/fast/ - #265 - no you cant eat that during fasting edition

FAQ
>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of snake juice fasting, dry fasting, OMAD, OMAW, AFD and IF (Why should I fast?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/studies
idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
Read all of these, they might answer some other questions you may want to ask.

See your doctor before fasting if you have any sort of chronic illness (type 1 diabetes, malnourished, underweight, pregnant, breastfeeding)

>How do I safely do an extended fast (approx. 4-5+ days)
New snake juice recipe here - youtube.com/watch?v=1onQ0nxgWFM

>2000mg of sodium (preferably Himalayan Pink Salt) max
>4700mg of saltless potassium max (NoSalt/LoSalt are high potassium-low sodium salts available in grocery stores or Amazon and the like)
Mix these in a liter of water and sip it throughout the day. The apple cider vinegar and lemon are optional but recommended for 10+ day fasts.
You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent fasting.

>Won’t I go into starvation mode?
No. It only occurs at extremely low body fat (4% or less).

>Can I workout?
Yes. But don't overdo it.

>Will (something with calories) break my fast?
Yes.

>Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
Black, unsweetened coffee and tea - YES!
Diet drinks and artificial sweeteners are debatable (continuously)

>Do I need a multivitamin?
No. Fat burning provides sufficient vitamins

PREVIOUSLY ON FAST

Attached: B0BBA5AE90C340C792DE49473D2EB1D0.gif (385x480, 1.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oSraUyVjrA0
militarytimes.com/2013/05/21/experts-tape-test-has-huge-margin-of-error/
thestrongkitchen.com/blog/post/how-many-calories-does-it-take-to-build-a-pound-of-muscle
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just thought I'd drop in to say thanks guys. I look normal now. Fasting is god tier cutting and OMAD is god tier maintenance

I'm noticing this too. I've also cured a bunch of food addictions, including soda and crave fruits and veggies now. It's fucking bizarre.

Attached: download_20180830_062435.jpg (620x525, 25K)

i miss grandpa omaw

Last night I finished a 5 day water fast. It gets easier the more you practice! I remember the first time I did a 72 hour fast. It was such a big deal for me. Constantly thought about food, did almost no work at my job. Now I breeze through it with minimal snake juice.

its time to stop

I'm on day 6 of a 30+ day water fast. my sense of smell is superhuman for some reason. anyone else experience this?

Attached: 1380751408639.jpg (1020x759, 74K)

What are your stats?

6'0
287 lbs

started fasting at about 300 lbs

Do I have to worry about kidney stones/kidney damage while doing omad and occasional 48 hour fasts? Not using snek juice

I fucking dream about avocados and cucumbers

>ADF
>fast day
>want to fucking eat
>won't

Attached: 70453961_p0_master1200.jpg (704x605, 397K)

that seals the deal

I'm thinking of just saying fuck it and starting a 40 day water and snake juice fast from September 1st onward.

and acquire some brain damage

Yes, and also gallstones

Damn, I can't fat adapt fast enough.
I have no time to adapt while the adaptation causes me weakness and disrupts my Mood.
I need to refeed on carbs every 4 days, really wanted the adaptation.
I really hate it.
At least i lowered it to 150g.

What can I do to prevent them?

You being serious? If so, please inform me

I've been keto for a solid two weeks now. Is it time to begin to fast?

Attached: 1532723260983.png (1015x1357, 1.1M)

youtube.com/watch?v=oSraUyVjrA0

Just watched the whole video, is the whole joke just that he sounds like a retard with his odd beliefs so you're implying that his fast caused brain damage? Do you have any real evidence bro? I'm taking this serious to the point of a faux pas because I don't want to let even the hint of a possibility of something like brain damage go amiss but seems like you're just trolling.

this taste in my mouth is about to make me puke

you don't have to do 40days, 1 week is okay and enjoy the process.

I took an user's advice for putting 4 tablespoons of lemon juice in my snake jizz. Definitely helped. Didn't make it taste any better or worse, but the bad aftertaste was gone.

>changing the subject

Answer the question.

fuck it, just do whatever you want.

This isn't /dbt/ you can't do "tfw no grom :(" here

Attached: 1535436172783.jpg (800x807, 340K)

Thanks for wasting my fucking time with your room temperature IQ bullshit

I've read about that your receptors are at self cleansing, godspeed.

do the 40day fast and not for long you'll become also a retarded vegan jesus

Fasting is still a meme. You don’t know better than Chad. Lift and eat a deficit.

go read up on the concept of evidence and the scientific method and then think for a while about what you've based your retard beliefs on

make a tripcode and ill see you in october 10.

>giving fucks to shills

user stop. Recently Cole's kicking out vegans from SD motivation group on fb. That should be the process w/ these people.

I honestly would be I'm too lazy to maintain a trip. I'll try and clock in with daily progress though.

I'm just dicking around, you're right though

>eat a deficit
Brainlet_wojak.JPEG

day 7. losing my resolve... must...order...Chinese..............must....gorge....

Attached: 1494000466862.jpg (598x687, 75K)

Wrap a long towel on your abdomen and make it really tight

Ok guys what the fuck

A few months ago I fasted myself all the way to 148 pounds at 5'9''. I was weak like a little girl--could only do 5 pushups until failure--and I was STILL a fatass. Then I quit, started bulking on OMAD, and now I'm not nearly as weak, and look leaner in the mirror despite being about 25 pounds heavier. My waist line's shrunk, too.

Thanks for making me skinnyfat, guys. I sure do love experiencing the worst aspects of being a twig and the worst aspects of being a lardass at the same time. Muscle sparing my fat ass lol.

b8

Does baking soda stop them?

>eat a deficit.
My BMR is about 1300 calories. One does not simply eat at a deficit at that miserable level. I'd rather eat every other day and get to eat actual meals than have to eat like a salad, an egg, and an apple as my daily reality for the rest of my life.
Am no longer hungry, got drunk on one shot of liquor (fasting BASED for cheap drunkenness) and I never eat while drinking.

Attached: 70443163_p0.jpg (800x1052, 468K)

How long did you fast, what were your beginning and end stats, what was the nature of your fast, and what kind of exercise did you do or not do during it?

pretty gud user, keep it up. I only notice i smell food more easily, but not necessarily other things.

Eating at a deficit will lower your BMR over time and cause more problems in the long run.

also inb4 stop drinking: I only drink room temperature, unmixed hard liquor, and two shots is enough to put me on the floor. Max drunkenness minimal calories. I don't touch beer and wine except like twice a year.

Drink some carbonated water, helps a great deal with hunger pangs. Add lemon if you like.

If you must break a fast, eat some meat, nothing else. Fatty cuts preferred.

Why is your BMR so low?

The wonderful disposition of being a small female.

Attached: 70446421_p0.png (768x1024, 342K)

ADF + meat :D

All right /fast/, I've got a three day weekend, get paid next Wednesday, have no money, have no food, and really want to get back to extended fasting since I've only been doing keto+OMAD since May and dropped out of these threads because of it. I'm at 6'2 211 and started at 325 back in November.

Think I can hit 206 by Wednesday?

I wish. Have you ever seen a 148 pound, 20% body fat, 5'9'' physique? Skeletal at the extremities and flabby at the midsection. It's ugly and bizzare.

My starting stats are based on recollection so please bear that in mind.

Started at around 175 pounds at 22% body fat. The fast was a 32 day snake juice fast with added calisthenics and cardio. There was a noticeable decrease in training performance and lean mass past the first week or so; chronic lethargy and low body temperature were also becoming worse over time. Ended at 148 pounds, 20% body fat.

It was muscle sparing you just probably didn't have any muscle to begin with.

yeah, fuck this fast. I'm buying pizza.

Never gonna make it.

Attached: 1511746248640.png (248x459, 174K)

Pizza's bomb. Fuck the keto cult freaks.

Does cum break a fast?

Attached: 70434240_p0.png (778x1100, 940K)

just ordered $35 worth of pizza and wings and a cookie brownie. fuck this. after 6 days I'm done with this pure torture.

Alright dude I'm not trying to be a /fast/ kike but pace yourself
I ate a whole medium pizza on a refeed about a week ago and ate a sandwich from the same place (Domino's mango habanero sandwich is bomb fuck you) the next day and I'm still not done shitting out that fucking pizza. I've taken 4 shits since then, none of them large enough to be even half that pizza. I shit earlier today actually, and I was looking at the turd and I could see how it was actually a turd that was so compressed that it was a longer turd pressed on itself if that makes sense.
Just saying... eat like 3 slices and a brownie and then take a fuckin break

If only DBDDNE skele bro was here to save this soul

yes, so do dicks.

Attached: dont-scream-32924238.png (500x505, 147K)

wish I could pace myself. I'm going to gorge and unfortunately I can't stop myself.

Yeah then get back on the wagon with OMAD or 20/4 at a caloric deficit. Long fasts are for fixing extreme hormonal imbalances, not fat loss. Also remember to eat plenty of good quality protein.

Also remember every time you eat a starchy food, a keto idiot dies in a car crash.

I'm coming up on 72 hours and feel fine. I haven't been taking any salt or potassium though. Am I going to die?

Wow, fucking incredible how bad those results are. I don't know what you tell you besides that not making any sense to me. How did you measure your body fat? Cardio might have been a mistake.

No, you'll be fine. If you are going for longer the electrolytes are recommended do you don't feel bad and get headaches etc.

At 175 with 22% body fat you can't have had much muscle to begin with. You lost nearly ten pounds of fat if those stats are accurate, a little less than a pound every three days.

Pizza is disgusting. I don't get fatasses, if I were gonna eat like 3k calories I'd at least eat something good. Like indian buffet.
Eat day tomorrow will be cod puttanesca, hold the pasta, side of baked non-breaded eggplant parm I made and froze the leftovers of the other week. Who /ck/ here?
>tfw know indian curry is only delicious because it uses an entire cow's worth of butter

Attached: 70448533_p0.png (800x724, 619K)

bring on the ghee!

Does ghee break a fast?

Attached: 70443163_p3.jpg (882x1251, 300K)

Navy tape measure test.

I checked my ketone strips regularly, too. They never got past medium levels. Keep in mind there was absolutely nothing going in my mouth except snake juice.

Though it is true that I wasn't very muscular to start with, who could honestly say those results were even close to worth the trouble?

How did you never get into deep ketosis? Also, quick google:
militarytimes.com/2013/05/21/experts-tape-test-has-huge-margin-of-error/

Seems like a tape measure test isn't the best way to evaluate body fat, even links that claimed it was accurate said that there was a plus or minus 2 percent error.

>who could honestly say those results were even close to worth the trouble?

They seem pretty not great, although ten pounds of fat off in a month in general is nothing to sneeze at compared to a regular diet. I agree that it's not worth the effort that fasting for 32 days would take. I'm wondering if cardio actually hurt you and encouraged muscle cannibilization and if you would have been better off just doing maintenance lifting to encourage retention of muscle, although I do think that at 32 days and over some muscle loss is certain.

Another consideration is that at 5'9, 175 pounds, and high bf% with low muscle means that your resting BMR probably wasn't very high to start with also.

Coming back to this again, these stats seem wonky to me in general. 27 pounds off and only around 10 was fat? There's no way you lost that much muscle. Even factoring in water weight, you must have lost more fat than you think.

I'm going to start a 50 hour dry fast tomorrow, and I intend to do some cycling, maybe 50 minutes, is it a good idea? I'm skinny fat right now so I want to get rid of the fat as soon as possible.

How I never got into deep ketosis is a mystery to me. My first guess would be a breakdown of spare amino acid stores (muscle) into glucose.

Body fat measurements in general are pretty finicky. I just use them as general reference. That I was so incredibly weak and not even close to lean at 148 lbs is enough for me to call it a wash. A lot of that fat would have to come back once it comes time to rebuild all that lost muscle.

Yes but I was doing both cardio and resistance training most days. My BMR certainly did take a hit, though, even beyond low levels of lean mass. I would get cold at temperatures below 80 degrees Fahrenheit among other things.

If I never reached deep ketosis, then where else would I have been getting calories except from muscle?

I confess. I fucked up today. I was on day 2 of a dry fast and I felt like absolute shit. Started drinking snake juice but it wasn't helping. Girlfriend took over and demanded I eat. She was trying to tempt me with the shit she knows I craved but shouldn't eat so I got fuckin white castle. Ate a bunch of burgers and onion rings, and now I feel bloated and disgustingly full. I am full of regret. Well tomorrow is a new day and I'll be fasting it out until I'm well below my next weight threshold so it's gonna be a long 6-7 days probably. But fuck it I'm going all the way.

Good work user, just remember that feeling of regret and think back on it next time you feel you want to break sooner than you'd like. That helps me out with the longer fasts

Oh I absolutely will. This feeling of bloat and regret is horrible. I was closing in on 48 hours, instead now I'm back to ground zero. I'm already down 50 lbs since starting this whole thing so I know it's working. It's just those hard days where you feel like shit and have to power through that I need to sort out. It's odd because the last month or so of fasting hasn't had anything like that. Similarly, my snake juice tastes completely different to me now. At first it was like taking a huge gulp of ocean water. Now, it's barely worse than plain old tap. I don't know what's going on if it's my taste buds adapting to it or if it's me fucking up the mixture. I doubt it. Who knows.

>Yes but I was doing both cardio and resistance training most days

Resistance training, or calisthenics? You said calisthenics earlier.

>If I never reached deep ketosis, then where else would I have been getting calories except from muscle?

The ketosis bit is the most baffling bit to me to be completely honest. I have no fucking clue how a person could go 32 days without eating and not enter deep ketosis. Really wish another user would chime in with some knowledge on this.

After doing some research, one pound of lean body mass comes to about 700 calories once burned off.

thestrongkitchen.com/blog/post/how-many-calories-does-it-take-to-build-a-pound-of-muscle

>In general, there are about 700 calories worth of energy in a pound of muscle tissue.

This is part of the reason why the body prefers to burn fat, and also why I doubt that muscle burning is the mechanism that primarily sustained you for 32 days. If we assume that all the weight you lost that wasn't fat (assuming the given calcuations for bf% are spot on) was muscle, then supposedly you burned 17 pounds of muscle. That's 11,900 calories, the equivalent of around 3.5 pounds of fat. And that's supposed to have carried the bulk of your energy needs, 3.5 pounds worth. People can lose a pound of fat every two days in a fasted state with general ease, just to highlight how ridiculously efficient your body would have to be to make that work.

In addition, even outside the math, it doesn't make any sense that you shed 17 fucking pounds of muscle. That is an absurd number.

Seeming like you lost signifigant LBM from a visual is expected because your body would have ripped all the glycogen out of your muscle tissue, but this isn't the same as losing actual muscle tissue.

To be honest I'm completely baffled here and your case makes no sense to me. What was your strength levels at a week after your fast in comparison to previous?

That's a good way to get hit by a car. You don't want to get dizzy from dehydration an inch from traffic.

Body weight resistance training, e.g. pushups and bench dips. The number of reps I was able to do until failure declined with every session, and the decline became more rapid as I continued through the fast. That's how I ultimately arrived at the dismal figure of failure at 5 pushups.

My strength a week after the fast hardly improved. Recovering that lost strength took much longer, and it took a concentrated effort to do so. My metabolism had slowed down to a crawl. The day before I broke the fast, I was walking up stairs with a cane.

then what about a stationary bike?

>Body weight resistance training
You shouldn't call it "resistance training" but w/e, that's a meaningless digression.

>The number of reps I was able to do until failure declined with every session, and the decline became more rapid as I continued through the fast.

Idk of pumping out as many as you can is a good way to retain muscle during the fast. I've always heard you should do relatively light weightlifting to encourage your body to preserve muscle, griding out a shitload of what amounts to endurance training possibly would have an opposite effect - I was reading some studies yesterday that were suggesting that cardio actually encourages your body to cannibalize muscle tissue

>My strength a week after the fast hardly improved. Recovering that lost strength took much longer, and it took a concentrated effort to do so.

How much strength did you lose, and how long did it take to fully recover?

>The day before I broke the fast, I was walking up stairs with a cane.

I will admit all this is absurd to me.

Well, unless you think a car is going to plow through your living room.

I mean, it might happen, who knows.

Before the fast, I could perform upwards of 20 pushups in a single set until failure. Compare that to 5, with a frame nearly 30 pounds lighter.

And I find it absurd, too. It's nonsensical on paper, but it was my real world experience. It's certainly discouraged me from going on any more long fasts.

I'm skinny at 5'10" at 144lbs and fasting does spare muscle. Just came off a 108hr fast yesterday and my lifts were unchanged, needed a little more rest time bet sets but weights and reps were all good. Broke my fast coz I was getting paranoid about the muscle and stuff since I fell all the way down to 138, but after my refeed I bounced right back up to 144. It's just the glycogen and water in the muscle that I lost. My lifts continue to progress. And the DOMs went away on their own even while I was fasting like magic.

Is your only measure of strength calisthenics, or do you actually lift weights? How many pushups you can rep out isn't the best indicator of strength. It's a better indicator of muscular endurance.

I'm pretty serious about doing this 40 day fast, so I'll keep checking in to the /fast/ thread with updates about it to see how much my experience matches or doesn't match yours. As a plus, if I break it then you can brutally shame me.

What's the best way to conserve muscle on a long fast? I was thinking of lifting four times a week but just doing 3 x 12 on major lifts and forgoing accessories entirely. Good idea or no?

Honestly lads, I feel fucking great considering I have fasted for 48 hours now. I'm pretty sore after my workout, but it feels so fucking good to never be starving and just being addicted to food. I've done a couple of three days fasts before mostly to just test the waters, but they haven't gone nearly as good as this one. I think I'm honestly gonna keep this shit up for the rest of my life. I was going for 3 days, but I might go even longer if I'm feeling alright. By the way, eggs, salad, and meat is totally fine for breaking an extended fast right?

thats what im about to do, thinking about what my final meal should be... i only have 2 hours left

Attached: a1086990962_10.jpg (709x715, 133K)

32 days, 27 lbs lost. Assumption: 10 lbs of fat and 17 lbs of muscle.
Calories in 10 lbs of fat: 35000
Calories in 17 lbs of muscle: 11900.
Note the ratio: 35000/11900 is about 2.94, which means a little over one third of the energy was from muscle and nearly two thirds from fat, based on these assumptions.
Total calories burned: 46900. 46900/32 is an energy expenditure of 1465.625 calories a day on average.

If the assumption is true, the body prioritized fat burning over muscle burning on a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio and your daily expenditure was believable but rather small. Mathematically these results are believable, maybe you're an unfortunate invididual who doesn't react to fasting well?

I also had this.

cum has sugars in it.

Tbh, I'm not quite sure. HGH released during fasting should protect muscle tissue, so I don't think I lost any. I didn't fast to lose weight, just did it as an experiment that I was willing to terminate at any point.

I guess it depends on what you're doing it for. If you fast too long, then you will sacrifice a bit of endurance, and depending on how long you've been lifting, that might affect your gains. I'm a noob so it wasn't that big of a risk for me.

In theory, breaking a fast with bone broth will really help the muscles rebuild since it's got a healthy amount of collagen.

Alright bois. Just giving an update.
Starting weight: 200.8
Current weight: 186.0
So far my fasting.
>56 hours wet with juice.
>horrible refed, bacon burger, fries, 2 sodas for lunch, tacobell for dinner.
>next day right back to fasting
>7 day fast, 168 hours
>refed on keto diet for 3 days. Guoda cheese sticks, sunflower seeds, keto salads from mod pizza, unwhiches from jimmy johns. many diet orange sodas
>Never dropped out of ketosis
>Back to fasting after 3 day keto binging.
>Currently at 57 hours wet fasting.
Shooting for another 7 day streak and hoping to hit sub 180.

Okay, I started the same weight (175lbs) way you did. I was determined to get skinny before I started lifting so here's that's what I did.

I didn't lift weights, and only did cardio in the beginning. Stopped doing cardio when I realized i could just fast longer instead of using cardio to get into ketosis. Treated it like a really aggressive cut with prolonged fasting periods of 3-4 days. Did that all the way down to 136 (pic related), and then started lifting (after months of doing nothing).

I do OMAD (feeding window wider during lifting days) and lift 3 times a week PPL with no cardio. Lifts have only been improving since. I measure my lean body mass and in the past 2-ish months I've made about 4lbs.

Just like the Bugez says about "specificity", pick one thing and do that. Which is more important to you at this point in time? Getting cut or getting big? I suggest getting cut, since you're almost there.

Attached: bathroom 2.jpg (1728x2592, 594K)