Can I fight this?

>Had a long paper due for my writing class
>Paper worth 30% of our grade
>Manage to write a 12 page paper
>After all my final edits ended up with a 10.5 page paper
>Really proud of my paper
>Page limit is 10 pages flat
>Have trouble finding ways to cut paper down even more than I had without making it read awkwardly
>Decide to just turn it in anyway thinking its not a big deal
>Get paper back today
>I got an F for going over the page limit
>Went from an A to a D
>Don't know what to do
Can I fight this? I know the page limit was 10 but this seems really harsh. I'm so sad right now.

Attached: why.png (495x169, 5K)

You're unlikely to win, but bring it up to the head of the related academic department.

Talk to the dean, maybe they can help you settle a dispute with the professor. Or just talk to the professor directly. If I may ask, what type of class was this for?

Sounds like your professor is a power tripping dickhead.

Why even ask, "can I fight this"? Obviously you should try to. Talk to the dean or head professor of the department like others said.

>taking a writing class
Enjoy your useless degree.

Stem degree holder here, writing is required. You would know if you were educated.

Must be an Ameriburger thing.

I know the pain user, liberal arts professors are some of the densest brainlets in existence... Just talk to the dean if you can

>STEM
>educated
>writing
>educated
a true education is in studio art or music

>10 page paper
Holy shit, is this normal? My highest so far in uni has been 6.

Just fuck your teacher, doggystyle; then put a gun to the back of their head and ask them very slowly to remind you what grade you got on your paper

is it not normal? I had to write three 12-page papers for an undergrad class this semester, and it was for a history of physics class.

Are... are you telling me non-Americans don't have to know how to write to get into STEM?

How the fuck do you do research papers then, you retard?

>what are research publications

Dispute that you should AT LEAST be graded for the first 10 pages.

Your prof is a dickhead

200 level Writing class.

...its not even my major, I just need the credits.

Attached: 1544898830709.jpg (1551x1080, 192K)

Lemme introduce you to the mind of a typical essay grader

>2-3 pages
Some will read it, most will just skim through it

>4-6 pages
They'll read your intro and the first couple of sentences of every paragraph

>7+ pages
They'll read the first sentence, your sources, and nothing else

t. TA for academic writing

Your teacher is an asshole. Talk to the head of your department about it. Unless you doubled the page limit you should get a non-failing grade on it.

Thanks for the insight and the digits

Attached: gif.gif (300x242, 1.78M)

Really? My bio professor last semester pored over every letter of the 15-page research papers. Like, measuring the margins with a caliper to make sure they're to spec. He was so anal I got a point off even though mine were custom edited in Word. It's a sloppy little community college too, but maybe that helps since you get actual PhDs teaching and not braindead TAs.

>teacher gives you instructions
>you fail them
>fails the assignment
>wow wtf

obviously your teacher is a power tripping dickhead like user said but what made you think exactly that the parameters in which the assignment must be completed, didn't apply? In the real world there are parameters in which you must complete a task, and if you can't complete it in those parameters then you pretty much fail.

further more,
I'd like to add that I totally relate to you OP, but your teacher probably is trying to filter out snowflakes trying to get away with never following instructions precisely or knowing who is in charge.

When I was in high school, I went to a special academy for film design that was really close knit. Now, I'm a really flamboyant femmy trap person so everybody there pretty much loved me and I was able to do whatever the fuck I want because I was so loud and expressive that I always was good at communicating and I knew my shit, always got the best scores in basic school etc etc

So since it was such a tight knit group where people have to get along, I was pretty much able to constantly bend the rules and get away with it as if I was some kind of fourth branch of government.

That shit doesn't always fly in the real world. Your essay may of been good, but you have to follow instructions or else there is absolutely no point in anybody hiring you or thinking you're useful. If you have no need for rules, then why aren't you successful on your own? Why even get a degree, why not just go work? You're gonna have to suck it up sometimes. Your teacher probably was just tired of dealing with kids like you thinking it's not a big deal to not follow instructions but if everybody thought that way, then nothing would get done.

kek found the eurotard

Attached: 1544486493676.png (329x244, 53K)

Actually in the real world, you're usually rewarded for doing extra work. The "don't follow instructions" thing only applies if you literally go against the grain and do whatever you want or you underperform. Overperforming is never punished, at worst you just don't get rewarded for it. Nobody complains when the doctor pulls an extra hour of overtime in the emergency room, nobody complains when the carpenter fixes a problem with your house free of charge just because he happened to notice it, nobody complains when the chef at a restaurant gives them slightly more food than what they expected.

In the real world you overperform and still fail. What matters is what's visible. A doctor that strictly follows the rules and records every bit of it is fine. One that goes above and beyond to use an experimental drug that saves a terminal patient's life goes to prison. Follow the letter of the law not the spirit, anything else leaves you vulnerable.

>Follow the letter of the law not the spirit
but then most of society goes and does the opposite of that and nothing makes sense anymore.

This. He wrote 5% more than what was asked for, that's nothing. Pretty much every professor I've ever met gives at least some leniency with writing more than what was asked. If he wrote under what was asked for, that's a different story.

Yeah I worked at a major university, where writing classes are usually 100+ people. Community colleges are a toss-up because nobody really cares about them anyway so the teachers can do whatever they want.

European undergrad STEM writing is absolutely appalling. This is something Americans do right.

OP the professor doesn't give a shit, you fucked up by going over.

>Actually in the real world, you're usually rewarded for doing extra work

tell that to the union

Unless they specifically said you would fail if you did that this is really unfair (and its still stupid even if they said that) I think anyone else in the university will take your side

The instructor is power tripping and wrong. If anyone has any semblance of integrity you can appeal it to someone and win easily. It's university though so it's a crapshoot.
Make an appointment with the ombudsman and discuss it, then the department head (but don't say mention the ombudsman). Be honest, direct, highlight why you think it's wrong, don't whine or threaten.

What did you do to get on your instructor's wrong side