Martial Arts Thread

What would be the best martial art for me?
I want it to
1) Channel my aggression
2) Help me get fit
3) Make me better prepared to fight if I ever have to
The only thing is that I MUST NOT take constant punches to the face, as much as I love the idea of boxing

Also use this tread to talk about martial arts in general

Attached: 20120528123533-Huston_Fighting_On_24x36in.jpg (1000x666, 173K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H7oe5ZR78kY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you get into a fight outside of your martial art, you will get punched in the face. Take boxing and get over it, pussy.

I mean, I could take a punch or two, but they shouldn't be the bread and butter of my training
>pic related

Attached: postsurgery_front_20100510.jpg (1000x530, 60K)

>Martial arts
>Refuses to get punched

I think Joe's McDojo is the place for you OP.

Attached: 1534258578657.jpg (548x536, 30K)

If you can't do striking then BJJ, wrestling, or judo.

jiujitsu really is the most overrated shit around
the only reason I do it is for the cred due to the undeserved hype around it

Is there a way to practice boxing without getting punched to the mouth specifically?
It's like I pointed out here , too many punches and my jaw might literally break off.
Wrestling looks nice tho, a bit more practical than BJJ and judo.

You really don’t know shit, if you’re a martial artist and you believe that give up.

Attached: 29152C7C-2A82-4950-B596-3E8279AC8327.jpg (1600x900, 899K)

Pick a grappling art. Pick a striking art with defensive kicks. Perfect self defense.

I was able to tap all my wrestler friends within 1 month of jiu jitsu back in high school. If I can tap em I can break em. That’s pretty practical to me

Attached: 34F19F17-AEFE-4A47-B08F-C643CD77E0AB.jpg (448x299, 73K)

Attached: 4F07EFD4-5AFC-4B9E-849C-8ED33C2748F4.jpg (600x400, 40K)

major effective styles of martial arts with pros and cons..
>boxing
most straight forward to learn and the simpliest to apply on a fight as it main weapon are punches, god tier conditioning, usually weak against other styles unless you have knowledge of defence against them
>muay thai
god tier roundhouse kicks, knees and elbows, decent punches but those are used to set up everything else, clinch work is also godtier as well as the conditioning,
>wrestling
best conditioning in all martial arts, god tier leg takedown and throws, perfect base style to transition into pretty much any other,it has zero grappling attack and defence
>bjj
the most popular style for grappling, possibly the most effective style when its a 1 on 1 scenario, has little to no takedown as its focus is almost entirely on grappling
>vale todo (mma)
bunch of techniques from different styles, god tier conditioning, but it can be hard to get really good in mma if you don't have a background in an other styles.
>catch wrestling/ sambo/ kudo
the three best and only real mma styles of fighting, catch wrestling is the same style as freestyle wreslting but with a massive arsenal for grappling, sambo has the most direct approach to grappling and takedown and godtier conditioning, kudo has the widest set of skill you will find in any martial art. good luck finding them outside europe, russia and japan tho.
from these point are other styles the can be usefull but is better to cross train them with other more usefull styles.
>kyokushin
hard body conditioning, great close combat punches to the body, best highkick in all styles, zero defence
>judo
hard conditioning and godtier balance and defence against throws and sweeps
>taekwondo
fastest kicks in all styles but really nothing else
the following are styles that has very usefull elements to it but everything else is useless
>karate
front kicks
>savate
acurate as fuck kicks, but very slow and highly unrealistic combos
>wing chun
trapping techniques

Attached: 1515016666522.jpg (640x943, 136K)

Muay Thai for striking
Greko-Roman Wrestling or BJJ for grappling
Judo for throws

*3 is tricky, since most MAs are a meme.
About as much as said, boxing should have you covered.
Although, if you want the full rounded education covering the entire spectrum of the fight you'll need boxing, muai thai, BJJ and wrestling.

that's judo
the leglock meta is explicitely not part of brazilian jiujitsu, that's all new age stuff that came largely out of the united states

Judo

That’s an armbar lmao jiu jitsu comes from judo you dingus and yeah leg locks are jiu jitsu omg you don’t know dog piss

leg locks are a response to the fact that bjj doesn't really work in an actual fight
you can listen to eddie bravo talk for hours about this stuff, the whole reason he developed 10th planet was as a way to try an make jiujitsu applicable outside of a jiujitsu match

Hah have you even seen the early UFC’s you muskrat? I feel like I’m arguing with a flat earther the effectiveness of jiu jitsu is so obvious. Unless it’s more than 1 I’ll give you that

There needs to be a sticky for this shit. The question is asked all the time, and the answers are always the same.
1) MMA
2) BJJ
3) Boxing
4) Muay thai

yeah early MMA when the jiujitsu guys were wearing gis and able to use the friction, grips, and lapels to manipulate people
it's like having a weapon with you in the ring

once the gis were taken out of the equation jiujitsu quickly lost favor as the slippery gripless grappling is what was required
suddenly just like that wrestling became and still is the preferred way to grapple because it was developed specifically for holding on to slippery naked people

bazilian jiujitsu in MMA today is used for little more than bail out maneuvers because you got stuck on your back
wrestling is what controls the fight and dictates where it takes place, and submissions are coming from modern systems like danahers
seeing someone win by way of what could be called brazilian or gracie jiujitsu is a rarity and usually comes on the heels of an opponents mistake rather than a fighter imposing it upon someone in a fight

Some people need their brains for their jobs you mongoloid. I wish i could box, but me having brain fog would hurt people I like.

Attached: illegal choke Roman Vlasov bozo starcevic 75 kg rio 2016.webm (800x450, 2.94M)

youtube.com/watch?v=H7oe5ZR78kY

Just start training with Master Ken.

Your jaw won't be exatly safe while wrestling. You can box/wrestle non competitively though, it's pretty much safe

Attached: tumblr_nwpbgyLVSj1u0q7hno1_r2_1280.gif (900x1238, 522K)

>4 Get permanent brain damage

>I am a nurse who does martial arts.

I have boxed for awhile. It is awesome for self defence. Just don't do it long term, you will be fine. Spar lighty, every so often and don't do fights.

>Thai boxing sounds like what you need.

There is less risk of brain damge also. Most gyms are aware of the damage, knocks to the head can cause.

It is awesome work out on the heavy bag at home or during class. Striking is the main factor in self defence and fighting.
You need to spar to get better. Do it every so often, don't get into fights on the street or in the ring.

Also fighting isn't self defence.

Attached: IMG_5249.jpg (640x798, 108K)

>'rassling
>judo
>some place where they hit but there's no professionals

I cant it will mess with my head and ruin my dreams of becoming an actuary

>karate only has front kicks
Karate is very weak on the mat, but under any other fighting conditions, it can be very lethal.

It's just straight up funny how all of a sudden, everyone is an expert on martial arts here.

Just find a martial arts club, try some stuff out and see what works for you.

Attached: yautja.jpg (640x800, 128K)

Historically, all non_European fighting arts sucked donkey balls whenever they met European fighters - both unarmed and armed. It wasn't even close.

Unfortunately, the classical European fighting arts are now sports and thus better than nothing, but they lost their place at the top of the food chain.

Muay Thai is just watered down Savate.
BJJ is just watered down Judo, which is watered down Ju Jutsu, which is watered down "Kampfringen" ("Battle wrestling") from Europe.
Boxing is watered down bare knuckle boxing from the 17th and 18th century (which included wrestling and low kicks).
Wrestling is a sportified version of original wrestling and useless in a street fight.

The history of martial arts is very sad. After WW2, Japanese arts and European arts pretty much died out. After the Communists, Chinese arts are dead - if they were any good to begin with, which is questionable according to the sources.

We also don't have many manuals on how our forefathers fought - which is extremely unfortunate because they were fucking awesome at it.

Now we have some roided up monkeys artlessly flailing at each other, then panic wrestling.

boxing judo wrestling or BJJ are all going to apply alot of pressure to your jaw.
more than likely you'll continue posting on Malaysian algae farming board instead of joining one cause you're a fucking faggih

Boxing Wrestling and MMA are way older mate.
Greeks had those in their Olympic games.

Attached: the-bloody-deadly-heavy-fights-of-ancient-greece.jpg (700x458, 128K)

You cannot avoid being punched other than git gud. To minimalise the damage you should use a head gear that covers your face. Also first thing they teach you is to have your chin tucked in so you don't get sucker punched.

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 7K)

user you sound pretty knowledgeable, out of Judo and Muay Thai which should I choose?

Thai Boxing, clearly

>Just don't do it long term
As in practice for a couple years and then quit?

Just do boxing with light sparring you faggot. You knowing how to actually throw a punch properly will put you well above the average bogan who will wanna start a fight with you for no real reason.

I'm actually looking forward to joining to kajukenbo. It's a mixed martial art that aims to apply techniques from several other martial arts that can be helpful in real-life fighting.
Does anyone know if it's any good? Or is it just a meme

>that aims to apply techniques from several other martial arts that can be helpful in real-life fighting
So basically the same thing every other martial art claims to be?

Aye trapping boys represent

Move on to Thai boxing.

I only did it for a year and some months.
Hardcore boxing gyms spar hard, all the time.
Sparred twice a month "hard".

Let's settle this, guys:
Muay thai or boxing?

I compete in Judo at a decent level and my BJJ background nets me all of my victories. As in, every single win in the past two years. My ground game is just way too far ahead for most people to keep up.

I'd say there's two reasons you don't see a lot of pure BJJ in an MMA context:
>short rounds (main reason in my eyes, as this leads to the following one)
>you can skip learning most of BJJ's offensive techniques as thoroughly in favour of a defense that is strong enough to stuff it and rely on another game plan

to be fair you'd have a hard time getting into a grapple against a vicious opponent (the guy grabbing nuts and breaking fingers etc). Also I just realized if you got on the ground and the two of you were afraid for your survival it would be all about using your weight to crush the skull or something.

If you’re OP and you’re really worried about getting hit, judo, if you’re not that worried MT

>competes at judo at a decent level
>has to go to ground and hasn’t won with ippon in 2 years
Do more throws

Boxing, wrestling and judo

any of you anons have any opinion of eskrima? is it a meme

bro, playing dirty is just another tool in the grappler's arsenal if push comes to shove. Jon jones can poke your eyes all day anytime he wants, Demian Maia can do the same on the ground.

everything in this post is wrong.

I've never seen a serious injury in 10 years of muay thai training (fighting is another story).

every few years people get wrecked joints in bjj and are permanently DQ'd from the sport.

Kyokushin or any of the other less popular styles of knock down karate.

>no gloves
>punches from the waisted to neck permitted
>kicks permitted to the leg, body and head
>fight continues until someone gets knocked down

Honestly you can't fight without taking head hits. In wrestling your getting thrown. You're smashing into peoples heads and shoulders often knees. I mean striking is obviously the worst for the head but even something kendo or HEMA where you were lots of head protection. You're still gonna get your bell rung a little once in a while.

Just know it's entirely worth it and do it all anyway.

BJJ is the meme of the moment and it is very good but it's rife with so much misconceptions. BJJ may be quite gentle since you're mostly on the ground cuddling but my gf was doing two nights before some guy got thrown right on to her head and I roll over my head and neck constantly. Not to mention chokes are as conducive to brain damage as strikes.

Find something in your area and just do it. Frankly it's all good. All of it. Even stuff people shit on is better than nothing.

>It's like I pointed out here , too many punches and my jaw might literally break off.
>Wrestling looks nice tho, a bit more practical than BJJ and judo.

you are just a no go for martial arts bro. wrestling involves a lot of extreme pressure on the neck and face including your jaw.

why not just attend mma classes?

Total bullshit. Martial arts isn't hard sparring all the time. If you're injured or disabled you tell your opponent and they won't crush your head. It's still worth doing.

Education ruining brain damage in both striking and wrestling occurs almost always after having been knocked out/put to sleep then getting back up and keeping taking knocks to the brain.

It's been proving in studies of boxing. Just don't train like a caveman every time and it'll be grand.

>put mouth on tail pipe for ~30 seconds
>drink a glass of paint thinner
>eat some lead paint chips
>get vaccinated
>write this post

Pick the thing that doesn't belong

>too many punches and my jaw might literally break off.
>Total bullshit. Martial arts isn't hard sparring all the time. If you're injured or disabled you tell your opponent and they won't crush your head. It's still worth doing.

okay sure tell this to the guy that does MA every week.

I should, but the last two times I won by throw I suplexed my opponents into hospital. I'm the cause of multiple shoulder surgeries and don't like it one bit, so until I feel comfortable with controlling my throws again I'm just going to stick to ne-waza.

Yea well 4 times a week here. Stop training like a retard.

not training hard enough, the post.

Have done both and prefer boxing due to how the training is done in a traditional 'boxing' way.

Great conditioning, prepares you for real fights as you are actually used to people fucking coming at you.

Conditioning is pushed really hard.

Slips, head movement, footwork counters. Muay thai has a lot less of this and is more stand and bang.

Are you in Seattle? Sifu Rusty? A few friends of mine studied under her. I took a few classes when I was a kid. The style itself is pretty good. You will actually learn some practical self defense stuff. You will also probably be expected to learn katas, which I think are just bullshit choreographed dances. That being said; they do teach a bit of grappling and clinch stuff. You should have a good time.

Anyone know of a place I can learn nadashinkage-ryu in the USA? I've looked everywhere, but it looks like they only have a gym in Weebpan

lmao try yugen shinkage ryu you filty casual

Attached: tough-4328957.jpg (708x1102, 116K)

Man this brings back memories
>start reading Tough around when I started lifting
>get a skull cap, t-shirt, sweatpants, and a pair of sneaks to look like Kiichi's for when I work out
>wear them all the time when I'm at home
>try protein powder for the first time
>tfw didn't know that whey was dairy
>tfw lactose intolerant
>feel a shit coming on while watching netflix
>try to finish the episode of what I was watching before going, just clench and hold it in
>feel a little shit slipping through my cheeks
>happened before, no biggie, just might have to throw away underwear
>it all starts leaking out
>hobble my way to the bathroom with shit leaking out of my ass uncontrollably
>shit all over the front and back of the inside of my Kiichi sweatpants
>tfw can only wear my Kiichi sweats in my apartment/when nobody else is at the gym now because of the stains/crust

Feels bad man

(You)

Attached: wtf man.jpg (459x434, 43K)

Tough bros, I started reading it around 5 years ago at this point, the prequel is good too if you guys haven't read it

Attached: 005 (2).jpg (728x1189, 166K)

my local mma gym won’t even allow students to train unless they have a background in at least one martial art

I had double jaw surgery too, but it's not a big deal.

It's been 6 years since, and I'm sure all the bone grew back in between.

well that's just bullshit, is a good thing to have a background because mma is shit at teaching you actual well structured basics, but that is fucking bullshit

Muay thai. Boxing is good and essential to striking, but I believe that it should be added to existing striking repertoire, not used by itself. If you're just looking to get fit and have some practical self-defense knowledge, it works great. You can pick either.

But I prefer muay thai for the other weapons you learn. Kicks, knees, and elbows are pretty devastating. The best thing is that you can add boxing combos to your hand combinations. The gym I train at teaches us to set up our other strikes through our hands, so we get supplementary boxing training. Obviously it's adapted to muay thai because bobbing and weaving means you eat a knee to the face.

Do you practice any fight? I still haven't talked to my doctor about it

Fuck off vaxxer

I'd say boxing is the superior sport since it's a lot more intricate and thoughtful, muay thai can be slow and a bit of a slugfest with not a great deal of focus on technique and strategy at least at amateur level. But I'd recommend learning some boxing and then adding (not switching to) muay thai.

The Thai gyms I've trained at never seem to focus on proper boxing, they teach you to throw 1-2 punches to set up kicks. I've seen loads of amateur muay thai fights between Thais and Westerners where the Westerner has come from a boxing background and the Thai got annihilated because he had no answer for good boxing - the guard goes up and he just gets pummelled because he freezes up and doesn't return shots, or when he tries to throw a punch he gets caught and knocked down. Muay Thai is great but it's even better when you have a good boxing base to begin with

Attached: 1504969880575.jpg (700x934, 116K)

>I want it to
>1) Channel my aggression
Mediation and a high dose of growing the fuck up
>2) Help me get fit
Any of them
>3) Make me better prepared to fight if I ever have to
You'll literally never have to fight anybody unless you live in the third world or act like a chimp. Life isn't a fucking movie. Adults don't go around getting into street fights.

All that said I recommend BJJ. No punches to the face and it is more rewarding to be smarter than your opponent than it is to think you can muscle your way out of every situation. Might do you some good to be rolled into a pretzel by some hundred pounds girl with a black belt that has far more technique than you.

Attached: wen-wenn23067730.jpg (699x710, 142K)

bump

I always dreamed of going competitve in boxing MMA but because of reasons i started lifting just 6 months ago and just escaped skinnyfat weak mode at 22 so i can finally train without breaking myself, but is too late? I heard of people going pro at like 30+ but those are ofc very rare occasions,

Attached: 46336442352463648.gif (480x270, 424K)

I might take up jogo do pau. I'm gonna be In Portugal for one year and I'm actually Portuguese and this is a Portuguese martial art so I'm tempted to do it. Its a staff fighting art so it would be fun to learn. Especially when I'm an old dude and need a cane.

Just get some mats for your basement and do 20 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, 20 jumping jacks and 10 cart wheels. Then you can spend time learning some katas on YouTube and practicing some fancy kicks on one of those extendable bags until you tire out. Congrats you just saved 120$ a month of martial art classes.

"MMA" is a meme

Why are so many numales attracted to muay thai?

Did you know that some martial arts are not purposed for fighting on any level, at all (e.g. Aikido)? Did you know that some martial arts are purposed specifically for war (e.g. Muay Boran)? Did you know that some martial arts were purposed for sports and competitions (e.g. Muay Thai)? Did you know that some martial arts were purposed specifically for killing people quickly (e.g. Karate)? Did you know that some martial arts were purposed specifically for duels (Fechten)?

No because this is bait

Attached: miyagi.jpg (1941x2231, 620K)

t. white belt

This picture looks like peak manliness

Judo all the way bb

Has anyone here gone pro or are you all "lets have fun and train a bit not too heavy tho haha :)" type of guys

>You'll literally never have to fight anybody unless you live in the third world or act like a chimp
if you stay inside all day and never talk to people this is true.

even here in norway shit goes down all the time.

>>or live in the third world
Are you illiterate

Attached: 1535411755046.jpg (640x640, 55K)

Based vaccination truthpill poster

Maybe less shit would go down for you if you assimilated & finally learned arabic nordcuck

Nah m8. BJJ is pretty awesome for a 1v1 fight. Fights tend to go to the ground in a grappling scenario (unless one guy is good at wrestling). BJJ OR wrestling is an essential skill set for a good fighter but you need Muay Thai or boxing as well.

is judo any gud negros?

Attached: _GS_1588-1510416046-1510416046.jpg (780x1080, 50K)

What martial art is the best for having to fight off a group? I imagine boxing, because it's the one that closely maintains an upright form, has fast footwork/dodging, and can allow you to take out the closest person quickly and brutally to warn off the others. Am I wrong that returning to form quickly is the most important part of defending against near simultaneous attacks?

Yeah, Judo is good.
BJJ guys will almost always win against a judo guy however in a fight.
Judo is probably better for generic self-defence.

Basically, the rule is to learn one striking art: Boxing, Muay Thai (awesome), Savate
Learn one grappling art:
BJJ, Wrestling (awesome), Judo, Sambo.

Then you can be a great fighter.

nah the somalies stick to themselves, pakis make trouble, but we don't go to the same bars.
dont live in Oslo so we got no syrians here. other nords like to play up a fuss sometimes.

nord ~83% other european ~8.% other ~8.5%
so mostly you'll be fighting white dudes, here.

regardless, I'd like to dip my toe in boxing and start from there.
I need to work on the fundamentals