So Peterson is going to make a conference about his book at my university and i need to hear some opinions

So Peterson is going to make a conference about his book at my university and i need to hear some opinions.
Someone tell me, with all memes aside, is his book worth reading? Are his conferences worth attending?
I know for fact that his opinions fall much on the conservative and religion and are most of the time subjective shit.

Attached: 9780241351642.jpg (800x1230, 69K)

>is his book worth reading?
No

> Are his conferences worth attending?
No

If you're tidy, have goals/are achieving them, and have decent hygiene you'll get nothing from this
If you don't, you might see why you would want to
It's a massive over explanation of simple shit

Attached: 1526938248590.png (879x788, 241K)

my brother bought me this book because i was in a rut alittle while back. I appreciated the gesture but holy shit this book is garbage. This moron peterson rambles on for pages and pages and pages just to get one simple concept across that takes a sentence at most. Its almost like reading the brain farts of a man who thinks hes much smarter than he is.

The first 25 pages he talks about lobsters, when all hes trying to get across is the concepts of alpha and beta. Its fucking garbage dont bother

It's basically a self help with a conservative tinge.

You may as well read Nietzsche. JP is a watered down version of similar ideals geared towards alt-right college age Trumptards who haven't swallowed any black or red pills of note.

I actually have a copy of twilight of the idols laying around in my office. Is it a good starting book?

Just blame everything on the postmodern neo-Marxists and you will fit in. His idea is pretty much there to get robots out of the NEET life and back into the western value system. The book is not that bad, just a bit heavy handed. Also, go clean your fucking room.

Read that and Ecce Homo afterwards. Anything else is largely unnecessary, as long as you get the point. Jow Forums is quite literally the embodiment of Schopenhauer. If you want to see past this board, Nietzsche can help. He was heavily influenced by Schopenhauer, but took his ideas in a far different and more positive direction.

If you don't like readin pages and pages of text that doesn't seem to go anywhere, try justread "an introduction " to Nietzsche. Also if you or other anons are not very smart: you'll save a lot of time in the long run.

This is a good idea. Commentary on the past and present is far less important than the cultivation of a self-actualized life and the development of practical skills and knowledge.

I bought his book, I swear to god it better not be another self-help book written differently.

The few books philosiphy genre books i've read were mostly about stoicism, which have helped me quite a lot in bearing with life. I've been told that Nietzche is quite tricky, hard to understand and contradicts himself sometimes. Also people say that he inspired nazis despite hating his sister for being some pro-white figure.

also:
> If you want to see past this board
What do you mean with this?

>I've been told that Nietzche is quite tricky, hard to understand and contradicts himself sometimes.
He writes in a very poetic way, and he doesn't care for lenthy explanations. He is not "hard to understand", it will just take you longer. His books are best read slowly and frequently, on the road trips or your way to your destination, that's what he wrote.
Also he contradicts himself because it's one of the points in his philosophy - the escape from the illusion of "absolute truth". Was there logic and truth before us or were we the ones who put it there?

Also people say that he inspired nazis despite hating his sister for being some pro-white figure.

Did you buy the book without reading the title?

The most concise tl;dr of Nietzsche is that religion is dead, not because it's wrong but because people rejected it. His works are essentially him trying to secularize the teachings of religion (do your best in spite of suffering). His idea of Will to power is the end result, essentially making your conscious mind always seek better and reject laziness and negative development.

When I say see past this board, I mean pulling yourself out of the depths of cynicism. It's very important to have a cynical outlook to wake up and reject the false ideals common in society. Staying in the cynical, reactionary box is a guarantee you'll have a miserable, unfulfilled life however.

Forgot to write the second part

>Also people say that he inspired nazis despite hating his sister for being some pro-white figure
Nietzsche was strongly opposing any kind of race-based ideology because, to simplify, it was a group morality. His philosophy is very individualistic.
His sister was a nazi bitch who larped as him in some letters.

it's basic bitch advice, don't waste your time.

idk he's just another guy regurgitating basic ideas that have been around for ages

I've been hearing so much about him that I thought it might be different.

>Staying in the cynical, reactionary box is a guarantee you'll have a miserable, unfulfilled life however.
T. The Right Way(TM) to happy life salesman

I'd attend his conference if given the opportunity and I'm not a fan, if you like what you hearr then buy the book from there.

Go attend, make sure you ask him this question.
>pic related

Attached: 1541936192885.jpg (1112x688, 160K)

ask him why he retweets PragerU videos

Care to explain whats the deal with that?

Go there, listen to his words, and decide for yourself. Jow Forums is a bunch of anonymous faggots who are too afraid to talk to you in person. How can you trust anything anyone says here?

Who else can i trust?
I spend 80% of the time alone, and the few people that im friends with dont even know a damn about Peterson. I have no other place to ask, i already take everything that gets posted here with a grain of salt.

>So Peterson is going to make a conference about his book at my university
Shit university.
They are over 100 living Nobel laureates, take other prestigious awards and you have over 1000 great scientist, your uni could invite.
But they choose lobster boy. Greaattt.

Trust your ears and form your own opinion. Listen to him and decide for yourself if he is worth more of your time. At worst you lose a few hours of your time and you can always bail early.

He is quite simply a con artist who panders to retarded men

basically what this user says you should seriously consider if you want to get input from Jow Forums on whether or not you should listen to someone. form your own opinion. just know that if you start reacting really negatively towards things he says (as most people seem to be doing in this thread) it's probably because he is telling you things that you don't want to hear (as most people who dislike him feel). that's an important sign that you're probably hearing something useful.

he's compassionate towards people, he's just blunt and speaks honestly, and this frustrates people who listen to him, especially when he hits the nail on the head about them, they get immediately defensive. he's not pretentious, just honest. everyone has issues, including himself, he's not perfect and he wouldn't pretend he is, it's just that the thought of someone telling you things you need to hear and "talking down to you" in such a blunt fashion generally makes people defensive and like they are being insulted rather than a guy who doesn't like to beat around the bush when it comes to problems we deal with in life.

Like i've said previously, i already know this is Jow Forums out of all places, i've been browsing this website for a few years and im familiar with the type of people this will come from. Thing is that i simply wanted to hear some other opinions about what to expect from the conference. Because i simply dont have any other place to hear about.
Im more than okay with his views, i've seen plenty of his videos being posted around here.
I think he says some useful stuff to the younger teens, but i also think he is wrong about some things (like the "art is always connected to religion" sort of idea) and that some of his views are purely subjective.

I wanted to see if he is simply going to playback the stuff he says in his videos about le post-modernists, complaining about left-wing teachers and tipping in some conservative bias.

The best thing to do is take anything Peterson says about philosophy with a grain of salt. He either doesn't know what post-modernism or Marxism is, or he's deliberately muddying the waters to support his political agenda (my money's on the latter, Peterson's not an idiot, he's a propagandist). His statements are the kinds of things that should make even an high school level philosophy student wince.