/PLG/ - Powerlifting General

'bench monkey' edition

ITT: bench press, squat and deadlift disccusion

Attached: 1507705103386.jpg (522x458, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/Bi2OyMzB_fe/?taken-by=georgeseeger
youtu.be/7WuhgYeBUlE
youtube.com/watch?v=AMJikVEBRak
a.uguu.se/tpqhWNlYqC8I.mp4
a.uguu.se/8FXSsGwGbtBJ.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bench press is the best gauge of RAW PHYSICAL STRENGTH. you only downplay this because you're a pudgy, weak little shit of a manlet with an equally embarrassing bench press.

nobody gives a shit that you can bounce your morbidly obese gut off of your legs for your little bullshit wide stance "squat". nobody cares about your 5 inch ROM sumo "deadlift".

bench. press. is. king.

Attached: 1510863617090.jpg (633x651, 25K)

6 weeks out.

Hoping this will be an opener.

Attached: VID_20180629_184318.webm (720x1280, 2.88M)

Powerlifting is for closed homosexuals.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: 1526232133306.jpg (590x525, 49K)

learn how to root your feet to the floor youre losing force transfer

How tight should the straps on my suit be? I bought it used and I can get it on the way they're sown now, but they're really tight, feels like there's no room inside to actually reach depth

Good luck marcus!

Sounds about right my lad.

You aren't going to hit depth on your first session. And you shouldn't be able to even get close unloaded.

izle did you finally lern?

>izle did you finally lern?
instagram.com/p/Bi2OyMzB_fe/?taken-by=georgeseeger

I'm getting close

Thanks, Isley, I'll take it for a ride soon.
Had to ask because the others in the gym seem to just slip their straps right on and I struggle for ages, but I guess it's just practice

what's the difference between using a SSB instead of a front squat, apart from obviously not having to do the rack position but i can do that anyway.

my new gym has one

Front squats have a higher chance of injury, are more specific to weightlifting and are easier to do in most gyms.

Yo redpill me on how the age classes in powerlifting works

If i turn 23 on dec 31st this year, does that mean starting 1st of jan 2019 i have to compete in open or do i can still stay in jr til i turn 24?

One more question, do I need nut-protection?

>squat suit really tight

how did you think the suit allowed you to lift more weight?

>others in the gym seem to just slip their straps right on

yeah because the suits are too big

try getting into a multiply suit, thats effort

>does that mean starting 1st of jan 2019 i have to compete in open or do i can still stay in jr til i turn 24?
It's like being a 30 year old man child who won't move out of his parents basement.

Just do the open.

You are a junior until the end of the year that you turn 23.

So 2018 is your last year as a junior.

Is 5/3/1 by itself a meme for squats? Is there a way to add more volume/frequency?

Read the book.

There is a high frequency variation, a squat every day variation, and the fullbody templates are often 2x squatting per week.

The beginner version is 2x per week too.

Unless you are a rank novice, 2x squatting is plenty.

Do you have a cap of that user saying how you transformed yourself into a protein fart-smelling monstrosity or something like that? That shit was hilarious

As for volume:

>Main Work Options
5/3/1 sets & reps
5's Pro
Spinal Tap
5x5/3/1
TMx1 or PR
TMx10

>Supplementary Options
First set Last
FSL Rest Pause
FSL Widowmaker
Second Set Last
Boring But Big
Boring But Strong
5/3/1 Pyramid
Simplest Strength Template
+ some others

If you !rent going to read the book to understand the programming, don't do the program.

Posting this killed the last thread. Why would you do it again?

>Is 5/3/1 by itself a meme

Yes.

>Is there a way to add more volume/frequency?

Yes. Do a better program.

Your programming choices led to quick burnout and disproportionate lifts. Hopefully you're learning along the way.

wendler did the genius technique after people called his programme out for being for sixty years old with osteoporosis by making 5/3/1 literally anything you want so it can't be called too low volume/frequency because then it's the users fault

>then it's the users fault
It really is. Take responsibility for your training regardless of what program you do.

Hey lads, can I get some form feedback from yesterday's lifts.

youtu.be/7WuhgYeBUlE

This is a squat single at 160kg, pretty easy but any higher and it gets ugly really fast (I failed 167.5kg after this). Maybe confidence issues? I don't have a good rack to dump to.

Then following that I did this 115kg bench, pretty maximal of course.

youtube.com/watch?v=AMJikVEBRak

I'm aware that my main issue above all right now is I'm 82kg at 6'0 tall, so I'm going hard bulk for a year and destroy myself with volume 4x/week. Any technique help to set me off on the journey'd be very helpful.

>Front squats have a higher chance of injury
What?

Bench vid is unavailable.

Squat looks fine. At heavier weights you will need to learn to control your descent to be tighter in the hole, but technique is overrated as long as you don't have any glaring weaknesses. You just need to embark on the journey of of getting bigger and stronger, and then periodically check technique to make sure that there are no weak point breakdowns.

thank you very much my man, i appreciate that

i've fixed the bench video now, unfortunately i think you'll have less kind words about that one because it looks ugly af, idk i try and get as tight as possible but it doesn't look it here

you don't need frequency, but you need more volume at higher weight for skill and cns development. afterwards some hypertrophy for main movers and weaknesses.

Bench is spooky, but that's because you were handling a maximal load. If you can control descent on lighter weight and maintain better leg drive/tightness you'll be fine. Don't hide from the dumbbells when it comes to hypertrophy and stability, and incorporate paused bench work.

5/3/1 is a meme no matter what way you configure it, stop talking about shit programming

Lol fuck off.

It's arguably the most successful strength development program. It's not perfect for powerlifting, but it is comprehensive if you are reading the up-to-date literature.

If you don't like it because you are a contrarian, or because you prefer Eastern training methods, that's fine. But that doesn't make it a useful training tool for those that know how to use it well.

>But that doesn't make it a useful training tool
*Doesn't mean it's not a useful training tool.

No programming works unless you do

you're so wise

programming is a joke

just do one heavy day one volume day. Only thing that is key is finding out how much volume you need and use heavy day to track progress

what programme do you recommend then?

>programming is a joke
>do this program

A joke how a simplistic setup is enough for most people to progress

Plus i didnt list a program

no but you're still describing programming you fucking brainlet lmao you're just saying yours is best how are you so lacking in irony

Attached: 268zj7.jpg (645x729, 26K)

*awareness of the irony

Never said any of those things

Keep doing your sheiko raffy

Ive literally just been doing a main movement and adding 5kg a week until i cant then switching to a movement that addresses where i was weakest in the last one

No spreadsheet no percentages or rpe

My days literally go

Main press
Secondary press
Triceps
Back
Rear delt
Arms

Main squat
Deadlift movement
Back
Glutes/hams
Arms

Spotting a lolfed meet today, wonder if anyone from here is competing

yeah it will work coz youre doing enough, but not too much volume to progress

Im just working on where im weak and trying to grow muscle

Today is brutally simple

8x10 wide stance belt squats 105kg+60-110kg of band

Trap bar farmers walk 140kg as many as i can handle

Back extensions 3x20

120 kg bench for 3
70 strict press for 5
80 kg push press for 5
125 kg squat for baaaarely 4
160 deadlift for 3

190 cm
95 kgs

can somebody fucking figure my issue out

It will work because he's a roidaroo.
For non frauds, progressing is harder.

Nice cope.

>f...fuckin roidaroo. My 4 plate deadlift is more impressive because it took me 5 years of n...natty hard work. Sheiko 4 lyfe

>training your weaknesses and having more muscle doesnt help natural lifters

Ive officially heard it all now

>It's arguably the most successful strength development program.
based on what? if we're talking about what got the most pounds on the most barbells, it's probably 5x5 shit, Bill Starr routines and Starting Strength

if we're talking about what sold the most Plazma (TM) (R) and got the biggest push on the internet then sure

not trying hard enough
also stop doing push presses (and any other fast lifts) for more than 3 reps, form goes to shit real fast

Youre weak, its as simple as that, not an insult, we all started somewhere

You most likely just have weak legs or really struggle with stability with a loaded spine

oh i know im weak
i was even worse for 2 years of trying to get my strength up but sticking to 3500 kcals got me into steady progression for a while
now ive been here for 3 to 4 months and im stumped over what i need to do. assistance, food, form?

your bench and ohp aren't that bad but wtf is going on with that squat and deadlift

Without seeing your lifts i cant tell you much

Probably a combination of needing more quad/hamstring work, shit form, and more food

>more food

Id argue thats not the issue, dependant on his bw ofc but hes not far off what i eat (4000cal)

Without the raised tdee from huge volume and anabolics youd probably just get fatter not stronger

>Id argue thats not the issue
first time i've ever seen this on /plg/, ever

he's 95kg with a 160x3 deadlift, i don't think food is his issue, i'd look at programming and consistency first

Seen what? Me not recommending more food??

He might have a glaring issue or musculsr imbalance

seen anyone not recommend more food

I'd argue that setup/mentality/form are probably more to blame than anything else. Then again without seeing any of his lifts it's hard to actually tell.

l should probably do some assistance work yeah. lm constantly tweaking my form and dont know what is better orbworse desu some let me lift higher and some feel more stable.
and with assistance i keep reading that its about just lifting heavy and assistance isnt "magic" so fuck i just need some none prodigy in here to bless me
alright big man, god bless

Assistance isn't magic but if you have specific muscle groups lacking it's nice to get some volume in those areas without affecting others as much. Post some form videos here and we can help you out form wise too.

>hurr durr conjugate doesn't work

Raffy was also a big proponent of TM, which you just described.

Overhand shoulder hurts when deadlifting.
Pls help.

Attached: iseeapedo.jpg (764x959, 45K)

it's true though

okay got a couple webms i just uploaded from few months back

130 kg squat for 3

a.uguu.se/tpqhWNlYqC8I.mp4

goodmorningd them i believe yes? i try to highbar but i cant find the balance to stay straight
170 kg deadlift for 1
a.uguu.se/8FXSsGwGbtBJ.mp4
all i have at the time. i can get more on monday ofc.
please be patient,everybody around me does bodybuilding style training or coaches for money and have had no irl guidance with lifting for strength since i started years back

Set up fixes so many issues its unreal

Im not doing conjugate im doing 'push a movement as far as it can go then do something else'

Send me videos of your lifts, camm0704 on insta

hooek greap

I think it's ghey.

no insta brother,just posted this

squat looks all fucked up

stance looks too close

its also the only stance that i can
1.push that weight with (quad>hams?)
2.go that low on

if you need more info lol

also you don't look 95kg at all, you look really lean for that weight and those lifts

how tall are you?

190/191 cm

im an honest to god 95.5 kg since a month ago when i took my dexa scan

15 percent bodyfat

lean upper body with a lower abdominal fat pouch and a little nipple gyno

january pic from when i was 96.7

Attached: IMG-20180108-WA0037.jpg (4608x2592, 1.03M)

ive been lifting for 5 months
47.5 kg bench press for 3
65 kg deep squat for 3
50 kg deadlift for 6

17 yo
79kg
181 cm

what is my fucking problem? there are important asymmetries there

Only powerlifters allowed ITT bro

where am i supposed to ask that question in this indian board?

are your lifts increasing

>17yo

Attached: reported.jpg (365x214, 30K)

Yes. From those 5 months i started doing the big three lifts during past two months only though (coach is a retard)

but I don't get why my lifts are so asymmetric

BRRPFFT PLOOOP

PLOOOOP

you know those sounds by now right?

Yep you guessed it

That’s the sound of Norman khan bring excreted and subsequently falling into the toilet

once you've determined the movements you do, how do you determine your volume in the main/secondary lifts?

Are you getting bans for these?

Check desuarchive and search “Norman khan” and search for deleted posts only to see how many times I got banned for
Norman khan posting

Main movements are 5x2-3 or singles dependant on movement, anything heavy thats bottom up like dead press

Secondary movements are usually 3-5x5 or 3-5x8

Attached: 1527642714532.gif (499x499, 1.03M)

What's the way to leg press for quad gains? A certain cretin has been trying to mog me by loading up the incline. I'm currently doing 2x10 high-bar pause squats. Should I just do forward knees+shitty ROM and load up every plate in the gym? It feels dishonest and my instict is to try to wiedn the stance and use the full ROM the machine, but then again, it's ego-lifting and if I can make gains with more weight I'll do.

Attached: 1365503983451.png (525x700, 390K)

>I'm currently doing 2x10 high-bar pause squats* after 5th set low-bar squats*
The leg press would fill that spot.

aptitude f9r now.

too early to tell, differences will come later just keep at it

Daily reminders sumo deadlifts are not real deadlifts. Otherwise they would be called deadlifts.

Strongman is the better sport.

Attached: 1529450443929.jpg (700x539, 96K)

Doing pause squats after your main work is just increasing risk of fatigue based injury, take the load off the spine and train the legs

Deadlifts seem to be overly affected on my cut. My chin up strength is improving significantly, however I have to seemingly give my deadlift two weeks rest if I ever wanna pull even 70% of my old tested max.

What should I do?

Attached: xuuoqmqsq1711.png (2089x2040, 101K)

This is basically what I'm doing nowadays. I don't really have any particular progression in mind though, I just try to hit some rep PR every now and then.

Main movement
Back
Triceps
Rear delts
Biceps

Lower your training max.