What's the possibility of developing muscle at a calorie deficit? I've heard mixed messages on this...

What's the possibility of developing muscle at a calorie deficit? I've heard mixed messages on this, but I'm under the impression that if you're still getting enough protein a beginner like me can develop muscle at a cut. Is this a good idea, or should I just cut for a little while and then bulk up?

Attached: buffman.jpg (300x168, 4K)

You’ll develop muscle but at an extremely slower rate

As a beginner noob you will absolutely gain muscles without any problem while cutting, you should work out and run when starting out living a healthy lifestyle long term.

No reason to 'wait' until you lost weight then begin working out, i don't understand this reasoning.

retard

Depends how fat you are

ordinaries need to dispel the idea you can get lean and muscular at the same time. You need to EAT A LOT and lift (not too much) to make gains. As far as cutting goes, you need to change your diet. If you fast food or eat meats other than poultry + alcohol you will probably not make it

I'm not an absolute beginner. I've been running for a couple of years but I'm still carrying a bit of extra weight (I'm about 170lb and 5'9). I've only started lifting in the past few months though.

yes even if you're obese 600 pounds you should still be eating above maintenance (~10000 calories) to build muscle

The best thing to do is eat at a surplus and cardio the calories away. This leaves you with the nutrients and protein / you can eat what you want but you gotta do a lot of cardio which might be okay if you run. You're gonna put on muscle at a deficit but it will be annoyingly slow progress

Absolutely correct

Would it maybe be better to do a cut for a bit first? If I cut how much of what I lose will be fat and how much will be muscle?

THIS.

I'm finally starting to force myself to hit 3500cal and paying attention to macros again. The first two years were basically a learning experience, and I could have gotten the same gains in about 8 months if I ate properly

if you're at a -1 calorie deficit you automatically lose all your muscles it is the law

If you’re a really fat fuck, you can get some gains at a caloric deficit.

What are your lifts? If your a noob you will makes gains easy at a deficit no problem. Ignore the vast amount of trolling in this thread.

unless your overly skinny or fat, I would suggest eating at maintenance. As you start to put on muscle you'll probably find you'll start losing a bit weight anyway as your bmr increases

You should cut, I'm just saying it's better to do it through exercise than eating less food. If you eat at a small deficit (250 - 500cal) and work out consistently how much muscle you end up with will depend entirely on your lifting strength and current muscle mass. You won't lose muscle if you are on a small deficit and work out consistently

80kg Squat
75kg Deadlift
45kg Bench
30kg Overhead Press

You can!! But the process is veery slow, as 46653646 said.

Attached: slowfuckingprogress.jpg (1000x644, 401K)

Just go lift and stop the autism.

Jesus christ lad what are those numbers

beginner numbers you retard

skinnyfag with a protein question

if I start drinking protein drinks in the morning everyday and I don't workout vigorously, what will happen? Will I just get fat?

I do occasionally go out on long jogs once every few days and walk around a lot. I know a lot of men drink protein in the morning and I'm wondering if there's any benefit to it outside of weightlifting

It does nothing.

drink it after a workout

i think building muscle doesnt get done on a deficit because the body HATES building muscle and wants to store fat and conserve it when possible