Books Thread

What are you reading user?
My books arrived today, the other one is The Call of Cthulhu also by Lovecraft

Attached: 2018-10-04 18.35.15.jpg (3120x4160, 1.69M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1SiRi5kqUbc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

>tfw too dumb to re-read what you wrote and posting description of something in the photo

Attached: 1538630327356.png (714x574, 283K)

finishing the last book in the dark tower series. it sucks and hasn't been good since book 4

Unironically the Bible
Only book that matters

aren't those short stories? Are those books each 16 pages long or something?

I'm currently reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Right now I'm reading Perfect Soldiers by Terry McDermott, it's fascinating but I hope I don't get put on some kind of watchlist.

That sucks. How many books are there?

I'd like to read more of the Bible. I tried reading the Quran but it seems like it was written by a schizophrenic (which it was)

ATMOM is 116 pages and the other is 40

The two books depicted are longer stories with several chapters.

Mountains is a legit novella. Call of Cthulu is a short story.

I was reading Down and Out in London and Paris by Orwell but I lost it somewhere.
>That guy in the bar talking about "the true love"
>It was just a peasant girl kept in a basement being whored out for cash
I need to finish it if I can find it.

I don't read, reading is for brainlets; I think

Just finished a book on North Korea by a local author. Probably going for some more non-fiction next.

Anyone know good french books ? It's my native language and I'm almost only reading translated english books.

What's a good book where the protagonist is a robot?

Camp of the Saints

My Twisted World by Elliot Rodger

oreganoliooo

The thumbnail made me realize Lovecraft put a vagina on the cover of his book.

>tfw you forcibly read a book a day and consequently get very little sleep
Aahahaaa!...
Going through tons of books to keep my academic knowledge stable and build upon such, mostly on the topic of plastics, waste engineering, water clarification and aircraft instruments. Also readying on Fourier analysis and it is breaking me like nothing else before, alas been getting next to no sleep to conquer it. As for actual literature, started and finished the Dyer book "Standards of Living in the Later Middle Ages: Social Change in England c.1200-1520" yesterday. My concentration has been historically poor and it didn't fair much better this time around, I might have learned a thing or two though which is rather nice. Didn't realize how severe depopulation got nor the fact that citizens were actually paid wages (where 8p is a shilling and 20 shillings is a pound or something) and that construction workers earned solid incomes though their mates income over multiple centuries increased at a far faster rate of course still being just below by a pound in the late 1400's.

Reading more of everything really, going to read through Kim Gordon's autobiography "Girl in a Band", should be interesting. I'm not massive on the personalities of Sonic Youth though maybe I'll feel more towards them after such, really I'm crazily exploiting the library to get my value for money.

What actually happens in that publication, always wondered?

Attached: 38.jpg (550x660, 282K)

Elliot just goes through his life story by year and talks about all the injustices that have happened to him. It has potential but is very poorly-written.

Yonic symbolism ftw

>inb4
It's pretty good so far, but I wish the prose were a little better.

Attached: children of blood and bone.jpg (183x276, 16K)

have you read any of Camus's work?
Les Plus is great. I've only read the translation though.

Reading pic related, it's pretty good if you actually care about animation.

Attached: 1519794049782.jpg (1603x2131, 424K)

What's your opinion on self-help books? I think it's poison if you overread more than 1.

1. The republic
2. how to win friends and influence people
3. homer

I've read pic related but it was a long time ago. I'd like to read through it again, come to think of it though.

Attached: the art of walt disney.jpg (1862x2560, 1.31M)

There's nothing wrong with reading self=help books. I've been reading through a few of them all this year and I find that they've been helping.

I recommend:
>How to Get Laid Using Your Intuition
>The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck
>How to Win Friends and Influence People
>No More Mr. Nice Guy

And I'm currently reading through Rejection Proof, which I think is pretty good as well. Only reason why Jow Forums hates self-help books is because they're a bunch of overly cynical and negative fucking losers.

I thought the last book had some good moments

Currently reading BNW revisited, its been very good so far and it seriously brings very terrifying topics on how society will evolve and will fall under a new kind of totalitarian state.
All robots should read this.

Also have meditations by Marcus Aurelius next on the queue.

Attached: BNW REVISITED.jpg (214x306, 16K)

I can't stand self-help books. I've never met anyone who actually changed and became a better person by reading self-help books. People just read them, go "Wow so enlightening", and then forget about it and continue being their same old selves. Meanwhile, head-up-ass author makes millions on book sales.

I've only read l'etranger and liked it, but I never looked into his other works. I can't find anything on Les Plus tho, is it the name of the book ?

Fuck, I don't know why I thought it was les plus.
Correction: La Peste.
Forgive me I do not speak french.

Reading "Bomber Pilot on the Eastern Front". Down to about the last 20 or so pages.

That makes sense. Thanks for the recommandation, I'm gonna read that next.

Those are short stories right? Why are they so large?
Are those large print books with lots of... Ha HA HA pictures????!!!!

Attached: 1536651381572.png (620x924, 694K)

Crime and Punishment
I recently picked up on reading, and man I should have done this earlier.

Attached: 1453515087013.png (493x276, 33K)

No pictures fren

I don't read nearly as much as i did when i was in school unfortunately, but i always make sure to reread my favorite book every month or two. I do however read from my bible several times a week.

Attached: books.jpg (3000x1687, 1.24M)

still just about half way through this, who else /slowreader/?

Attached: d2908935.jpg (304x450, 39K)

you people are getting tiresome.

After you're done with lovecraft, you should definitely check out thomas ligotti's catalog. I recomend starting with teatro grotesco

rereading a series i read in middle school , The Last Apprentice by Joseph Delaney

Attached: scary hand ;o.jpg (332x499, 49K)

>2018
>reading
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
FUCKING NERDS

Most people that say that about the Quran also say that about the Bible too, IMO the Bible is more extreme.

I read The Metamorphosis last week.
Thought about picking up Hesse or Dostoevsky. Any recommendations?

I mean, it is true that I'm biased because of my Christian upbringing. But still, I feel like if a person who knew nothing about either picked up the Quran, they would be confused, but if they picked up the Bible and started from page 1, it would be more straightforward.

When I have time I attempt to read Infinite Jest

Finishing the last book in the Strain trilogy. They're not great or even particularly good books; the show is better in every way.
I've got Armor and Starship Troopers coming from amazon, looking forward to reading those.

Notes from underground got me back into reading

Insult my quran again nigga and we gonna have a problem

Anyone got a book for a brainlet? I used to read A LOT as a teen. But just pleb stuff. Like fantasy, crime or spy (or thriller or whatever you call it in english) books made for teens. I often read an entire book (300+ pages) in one sitting. Anyway, haven't read any book in like 5 years or so. I feel like my vocabulary actually became worse, even though I went from being a teen to an adult, because I stopped reading.
So yea, I'd like to read again. But not some autistic high iq 18th century literature.
Preferably something that is kinda normie friendly and also not too boring or abstract. Anyone got a suggestion?

Discworld series. they're not all that complicated to read but it's not fingerpaint and crayons either.

I looked up some reviews etc. and the books seem to be good, however from what I read they are rather humorous. I'd prefer a more serious book (serious as in not trying to entertain through humor but rather a thrilling story).

>Serious

Ernest Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Across the River and into the Trees"

Almost finished with the Book of the New Sun which is pretty good, been reading Anatomy of Melancholy and Montaigne on the side.
>high iq 18th century literature
You don't really need to be smart or even of average intelligence to read classic literature. Just read slow and ease yourself into it. Don Quixote is really great and easy to read, but its pretty long. What fantasy do you like? Did you read Tolkien? If you like that read Beowulf. And be sure to read Homer at some point regardless. It helps to start with early works because literature is steeped in tradition, but really you can start anywhere. Find an author you like and stick to them. Pay attention to translations too if the work is not originally in English, /lit/ will help you pick one if you can't figure it out.
Crime and Punishment is a good place to start.

Attached: pennington-interview.jpg (1024x349, 120K)

Discworld is serious in a funny way.
youtu.be/1SiRi5kqUbc

Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives.
I like reading it in public, it can be funny.

Way too many: Going Postal from Discworld, The Science of Discworld (is kind of shit desu, might drop), Schindler's Ark, The Prince, De Profundis and Fundamental Chess Endings.

what version user?
answer carefully

Attached: FB_IMG_1537744999526.jpg (394x394, 17K)

OP your copy of call looks like it has a pussy on the cover in the thumbnail.

Notes from Underground by dostoevsky