So, Jow Forums, are Dips safe or are they not?

So, Jow Forums, are Dips safe or are they not?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iMwJcmkD1i0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

theyre safe. i can do sets of dips with 65 lbs all day

Relevant video:
youtube.com/watch?v=iMwJcmkD1i0

Just because someone who weighs 65 lbs can do a movement doesnt mean its safe for everyone. Once you're a big guy it can hurt your shoulders/upper back

I'd say not. It's an exercise I've always tried to avoid because the movement just feels so unnatural and strenuous.

>do dips wrong
>tell people they are bad
>tell people shoulder rotation is what activates the pecs
what the actual fuck. just listen to jeff caveliere and do your dips, don't ever post this idiot here again

I unironically believe that dips are so controversial because dyel weak manlets have improper fucked up form and also get winded when they first try them. Confirmation bias from weak retards. If i hadnt made dips my favorite exercise my upper body would be half as developed

unironically they're a meme exactly as the bench press

it depends on your bone structure, see pic related
1 and 4 are ideal for less extra articular impingements from doing dips
If you can do them pain-free, hell do em all you want

Attached: acromion.jpg (624x316, 22K)

No.
Not at all.
Dips are a meme exercise pushed by twinks who think they're hot shit for strapping a 45lb weight onto a weight belt and doing dips.

They're a shit meme exercise that does nothing that far safer exercises can't do better.

Ahaha fuck off this is exactly what im talking about, turbo manlets get absolutely no benefit out of them. If youre an actual male with decent bodyweight, dips are the supreme beginner to intermediate push exercise

They are as long as you warm up your infraspinatus before doing them and don't go too far back with humerus if your acromion anatomy causes you pain.

Attached: 1507249974849.png (1063x1063, 245K)

I'm 6'3 and back when I weighed in at 300 I could do them with ease.
My fucking shoulders took a beating.
Even now that I'm 230 they're still painful.

I stand by what I said.

only people that complain about shoulder pain don't actually do them correctly

I think it's by far the most dangerous exercise you can do

There's little point in going very heavy with them except for an ego boost or injury.
Better to keep the reps relatively high and keep the heavy sets for compounds

I've hurt myself on deadlifts, squats, and pullups over 6 years. I've never had one issue doing dips 410 total weight

I use the machine assisted. I agree, dips are dangerous if done incorrectly. I have to use a machine because it hurts my shoulders.

Attached: iu-1.jpg (406x597, 40K)

I find that the tricep variation is safer than the chest one. My opinion is that they're great for beginners, and I wouldn't bother with weighted dips if you're more advanced. If you get to the point where you can do over 20 bodyweight reps you should move one to better exercises.

took my first trip to snap city in 7 years of lifting after ramping up sets of weighted dips again 2 weeks ago. A minor pec strain with a relatively load, less than I have already done. It was completely unexpected, no pain prior to that, just the sudden realization that I have no more power in my left pec after a previous easy set and some numbness. There's reports of people completely tearing their pec tendons (either with dips, or benching 4pl8+) that way. It's healed by now (will slowly work up mobility again and do Bill Starrs rehab regimen), but dips will probably not find their way into my programming again. Guess my body is not made for them.
I'm 6'6" btw

Once you get into beefcake territory it's probably better to do assisted dips than to load up more weight to a chain. The margin of error for correct form isn't that big and you can JUST your rotator cuff up.

Dips are the GOAT upper body exercise. Way better than bench. It's ok though, we all know this is a larp board and none of you actually lift. The sucking dick and taking poz load part is probably legit though.

dips are probably better for building mass in the chest than either bench or push-ups. However, I rarely do them weighted because I feel like they may be risky i.e. going heavy and accidentally going too low and tearing something in the shoulder

>ohp
>weighted pushups with shitton volume
try 6x10 with 25kg added on your back and see if >muh bench is really making you stronger
ring dips with lots of volume work as well

LMAO at people that wanna get big but do no more than 3 sets in any exercise

I've had bunch of injuries and aches since I started lifting, none from dips, they feel very natural to me. dipping 225 lbs on top of my 190 lbs for 8s, or in gym without mountain rope any willing male gym goer that can hold onto my back without choking me and thinks it's not too homo.

yes

They definitely don’t feel safe to me since I can’t even do a single dip at 1/1.5/2/3

Dips are great. You all can fuck off

Dude, there was a poll saying how more than 50% of Jow Forums can’t even bench 2 plate for more than 1 rep. Anybody who takes advice from this board is a fool

>taking advice from a nigger

I think i have type 4

I used to do dips at the end of my workouts twice a week. Kept increasing the weight until I got to 90-100 lbs added to bodyweight of 190 5RM. Around this time I started having shoulder pain though. And when I was doing the weighted dips, I was just feeling way too much pressure in my shoulders/clavicles and my sternum felt like it was going to snap.

So I eventually stopped. My bench and OHP actually started going up after I stopped, and that might not be a coincidence. Possibly I was overtraining/injuring myself with dips and it was negatively impacting my presses. That was a while ago, and I haven't felt shoulder pain ever since.

I'm sure I was probably doing something wrong and there might've been ways to prevent it from happening or something. But I really don't feel any need to reincorporate dips back into my routine

>going past 90° angle
but only retards do that

there isn't a single exercise in existence that is actually harmfull for you, some are better for certain porpuses tho, but depending on what you neglect on your training, every single exercise in existence can become harmful for you, normally people with joint issues, didn't train their movility at all, forced their body to do an exercise or move a weight they couldn't perform with and had unproper form, if you are a begginer i higly suggest to stop looking for advice on Jow Forums and research stuff yourself and don't neglect anything, because what you neglect its going to cause your injuries

get a load of this newfag thread
https:// startingstrength com/articles/stronger_press_starr.pdf

go to link and then ctrl+f: dips

Dips always make me feel joocy, I enjoy the test boost from them.

>Was doing dips often
>No problems but they were overtaking my bench relatively
>Stopped doing dips
>Started doing bench every day (heavy on bench days plus extra light reps, and light or close grip on OHP days)
>Started doing a few push-ups throughout the day
>Been two weeks doing this
>Mild pain in sternum after I stretch back and overhead, or press in certain ways
>Worried it's costo or something
Am I fucked?
Is it from the excessive bench?
Planning on taking a week or two off all presses and any triceps, shoulder or other work that puts any strain through pecs (maybe squats too if the stretch is too much will see how it feels) and also stretching pecs more and doing some Thoracic spine mobility work. And add back in dips.

i would like Jeff Cavalere's opinion on this, not some autists on /fit. Anyone got a link?

link yourself faggot

what the fuck, mine is like type 4 but the outside is higher than inside. Is my clavicle fucked up?

hours in MSPaint

Attached: amiretarded.jpg (182x316, 10K)

>Start doing dips
>Never experience shoulder pain
>Always get soreness in my sternum

What am I doing wrong?

>>Always get soreness in my sternum

The dip bars might be to wide

my gym has dip stations that double as upright leg raises and when i used those for dips i got a really sore sternum but my gym also has pic related and when i use them for dips i don't get sore at all

Attached: p-4961-Xtreme_Monkey_365_Power_Rack_Accessory_-_Dip_Bar_2.jpg (800x800, 36K)

>skelly
>do daily dips on a machine like pic related
>have increased from 120 lbs to 190-200 lbs over a number of months
>no shoulder or sternum pain

slowly but surely i guess, at least im getting some pectoral muscle

Attached: cache_4103481422[1].jpg (660x768, 95K)

Jeff said they're fine so they're fine by me

The machine is taking your gains.

>Benching 80 kg instead of 100 is taking your gains
You are supposed to start somewhere boyo

Wow I haven't heard of them being at all risky, but stopped doing them forever ago because they really bring a bit of uncomfortability at the least to that spot. Do not like.