English pros: Why is "to attend" spelled with two t but "to be afraid" only with one f?

English pros: Why is "to attend" spelled with two t but "to be afraid" only with one f?
It makes no fuckign sense desu

Attached: A1nwhDv.png (500x500, 355K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9rUWEGSEWbw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are you saying "to attend" and "to be afraid" as though each is one word? The "to" and "to be" are completely irrelevant.

because they're completely different words desu

whats more of absurd is afraid comes from the obsolete verb affray which is spelt with two Fs. any language has something that doesn't make sense

Just because

Attached: e5939432.png (574x588, 37K)

While we’re bitching:

>an apple
>a kidney
>an igloo
>a shoe
>an orb
>a dildo
>an history

Fucking why

Maybe has something to do with how attend has a short e while afraid has a long a sound

for the same reason it would in german

>an history
You sure that one's correct? I'm pretty sure you pronounce the H in history so it starts with a consonant sound, not a vowel sound.

"An history" is wrong, unless you're one of those retards that leaves h's off words. You'd use an if it's a word like hour.

Attached: F6F47BB5-06C4-40B8-A686-899714F6D5A0.png (640x1136, 131K)

I think it just depends on how you pronounce the word, like if you have a heavy British accent you might leave out the H while saying it

That's probably do the way they conjugate in other Indo-European languages. For example in Spanish Brillar means "to shine," but I shine would be "Brillo" and you shine would be "Brillas." The closet translation in English is "To shine."

because english makes no sense

Attached: image.jpg (259x383, 18K)

Half of this language makes no fucking sense, get used to it

Attached: 1524703050011.jpg (600x800, 64K)

To answer your question, it's because "afraid" is a state of being and therefore has to have "be" in it. "Attend" is not a state of being so it's just "to attend".

Attached: DTrnF8VW4AEf0QZ.jpg (640x460, 94K)

English is a disgusting horror child of like three or four only distantly related languages, there’s a few glitches in the resulting language as a result. The good part is that you don’t have to get everything exactly right in order to be understood since the conjugation system is so simple.

>"an" in front of words that start with a vowel
>"a" in front of words that start with a consonant

It's actually one of the parts of English that makes complete sense

youtube.com/watch?v=9rUWEGSEWbw

vowel and consonant sounds that is

>resulting as a result
Hey look, that’s that glitch I was talking about

>an hero