LOW BAR SQUATS

So about low bar squats, I was having some issue with experiencing lower back pain immediately after finishing a set. I looked up some more rippetoe videos about the form and this is what I understand thus far:

>bar goes on lower traps
>stance a little wider
>"put your dick in between your knees"/arch your lower back by flexing those muscles
>HIP DRAHVE
I just finished my 3x5 and I still feel some soreness down there. What am I missing?

Attached: 20170519_600.jpg (600x400, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BpP3MphgiCq/?taken-by=chaselindley
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There is no way for us to know. Gonna need a video.

Try lowering the weights though.

instagram.com/p/BpP3MphgiCq/?taken-by=chaselindley

Low bar squats are going to bad for back it's as simple as that.

I bet you think deadlifts are bad for you and your back is made out of cheap plastic and glass?

Be autist about your form but got pain too when I started SS, pain is less now/inexistant since I'm more flexible, but I also reduce my feet stance to shoulder width

I think the problem with most people who get low back pain from low bar is keeping the shin angle to vertical.

Based

Low bar squats are for fat people

Only difference is "bar goes lower" your torso is going to have to lean forward more to compensate for the shortened lever arm but that's it. Everything else is the same

yes, because moving the bar up two inches into an even more mechanically disadvantageous position with similar loading is so much better for your back and makes a really big difference

retard

t. buttblasted long femur niggas

Dunno. I found I could move more weight, less rom to bottom position, and defn felt different. I high bar squat only now bc I wanted the Rom back.

Whats more embarassing Low bar "squats" or Sumo "deadlifts".

Attached: 1539355814312.png (1125x1358, 1.17M)

and also more shear forces on your lower back

Attached: 1516400128507.jpg (600x389, 32K)

what's the benefit of this over a normal squat?

I think in some cases it might better suit your body type.

probably whatever pathetic numbers you highbar squat and conventional deadlift

Could you you've injured one of your lower backs muscles, most likely QL.
If it helps and you're not in a shit health care country, go see a physio and they'll give you good stretches to tease the muscle back to normal

If you are low bar squatting but are trying to have a high bar back position at the bottom, you will be straining to over extend your back at the bottom.

I had this exact problem with my girlfriend the other day after transitioning her.

So you may need:
A wider stance
Feet pointed 30 degrees
Push knees out during squat

This will all help clear your hips to allow your torso in at the bottom

At the same time:
Make sure you are Valsalva bracing before every rep (helps lock spinal position)

And, really point your nipples to the ground. Your back position needs to go way more horizontal than you think and this helps cue it.

The hip drahve cue is to help you come out of the bottom in the correct motor pattern, the aim with it is to avoid doing a “good morning squat”.

If you’re having trouble visualising why your back needs to go more horizontal even though the bar has moved only an inch or so, think about the front squat. In it you have to have a very upright position to keep the weight balanced over mid foot. The further we move the bar behind us, the furthest being the low bar, the more horizontal your back needs to be to keep the weight centred.

The high bar is between these two positions and has a back angle that is also in between.

Attached: 30A97424-0709-4B38-B2A9-3E89EE1852F6.jpg (610x915, 99K)

Just squat normally to a depth you feel is comfortable. Use box squats if you want. People that low bar squat have hip issues 9/10. Correct those issues through training and you will be able to squat to depth. If those issues are caused by injuries just continue to box squat.

the best exercise for training the posterior chain, in addition to your entire thigh.

more mechanically advantageous means more weight cant be used and you develop more systemic strength

taking the time to learn the nuances and technique will help prepare you for many other things in lifting and in life. instead of 'put bar on traps, bend knees' , learning a multitude of cues and bio mechanical reasons for doing what you do will force you to think.

read the book and make up your own mind instead of listening to the scum on this board who seem to become pleasured by spreading disingenuous information.

can* be used

What do you think spinal erectors are for? Aesthetics?

>gets herniated disc
>but I have spinal erectors! how could this possibly happen?!

Attached: 1513021427110.jpg (800x450, 21K)

>never squats
>never deadlifts
>no core strength
>can't maintain a neutral spine
>warms up with bar
>loads lmao2pl8
>wakes up in hospital
>fucking Jow Forums!

Attached: 555-come-on-now.jpg (600x337, 51K)

>spinal erectors
nobody is worried about a spinal erector injury, they're worried about discs, discs have a much lower tolerance for shear than they do for compression

that's why the progression goes something like front squat -> highbar squat -> comp squat for a powerlifter returning from a disc injury generally

You are missinf reverse hyper extensions, hamstring work, glute work, quad work, core training(abs lower back). And youll never get the pain unless with ego and absolutely bad form. Parallel is max if your femur is to long.

Attached: 3EC78D92-1FE2-4D4B-920A-76375956FBF8-2218-0000026129718C47.jpg (519x521, 23K)

Shear tends to cause slipped discs, not herniations. The whole spine needs to be trained like any other tissue for strength, integrity, and health. The disc isn't the only component of the joint, and the spinal erectors aren't the only muscle acting on your spine. Obliques, serratus, abdominals, even your diaphragm and trapezius all contribute to holding your shit together. Breakdown in form, fatigue, muscular imbalances and poor judgement will contribute to spinal problems more than training your core. Of course, many people, especially on this board, don't lift for primarily health reasons and that relates pretty strongly with poor judgement about healthy practices.

>Shear tends to cause slipped discs, not herniations.
stop right there, retard, there is no such thing as a slipped disc, slipped disc is a colloquialism for a bulged or herniated disc

stop posting when you don't have a clue what the fuck you're talking about

Try using a belt to improve bracing the core and core strength.

Oh fuck, was I had by a colloquialism? My bad. The point stands, train your fucking core.

Attached: bullshit and faggots.jpg (735x541, 32K)

Tried to move from high bar to low bar because I want to start competing next year just to find out I couldn't get in the position properly due to shoulder mobility.. been doing this stretch + a few others daily but this is as close as I can get to low bar position currently, fucking terrible.. hopefully in a few weeks I'll get there.
any tips for anyone who went through the same?

Attached: shit-mobility.png (479x597, 489K)

Weird. Im a cscs and work closely with rehab on athletes with spinal injuries (including powerlifters) and never heard of this front squat first method. What clinics do you see this at?

doesn't matter. you can easily get 300-400 doing high bar and anything beyond that is autism

realize girl in pic related has never worked out in her life beyond "yoga"

Unless you are competing at a high level and want to cheat out some extras kgs to win just do proper squats.

my body is literally 1/3rd femur and this thread greatly amuses me

Attached: Rayquaza_visits_vp.png (960x417, 181K)

You move more weight because of the shorter lever arm, that is your torso. That's it. You have a greater biomechanical advantage squatting lowbar compared to highbar.

While that's true, with a neutral spine the shear forces are generally not enough to cause injury. The major difference in muscle activation between those three bar positions are which spinal erectors are used most.

Try lowering the weights to your buttcheeks. Also
>low bar squatting
>squatting with your back at all
>relying on squats as if is some heaven sent exercise

Ok so if I have a herniated disc(like 1 year and some old injury, still hurts though.. )

I should be doing high bar squats, correct?

Kek

High bar puts less strain in your lower back so yes. Front squats puts even more less.

If high bar feels better then just do high bar.

i always get knee pains from squatting inside the knees. this used happen before too. what the fuck is the right form. feet width and toe direction??

that wasn't a typo you brainlet, it was a complete lack of understanding of the topic

try again

>make up your own mind instead of listening to the scum on this board who seem to become pleasured by spreading disingenuous information.

Attached: 1516897801617.jpg (750x683, 39K)

There's literally NO difference in posterior chain activation (aside from which erectors are used more) when it comes to lowbar squats vs any other squat bar position.

>complete lack of understanding of the topic

>herniated disc
>This is known as a slipped, herniated, or prolapsed disk

You're a complete faggot, and a churl

good luck with that

report back how your knees feel in like a month or so.

>muscular imbalances
that is just a meme and things like that don't actually happen

>>This is known as a slipped, herniated, or prolapsed disk
>You're a complete faggot, and a churl
Known as that by gym bro's on the internet that don't know shit.

brainlet #1 said shear causes only slipped discs, but not herniated discs, drawing a distinction between the two that is more than semantic

you're so fucking stupid it's amazing you function in daily life, try and keep up ok brainlet?

Attached: 1512330470348.jpg (645x671, 81K)

i think you misunderstood him
1. bar on posterior delts
2. the distance between the inner side of your feet should be the same or slightly more as your shoulder width
3. breath, tighten core
4. Begin the movement with your KNEEs NOT HIPS WITH NEUTRAL BACK
5. knee above toes at bottom
6. Hip DRAAAHVE your way up while using your quads at the same time
7. lower back, quads, glutes should work simultaneously

>knees above toes
Who gives a fuck about forward knee travel lol

knee over toes means bar over mid foot which means more efficient, strong and stable path

You literally can’t “herniate” a disc. It’s not a thing you dumb memer.

Attached: herniated disc.jpg (493x335, 39K)

this