Buyers advice

For a barbell set with weights and bench?

Jow Forums buyers advice general.

Attached: york_b540_weight_bench_with_50kg_barbell_dumbbell_set_york_b540_weight_bench_50kg_set_1z_2000x2000.j (2000x2000, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G716ij7nBqg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no idea but have a bump

Got a bench from dicks as a gift. Was more of a lardo at the time, like 290 lbs (granted I'm 6'5"), I alone exceed the weight limit. Said fuck it. Bench like a real man, on the floor. More strenuous exercise for the muscles and no bench needed. Added bonus of being able to lift more when you go to a gym and get on an actual bench where it's easier. If you're a small ass person though where you can't get the weight off of yourself with ease then get an expensive bench.

Just buy a good barbell with good weights, you dont need those dumbbells and that bench

absolute cheapest, minimally acceptable home gym that allows you to squat, bench, deadlift, etc. is total $380 + tax on sale right now

fitness gear pro olympic weight bench (pic related) $190 + tax
fitness gear 300 lbs olympic weight set $190 + tax

fitness gear is dick's sporting goods house brand so you can only buy it there, but i highly recommend it. you can squat off the back and bench safely with the safety arms, and it's pretty compact so it saves space.

only additional thing i bought was the weight tree but you don't really need it.

enjoy my top tier recommendation

Attached: 16FGEUFGPRLYMPCBNWGHA_is[1].jpg (1755x2000, 147K)

Probably good to start off with a set that's under 150 pounds, I picked up a basic set for about $80.00.
Despite the larping and hardcore lifters on here amateurs can not generally properly lift more than 150 pounds from the get go so you waste your money otherwise.

pardon me

B&R 2.0 bar
SML-2 Squat Rack
built platform myself
Rogue Monster bench
Rest is Rogue too. Great quality.

Attached: IMG_0338.jpg (1136x756, 206K)

Besides your lighting that's a pretty nice setut. Would be a 10/10 without the construction lighting.

>Titan T3 short cage
>York deep dish plates
>Rep fitness adjustable bench
>Ohio power bar
>Ohio deadlift bar
>3/4" horse stall mat and 3/4" birch deadlift platform

Attached: homegym1.jpg (2048x1152, 210K)

buy christmass lights with big bulbs and hand it on the corners of your wall, will give an sensitive touch to your room and it will lighten up much better than this shitty light there

well its my garage so generally i just open the garage door and use the natural light

Attached: IMG_2255.jpg (3434x2752, 1.37M)

and on sunny mornings we bench in the driveway

Attached: IMG_3020.jpg (4032x3024, 2.44M)

>york deep dish plated
FUCKIN TOP TIER TASTE, IM JELLY
When i was building they were my first choice, but i couldn't stomach the shipping. Was using rogue's black friday thing that made the whole order ship free.

youtu.be/G716ij7nBqg

here's a video of my home gym.

I definitely recommend spending the money on a decent barbell. Something that's the right diameter and quality for your interests, whether it's a power bar, weightlifting bar, or whatever. Keep an eye on Rogue's webiste, occasionally they will post a sale on some of their barbells under the "boneyard" section, where barbells have a cosmetic defect for a significant discount.

Then go ahead and get a quality rack as well. I started out with a flimsier, cheaper rack and had to replace it once I got strong enough. I would have just been better off buying the better rack right from the beginning.

The quality of plates doesn't matter nearly as much. You can get by with being patient and buying them used. if they are in terrible shape, refinishing them is not difficult. Most of my plates were rusted terribly when I got them.

Get a solid floor. a combination of plywood and rubber mats (horse stall mats are generally the best deal here). It's worth having a solid floor to lift safely and properly. I like just having a solid rubber floor, but having a strip of plywood running down the center of the room would have been okay as well, but my heeled shoes don't grip the wood very well without some sort of finish.

if you're serious about powerlifting, I would get a designated flat bench that is competition specs. If you aren't, then I would just get one adjustable bench. The 1st gen titan adjustable bench I have is pretty bad though, I don't recommend it. It's not sturdy at all. It's certainly cheaper to get a low quality bench, but it's pretty annoying.

dumbbells and whatnot are all optional and not necessary at all. but occasionally you can find them used online for a good deal, and they can be nice to have.

be sure to check out facebook marketplace for used gym equipment, i'm noticing that marketplace seems to have more gym equipment posted than craigslist nowadays.

holy shit that looks supremely comfy

Attached: 1348305730805.jpg (126x121, 4K)

is that laminate flooring from home depot with rubber floor mats? I used to work in flooring there during college and thought about building something like that when I got a place

but don't you waste your money by buying a shitty beginner's bench if you plan on exceeding that limit otherwise

t. bought a shitty beginner bench and regretted it after 4 months

I found my York bench in the trash, but I only have 160lbs of weights so I should be fine right? (I weigh 180)

Well I was dissatisfied with my sissy bench that had 100 lbs of weights pretty much like 4 weeks into lifting when I weighed 120 lbs so like take that however you want man

You can't actually deadlift or squat a shit because there's no fucking weight and if you don't have a rack you have to clean your shit every time just to do a squat so that's a thing. I guess you should be fine until you can bench your own bodyweight and then some, but after that you should seriously consider upgrading.

Your bench weight cap is ~400 lbs yeah? Make sure it's structurally sound too I guess if you found it in the trash

actually just do everything this guy says too

Anyone got a home gym for oly or zercher lifts? Thinking of building my own platform so I don't ruin the brick backyard.

Ok cool, thanks

The bar that increased the angle of the was fucked so I removed it, otherwise it is fine.
For clarity mine has a rack attached to the bench, non adjustable.

there are two things you need to think about when it comes to racks

can it hold the bar so it doesn't turn my bench into a blunted guillotine

and

can I use it to squat

If the answer to the first question is no, do not use the rack. If the answer to the second question is no, you're going to need another dedicated rack if you plan to squat. Not really sure if that's important to you and alcohol is making things harder to understand here so I thought I'd just throw all that out there to be thorough

Ok, i'm not OP, but I do appreciate the advice.

I don't know what the max weight is for my rack but it is the type that terminates at the top of the support posts instead of being mounted on the side, so much more than I can lift. The only perk of it being non adjustable

It is not appropriate for squats.

literally just bought the 300lb set yesterday, fucking love it. cheap, durable, great for the homegym.

fuck yeah, get some vitamin d from the sun.
ohh yeaah

Are these benches a meme, or is a basic adjustable bench enough.

>T. Gym fag joining home gym master race

Attached: DB730BA7-27A1-4625-809F-51B7C0F4DA86.jpg (500x500, 151K)

>terminates at the top of the support posts instead of being mounted on the side

this is not the type of thing you type at someone who is in the process of getting hammered if you want a clear conversation user

so I mean I assumed your bench's maximum weight capacity is 400 because I googled a York bench and the first one I looked at said 400 lbs. If it can hold you and the 160 lbs at the same time I'm guessing there shouldn't be any problems but remember to put pillows beneath the bench to cushion the catastrophe when it happens if not

In any case you should probably be able to use it to bench all the weight until you run out of the stuff to put on the stick so just like do that I guess until you can do reps of whatever with 160 lbs bench, whatever you're happy with I guess

The problem will arise if you want to do something like bench more than 160 lbs for 5-8 reps if you're following a proper routine with standard overload progression of +5 lbs per workout. This can be substituted with more reps instead and you will still make gains but it's not optimal or some bullshit

really just like get a good bench+rack setup as soon as it's economically feasible for you to do so. Plan for your ultimate goals instead of what's in your pocket right now because at the end of the day it's better to buy the one bench, one rack, and all the weights whenever instead of 2+ benches and however many racks just because one is cheaper for you now. If you're concerned about

a. not having high long term goals for your body that will eventually necessitate the usage of a high end home gym setup

or

b. not being motivated enough to ultimately meet those goals and give up prematurely

then really just like man up and stop being a pussy or do whatever fits your goals and your wallet man

How much does this look like it can hold up?

Attached: Screenshot_20180702-211229_Samsung Internet.jpg (1080x2220, 403K)

Reminder that squatting alone is a death sentence unless you're doing babby weights

I don't live in the USA unfortunately.