Are rest days a meme

are rest days a meme

Attached: 1525830431002.jpg (480x640, 227K)

Do you really think you need a whole days rest cos you went to the gym for an hour where you spent 95% of the time sitting on a bench doing nothing?

yeah bro you have to shock the muscles.. keep em pumped
they heal within a couple hours... go hard or go home

I've never not laughed at that pic

the Bulgarian method and some kettlebell routines (e.g. Simple & Sinister) have essentially no rest days

so it depends. you can adapt to stressing the body in this way—including stressing the body in the same way—but it might not be optimal for you, right now, and it certainly won't be optimal for you, forever. at some point the stress required to drive an adaptation is enough to cause too much fatigue for you to go to the gym the next day and do anything other than light/speed work

unless you're on drugs

to add to this: as part of my personal plan i was trying to do VO2max intervals on a turbo trainer the day after squatting and i was consistently failing at this, for weeks and weeks on end. i hadn't detrained as a cyclist; it was just fatigue that i couldn't fight through or adapt to

every notice how people who work manual labor are jacked? even though they work every day? it's because the idea of a rest day is just a general guideline idiots need to follow so they dont injure themselves when they dont realize theyre exhausted

> Do PPLxPPLxPPLx
> Injure myself despite perfect form
> Tendons and ligaments don't heal nearly as fast as your muscles
> Recover for 2 months
> Do Push (strength) Pull (strength) legs (strength) PP (hyper) L (hyper) rest S&S
> body feels fatigued, can't keep up at work anymore, legs feel super tight.
> This is while eating grilled chicken, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, sweet potatos, lentils, Skyr, Eggs, Cheese, Avocados, Oatmeal, fruits. etc

Yes you need rest days bro

Cause weekends don't exist.

>are rest days a meme
No, they're not.
You go to the gym and intentionally cause damage to your muscles lifting heavy things, to provoke an adaptation response from your body, to repair and rebuild those muscle fibers stronger than they were. This takes time, building materials, and energy. At the very least you don't work the same muscle groups on consecutive days because less than 24 hours is not enough recovery time; at best you work different muscle groups.

Then there's the matter of accumulated fatigue. You go to the gym for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours per session. If you're being very aggressive about it and lifting 6 or 7 days a week, even if muscles are recovering sufficiently enough in 48 hours to keep up the pace, and even if you're eating more than a sufficient amount, and even if you're sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night, quality deep sleep, the rest of your body is accumulating fatigue and not completely recovering from it, so you're carrying over some fatigue from one week to the next. After several months of that you've accumulated quite a bit of fatigue and would need to take several rest days away from the gym to 'pay down' that fatigue-debt.

Now, above I'm talking about someone who is genetically lucky enough to recover from trianing quickly, and has the time to sleep as much as they want. Most of you aren't that guy, most of you have school or jobs or both and other things going on that take up your time, and you're lucky if you get 7 to 8 hours sleep a night. Most of you also don't recover from one day to the next sufficiently to keep training 6 or 7 days a week without burning out after several weeks in a row like that. So you have to build enough rest into your training schedule to prevent that, because Overtraining is a Real Thing, and granted you have to really fuck up bad to have that happen, but also it sneaks up on you if you ignore it, and once it happens you're forced to back off for from days to weeks.

scheduled ones?
yes, total meme. try and workout 7 days a week and rest when you need to

They are. A nights sleep takes care rest. At least there is nothing wrong with alternating between cardio and lifting all days of the week.

>people who work manual labor are jacked?
except they absolutely are not. I worked as a mover and i was way bigger than the other guys who were barely more than skinnyfat. They were strong as fuck though

Most ppl rouitens are full of pointless meme exercises that can hurt the joints

>just make shit up as you go, it's fine!
No, that's fucking stupid. You structure your training schedule to have rest built into it, not roll the dice and take the chance that you fuck yourself up.

It's the 'functional strength vs. hypertrophy' thing again.

Most of you use training regimens that build size, and strength is just a by-product of that. The muscle fibers you build that way are not as dense. You can become just as strong, if not stronger, with different techniques that produce denser muscles by recruiting a larger percentage of muscle fibers. Many of you also use creatine, which causes your muscles to retain more intra-cellular water, giving you that 'pumped up' visual effect that has nothing to do with actual strength.

Yeah I noticed that too. They could carry heavy shit up and down stairs all day

>They are.
FOR YOU.
>A nights sleep takes care rest.
FOR YOU.
>At least there is nothing wrong with alternating between cardio and lifting all days of the week.
That's the only thing you said there that applies equally to everyone.

>Not everyone recovers at the same rate!
That's the reality. Youmay recover faster than most. It's also as likely that you don't train as hard as some therefore you require less recovery anyway. Lots of variables in this equation to consider.

No. You could go to the gym ever 4 hours if you had one nearby.

i'm not him, but some additional context for anyone else reading this: you can have autoregulated routines (e.g. based off RPE) where your loading and tonnage respond to your perceived levels of fatigue. ("Bulgarian light" is like this and, for that, there need not be any dedicated rest days.)

such routines will usually have days of rest, of course, and novices (95%+ of Jow Forums) probably shouldn't touch RPE or anything else that requires experience under the bar

true. i thought i might have to do with CNS conditioning as well but i have no idea what im talking about

yeah, the first week was brutal but i adapted pretty quickly

I don't know why but these shops always make me happy

>CNS conditioning
..is what happens when you lift heavy and forcefully to recruit the largest percentage of muscle fibers possible.

No, especialy when you do a lot of training.
You need to regenerate once in a while...

>Now, above I'm talking about someone who is genetically lucky enough to recover from trianing quickly

how do you know if you're one of tehse people? based off of soreness? based off of feeling tired? i've never seen anyone really explain this

You max out every day
If you don't end up injured then you are one of those people
Good luck