Joining the army as an officer

20 year old UK student. I’ve always chinned off running because i thought it was absolute wank, but then I realised the army is absolutely barmy about that stuff. I can run 1.5 miles in about 13:30 (pass is 10:30, but I’m aiming for 9:00). I want to join REME or RLC but I’d like to get to a level of fitness that would allow me to get into 2/3 PARA (just to clarify, I do NOT want to fight, but id like to be the best I can be).

What sort of routine would be good for me?

Attached: AD303A1C-873D-4204-AD86-4E61F14D1CFD.jpg (1440x1472, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/how-to-run-correctly/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

plz don't tell me you're white. White men joining the military is a total con. White men also pay the most taxes and receive the least amount of benefits. Now you fight the wars too, for such little pay at that?

Officers get paid a decent amount desu cus. Also, 1st generation immigrant /:^)

If you just do the 1.5 run over and over, you will see very incremental gains. It is also debatably hard on your joints. Mix it up, do sprint walks, hiit calisthenics, bike, elliptical, rowing machine, etc. Your weakness on the run will almost always be metabolic, so train for that, but strength training will be invaluable as well.
t. Navyfag

Forgot to reply cos retard

RLC will bore the piss out of you and unlike REME won't give you real employability skills after you get back to civvie street. REME all the way, plus truck drivers are dull miserable gits.

Running is fine but honestly just work on tabbing. Fill a makeshift bergen til it's fuckoff heavy, pick a part of the country and get marching. Don't stop because you're tired or hungry or your feet hurt or you miss your mum or whatever, you're gonna have to learn to ignore all that. Literally just think 'Im going to march for four hours' and do that. To make things more realistic pop some sweeties in your pocket. You'll get a ton of those in your ratpacks, cunts get everywhere.

>Officers get paid a decent amount
Lmao, my mate is an assistant manager at Aldi and he earns more than me.

That’s the thing. Running is just completely alien to me. I ran for the first time in about 5 years a few weeks ago, and my friend told me the way I ran was completely shonky. Like I was overthinking it and making it way too difficult for myself. What’s the best way for a complete newbie to get into running? Other forms of cardio aren’t too bad (my strongest probably being swimming).

>best way for a newbie to get into running

One foot in front of the other fuckface. How fucking complicated is this?

>What sort of routine would be good for me?
foreskin snaps

40k a year after four years isn’t too bad considering most of the things you’ll need will be mostly if not completely subsidised. A starting job with my degree will earn me about 25k a year so I’m not too pleased with that either (Masters in Chemistry).

Yeah man desu I probably won’t join RLC. When I was younger I wanted to go into the RLC because I wanted to do bomb disposal but they told me to piss off after they found out I’m colourblind.

I’ll probably go into RMP or REME.

Well, for one, know the difference between sprinting, running, and jogging.
In a sprint, your contact with the ground will be almost completely with the toe, running mostly toe, and jogging will strike with the heel. Avoid jogging, most people can power-walk only a bit slower than they jog.
Second thing to understand is loose, flailing and dramatic motion is inefficient, keep your core and arm motion tight but don't clinch up. Keep you breathing in cycle with your stride. (whatever cycle works, but it helps remind you to breath more at increased pace. Also avoid inhaling too deeply, and make sure you are exhaling completely, you should literally blow out on the exhale to make room for fresh air.
Try experimenting with your lean while running. Lean forward a certain amount, and keep your pace fast enough that you don't fall on your face. Use this as your method of controlling speed, rather than just moving your legs faster.

Thanks for the tips! Running definitely felt a tad easier after I started connecting toe first. I’ve never really thought about breathing in cycle but it defo makes sense

Only bomb disposal guy I knew was REME tbhonest. But yeah, good fucking luck getting that job with colour blindness kek

Could always go int corps if you like looking at maps and acting annoyingly furtive.

Also I’m extremely short (5’4”) so I’m assuming my lean should be considerably sharper than that of an average person.

alan thrall has a vid for this exact question (on youtube) check it out

Attached: training.png (1389x681, 966K)

Not necessarily, the greater your lean, the more of your power is going into forward momentum. It is a training tool we use on recruits to remind them that the goal of the exercise is to go forward, not just bounce up and down.

Ah man I love Alan. Only issue is my pos uni doesn’t have a track so doing the distance based stuff is dodgy. Tried it out at my local track and it was great tho.

Nah dude I’m a complete mess with maps (perfect subbie material imo).

Ah fairs. I’ll experiment. When I run i usually try to keep as straight as possible so that could be the root of my problems lmao.

well there's always ways and means, but best of luck to you anyway lad

Don't datamine here

Attached: 1535733518374.png (851x324, 120K)

Doesn't that just mean it was saved on a phone?

I’m currently using plotaroute to design my 1.5 mile runs, so I can pull off some tech wizardry to do it. Thanks again, man.

That would explain your friends reaction, the only time I see people "run" upright is during cadence formation jogs. Lots of people associate that with military running, but there is very little forward momentum and you would never do that in a timed run.

Also, what’s your rank and what are you doing if you don’t mind me asking?

Yeah leaning defo doesn’t feel natural but I’ll incorporate it into my future runs.

Amerimutt here, sometimes I forget that you Bongs are actual people. This whole thread is absolutely amazing listening to y'all trying to be like your heroes, us American soldiers. That being said, I actually have Bong citizenship and was thinking about possibly joining the British Army, but godamn, I don't think I'll be able to understand y'all at all.

Yup, good luck!
On the lean, just don't bend at the waste.
A decent guide to running:
nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/how-to-run-correctly/

First thing squaddies do when sharing a base with yanks is to nick as much kit as possible kek. Been that way forever, everything's always over budget with you lot. Some of your scran isn't too bad either.

I fucking believe it, nowadays it's hard to tell the difference between Brits and Afghans. Damn sand people always stealing shit.

>Officers fighting anything

Attached: 2342.jpg (400x400, 32K)