Climbing

Any Climbers here? Post stats and advice. Plastic pulling stats are not considered valid.

>Hardest lead: 5.9/10 sport, 5.8/9 trad, WI3+ ice
>Climbing for how long: 2 years on/off with some elbow injuries
>Home crag: NH / the gunks
>Longest Climb: Royal Arches, 1400 ft/13 pitches
>goals for upcoming rock season: South Face Washington Column - to do an overnight big wall climb (Any advice?)

Attached: download.jpg (300x168, 11K)

Why the fuck do so many ppl on fit shill climbing when they climb 5.9. People can literally do that on their first time climbing. So fucking annoying this sport has been taken over by Instagram attention whores.
Btw boulderer hardest flash v9/7c hardest climb v13

Boulderers just post ur hardest boulder instead of hardest lead

lol I'd like to meet someone who can climb a gunks 5.9 on their first try.

Also just because you can climb something doesn't mean you can lead it on gear my dude.

>tfw no friends to climb with
>can't do lead climbing or anything with a belay
>can't do outdoors climbing
>can just do bouldering inside a gym
what do?

I feel u bro! Check mountainproject for partners and make friends at your gym you'll soon become part of the community!

if you want to go outside and lead with someone more experienced don't be afraid to hire a guide or take a class - i met a guy in my avalanche safety workshop and ended up climbing with him a lot.
if you know anyone more experienced to trad climb with offer to pay for gas and or beer or something

Lads I saw the movie about the guy that does free solo climbing and it honestly amazed me. I know you guys probably hate newbies like me, but where would you recommend I start; I've only done hiking in the past, no climbing. There is a climbing gym near me but I am a bit socially awkward so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to go alone. I still can't get over that movie though. That guy was pretty cool and I cannot fathom climbing El Capitan with ropes never mind without it.

people who hate newbs are just dicks nobody cares. Easiest way to get into it is buy a pair of shoes and get a gym membership. From there build relationships and learn to climb outside.

Do I need to have other people with me belay? I don't really know how it works. All I remember is rock climbing in middle school where there was a pulley as the top of the wall. Also, do I need shoes as an absolute beginner or should I buy them after a few months of practice?

Just boulder, that way you don't need anyone's help to belay.
Usually most climbing gyms will let you rent shoes, but if you plan to do it for a long time just buy shoes.

Always been a strong climber due to build.

Been climbing since November(18)

Currently best lead(indoor) is 6c+ (5.11c) current gym is boulder only so this is 2 months old.

Current best boulder is 6b+ or v4 on the verge of taking my first v5, probably April.

Basically just waiting on fingers to catch up, only indoor climbs so far, live in southern Sweden so not too many great walls that I’ve seen.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!

If you’re serious just buy shoes, make sure you buy proper ones tho, so many tards buy La Sportiva (great shoes) but only because that’s what was recommended then they slip off toeholds because their shoes don’t fit properly.

Also just go climb. You only need friends if you’re belaying. Bouldering is solo tho and some gyms have autobelays

Thanks for the advice! I think I am going to take the intro course at the local gym this weekend.

expect to drop a few grades when climbing outside. As I stated I can lead 5.9 on gear but indoors I can lead 5.11c

Yeah, that’s what I’m expecting, gonna look into if there’s any walls near me that you can plummit safely into water if you slip. Seems fun, and not in the mood to buy a bunch of equipment before I know I like outdoor

Can someone break this shit down please. I would like to understand what is happening in this thread

Basically theres difficulty grades in climbing.
V grades (i.e) V0, V13 refer to bouldering (Short climbs without ropes 20 ft tall max)
5.X grades (i.e) 5.10, 5.9, 5.11 refer to long rock climbs
WI grades refer to Ice climbs

Leading/toprope/following/Trad/sport all refer to different rope systems that can be used and have varying degrees of safety and are used in different situations.

Yeah indoors I boulder V8s and V9s, outdoor ive only sent a V6.

I started bouldering in the fall of 2016 and climbed my first v8 outdoors in the spring of 2018. I've come close to a couple V9's but have injured the A2 on my right middle finger so I've pretty much taken the last 2 months off. Hopefully it'll heal up in time for the fall season.

A huge amount of rock climbing gyms have a few auto belay machines so you don't need a belayer. You can't do all the walls, but you get to do a few. Bouldering is the shit though

>can boulder 6b/6c
>can't lead 6a

;_;