Am i wrong here? i feel like i have the right idea of how respect works

am i wrong here? i feel like i have the right idea of how respect works...

Attached: 7755D64F-619E-415C-8C9E-EAA007377FEF.png (1242x2208, 1.07M)

Stupid semantics game

Rather than bother giving a serious response to a disrespectful piece of shit, I should just browbeat you for being a clueless normative jerk.
In short, go hang yourself.

You're too autistic for arguing, user

>i feel like i have the right idea of how respect works...
You do. "Respect" is just used interchangeably with "civility" far too often. Respect is earned, civility is just not being a braindead ass, nigging out in public.

You're being an edgy retard. Society only works if people have a base level of respect for each other. Being disrespectful, rude and an asshole to people who've never wronged you because they haven't 'earnt your respect' is narcissistic and retarded.

Respect comes in tiers. Baseline respect is given to everyone. Dependant on their behavior, go up or down the appropriate number of tiers.

this is exactly what i meant by my shittly worded everything

People who believe respect is earned tend to believe that they have earned respect. They then tend to feel entitled to it. Unseemly idea.

are we talking respek like in the hood? miss me with that shit

There are different ways to handle respect.
>positive way
You assume the best of everybody and respect them until they prove you wrong. If they lose respect there may be no way of getting it back.
>cynical way
You assume the worst and others have to gain your respect.
I try to be positive since many people react far better when you show them respect from the start, but sometimes there are people who try to use you, so I drop the respect to them pretty fast.

respek in a business perspective

If you're OP, then you're either lying or autistic, because thats exactly what your friend said, and you argued the opposite.

I agree. Respect is better understood in the context of the social contract. There are social rules for exchanging respect- if you break those rules you get no respek

You don't have to start off with respect for people but you are setting them and yourself up for failure if you don't. It's easier for a person to earn greater respect if you start them off with some.

I wouldn't show the people there respect, I would just not act like a retard. Know what I mean? Like when I hold the door for people right behind me or say thank you I'm doing it because if I didn't it would feel like fucking up on purpose. It's not for them it's for me. In case it isn't clear I agree with op.

we kinda just do that stuff to fit in

I just fake politeness and wait to see if it was worth it.

holy shit nice quads broski

150 IQ quads

Imo, respect works on two different levels.
First there's respecting someone as a human being. Which you outwardly show by not being rude and such. This should be your default for everyone, until they do something that makes you lose respect.
Secondly there's true respect, meaning that you truly value their opinions and feelings. That one is earned.

I do this and also fake being religious since I live in the southern US. It wins people over most of the time.

>your perception of respect is incorrect and retarded

Explain to yourself why it would ever be reasonable to say that to someone. It's fine to disagree or argue semantics but calling someone retarded for expressing a valid opinion is below shit tier conduct.
Yes you are wrong, and you clearly don't know shit about respect. Retard.

>tfw i unironically don't even know what "respect" means
Definition from google says
>a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Which means its something you feel not something you express. So who gives a shit about it? It's not like it effects anybody.

i think there should be a distinction between 'courtesy' and respect. respect sounds more like something you do actively versus an obligatory courtesy

there was tone to the conversation

>Y-YOU GOTTA EARN MY RESPECT BITCH
you're not as badass as you think you are, user.

i felt as if i kicked in a door and a bunch of explosions went off behind me. heart is now broken :(