Is depression real?

Is depression real?

Attached: 1456598722534.jpg (2000x1000, 643K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lnr97uGmIc8
youtube.com/watch?v=Sjv-oVuOEeA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maybe, but it's often used as an excuse not to improve.

No. Depression is not real...

Attached: 1525925430537.jpg (1080x1350, 1.47M)

Maybe but there are things you can do to improve the chemical imbalances in your brain. Such as exercising and sleeping well.

how do I know if I'm depressed ?
have any of you guys ever been depressed without knowing ?

Attached: images (13).jpg (330x446, 14K)

thats a beautiful picture

guys i'm so depressed. me and my gf couldn't go on the water slide today!!

Attached: dp-pictures-slide-the-city-20150620-001.jpg (1350x759, 204K)

It is real, and I personally don't believe it's fixable. Not with drugs, and not with willpower. It simply happens to a person and you have to wait it out until it goes away. Everyone who says that starting to exercise again or socializing helped them doesn't realize that they were already improving to such a degree that they were able to motivate themselves to do those things. It's all placebo, they just got better on their own a little bit and so decided to exercise.
However, I do believe it's completely overblown in recent society. If you can get to work on time every day while depressed, you're not as bad as you say, you're just wallowing for most of the time.

Yes

If you have it, you'll know it (that is, if you know what depression is in the first place)

You have no idea what you're talking about

It only exists to sell population controlling meds

There are many questionnaires online you can do and get a half decent evaluation of whether or not you're depressed.
I've been depressed for many years but I never thought about it until it got to the point where I couldn't work and study anymore because I was tired all the time and my sleep quality was so bad that I never felt sufficiently rested. I also had terrible anxiety symptoms like numbness in the limbs, blurry vision, nausea, fatigue. I got prescribed benzodiazepines and they completely removed all the symptoms so I could actually leave the house and feel like a person but I knew that it wasn't a viable long term solution. Doctor recommended that I should go out and walk for at least 1 hour every day. So I did that and after a few weeks I felt good enough that I could go to the store without taking benzos. Then I started exercising more intensely at home and eliminated shitty food from my diet and now - about 3 years later - I am happy to say that I don't have depression or anxiety at all.

Depends largely on the structure of the brain. But also depends largely on environmental factors and experiences.

The problem with many depressed people is that a symptom is hopelessness, and that hopelessness always interferes with their ability to believe that they are capable of influencing the environmental side of things to a great extent. Many people identify as a depressed person and it leads them to believe that it's not beatable. These people, guys in particular it seems, often attribute their depressed state of mind to genetics/unalterable factors, which is not an objective way of viewing things.

Ask my brain. It's over there against the wall

This sounds believable. I've been depressed for years and this year has gotten far worse. Had a small period where I was good enough to leave the house and run, few weeks later and I was back to laying in bed not eating

Feelsbadman because I truly thought the running had fixed me

On to my 4th med now and still no dice

>tfw no Amazonian bike queen gf

Yes, it’s real and only becoming a bigger issue. However, pharmaceutical intervention is not always the best method of treatment.

This. You think cave men got depressed? Of course not.

For me depression comes and goes in ways. Idk if it's different things happening that affect it. But the worst thing is I lose all will to workout and better myself. Ironically working out makes me feel a lot better.

>bullies depressed people in order to feel significant
>"look depression isn't real, I'm just bullying you"

Proud of you bro.

The depression is a mask for who is afflicting you with it.
Read Picture related.

youtube.com/watch?v=lnr97uGmIc8
How Demons Can Cause Negative Thinking

youtube.com/watch?v=Sjv-oVuOEeA
How to be delivered from Demons and Demonic Oppression - Derek Prince

Attached: This helped many people.png (659x1227, 1.63M)

They probably did. Emperor Nero was "a deeply unhappy man" according to some contemporary person I forgot the name of.

as a med student his thread triggers me

Medically sick my dick, faggot.

Yes, it is very real. The only way I can keep the black dog away is to stay busy. If I so much as decide to take a day off by myself with nothing planned, I suffer tremendously.

Working 50hours a week with a strict regime for fitness and ensuring I have something to do to fill in any gaps has been the only salvation out of my depressed hole. I used to spend days/weeks at a time in bed, chain smoking and contemplating suicide. It's very real, and so difficult to explain.

Everyone thinks I'm a high powered individual who has his shit together, looks healthy and has a good career. When in fact I do it all to distract myself from my crippling depression.

You can't really compare a pre civilization cave man to Nero just because he lived a long time ago. I think a constant struggle to survive gives life more meaning and you also wouldn't sit around and think about existence because you have shit to do.

Idk. The theory of a chemical imbalance in the brain is mostly disproved. From my personal experience with depression, I would say its caused by either focusing on things that aren't important ( the inevitability of death, the reasons we are alive, the cause of life etc) or by failing to identify things that need to be dealt with. The latter can be expanded on. One of the reasons people fail to recognize the things that are wrong with their lives is that, from a young age, they've ignored their instincts. Eventually, you lose those instincts, and don't even realize why you're depressed.

As a resident, I should be asleep right now because I'm covering the ICU tonight. And I want to kill myself.

stfu medfag, med students know nothing, and in 5 years ur knowledge will be worthless, i know more about depression than u. depression doesnt even exist

The point I was arguing against was the tinfoil hat argument about mental illness being made up to control people.

You made it

thanks for the videos, will listen soon, very interesting to me. I actually felt better after saying the prayer in your pic

>Idk. The theory of a chemical imbalance in the brain is mostly disproved

Except for the whole serotonin thing.

>EMPEROR Nero
>Caveman

Dont know why im replying to bait but oh well.

For me personally i just get depressed when i dont have shit to do. If i don’t have much to do i end up doing nothing. In times where im incredibly busy i manage to get most or all of it done and not be depressed

Attached: 20F2ABC8-9D31-4ACE-A057-10D53A9622C3.jpg (381x353, 30K)

ur not handling it correctly. How many minutes a day do you dedicate to God, prayer, and meditation?

It is. I'm going through my second wave of depression right now, it's a hole I can't seem to get out of and I feel as though University has made it worse for me.

Attached: 1531533514474.jpg (1280x720, 109K)

Depression being linked to neurotransmitter imbalance is disproved. There is no link between neurotransmitter levels and depression. There are anti-depressants which decrease serotonin levels and seem to work on people, and the normal ones which increase serotonin levels. Its not linked at all.

Cite source?

Ok, you really want to know?

All of my life everything that I did or experienced, even what I know should objectively be seen as happy, cheerful, exciting, enjoyable, whatever the case, has always been muted. All emotion is subdued under the blaring noise of unfathomable and even worse unjustified and inescapable sadness. Even when I was young I realized this would never work out well for me, so I decided to check out when I was in fifth grade. However I was young so I was naive and less capable. I had trouble getting the rope over the tree branch I decided to use, so I asked my dad for help. He helped get the rope over the tree branch but I had to do everything else. And I got everything set up, and kicked over the chair. It was the first time I was ever really happy, knowing that I was going to be free from this hell. Well naturally he betrayed me and took me down maybe a minute after I lost consciousness. From the situation I ended up chipping my tooth and biting a small piece out of my tongue. It's also likely that I suffered some form of brain damage and possibly other damage to my neurological system. I don't actually know, I never went to the doctor about it. About half a year later my mother found out and she forced me to see a therapist, despite me telling her how pointless it would be and that I wouldn't cooperate. It was only after two or three sessions the therapist knew exactly that (as I was openly non-cooperative) and told her there would be no point in continuing. There wouldn't be a point anyway. It's not a behavioral problem or a temporary thing. I knew that there was something wrong with my brain, which can't be cured by talking about it. Because I wasn't some emo little piece of shit, I was actually fucked up. It got dropped and eventually forgotten by the family and was never ever discussed ever.

1/2

It's not that I don't have friends. I have had these friends since I was maybe five, and we're still friends today. It's just an ever-lasting dullness to everything. I've won competitions, I've gotten top grades on performances, I've had lots of fun. But everything... EVERYTHING is muted. I don't get any joy from winning, I can only recognize rationally the value of being a winner. I can't smile from nice sweet things, even if I know it should be nice. I have learned to handle some form of mimicry in order to pretend among the humans, but I'm just a machine. This is why I've never allowed myself to even try entering into relationships. And I don't really have the motivation for it either.

Also, it's not that I don't have any emotions whatsoever, or that I don't understand emotions. They're just drowned out. Imagine rose-tinted glasses. You can still see the color in everything and recognize that color is there and even what the color SHOULD look like without the glasses, but they're all washed out and filtered by the rose. Well depression is like wearing sad-tinted glasses. You can tell that kissing a pretty girl you like should make you happy and even try your hardest to feel something, anything. But nothing besides sadness remains. Life is dull and flat and meaningless. You can recognize that winning or being the best at something is an accomplishment and should be respected, but you will never feel that sense of pride. You will just know that you're still sad and why would it even matter that you do well if you just stay sad?

Sure it has. I get depressive episodes. Like nothing changes and everything feels so fucking heavy all of the sudden. They stay a couple of weeks and without changing anything they go away again.

>disproved
That's not how science works, especially science studying something as complicated as the human brain.

Lifting has helped improve things. It doesn't remove the sadness or decrease it in ANY way, but I do feel physically better, and that's of value.

>prehistoric boomer studies show depression caused by chemical imbalance
>recent studies show depression is not correlated with chemical imbalance
>this is not "disproved" according to anonymous on a taiwanese cartoon site

If you feel like shit, not have a clear mind, not having energy for anything or motivation for anything for a prolonged time. If you keep getting dark thoughts like you want to end yourself, or "why even try", if you cant get out of bed to see the day, if you don't feel happiness even though you achieve things that you know should make you happy. Etc. You're pretty much depressed i reckon.

I'm not depressed, but i did have a time where i felt like complete shit for like a whole year, after half year in, grabbed the bottle and weed, and it only got worse. Used antidepressents. Got off them, and started working out instead because the antidepressents made me feel like i was just being a little bitch and the best way for me to regain energy to do stuff, was to lose weight and train again first, then see from there. I still smoke weed sometimes on the weekends, but not near as much and still have some days where i feel like shit, but with training i feel good days as well nowadays, so i know i'm not depressed.

Yes, it is real.
Before I got severe reactive depression due to chronic stress, a bit too much exercise and toxic gf I could not comprehend what a real depression is and how could someone not enjoy life. I just thought it was extreme sadness and depressed people are just sadcunts.

But once I got it I can say it is totally not just extreme sadness, it is something completely different. Every aspect of your life is impacted; insomnia, indigestion, exercise intolerance, cognition, extreme fatigue but you still can sleep, constant muscle tension.

No but some people are faggots

>prehistoric boomers actually conducted studies on people who were depressed
>recent studies only use self-diagnosed crybaby Jow Forumsme_irl "ha ha I'm so depressed" aimless millennial manchildren who have nothing wrong with them other than the lack of a positive masculine rolemodel, a söy-based diet
>wonder why the chemical indicators for depression went away

Attached: 1529832987512.jpg (282x341, 19K)

1% might have genuine genetic based depression. The remaining 99% just have unbalanced hormones due to an unhealthy lifestyle (stress, sleep, nutrition, exercise etc.)

Yes and that is one of the reasons why I know that depression is real. I didn't think of myself as depressed, because I knew I didn't have any "reason" to be depressed. I had a good life, no significant problems or worries, was in a loving relationship, everything was fine - and yet I experienced most of the symptoms of depression. Many people who think depression isn't real just oversimplify it and believe it's just someone complaining about their "hardships" in life or that they are seeking attention, but I didn't have anything to complain about. At some point my uncle noticed the symptoms and once I acknowledged that it's indeed depression I made changes in my life that ultimately helped me overcome it and especially the physical symptoms were reduced a lot.

Depression is one of many fake "mental disorders" invented by (((psychologists))) to keep the white man down. These types of disorders also include "high-functioning" autism, PTSD, ADD/ADHD, and social anxiety disorder.

>your dad helped you try to hang yourself as a kid
ill take "things that never happened" for 500

"no"

He was never going to let me finish the job. He was planning to betray me from the start. I should never have involved him, but I was a young kid and trusted him.

You don't have to believe it, and you wouldn't be wrong to be skeptical, nor do I blame you for your skepticism. But it's the truth.

People actually believe this shit

>PTSD is fake
yeah its totally fake i totally dont experience nightmarish anxiety behind the wheel of a car all the time from all the bad wrecks i've been in as a kid. totally.

Attached: 1456077485001.jpg (333x333, 31K)

I never really understood depression.

Like i mostly just feel neutral most of the time, sometimes i have days where i get bad thoughts and feel hopeless but the idea that theres this 'weight' of depression that follows you around day to day where you go to bed depressed, wake up and the first thought you have is depressed ideas seems strange to me.

People's moods fluctuate on a minute-minute basis, i dont get it.

I also hate the 'HURR ITS DEFINENTLY REAL ITS LITERALLY A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE IN YOUR BRAIN BRO' argument. Yeah no shit you fucking retard, it doesnt mean that its therefore a permanent state or something that cant be changed. Your 'brain chemicals' fluctuate on a minute to minute basis this is such a fucking retarded argument.
Also it pisses me off when roasties use 'depression' as a badge of honour and announce on social media how they are depressed and how hard it is for them and then go out clubbing on the weekend.

Attached: 1512423665111.jpg (1024x683, 38K)

Depression is just weak people being weak. They give it a gay name because it makes them feel better about their impotence.

There are actually a good handful of people who think that PTSD is fake and it baffles me.

It's just being a low test pussy

>One of the reasons people fail to recognize the things that are wrong with their lives is that, from a young age, they've ignored their instincts. Eventually, you lose those instincts, and don't even realize why you're depressed.

Totally this. I started to go against my instincts and that fucked me up big time.

No. The depressed need boot camp. Literally nothing that three squares, rigorous physical training, /nodrug/, and 8 regular hours of sleep can't fix.