and power

Face punches are out in Kyokushin and derivative styles, but head kicks and knees are usually finishers so our guard stances cover that

Also, in boxing once the fist is closed and the punch is delivered, we return it back immediately. Remeber in boxing, we're usually setting up for combos or getting out of the way of one, so that extra power you speak of, it's utilized.

I was just describing a very general, powerful straight right.
For combo opening rights I'd say don't lean into it as much, do the rest similarly but when you strike, bounce your hand off your opponent and counter-rotate your hips for the left to come in.

Yeah, then it sounds the same. Generally we don't throw the right as a lead. Try to set it up with a jab or as use as a counter.

Yeah, it's hard to describe how to actually throw a punch. Like the foot rotation - once you get more experience, you just tend to lift/twist your foot briefly and not pivot it cause the cross needs to be thrown fast. But telling a beginner to pivot the foot helps them with that muscle memory

Oh, and we do lean in for boxing, usually when throwing a counter, but you need the fundamentals of sitting on your punches down before you get to the more advanced stuff

The quality's a bit shit but this video goes through a very basic punch/block kata
Note the footwork and look at the knot on the belt to see how he rotates his hips, with his punches he's stepping through with the same side as the striking hand and his strikes are all sternum height, while the blocks are suitable for a middle level strike.
youtube.com/watch?v=jt7b8zq6gx0
My first karate instructor actually had students lift up their feet onto their toes to lean into the strike, but he was a mcdojo master running kickboxing classes, teaching kata and counting japanese so he could call the whole shebang karate.

If you deliberately try to punch the way I've described with feet flat, you'll find your knee bends and your feet naturally come up onto their balls so you don't need to really teach that part.
A trick I learned was for a super basic Ljab-Rstraight-Lhook combo was take the student and go ''left foot here, right foot here'' about shoulder width distance on opposite corners of a square under them. Then get them to just practice 5 times flicking their hips as hard as they can.
Then get them to throw the combo, rotating their hips effectively each time will force their feet to pivot on the spots you put them, but not move off those spots.

Yeah, that LOOKS way different than the way boxers throw it, but the way you describe it makes me believe the fundamentals are basically the same (rotate body). Didn't know that you guys had hooks in karate. In boxing that is hands down the hardest punch to learn how to throw, cause it's so different. The hook is when you understand what your coach means by throw the elbow and not the hand/shoulder. How long have you been doing karate for?

Hooks are extremely uncommon in karate, but there is an elbow thrown the same way you throw a hook where you can just lead with the fist instead of tucking it away. Typically karate focuses on straight knuckle strikes and rounding open hand, hand edge and elbow strikes while kicks are in both either used defensively as more of a push or as a single-use-required finisher, like the good old Chuck Norris roundhouse.
I did karate for a year, then left it to do (lol)pro wrestling because wrestling was too expensive to do both, but kept up with the basics.
It's pretty hard to forget the fundamentals and muscle memory stuff like blocking and leaning when striking, as well as how to fall correctly, but I've forgotten the more complicated katas I knew and haven't had any practice with bo staff since I left.

The problem I have with boxing is that you'll never look big and it's only explosive power that is utilized, so lifting heavy things slowly isn't much help. I think with wrestling you get a more aesthetic physique cause lifting strength is actually utilized.

You can be a boxer and have the mass of a wrestler, you just need to fight smarter. Don't punch yourself out with jabs, instead go like the ultra heavyweights and save your energy for a guaranteed shot.

Boxing is good for training and as a sport I guess it's got a huge legacy but I think it's outdated as hell as a martial art.

Yeah, I don't treat boxing as self-defense or a martial art. To me it's just a sport and I know that there are probably better ways to protect yourself. I don't participate in the my style can beat your style threads, cause I'm still getting mogged just doing sparring in boxing. Boxing is really technical, more than anything else I have ever done, so even after 4 years I'm still discovering new things/perfecting my form. Lifting is divisive among the boxing community - some lift, most don't. It helps to have more mass to ground, but if you're not trying to move up weight classes, most tend to not put on extra mass

Your friend hadn’t been doing MMA for 4 years at all then. I would destroy you with my MMA. Rush me? BOOM oblique kick the knee *SNAP* Trying to grapple? BOOM Thai Clinch with deadly knees. We get on the ground? Even better you’re getting heel hooked. Your friend has been doing McDojo bullshit 2 times a months not MMA

I think the most important thing you can have isn't every kind of punch/kick/throw/grab/hold whatever, it's physical fitness.
If you have good cardio and have practiced 1 punch 10000 times you're going to smash 90% of human beings and 99% of animals

Yeah, not gonna be fighting in the street so it's not so important to me. If someone attacks me, I'll just run away. Side note - beginners are the worst to spar because they don't know how to pull their punches and are going for a ko rather than getting ring experience.

And all that is simply nullified by an untrained thug with a simple knife. Congrats

Attached: 617.jpg (499x499, 101K)

>implying I haven’t been training my iron shirt Qi Gong

good shitpost
user used knife-fu
took me 60 seconds and $22 to learn
We got a lot of that sort of thing when I was doing karate, surprisingly even though I was new the older high belts would slug me in sparring, I guess because I was the only rookie who was an adult male. I just hit them back and tucked my chin for the most part, worst thing that happened was some 16 year old brown belt kicked me in the nuts because he had no control over his feet.

I'll happily admit beginner mma guys would probably destroy me in the octogon. So please, let's not rehash the boxing v mma shit again cause boxing is it's own sport with our own set of rules and for the most part boxers are happy just training what we do and staying in our own world

Most UFC guys would beat boxers and boxing. Just LMAO at your sport

Probably

Sometimes you have experienced fighters unloading on beginners and when you see that, you know it's a garbage gym. I like the gyms where everyone respects each other - most true boxing gyms are like that

Last time 2 world champions from different disciplines got into the ring the UFC champ got his ass so beat up he looked like a drug retard

I stuck with it for a year because I was just so hyped to be doing karate at all, I guess expectations and optimism can make anyone oversee some awful shit

Eh, whatever you find fun, do. Just don't expect that it will be the end all of martial arts. Once I realized the limitations of boxing (a shoulder roll does not work against a knife) I just liked the sport aspect of it and continued training.

That's why I don't even give aikido people shit. Looks fun and keeps you in shape and you can improve everytime you do it

I agree with this generally, but a lot of taekwondo students are super arrogant for some reason even though their entire martial art is essentially a massive stamina drain and gets bodied in any cross-style competition.
Something about most TKD students I've met rubs me the wrong way.

As a boxer, I would never throw a punch on the street. We have our hands wrapped and covered with a glove. If I punch someone barefisted, I'd probably break my damm hands, as they are apparently made of glass. I don't do the tough guy talk and just stay humble in the gym

Should give the heavy bag a go without gloves next time you're in the gym
strike with the tip of your middle knuckles, avoid ring and little finger knuckles

What would you recommend as something well-rounded and useful "on da streets", or two MA's/sports/styles to work on to be well-rounded? I'm sorry for asking in a boxing thread but you seem pretty level and most general martial arts threads get too derailed and people aren't objective. Is it all relative, just get good at something and you will have the same advantage? I know the standard is boxing/judo/wreslting, mt/bjj, or sambo or mma as sort of combined. Or of course kmg. Depending what's available of course, and going to a better school is probably more important than a bad school teaching a "better" style.

I want to start something, preferably that doesn't interfere with lifting. Pretty sure most things would be fun, that is as long as the instructors weren't too Cringy-McDojo which goes along with being a good club to train at anyway. I haven't been in a fight since high-school and have since always de-escalated fights by humour, talking directly and honestly, or laughing over them. And I am fine with walking away or running, so it's not about that, but rather that I'm starting to realise the benefit is not always in protecting you but rather in being capable of protecting someone else.

Unironically, running. If you get into a fight, run away cause you don't know who is carrying what. If you are that paranoid, just carry a knife and I sure as hell would not mess with you. If you are big, you'll have that intimidation factor everywhere but in the ring.

Naw, I'm not planning to fight on the streets. I'd happy run away, given that running/sprinting is one of the main activities of boxing

Having said that, if you do a month of bjj you could probably learn enough to do a simple armbar on the ground, where most street fights seem to end up. That would utilize your strength too, as opposed to boxing which is very specialized in the movements (relies very little on weight training strength). Just don't expect any martial art to protect you in every situation and you'll probably have fun doing whatever you end up doing

BTW, I came to this conclusion boxing, cause we're taught to deflect shots, or miss them my mere millimeters. That does not work against a knife and all the fancy ducking and rolling doesn't work at all if the attacker just does like an overhand chop with a knife. I make no illusion that boxing is essentially useless in the streets. It's just a fun workout and you make gym friends your first day.

Glad to see we've got new pasta

Forgot to mention that it's not about what knuckles you hit with, but more that you're punching a moving target. If you're off because your opponent slips then you may not land flush and break your hand bones hitting the head or waist or whatever. Doesn't happen in sparring cause we use 16oz gloves

why are you even trying to help these braindead mongoloids. you should have let them just live in their own fantasy that they are rocky balboas while people who actually know how to box keep their silence. at the end of the day you know who the real fighter is

Boredom? I've been in enough of these threads over the years to know it's a waste of time, but meh, I figured I'd chip in.

Thanks this seems like good advice, and agree about running. Best way to defend yourself. The difference is in cases where you maybe have someone with you. I guess in that case a weapon is best.
I am leaning towards bjj for something to do as "easy" training, fun and sustainable alongside strength training. And judo; wouldn't want to only be able to grapple on the ground if two guys are trying to come between you and your girl or something. Shame the only places close to me are a japanese jiu-jitsu school that I'd worry is a bit too stylised, a small boxing club, and about 10 different tae-know-do... Everything else is a bit of a drive but that seems worth it for a decent school.

>the autistic manlet that shadowboxes at the gym

It takes one year of "basic training" before you can be considered a boxer. All my coaches have said variations of this.
Boxing is not easy to learn, no matter how much you train, the movements take time to internalize.

Try them all for a month and see which one you like best, but skip anything that doesn't have sparring or a place where the sparring is out of control. The coach should be friendly and easy to talk to and the fighters should look like they're having a good time and helping each other out as opposed to aggressive and hostile.

A good punch means the force is generated from your legs and hips and transferred by your rotating upper body over your arms into your opponent.
Your arms are like whips with iron balls in the front, as opposed to maces.
If you use only your arms to punch, that's what - 3-5kg max? If you use your whole body, that's a good portion of your entire bodyweight being accelerated towards your opponent.
Your arms and fists are only conduits of that power, they just need to be strong enough to withstand it without folding.

This is correct

vocaroo.com/i/s1foCV585JUw

Attached: conu6.gif (320x240, 2.39M)

Also I suggested bjj cause what I hear is that you can learn the basics very quickly and they will very effective almost immediately. I understand that the upper limit of bjj is not so high and there is a huge dimishing return once you move past those basics. For multiple attackers, not really much you can do. Maybe boxing or traditional judo cause you remain upright? But best to avoid that situation altogether.

footwork
Both 5/3/1 and juggernaut method are aimed towards athlethes.
I'd do juggernaut during offseason since its more taxing, and cruise on 5/3/1 during the regular season.
also more footwork

youtube.com/watch?v=6FKM2DCrTs4
r8
now this was my first real match so take it easy

Depends, what did you do before?

Not a boxer but train regularly in bjj/muay thai and lifting for over five years.

>Don't get fucking injured, lots of guys get obsessed when they start doing something new and training 6 days a week with high intensity before you have a clue what you are doing might fuck you up. Slow and steady, same as lifting.
>Keep lifting, strength/size matters so much, don't fall for the manlet baits
>Drain your ears early and often if you start getting swelling, consider doing it at home as doctors are legit clueless and will often want to cut it open rather than needling it
>You'll probably never put your skills to use in a real life fighting scenario, but that is a good thing
>Combat sports are filled with even more insecure faggots than fitness/bodybuilding, avoid any gym with an air of ego around it especially if you look like you lift
>Someone being a good boxer/fighter doesn't necessarily make them a good coach. Shop around when picking a gym, ask for free trials ect.

Being critical of others opinions, you care to post evidence of your own boxing prowess? Or are you just another fuck boy hiding behind anonymity to lie to others?

One of the most.important posts in this thread. Shouldve been at the top. Point 4 is especially poignant, since anyone who has made it this far had already seen half this thread is MY DAD COULD BEAT UP YOUR DAD style faggots arguing how boxing is worthless in the octagon or a street fight. How legitimately stupid are most anons on this board? Be interesting to know.

you sound like a genetic fucking dunce

your fucking stupid if you think some random faggit with a knife is gonna fuck up a well trained fighter get fucking real kid

>attacking a guy with a knife
You better be literally trained in military combat if the guy is even slightly motivated to actually hurt you. theres a reason we took over earth after we started carrying pointy sticks around and not before

Why do people into martial arts have such a beef with people who lift, and vice versa?

i will put it in favor of the fight but the knife still has a chance

>tfw I can't even hit hard enough to fuck my hands up.

protips:

for a fast punch, shoulder goes first, fist follows. Treat your arm like a whip and if you miss, instantly use the force of the punch to spring your arm back into position. Use this instead of feinting. For power punches, the hand and shoulder extend at the same time and you should have more of a diagonal motion from outside to inside with a wider, less bladed stance. This will let you use the weight of your body to push at the point of contact while the speed punch only uses the weight of the arm.

tkd does not teach how to deliver power at all. They have good footwork and distance, but the only strikes they have that will actually knock someone out are all wildly impractical spinny shit and will result in you getting your ass beat if you try them.

Tomorrow's Joe!

Do I have the chance to compete in amateur if I start at 22?

ashita no shit is a trash manga/anime.

His face style is too block with your face. I prefer the villains than the heros in that manga.