Anybody suffer from Trichotillomania, i.e the urge to pull out their body hair? Mine is the hair on my head...

Anybody suffer from Trichotillomania, i.e the urge to pull out their body hair? Mine is the hair on my head. Been doing it since I was 10 or 11 and I'm fucking 18 now. There's times were I can stop for months and then boom I'm back to ripping good amounts of hair and it then will spiral out of control. I've thick hair but now the hair around is thinning and it's thinning by the day. Who knows eventually one day it could just stop growing. I'm a dude by the way which is supposely uncommon as the majority of people that have this are female. Anyone have advice other than going to see a therapist because that hasn't helped at all lmao.

Attached: trihotillomaniya.jpg (230x164, 9K)

My brother used to do this, he's autistic, now his hair is very thin and sparse. It breaks my heart when i see him to think what he's done to himself it started when he was in secondary school so i think it has to do with him being bullied. It makes me cry he shouldn't of had to have gone through that. I hate people they are mean little fucks. I don't know what to suggest, do you think its stress that's causing it?

I keep scratching and picking flakes out. This is not that bad right?

Yep, been doing this since I was a kid. Now I'm 32 and have noticeably thinning hair because of it. Still can't stop.

Try shifting the urge to pulling the hair out of your balls and crotch, that way you won't have to stop your weird habit and also will never have to shave your balls again.

You might have psoriasis on the scalp if its itchy and you are picking flakes out

I lived a period of trichotillomania and now that I'm balding I regret it more than ever.

>tfw you are afraid of being seen as fertile
>rip hair out

I used to always pull my hair bars hairs out but I solved it by never growing my beard out

Thanks, his life hasn't been easy, its not fair on him. Maybe the stress caused it to happen as a coping mechanism for it and now its become a habit

Sorry to hear that about your brother that really sucks. I'm not sure if it's stress I was sort of in denial that it could be but it seems that when shit hits the fan which has done this year, I start to pick more vigorously. I could be chilling and not be stressed but still pick.

Wish I could do that but think the pain would be too much.

Yeah honestly I think that's what is happening to me. I'll get stressed, pick my hair and then even after I've stopped being stressed it's turned into a habit that is ridiculously hard to break.

Do you phase out then catch yourself doing it or are you aware that your hands are going for your hair? If you are aware you can try to fight the urge, get up and do something, its going to be hard because its kinda like an addiction and you'll feel it under your skin itching away

Yeah I'm aware I'm doing it and I know this is fucking weird but I bite the roots off the hair too for whatever reason. Yeah the urge is ridiculous I'm not sure what an addiction to smoking is like but surely this most be close like it's so difficult.

That's good that you know you are doing it, that means you can fight the urge, you can, you have stopped for a few months at a time. Its not going to happen over night but the more you fight it the less it will become and if you get up and do something else even if its going out for a walk it will distract your mind from this urge.

You should pluck your facial hairs
I have trich and when Im having anxiety I pluck all the hair out of my face.
Its very gratifying because you can see it in the mirror as you pluck it out, and there's more pain so it has a better shock value
Plus you dont have to shave for a couple days!
Also if its really bad day and you aready plucked out all of your facial hair you can pluck out your pubes!

I always feel really guilty after tearing up my face with tweezers but I've found its WAYYYYYY more gratifying than pulling the hairs on your head

Attached: 1527112509343.jpg (1000x913, 163K)

Yeah I guess you're right it's good I'm aware and I have been able to stop. Thing is it's so demotivating when I relapse and start to see bald spots again. I generally just feel lazy when I've relapsed and stop caring which then makes it harder to stop because I just stop giving a fuck which I know I really should and deep down I do.

Yeah I sometimes do that and also the hair in-between my eyebrows but for some reason I personally don't get the same sense of relief I do when I pick the hair on my head. Maybe I've become so accustomed to it?

Good advice though and I'll take it on board for sure.

When you relapse, just fight the urge with something, its going to happen like i say its baby steps, do you know why they call it baby steps? Because its relearning its going back and relearning, just as a baby would do. You do care or you wouldn't be trying to get help

Yeah I know what you mean by baby steps it's just I would have thought since I've done this since aged 10 that I would have learned to control this by now. Also when is said I don't care I mean in the moment I'm like fuck it and go all out picking, regretting it afterwards of course.

Are you on any medications? Stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin can cause or amplify this disorder.