WWTG: Waste Water Treatment General

Discussion for water and wastewater treatment, the most redpilled career path for a young quantitative thinker

Continued from:
I'm a wastewater project manager in socal and have the highest level of operator certification so ask away for now

Attached: 16242809207_033703e0dc.jpg (500x332, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU
youtube.com/watch?v=Q-D-CowBL-s
newbrunswicktoday.com/article/exclusive-police-report-details-suspicious-2007-suicide-new-brunswick-water-director
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: 253e78575f3e0b634f172162a1c21288.jpg (510x368, 37K)

This is literally the shittiest meme being forced onto Jow Forums in recent years. Fuck you, fuck your shit cleaning job, and fuck anyone who willingly decides to claw through human waste for money like some fucking sudra.

fuck off with this shit, not politics

what state? i might be able to point you in the right direction

Why are you so mad? It’s a well-paying job with benefits that a GED holder can get.
This is an amazing thread to have on Jow Forums, your repulsion to the idea just solidifies the previous OP’s point that the reason the pay is so good is because people either don’t think about it or hate the idea.
I’m strongly considering this after getting some medical issues ironed out so I can jump back into the workforce with no fuss and have ample room for advancement.

I guess enjoy one of your 6 nasim threads, 8 threads about women, 4 blacked threads, countless threads literally dedicated to memes, 3 fit threads, 7...

Different topic, it may be too late since the thread died but you should definitely point at the other use you were speaking to.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT NEEDS TO BE TALKED ABOUT.

this was literally just posted.

Hiring?

Are you still around?

Bump user.
Double certified water wastwater level 4, controls and scada fag checking in. Ask away fellas.

Attached: 1522395718564.gif (367x367, 336K)

Bump, if it means anything.
>unemployed magic man
>consulting is a pyramid scheme

What state?

Cyber security has so many applications after he gets out of the military. I'm guessing both fields overlap quite a bit though. I wish I would have gone mil cyber.

I just applied for this... "Treatment Plant Operator 1 - Wastewater" . what are my odds of being hired on with no operator expirence, but I do have 5 years experience doing IT support at $18/hr.

How much do you make?

Jersey
>trying to get out

youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Level 1 positions are entry level. If your healthy and ready to work you'll be considered. I started when I was 22 with no experience except a little welding and some college.
Do some homework user, learn about wastewater, if you get an interview it will help if you have some basic knowledge about the field.

Hey OP
my dad retired from wastewater treatment lab tech in a SoCal city a few years back
I see wastewater threads every couple years on Jow Forums
It's a neat occupation
metabolic byproducts from legal and illegal drugs are contaminating our water supply more and more

I make 28 an hour, plus bennies. I work with us army as dod employee. I started at a municipality, got my certa and moved over to army.

They say there is left over birth control in the water supply. I was thinking how can this be if the water is source from a dam?

When looking for open positions in my area what should I search for? Should I call around?

i'm in CA but jersey has a lot of privatized water utilities, check out Suez (formerly united water) and NJ american water websites for job posting. they have to follow the same state regs but you are just getting paid by a private company. it has its pros and cons.

Dont they pump the treated waste water in to the ocean?

in some municipalities i suppose birth control waste can be flushed and sent to a wastewater treatment plant, and that plant could discharge to a river that feeds a reservoir downstream? seems like you might have meant wastewater stream i.e. rivers and its killing fish

Well yeah it depends on where you get your water from. For instance the city of Riverside dumps all of its effluent (treated water) into the river and downstream communities use it.

There are of course many metabolic byproducts of drug use floating around in the water supply. We haven't really studied it that well and it may be causing problems. For instance we just recently found out that trenbolone, an anabolic steroid, gets broken down by UV light during the day but reconstitutes itself perfectly at night. Weird stuff.

Good luck with that, Save and prep.
>Fed contract employee for two and a half years at thirty five an hour
>change of administration
>contracts canceled at the height of the employment/unemployment "crisis"

Why wouldnt I just learn a trade though while self teaching programming or something else?

Search yiur local city human resources page. Also look at usa jobs for goverment positions. Believe it or not we do have entry level positions now and then. They are usually a wg 8 promotabke with experience. I think they start around 18 an hour. You might have to relocate to snag one.

first make sure the towns you are applying in are publicly operated, i.e. you will be a state/town employee. if they are, you will find job postings on the town website. if the utility is privately operated, you will find the job posting on the private company's website.

most public sector jobs don't get posted on linkedin, indeed, etc., only on the .gov websites for the towns.

I managed both wastewater and freshwater and class a cert in both. All this career path taught me is how incompetent the government really is. If things are such a clusterfuck on the municipal level God only knows what goes on at the county, state, and federal.

Attached: 1515220401845.gif (500x375, 249K)

Yeah my dad worked with several incompetent women, flips, and combinations thereof. You get brown bitches in charge and suddenly they start hiring only people who look like them.

This literally hit the bump limit 20 minutes before this was posted. If their were two, tHey didn’t backlink and are probably dead by now.
How much do you make? This job offers to make you into the top 50% of income earners starting pay. I remember a Jow Forums slid constantly by college graduates whining they couldn’t make top 25%
this is a good thread, feel free to hide it.

Yeah pharms are becoming problem. In my opinion its a overlooked pollutant. Were mainly concerned with suspended solids, nitrates and biological caontaminants. I'm not even sure pharmaceutical metabilites are on anyones npdes permit in the us at thus point. I wonder, need to look that up.

One oils suppse if they don’t dump it into the reservoir this isn’t a concern. I’m no chemist, but I’m pretty sure rainwater is pure h2o+airborn contaminants

How much money do you make?

My cousin runs 2 wastewater plants in two small adjoining towns. Because of the overlap its not uncommon for him to get 80+ hours/week. I think he makes just above $30/hour. Likes his job and has done it for 16 years. He's my go to guy for questions on chlorine gas as he has to use it at work. Apparently it's super heavy and will follow the lowest path i.e. a stream. One breath will choke you being belief and it burns like a mother fucker. He had a split second intersection with it due to a failed safety precaution. He claims seeing people run through the smoke is impossible. It damages your throat so fast you can't breathe and would be screaming/growling to get air. If you've ever owned a pool and had to do a chlorine shock and sniffed the mixture like a dumbass. That automatic choking is apparently nothing compared to the gas.

I can and have lived (comfortably) well under 20k a year. Earning double that would help me build a hefty savings in no time. People today waste so much money on things that bring them no joy and save them no time.

yep fuck chlorine gas

Not particularly interested in wastewater, but I'm considering ditching my low level IT bullshit for trades, but I don't really want to dedicate all my time to a job. The freedom to waste at least 3 days a week on random bullshit is very important for my mental health.
Looking into Millwright at the moment, it seems the most likely to stay interesting, but I'm guessing it's not the kind of job that you can work 4 day weeks and take a week off every once in a while.

I kinda doubt wastewater stuff is either, but it can't hurt to ask. So what are the schedules like?

>NJ American owns the local reservoir
>grew up trespassing just to hang out with friends, what country we had, occasionally swimming and fishing (no harm intended, never caught)
>have applied multiple times

You have no idea what it is like here, the idea(s) of consulting and foreign labor have taken over.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q-D-CowBL-s

SAGE

Attached: B029A77BCCF84541BAE1309FDD8A1154.jpg (403x395, 19K)

Thats more or less what I did fren. You need the deep understanding of how your equipment works before you can write control logic to oversee and control said equipment. It takes years to learn all the various mcc types and how to integrate your controls into those systems.

So in short your on the right path bud.

It taught me this too, but i realized if i simply used my fucking brain while at work it would quickly advance me above everyone, and it did. fast.

Previous OP claimed around 20/hr with 6 hours “overtime” on call-pay, plus medical and pension.

It sounds very promising for someone who holds no delusion of becoming a billionaire and just wants a comfy job with some advancement opportunities.
I I would like to more about the day-to-day since I have nerve damage that prevents extended fine motor movement and sitting.

Oh tes the green death. Shit is scary man. Especially moving/ hooking up one ton cylinders of that shit.

>I don't really want to dedicate all my time to a job.
This is a big deal to me, my favorite jobs were when I was working 20-30 a week, I’m capable of more work but I just don’t see the value until it’s too late and I’ve drained dozens of thousands of dollars trying to float by a medical issue.

Sage what?

Attached: ?.jpg (660x440, 373K)

>Jow Forums is sewage
>newfags are all turds
>needs treatment

OP is correct

no, i actually know a lot about the water and wastewater systems in NJ. i'm guessing you're in south jersey, jobs are obviously pretty scare there. Suez has projects along the shore now so idk maybe do a little more research into how far they've expanded.

>sniffed the mixture like a dumbass

I did this as a kid, my smelling hasn't been the same since

>Apparently it's super heavy and will follow the lowest path i.e. a stream
Weird that the EPA claims Chlorine destroys 100,000 molecules of ozone per molecule and banned HCFC production because of it, huh? Also weird we still use it for loads of other shit.

>trying to sage while posting a pic

Oh I'm laughin, you're so new it hurts

Attached: 1385601071418.gif (207x154, 483K)

I'm west of Portland, Oregon. Where should I apply?

Sup OP?
Actually caught my interest because I have an interest in storm drain and sewer systems. Veins of the city, find it fascinating. Used to be heavily into urbex when I had more free time. Can you really go in on a cold call? Currently in a niche security trade making similar money but bored and no long term prospects unless you plan to start your own operation

Attached: 1498733442-046.jpg (640x418, 183K)

gay bar

Thanks user

A little underwhelming desu, was hoping for at least 6 figures annually. Annually you’re barely breaking $50k, that might be great for some areas but in Commiefornia you’re fcked.

H1B code monkeys make more

A lot of times when you work hourly the company kind of accounts for OT and extras. I worked for one company making 2k a week on 15/hr base only working 4 days a week but I also got commission, bonuses, and hefty OT.

newbrunswicktoday.com/article/exclusive-police-report-details-suspicious-2007-suicide-new-brunswick-water-director

You think the guy killed himself over some suspended solids fudging on state reports?

>like he wasn't taking orders.

>sudra
You really need to fuck off poo leaf. Stop thinking in terms of the caste culture of the country you left and start actually integrating into the country you reside in or go the fuck back.

Portland and surrounding areas are mostly public as far as I know so check your local water utility or public works websites

Can I use you as a reference on my application?

Oh who knows man. I worked really closely with private operators for a long time and it never got suicide-level corrupt.

Feel free to enjoy the rest of the internet, unless you have some strange compulsion to work with sewage and turds for free.
We are just talking about being well-payed to participate in yuor hobby.

I may have been trolled, but I’ve been told as nauseum for a few years that they changed that.

>I'm a wastewater project manager in socal and have the highest level of operator certification so ask away for now
Is it true you can train from within and get that cert? Some of those plant manager / operator jobs are like 100k+ year. I mean not just for wastewater but for city water management in general.

>H-1B, anything, gives a kickback, in some form
>H-1B is not a threat to office politics
>H-1B is a constant rotation of labor that does not threaten overseers

>I was hoping to stay in commiefornia
Well, maybe with that sort of brain damage, you should.
Best of luck.

No one will ever beleive you.

Attached: 893EE990-FAF1-43E9-9F38-6224DBC06E34.jpg (350x350, 35K)

yes, 100%, it's an industry where your dedication and hard work is recognized 100%. polar opposite of wageslaving. if you get up to level 4 and have been working for 10 years you will be at $100k for sure.

if you're in CA check bcwaterjobs.com

What is the bare bones minimum job title with no requirements?

You're almost as dense as chlorine gas.

>bcwaterjobs.com
Any tips for an user in the central coast? Folks have been telling me to look into the field

every municipality is different but generally "operator in training." just look it up on your state's website, how to get operator in training certification and do whatever you have to. usually there's an application fee but it's low. then start applying. you may also be able to qualify for Operator I without any prior experience. again depends on the state/your background.

What if i have a criminal record? Should be a misdemeanor..

BC Water jobs covers the whole state and does a pretty good job of doing so. it is pretty low profile and only used among professionals. you can use it to look up the local utility agencies along the coast and maybe check their websites for openings that may not be listed elsewhere. also remember that if there is a big factory or refinery or something it probably has its own dedicated wastewater plant that you can search for open positions.

I've read that a lot of Water treatment plants are run by old mafia families, which is why they're mostly privatized businesses still...

I probably am but HCFCs were banned and the replacement is verified by the EPA to cause more global warming so the EPA is at least as dense as I.

Do you think it's a good idea to try to get as many Jow Forums users as possible to be at the higher ranks of water treatment?

Because I do.

Attached: cigs in hell.jpg (578x495, 42K)

>had moved there recently at the time
>reported the water quality (or incidents of lack of)
I know the difference between doing the right thing, and how life and politics can interfere with doing the right thing...

I quit and started a business with a friend

Attached: 1522816159322.jpg (502x464, 138K)

not a felony and probably won't matter. if it does matter then i'm sure you would be given a chance to explain it.

Looked at opening near me.
>Eight (8) years of documented experience as an Industrial Wastewater Treatment Operator in a manufacturing environment

Is there one that you would recommend?

Cool awesome. Thanks man

thanks based user
what skills are good to have for entry level? have a few years college chem and calc but no degree

imo after 8 years you should be at or near chief plant operator level. it does not take much effort to condense your entire experience as an operator into the state minimums for advancement in licensure.

Molecular weight and density aren't the same fucking thing, dumbass.
The problem with HCFCs is that they're just about stable enough to get into the stratosphere. It doesn't matter how reactive something is with ozone if it breaks down before it gets up there.

my favorite piece of advice to give is sound technical and intelligent with your resume but sound personable and simplistic in your interview. as someone who hires operator I, II, and IIIs often, i look for someone who can communicate with everyone from your average socially awkward neet desk jockey to your hell's angels biker bro operator. if they see that you take direction well and can thrive in an environment that isn't professional and requires you to be rough around the edges, BUT you can be professional if you have to, that will be a massive plus.

i assume if you are on Jow Forums you have some predisposition to computers and technology. wastewater plants are run entirely on PLC systems and an understanding of these systems goes a LOOONG way. many places will literally hire you for being the young guy who knows how to use the computer really well.

Is the goal of these waste management job threads to get some Jow Forums faggs to take over the industry? Whats the end game once we get all the faggs in these jobs?

Attached: 150909-homonaledi-ngs_3e90792b7d9db10c2da058856db5a347.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg (830x960, 107K)

I honestly don't even care about the insults because you might be able to answer questions I've had since getting certified.

>The problem with HCFCs is that they're just about stable enough to get into the stratosphere.
What's the difference between chlorine gas dumped into water and chlorine just being added?

> It doesn't matter how reactive something is with ozone if it breaks down before it gets up there.
How does that change the fact that the largest HFC that came out to replace the largest HCFC has a higher GWP?

The original thread sounds like OP might be a degenerate faggot.
>Test for weed
>Don't want to work toward school

I'll give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he's not.
t. enginigger
t. civilnigger
If you have an ounce of gettup in you you'll work towards a degree and master all there is to know about poop.

Attached: FEM.jpg (569x578, 74K)

I do, and "environmental" too.

These aren't the questions you should be asking.
You should be asking about flocculation and coagulaiton.
You need to know about mean residence time.
You need to be knowledgeable in a bit of fluid mechanics.

I like the way you Anons think

Attached: Dale.png (639x474, 428K)