How important is strength training for boxing?

I have been away from lifting for about 6 weeks after a back injury, but I have been doing tonnes and tonnes of boxing and I still looked jacked like a white version of Mike Tyson.

Is it possible to forgo weight training entirely and still look jacked if you box like 5 nights a week?

Attached: 154769-004-52FEC439.jpg (303x450, 14K)

Yes but why do it if you have the time to do both. You will be stronger and better for the strength training.

You can chill on the internet when you're old.

But you can't defend yourself

Excuse me I'm brain damaged. What I tried to write was why not do both if you have the time.

Ironically this post is a fairly good reason to drop the boxing but do it anyway.

>How important is strength training for boxing?
depends on your natural fighting style

>Is it possible to forgo weight training entirely and still look jacked if you box like 5 nights a week?
look at professional boxers. They don't look like skeleton marathon runners now do they?

>look at professional boxers. They don't look like skeleton marathon runners now do they?

i wonder why that is

Attached: anthony joshua deadlift.jpg (600x1067, 79K)

prime mike tyson didn't lift single bit and he wasn't a skeleton either

boxing alone is mainly cardio/hiit depending on hard you go. You will obtain skeleton abs mode at best.

uhm but user didn't tyson admit to taking steroids?

He was basically a teenager when he began his professional career and looked like a beast.

did you know you can take steroids as a teenager? it's pretty weird but dbol tablets don't just cease to exist when a 13 year old touches them, crazy right?

not that important,it might help depending on the person but its not a "must"

both ammy champions of my country didnt lift

(lifting is more useful in grappling though)

its by far the most athletically beneficial supplemental training modality....

as to how "important" it is, thats really a how long is a piece of string question. The aspect of primary importance in any sport is the specific skills of the sport.

I can hardly imagine that you dont have time to do both. You could even do once a week strength training and reap benefits.

> prime mike tyson didn't lift single bit and he wasn't a skeleton either

mike tyson is also an actual genetic freak, someone who was 210lbs, very lean, 5'11 as a fucking 15 year old. You have people on this board who take a gram of trenbolone and testosterone every week and are barely 180lbs.

no. That never happened, a classic case of chinese whispers; Tyson said that he was doing cocaine and smoking weed before some of his fights, such as the Lou Savarese fight. He detailed using a fake penis and clean urine to evade doping hunters.

thing is if he is serious about boxing he should be doing as much as he can on technique training (since hes probably competing as amateur) and in ammy lifting is really not needed.

pro guys can start lifting since their technique is on good level

this just my opinion though

I was an ammy boxer for 10 years. There is really no reason you cannot do both, and it is beneficial to do so. Obviously technical work takes precedence, but its not like you're going to be lifting so frequently as to interfere with practice. Thats a bit ridiculous.

what would have happened if Cus D'Amato hadn't died or someone with actual morals instead of Don king had continued Tyson's boxing training?

Attached: tyson-cus.jpg (1024x894, 69K)

No Samoan face tattoo

Mike Tyson would have continued to dominate the heavyweight division. Undisputed. Cus wouldn't have let him fall off. Then, when Cus would've eventually died, roughly the same shit that already happened would happen.

>All these faggots ITT saying strength training is useful for boxing
The only thing strength training for is when you're moving up in weight so you don't become a fat shit. Very few of the greats lifted at all, it doesn't increase punching power in the slightest as long as you stay in the same weight class. Cardio and muscular endurance reigns supreme

it's the easiest way to make yourself more competitive in an absolute sense in any combat sport

even if you're mediocre, a mediocre heavyweight beats a good bantamweight

Yeah I'm retarded. I was looking at it from the perspective that OP was competing in amateurs or something. For real life scenarios the heavier you are the better unless you're a fat fuck/movement restricted muscle freak

yeah pretty much

if you plan to compete i'd probably stay as light as possible

taking hw punches = no fucking thanks

Boxers run, skip rope and do situps. Mostly endurance and cardio. Of course they need to maintain some strength, but lifting is an incredibly small part of it.

Lower weight class fighters do.

this. When i was an amateur, i was running 4-5ks and 2 sprinting sessions a week.

And Gym 3 times a week

Strength ... you mean looking jacked with a lot of muscle mass. It only ever applies on heavyweights.

>Mike Tyson
>White

Manlet confirmed.

Stay in your weightclass

Manlet

>post heavyweight who has been criticized for doing too much strength training.