Robots, should I study CS/programming or another STEM subject? I'm not sure what to choose

Robots, should I study CS/programming or another STEM subject? I'm not sure what to choose.

Attached: 1518718112743.jpg (1213x1920, 1.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

akira.wikia.com/wiki/Tetsuo_Shima_(anime)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

wtf is that gay pic

fuck off

Kill yourself, underage little faggot.

go ask Jow Forums about cs/programming. they all say cs isn't worth the effort

Do you already know how to program?

lmao im probably older than you are

Why? I thought there were lots of jobs for it
I know the basics, like control flow and pointers.

If you only know the basics then you should do some research on other STEM majors and see if you like them, if not do cs. There are lots of jobs for programming and the money is high right now, but anything could change.

I'm not sure, I think most subjects could be interesting aside from civil eng, so I'm mainly thinking about demand on the job market.

If you want to make good money you don't need CS major but it helps. What your really need to do is start doing leetcode. Big companies like Google/Facebook ask really hard algorithmic questions that are not taught in school.

Programming/software engineering is typically more wanted and applicable in different scenarios than just a "computer science" degree. You can be in a simple job eventually, like web developement or SQL server stuff, you could do a lot more complicated languages, IT stuff, create your own things (like games and software), etc. Do you have any experience doing any of that on your own and does it interest you? If not, you might want to try making something first to see how you think of it, possibly even like a game in Unity or some random scripts.

Computer science is the sort of non-committal version of Computer Engineering or Software Engineering.

If you want street cred/you want to look smart, study math or theoretical computer science. If you want an easy job without putting much effort in (though mind you it'll be hopelessly boring) go with computer programming. Most other STEM subjects are a lot of effort for little employability or payoff

Getting a dev job without a degree is really hard in my country. I'm pretty good at algorithms though.
I have the choice between CS and a software engineering/IT oriented degree
>Do you have any experience doing any of that on your own and does it interest you?
I don't have much drive to work on a project of my own because there's nothing I want to build, but I've played around with a few languages and shell scripting and it was pretty cool.
If I do end up choosing software dev and IT as a career path I'm not sure what I'd rather do though. Apparently ML stuff is the most well-paid and uses Python which is cool, but it also seems much more competitive than, say, sysadmin

Computer science also involves studying theoretical computer science which is an entirely different ballgame than softeng. It's more like discrete math and pure logic and it's quite interesting. I'd say software engineering is just a small subset of cs

I'm probably not smart enough to get a degree in pure math.
>it'll be hopelessly boring
What's the difference between jobs you get with a programming degree and jobs you get with CS/math?

You seem like you have a decent grasp on it, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea in your case to pursue a degree. There are always tons of people who take programming classes with no idea what the fuck it is or any drive to anything on their own.

If you don't want to go through university without ever talking to a girl then don't do CS/Physics/Maths.

They are pretty much male only zones and the few girls there are in the class will be be surrounded by the top 10% of the men in the class.

I honestly couldn't give less of a shit, even if there were lots of girls in my major I still wouldn't talk to them anyway

This is mainly true if you only talk to people in the department. The entire time I was going for my degree, I only randomly talked to like 2 girls who were in a COBOL class with me, and it was mainly because a bunch of us would talk about that class.

If you want to talk to girls, you have to go clubs/organizations to meet and find them. I met my girlfriend at the anime club, which was like 50/50 split gender-wise at my uni.

>COBOL
why.jpg
Anyway my uni doesn't have a lot of young people anyway, there's a lot of professionals in the process of changing careers who go there. So I don't even think I'll meet guys my age either, but I don't mind. The lack of stress from being surrounded with girls will be relieving.

>why.jpg
It was a mandatory class for my variation of degree. I equally think it's pointless, seeing as the entire functionality we used it for is eclipsed by other, much simpler and newer languages

What was your specialization? I wonder why anyone would force you to learn COBOL unless you were gonna work on really old, specific systems in industry

Jokes on you with civil eng you will earn some real dough.

Yeah but it's kinda boring

Im structural engineer and I program some real finite elements for structures on Python and Matlab. If you're an engineer of any kind in 2018 and you cannot write some basic coding procedures you won't promote in any business.

>If you're an engineer of any kind in 2018 and you cannot write some basic coding procedures you won't promote in any business.
Yeah I never said the opposite

Anything IT related is good but fuck programming...Unless you enjoy being a slave.

if you ask that question, then you're not CS material.

you're pursuing CS to impress people

Attached: 1511565371263.jpg (399x400, 47K)

Doesn't it depend on your workplace
The only reason I'm pursuing anything is to have a comfortable life and high enough income. Fuck off with the retarded elitism.

>Fuck off with the retarded elitism.

If you really think about it, you're the elitist. You're pursing a difficult career purely for comfort (won't happen) and income (a distant pipe dream).

i'm just telling you to relax

>you're the elitist
>no u
Makes no sense
>won't happen
I'm supposed to take your word for it right?
>a distant pipe dream
>"earning a good living with an in-demand degree is literally impossible"
This is how fucking stupid you sound.

Akira...now that was real Japanimation.

Attached: 98584684.jpg (250x229, 9K)

>he doesn't know who naota is
kek, full doubt

the way you asked "should i pursue CS" is like a drug addict who could go 50/50. red flag #1

Also, your quest for comfort is ridiculously difficult and so unnecessary. A single male adult who makes 50k/year is basically living God-Mode. (if you say you want kids, then fuck off normo)

That's not Naota though, it's Tetsuo

>That's not Naota though

yeah it is

Attached: peope.jpg (780x438, 33K)

>the way you asked "should i pursue CS" is like a drug addict who could go 50/50. red flag #1
Stop projecting. You sound mentally ill
>50k/year
Yeah and I'm not gonna make that much by flipping burgers, cunt.

>he has an anorak so he must be naota
It's Tetsuo from Akira
This is Naota, from FLCL

Attached: 1519323404297.jpg (1845x1200, 357K)

pretty sure its that faggot ass kid from flcl that stupid underage kids avatarfag with to look cool, just like how people use to do with goku from dbz

kill yourself you cretinous faggot

>posts a picture of the same exact character as OP

user, i'm confused

Attached: question.jpg (686x576, 37K)

>user, i'm confused
That must be because you're extremely unintelligent, user

>Yeah and I'm not gonna make that much by flipping burgers, cunt.

it's adorable how your hierarchy of jobs is "flipping burgers" ---(ignore every job in the middle)----> "computer programmer"

Attached: your fucking with me right.png (657x527, 21K)

akira.wikia.com/wiki/Tetsuo_Shima_(anime)
It's him you fucking retards. Not the FLCL kid

>Yeah and I'm not gonna make that much
Yeah not with that attitude you stupid ugly fuck

Computer programming isn't that prestigious, dumbass. Since you're so knowledgeable about the job market though, surely you can elaborate about those middle-tier jobs you're referring to

>FLCL kid
>implying anyone who calls him "FLCL kid" knows what naota looks like

its naota...

Attached: mamimihuh.gif (500x375, 292K)

Learn to read you rancid whore

Google images "tetsuo anorak"
Can people really be this fucking dumb? Holy shit how do you even manage to breathe

dude thats tetsuo shima from akira. fuck off normalspawn.