What the fuck

So I've been playing with dumbbells for a few weeks

People say I should be doing like 8-12 reps times three. What the fuck does that mean? Is it daily? Am I literally just lifting for 3 minutes every day and that's it? Why wouldn't I just do more? I see people staying at the gym for hours on end every day, what the fuck are they doing there?

There must be something that I fundamentally don't understand here.

Attached: dumbs.jpg (700x700, 57K)

if you can lift six or more reps in a set, you're not lifting heavy enough.

Attached: IMG_20171020_214743.jpg (184x184, 5K)

I'll take the bait - you do that amount of reps for three sets. So you do it in one go, take a 30 second or 1 minute break, then do it again. And you do that with other exercises, sometimes you can do SUPERSETS, where you finish one set, then move on to a different workout.

Do you think there's only one single exercise you can do with dumbells? I don't get what you're trying to ask

But then my form fucks up. How do I add weight with having to heave the thing upwards every rep?

if your form fucks up you can't lift it, can you? sounds like you got some muscle imbalances, just lift your baby weights with good form in sets of 5 until your baby stabilizers catch up and then go from there. fuck how hard is it friendo

I'm not baiting, just an idiot

No, it just seems easy or overly quick. Even with more exercises, that's like 15 minutes at most. That doesn't sound right to me.

raise your reps then. do 4 sets of 15-20 and stop being bitchmade. if youre arms/chest/shoulders aren't sore at the end of your workout you aren't lifting enough, either weight or reps

by lifting close to your failure weight for reps every single day. that's how you get stronger, einstein. you build muscle by subjecting your body to that repeated stress on a regular basis. it's called progressive overload. it's basically grinding under a daily cap.

They do get sore, but then a bunch of liftbros tell me that my form is shit and I should be able to perfectly do the rep without wobbling. It's fucking confusing.

I know I should, and I do. My arms are fucking wrecked every day now. But when people watch me lift, they always have something to say.

>do 12 bicep curls around failure weight
>"your form is shit, you're struggling too much"
>do 12 bicep curls with less weight and perfect form
>"you're not struggling enough to get stronger, put more weight on it"

That's how it feels to me. I feel like I should just ignore people and then do 500 shitty form bicep curls every day, because no one agrees on the correct procedure anyway.

My original question got a bit derailed - is it normal that one day of lifting is only 15 minutes of work?

you sound shitty, uh
did you read the sticky, uh

Attached: 820fcd7ffd947cfcb5667e6e6e082cec.jpg (500x500, 27K)

curls are a fucking accessory dude. you do them at the end of your workout after you've already worked out your arms through various compound/full body weighted movements. IMO 5x5 at 80% your max single rep is good enough. all you are aiming to do is destroy some of your bicep muscles so you can build up new muscle. also if you are in the process of building strength be aware that rest is just as important as lifting regularly. so only do arms every other day.

No. I'll do 9 sets of squats as my main movement today, with a top set of probably 370x5. I'll rest 2-3 minutes between each set. Then I'll weighted hyper extensions and grip work. Whole thing will take about an hour.

30-60 minutes depending on how much you're doing. Anything less than 30 is useless.

sorry I do a bunch of lifting exercises, I just used curls as an example. But thanks for advice, I'll do more full-body stuff. It all just seems like very little work, I was under the impression that lifting would be time-consuming as hell.

I'm trying to lose weight and build strength, and I heard lifting would work well for both (for beginners at least)

3-5 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise, at least 4 exercises per workout, wait no more than 2 minutes between sets.

doing this you will hit a wall so you will have to incorporate strength training into it.

As a natural you should be lifting 6-7 times per week if you are going to go high rep.

if you're a beginner, then yes, you'll only spend fifteen minutes or so lifting. advanced lifters spend so long in the gym because they're either doing a bunch of warmup sets on their way up to their working weight, or they're on roids and therefore benefit from a lot of volume. if you're new and natty then an eight hour arm workout won't do anything for you

Attached: 1475954763094.jpg (877x727, 118K)

Why is there a hole at 7 reps? Any why doesn’t everyone just do 9 reps for max gains?

1-5 for strength, 8-12 for hypertrophy. 6-7 does nothing.

Attached: rep range.png (710x266, 7K)

alright, yeah I lift every day now

That comforts me a bit, I was afraid I should be in the gym for two hours every day, ain't nobody got time for that

Start by learning good form on bench press, squat and deadlift. Startdoing them but not all on the same day you moron.

Attached: 1495316111792.jpg (326x352, 20K)

>does 6 reps of everything for years
>makes no gains

Attached: Doubt.png (492x280, 85K)

not op but an idiot also, is it bad to do reps until failure rest for a minute and then keep going until failure?

God damn you are a fucking retard

interested in this as well, I know many people who do this and they look decent.

Yeah I wrote that multiple times in the thread, but you're not helping so go fuck yourself

You do different exercises with the dumbbells like

Curl and press 12 x 3
Thrusters 12 x 3

You don't just do one exercise

Why does it drop in high rep values? Do you actually gain less muscle on 20rep compared to 4?
Seems pretty far fetched desu

because dumb shit if you are able to lift it 20 times then it isn't heavy enough to cause muscle fiber damage. reps in that range may as well be cardio. you lift to failure because your muscles are working to the point of failure.

Because its a meme

LOL what a brainlet , everybody knows cable rows are the best for optimal gains 12-15 repsx10

Attached: a.jpg (660x948, 142K)