Anyone else here hate how academics and "intellectuals" talk...

Anyone else here hate how academics and "intellectuals" talk? They always sound like they're trying really hard to sound smart and knowledgeable, its pure fucking cringe. Jordan Faggotson is a good example of what i mean. Even if you ask him a question on a simple topic like daily routines, he will start talking about it as if he is talking about the meaning of life or doing calculus on quantum physics

Why are there no true intellectuals anymore like there were back in the day? Those are people you can respect.

Attached: einstein-simple-as-poss.jpg (960x720, 56K)

Most teachers don't know how to teach.

It's because they're all narcissistic

Yeah, I can't especially stand how people who try to look smart by using big words or words like "ergo" instead of just saying "so".

>They always sound like they're trying really hard to sound smart and knowledgeable
It's due to competition. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

>tfw you talk like this
I can't help it though it's how I think

Attached: 67b.jpg (600x450, 71K)

You are 100% right. The intellectuals of back in the day were actually interested in their fields and their focus in life was finding out the truth or developing their theories. The intellectuals of today are more interested in the praise they can get by sounding epic in front of an audience than actually doing science and developing their theories. Sometimes you almost think they do science almost exclusively for the praise they get for it.

Whatever happened in Western society the last 100 years, it made everyone a massive egotist.

People need to distinguish between liberal arts-type "intellectuals" and actual scientists such as in OPs pic. Jorden peterson is a faggot.

Well, I agree with you on Jordan Peterson at least. He's the type of guy who can talk for minutes and not really say anything that he couldn't have said in 30 seconds.

However, I think you're wrong that there are no true intellectuals anymore. There are tons of people writing in academia right now and some of them are really insightful. We just have a lot of really shitty public intellectuals right now, and their voices are broadcast the furthest. What it says about our society that people like Peterson are the ones we decide to pay attention to you can decide for yourself. Personally, I think guys like him are selling their own personal brand in a way, and people who are impressed by style over substance just eat it up. Meanwhile there's nothing you can learn from most of Peterson's lectures that you couldn't learn through reading a combination of self-help books and wikipedia articles about psychology.

I believe it was also Einstein who said that if you can't properly explain a concept to a kid you're either retarded or haven't understood it.

>baffle them with bullshit.
They're threatened both emotionally and existentially by the idea of plebians being able to challenge their bullshit rhetoric, so they intentionally make it as convoluted as possible.

Attached: slide_14.jpg (960x720, 80K)

>They always sound like they're trying really hard to sound smart and knowledgeable, its pure fucking cringe.
They don't, you're just fucking retarded
>Jordan Faggotson is a good example of what i mean.
Thanks for proving my point you utter brainlet. JP is probably the easiest public intellectual to understand.
>Even if you ask him a question on a simple topic like daily routines, he will start talking about it as if he is talking about the meaning of life or doing calculus on quantum physics
>hurr why are intellectuals giving me intellectual answers hurrr me no understand
>Why are there no true intellectuals anymore like there were back in the day
There are more than ever in the 21st century, you just don't know any because you're only exposed to public intellectuals through youtube recs because your IQ is in two digits.

Kill yourself.

Attached: 1532166765460.png (582x475, 118K)

Argot is used by KKK members to keep people out of the loop while using racial slurs in public, not used by regular professionals in daily life...

>he doesn't know big words
>he doesn't read books
>he doesn't know anything in depth enough to talk about it for lengths of time

Found the guy who talks about his breakfast as if he discovered a new scientific phenomenon

Most of them either dont really know what they are talking about or are trying to simplify things so much a trilobite could understand. Also a good bit cant cope with the fact that at the end of the day odds are they are just as much of a pleb as you and I, so they masturbate to a thesaurus and dictionary every night to look smart.

You might be right, considering my own goal is world domination.

because those kinds of people were very rare and almost no one knew someone like that in real life

>You are 100% right. The intellectuals of back in the day were actually interested in their fields and their focus in life was finding out the truth or developing their theories
Oh and you would know since your read them, right? No, of course not. You're a fucking moron.

Pick up a philosophy book you fucking clueless faggot. Every philosopher to have ever lived wrote and acted in the same fashion. Only difference is that you only hear good things about those in the past. You are so fucking clueless it hurts.

Us intellectuals aren't pretentious, you simply lack understanding.

This is what happens unironically when you come across morons. The gap between people who are in university for STEM and those who just went to hgih school is huge. They just assume I'm being an asshole when I'll casually use words like

>verbose
>cryptic
>intrepid
>et cetera

This is true and is why other works should only be supplementary when trying to develop your own ideas. You don't want to be one of those guys who thinks they're smart because they know what someone else who thinks they're smart said once.
The best ideas come from fucking weirdos.

This might not apply to you, but using "et cetera" instead of just saying "etc" over text is just pretentious.

wait, do you say "ee tee see" out loud?

nvm, I half-assed read your post.

I don't think this is the norm for academics (or maybe it is in the humanities but it's not in my field, the biosciences), but there is a big segment of academia that is like this. Part of it is just being inexperienced talking to those outside the field, and we have had some initiatives to try to remedy this. For example, I'm part of a club called Micromoles that adapts scientific publications into children's books.

Some people don't know what etc means when pronounced or in text was my point.

>he doesn't say "etc" in person

he said over text you retard, but nice attempt LARP'ing as an undergrad student psuedo-bougie I guess.

>you're only exposed to public intellectuals through youtube recs because your IQ is in two digits
Internet """intellectuals""" utterly BTFO

There's Noam Chomsky. He's a true intellectual.

The more pretentious thing is you nitpicking on someone for such a trivial opinion of yours.

Holy fuck, the bait on this board is reaching unsustainable levels these days.

How pretentious of (You)

this is just some shit critics say, like "intelligence critics" - people who aren't smart but won't shut up about people who are. you have no idea what you're talking about. those "weirdos" don't exist, that's just a common misconception you've picked up from your social conditioning and can't let go of because you don't know any better. it's like you're talking about some nerd in a movie who turns out to be the hero in the end - but guess what, it's just a movie dude. there is no such thing as a weird crazy genius nerd who has never read a book but automatically knows everything. geniuses read and study until their brains hurt and sometimes they get very ill from abusing their bodies so much just to stay up late and study more. the world of academia, just like every other field, only exists because of everyone who shared their work and studied the work of everyone else who shared it.

jesus fuck.

this whole thread is fucking stupid.

What, is it not pretentious?
And aren't you doing the same thing right now? Pointing someone's actions out as pretentious?

capitalism. people see the lack of guidance and authority and try to sell themselves as "life coaches", mentors, or educators. it's all a show to these people designed to get them money and move them up the ladder.

there are genuinely intelligent people out there but they are drowned out be the sea of whores and they're often forced to compete with these people.

I think you're talking about lawyers

Leftist academic fucks use "neoliberalism" as a euphemism for "capitalism" so that laymen don't automatically recognize them for what they really are, Marxist commie kikes.

Attached: 17149339-abstract-word-cloud-for-neoliberalism-with-related-tags-and-terms-stock-photo.jpg (1300x970, 266K)

>you're pretentious
>no you're pretentious
>*acting smart and epic mode initiated
>heh, fools, the lot of you. ALL of you are pretentious, I am the only thinking being here
The "intellectuals" have started i see

Attached: flat 800x800 075 f.jpg (250x248, 17K)

atleast we're better than those redditors right?

What the fuck
But typing out et cetera instead of etc IS pretentious. I'd be impressed if you could argue against it

I hate how people give things complicated names and don't just speak in a straight forward way. It makes it harder for new people to learn these things. In conclusion humanity is hurting itself by coming up new types of bullshit

That's retarded. Neoliberalism is a distinct form of capitalism that emerged in the 80's. Nobody is using it to refer to capitalism as a kind of dog whistle. Being anti-neoliberal also doesn't mean that you're anti-capitalist more broadly, although people who are anti-capitalist are going to be critical of neoliberalism as well. You clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Perhaps you are just projecting because you anti-Semitic dumbfucks are constantly using euphemisms to cover up your hatred of Jewish people for normies.

Exactly. No one really wants to memorize all that useless garbage, people only do it to impress others but no one is actually impressed by it. In short people make life harder for themselves by trying to impress people with something that no one finds impressive

>Perhaps you are just projecting because you anti-Semitic dumbfucks are constantly using euphemisms to cover up your hatred of Jewish people for normie
Sounds about right lol. Jow Forums is just an endless cycle of projecting your own thoughts onto others. Thats all they do. Thats why they're so obsessed with the idea of deception.

You can thank modern education. They're more interested in forcing people to write fluff on Leftism rather than actually achieving anything.

Attached: Please-climb-that-tree1.png (640x360, 332K)

Calling people of the Jewish persuasion a bunch of subversive supremacist greedy lying child-raping blood-drinking yid parasites is not a euphemism: it is a fact.

Attached: Capture+_2018-12-16-01-35-11_20181216013734235.jpg (715x662, 127K)

>the world of academia, just like every other field, only exists because of everyone who shared their work and studied the work of everyone else who shared it.
Right, people use each other's work to build a knowledge base that they can derive new ideas from, which they can then input into the system or do whatever they want with. An intelligent person doesn't simply have that knowledge base and do nothing with it except be proud of themselves for having it, or assume the authority of their favorite personalities and emulate discussions that those personalities have already had without offering new input. It's just really annoying when all you see is people quoting other people and not actually saying anything themselves. You can build off of someone else's thought processes without conforming entirely to them.

>Whatever happened in Western society the last 100 years, it made everyone a massive egotist.
Literally Capitalism and "looking out for #1" mentalities.

>Jews believe everything written in the Talmud hundreds of years ago
Yeah, and Christians as a monolithic entity believe every word of the Bible... Oh wait...

Kind of playing devil's advocate, but a lot of those complicated words are just ways that someone somewhere named something that hadn't been named before, and then smashed them together so that they had a word to express their ideas without having to go into a long exposition every time they needed to reference those things.

It's basically like a language that was built like any other language, but in more of a vacuum so there's less common understanding. I don't think I'm saying what I mean clearly enough, but it becomes less daunting when you think of them less as complicated words that only smart people know (which appeared out of nowhere just to be incomprehensible), and more as impromptu names for things that then grew into staple words in whichever field because they needed to be referenced often and built upon. For them it's actually more straightforward to speak in a way that to you is complicated because they've already gone through learning it from the ground up, I think.

I have a really hard time with that too, though.

actually now that i think about it some more, my problem is with people who rename things which creates confusion for me

I'm sure intellectuals talked like that back in the day too. They just knew better than to do it around proles like you.

Your just dumb op.

Oh and what I meant by the weirdo thing is that at one point, everyone whose ideas are now normal was someone who had an idea that wasn't normal- it was weird, at the time, and they were all weirdos for having weird ideas. When you remove the fluff around those people and the normalcy that we attach to them, you're left with something more human and accessible, and it's easier to think what they were thinking and understand their ideas.

I think it's because science and statistics took over and the natural poetry of philosophy is aesthetic now rather than meaningful like in the old times.