Into reading and well read

>into reading and well read
>meet a girl who claims to be super into reading
>ask her what she reads
>all fiction books, GoT, flavor of the month crap

this literally always happens. Women, why don't you actually read some philosophy. Oh, I know the answer

>user that's so boring and makes me sad!!!

>when you have a largely defining quality that unironically makes you too smart for a gf
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1531358279811.jpg (1200x960, 159K)

unironically reading philosophy

Attached: 1518102740418.jpg (690x720, 77K)

I will never understand what 4chand obsession with philosophy is. You see it a lot on lit. They thump these names down as if they carry all the weight of the world and claim anything else is trash. Admittedly, philosophy is pretty great. Theres a lot of unique ideas there, but claiming that fiction is trash? Flannery O'Connor may not have the explicit nature of philosophy but to say its devoid of thought just proves that you're an idiot who cant analyze anything. Or that philosophy could eclipse the raw emotion of poetry? Literature is a vast field of work, and claiming a small subset is the only valuable part is like closing yourself in a room and claiming you can see all the world.

>philosophy
>boring

Attached: 768768.jpg (400x400, 119K)

>reads GoT

>but claiming that fiction is trash?
/lit/ hates genre/pop fiction, not fiction in general

Attached: 1365475090228.jpg (747x1417, 418K)

>All Quiet On The Western Front isn't on the list
>Catch-22 is
vomit
Never understood the appeal of catch 22. Interesting premise, but everything apart from it was so agonizingly boring.

I see op is a man of culture as well.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (384x384, 24K)

>wahh why do women like books that have interesting stories instead of ones where douchebags shit out endless justifications for why they're douchebags

Holy shit, this was totally written by a woman.

>Why should I have to contemplate the world and the truths of reality when I can just distract myself?

Literally a meme gender.

Do you think reading philosophy makes you smart or something

>high school core
lmao senpai

I'm a guy and I don't read philosophy either. Last guy I saw reading philosophy was some obnoxious cunt who diverted every conversation into DUDE STIRNER
fuck off.

It's not our fault you're around 19 year olds.

what's the answer though?

>machiavelli
Literally the first raging, salty faggot ever.
Writes a book that can be summarized as '' LMAO KILL MEDICI NIGGERS WRYYYYY''

This.
But to be honest, you have to be a bit into it to not want to stop reading.

stop looking for girls with 'cool hobbies' because they don't fucking exist. as long as she isn't a bitch who gives a shit what her fucking dumb hobbies are

they're both good honestly
catch-22 was hilarious at points

philosophy is for boring ugly people that want to feel special

>claims to read philosophy
>probably all he's read was the greeks and pop philosophers like nietzsche or camus

Attached: 1534240593324.png (226x223, 6K)

>Siddartha
Really? I read this and its just a pretentious piece of shit telling you to just find balance and inner peace and follow your dreams lmaoooooo.
The book no lie seems like it was written by an unironic stoner.

that book seriously was the most basic bitch of a book i have ever read, totally fucking stupid.

>having a superiority complex derived from your choice of literature
>being a viable mate/interesting person
Pick 1 user

Did I really need any more evidence this board is full of brainlets?

Attached: 1530688485696.jpg (546x545, 29K)

siddhartha is a book for retarded hippies

okay but what are some of your "favorite" (or most memorable) reads? just wondering.

also, you might consider that "reading" is pretty general, and if you're seeking people who are into the same level/type of reading that you are, you might consider being more specific.

>philosophy

Have you actually read a philosophy book? They're either boring, take entire chapters to say something that could have summed up with a paragraph, or just WRONG. Complete waste of time. The questions they pose are important and interesting, but the way they go about discussing them is completely dry and makes me want to kill myself.

Most girls claim they love reading and even go to such lengths as to mock people who don't read and say non-readers are stupid.

And when you ask them what kind of literature they like... Well it's always some pleb shit.

In fact it's the same with literally everything women do. A girl says she's into music? She means listening to the radio or whatever is the flavor of the month artist right now. Travelling? Same shit. Movies? Same shit.

>how OP sees himself

>what he's actually like

Attached: 5eb.jpg (480x600, 21K)

>pretentious piece of shit
You just described everything /lit/ likes.

Daily reminder that ethics is the best and most interesting branch of philosophy.

Attached: 4trt.png (624x434, 103K)

Jow Forums is addictive to obsessive learners. People who wether they want to admit it or not pursue wisdom over everything else.

Philosophy is the same shit.

>Everyone I disagree with is brainlet: The durr-durr's guide to argumentative success through ad-hominem

>ethics is the best and most interesting branch of philosophy
>ethics
what a weird name for philosophy of language

>philosophy
I bet you're insufferable and severely lacking in original thought. Philosophy draws tryhard intellectuals because unlike the sciences crafts and trades it is easy to pretend to be smart. Why dont you learn to make furniture or keep up with the latest developments in rocketry or something.

Ethics/morality is complete bull. Epistemology, logic and metaphysics that overlaps with modern science is unironically the the most enjoyable part of philosophy.

>the great cucksby
holy shit he had all the money a man could want in the prohibition era, why couldn't he just get a different gf rather than chase that gold-digging roastie?

Attached: disgusted black guy.png (297x239, 136K)

can you please namedrop somebody you'd recommend checking out
asking for a brainlet friend

Jordan B. Peterson, 12 Rules for Life

Bumping for great digits.

ohyou.bmp

i read philosophy for years and I could probably school you in it but guess what it's ALL fucking WORTHLESS and BORING

i'm more of an analytic philosophy guy myself, so i can't really recommend anything of the continental (aka bullshit about life) variety if that's what you want

>expecting women to be anything more then giant children
Thats your own fault

>i love reading
>what do you read
>young adult fiction books

>I love video games
>what do you play
>fortnight and lol

>I love movies
>what do you watch
>everything thats in theaters now

Women are the ultimate normie. Get to know any guy and 80% of the time there will be at least one thing he has an extremely deep knowledge of. It could be sports and shooting. It could be anime and vidya. Women never ever have anything like this.

>wanting to seem smart
why do these bugpeople think the only reason someone can be into philosophy or the arts is to look smart? hasn't it crossed their minds that some people are genuinly interested in these things?

why the fuck should he care about the latest developments of rocketry lol

You don't really control with respect to whom you fall in love with.
He sees her first at the ball which is held for army officers. He falls for her but he avoids direct contact because he wouldn't want to give her the impression that he's only a footsoldier. He undergoes all kinds of hardships/lying/cheating to become a man worthy of her.
Gatsby could have had any woman but then that woman wouldn't be that one girl he fell in love with. It'd be a cope. What fucked him up though was that the girl kept giving mixed signals and turned against him when she found out about Gats' past, discrediting all the things he had done for her all this time. Shame that she turned out to be another judgemental, shallow gold digger.
The ending is too tragic. You'd predict his crooked friends to rob him towards the end but even the girl he devotes all his life to takes off just like that.
Who are you today? Rice or indigo?

ricebot just stole my trip lol
dont b a dumbass
im indigo.

I'm sure the only philosophy you know anything about is hedonism, you incessantly annoying self-righteous tripfag cunt-burger.

Attached: image.jpg (320x320, 30K)

I thought this was open knowledge

i cant hear you over the sound of your pseudo-intellectual tears lmao

It said, while attempting to garner the attention of desperate robots via a trip code on a site whose main gimmick is anonymity.
Brainlet
R
A
I
N
L
E
T

>obsessive learners
>Jow Forums
Yeah I thought this way too until I realized that Jow Forums is a vacuum of poorly cited resources and confirmation bias.

>I read philosophy im so smert

B R A I N L E T
R A I N L E T B
A I N L E T B R
I N L E T B R A
N L E T B R A I
L E T B R A I N
E T B R A I N L
T B R A I N L E
B R A I N L E T

Hedonism is great though. I don't see anything wrong with it.
>every man for himself.

Attached: 268x0w.jpg (268x245, 41K)

Why are people who read philosophy always so pretentious

Attached: 1482571645811.jpg (453x439, 85K)

An entire post reliant upon a baseless and incorrect projection.
Guess it just confirms that most tripfags are drop-dead retarded. No wonder they're always vacuous attention whores...
>yep, this one's going in my cringe filter

Attached: image.png (613x384, 192K)

I take it the philosophy you read doesn't cover how not to be an insufferable snob towards people.

Yeah its overflowing with brainlets, that is why most of them are incapable of improving there lives and instead wallow in a retarded cesspool together reinforcing one an-others ignorance. "Hippie" & "Pretentious" are the most common derision's levied against works concerning eastern spirituality and mysticism by philistines.

Attached: 1514844777400.jpg (663x850, 109K)

It was a tongue in cheek way of saying that tripfags add nothing to discussions and only attempt to suck up attention. I don't have any problems with hedonism outside of some of the mongoloids who follow its tenants.

>spirituality and mysticism

Attached: giphy (1).gif (186x266, 373K)

It's the same for any hobby, ask a woman what she likes and it will always be some entry level shit she played,watched or read because it was popular.

>Analytic philosophy

That must explain the chimping out.

I don't get why everyone thinks I'm pretentious or highhanded, not here but irl. I'm only a bit more vain and self-destructive than average.
>I'm just here for the violence.

Attached: clockwork orange alex.jpg (335x439, 16K)

This but for the entire thread as well.

bhagavad gita
the secret doctrine
initiation into hermetics
prometheus rising
book of the subgenius & rev x
portable jung
qliphoth, qabbalah & goetic magic
kjv
hindu yogi science of breath

nigger nigger nigger cum cum cum

Attached: 9b62ced38fb45852a998387001605ca1c9063a5bbce84023ffee5149e6c0bbc8.png (1600x1030, 1.38M)

>old dead guys pontificating about issues that generally can't be quantified
>intelligent

>girl thinks you're being mean when you just disagree with her

Attached: 1532630270941.png (2000x1921, 635K)

I think girls who are really into literature and philosophy are rare but they do exist. I've met two and I don't really meet many people. One was an ugly short hispanic girl and the other was just average looking, studying some law degree. They were both in the same university in my country. I only had a conversation with the hispanic girl and she knew quite a lot about literature. She was not surface level like the people who claim they are readers, the way you described it OP. She was an interesting person to talk to. I also recently had a discussion with my older teacher and she had some interesting things to say about heuristics and a book I should try reading. That's somewhat my experience with women that are interested in literature.

I don't know OP. I think you need to get out more but we are robots. There's a reason why we are on this board.

Yeah man. Women are used to attention, compliments and special treatment. You can easily see why women cannot handle friendly banter and difference of opinion which is common among men.
Go away nigger. I don't understand why the Western world is so much into new age mysticism and spiritual cow manure.

I knew one. The rarest of her kind.
Real world experience is invaluable.
Street smart > bookish.
Brain > brawn.

>met a girl who is into philosophy
>she has no job and can't stop talking about how we need to overthrow the government and start a communist revolution as soon as possible

Attached: 1.gif (500x372, 112K)

Sounds like a dream my man. Lemme know if you find a way to undermine centralised banking.

>tfw know a girl who has pure hatred for communism but she doesn't want to talk to me because i made a hitler joke

>has no job
>is most likely lazy
>talks about communism

See: .

The hard truth is that most people in the Western world don't like reading--that goes for men, and it goes for women, too. Many of my friends are graduate and medical students. I doubt any of them have cracked open a book they weren't required to read in years.

However, quite a few of the girls I've dated have been into books. I've been seeing a chick for the past month who's doing a master's degree in history and applying to PhD programs, too--she's probably one of the better-read people I've come across.

They're not that had to find, TBQH, provided you're not an ugly sperg and can actually keep a conversation going.

>all he read was the basic foundation of philosophy and then he started to pick ones that he thought are interesting and make sense to him
Great argument

M-Metaphysics?

>Women, why don't you actually read some philosophy. Oh, I know the answer
>philosophy
Who the FUCK wants to sit there and talk about philosophy?

Attached: judge_dredd.jpg (825x464, 205K)

I'm only 20 desu

Hey, this board is only for kids under 18. Enjoy your b&.

>there's no philosophy in fiction guys. Just boring naration.
>my pure philosophycal taste is superior
>rEspEcKt mY inTeLecT

>philosophy
>not superior theology
wew