I can join either a judo club or a kickboxing club (no better choices in my area at the moment)

I can join either a judo club or a kickboxing club (no better choices in my area at the moment).

What's the best Jow Forums combat sport?

Attached: title.png (605x434, 455K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Traditional judo is kinda gay, if it was BJJ I’d say go for it 100%. If you’re just trying to learn how to defend yourself or trying to lean down I’d go with kickboxing.

Attached: 621FAB32-578E-46DB-B1D9-C2D76CB3F349.png (799x572, 123K)

Honestly both would be fine and fun.

What appeals to you more, learning how to grab someone and slam them to the ground, or punch/kick them to the ground?

Also, would you prefer repeatedly getting punched/kicked or thrown onto the ground. Pick your poison and have fun OP

Kickboxing.
Some judo techniques are tricky without the gi and you don’t wanna get that close to whatever smelly degenerate is trying to hassle you.

Personally I'm more of a judo guy, but kickboxing is probably smarter

Do kick boxing first

judo next

It completely depends on your preference.
Both will let you win against some untrained, unarmed asshole that tries to fight you.
I train both kickboxing and bjj, but I strongly prefer bjj. Some people I know are the opposite and are just naturally inclined toward striking.
Find what your preference is, stick with it, and when/if you can branch out do it.

Kickboxer is my favorite movie. I've never seen Judo but it sounds like something a fruit like Statham would star in

Do they offer bjj at the Judo club?

Honestly do both if you can afford the membership,
if you have pick just one do bjj

Kickboxing will get you used to actually being hit, so that.

(traditional boxing is more fun though)

Both work just fine. I like grappling more because you can spar at almost 100% intensity, striking not so much unless you don't care about your brain. At the same time tho, I absolutely hate the GI so out of those two I'd take kickboxing and maybe skip sparring or try finding a pair that goes super light. Personally I'm most interested in submission wrestling and some light MMA training.

You can hold your own against multiple niggers with striking but good luck grappling anything more than 1v1.

I saw it for the first time recently, bretty good. Tong Po was great, but there was disappointingly little Muay Thai from van Damme. Lots of flicky kicks, no clinchwork, etc.

McGregor makes me want to take the twink pill. His body is aesthetic as fuck even though he weighs like a buck 70.

Anyone know of or willing to shill a decent gym in Dallas?

i think doing a clean judo throw on someone is one of the most aesthetic looking attacks. being really good at falling is more useful than being used to struck at without blinking, imo. you can do more physical comedy and fuck around if you know you can safely fall while doing dumb shit. also I'm pretty sure as a sport you're less likely to get CTE from judo than kickboxing.

don't forget, these are sports not actual fighting.

Attached: judo.jpg (1280x720, 351K)

Do both if you can, I would do the Judo for a year or two and then move to kickboxing. I've done some boxing and MT and I really love striking but I want to spend a year or so doing Judo. I have a lot of respect for Judo after getting thrown in a parking lot. I honestly don't even know how long I was out for. I woke up in bed maybe a day later and my head and back were in a lot of pain for at least a few days.

For me, it's Jiu-Jitsu.

Attached: dean lister.jpg (1200x800, 116K)

You should check out Bloodsport if you haven't.

> mcgregor
> barely has abs at starvation mode 145lbs
> aesthethic

big nope from me brothaman. Hes got some of the worst aesthetics in the game. Nice leg development for his weight class, but shit upperbody and shit definition.

fag shit, same with wrestling

Wiz Khalifa looked like a twink until he did Kickboxing, now he looks pr

Whichever you enjoy more

For me its boxing. Semi-related but does anyone have any pointers for keeping your hands up? I got my ass kicked in sparring today because my shoulders and arms dropped out by the 3rd round. Honestly just tempted to just tape my hands to my head and learn that way, but I'd rather use that as a last resort

Attached: 1551140723274.jpg (720x589, 41K)

I tried Taekwando as a kid but tried boxing in my later teens. Might try Krav Maga because my friend kept shilling it, it's free though so I got nothing to lose really.

>i think doing a clean judo throw on someone is one of the most aesthetic looking attacks
it's also a good way of turning a potentially minor altercation into a severe concussion or a broken neck and jail time
>you're less likely to get CTE from judo than kickboxing.
even though you're getting more frequent hits to the head in kickboxing, the concussions people get in judo are usually much more severe than boxing or kickboxing

I do both Judo and Muay Thai, along with other martial arts.

Judos gonna put alot more pressure on the joints, emphasis on perfecting techniques, a lot of gymnastic type moves.

The Kickboxing also depends on how normie the kickboxing club is (if they allow elbows, knees, some don't even allow leg kicks). Its gonna be more cardio focused.

If youre a casual that doesn't know about either, should probably just go kickboxing.

I'd take the kickboxing class, however it's not so much about the sport than it is about the place or rather the master you're learning from.
When I went to a kickboxing class back then it was mostly self defense and workout stuff, only little sparring and teaching form/movement and so on.

>the concussions people get in judo are usually much more severe than boxing or kickboxing
They're really really rare
> turning a potentially minor altercation into a severe concussion or a broken neck and jail time
Again really rare, and depends on the throw

once you get hit enough you'll learn to keep them up at all times.
Also dropping them by 3rd round is probably just an endurance issue.

It becomes habit, and gets conditioned, after you always keep them up when hitting the bag or mits. Keep your shoulders loose. Should also try shadow boxing with weights if you aren't already.

BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai
The best 3 you need to be well rounded.
If you could have wrestled in HS that wouldve been good too.

Attached: 1548480739137.jpg (736x736, 79K)

>judo is gay
>recommends BJJ
Buttscooters pls go

You need some type of stand up grappling in your game to be well rounded.
Thats why you see wrestlers, and people with good takedown defence dominating MMA, they can dictate where the fight goes depending on their strengths.

well like I said wrestling in HS would be ideal, its hard for a grown man to find a wrestling club

I would say replacing wrestling with any one of those other 3 would be better, and then adding the 4th is ideal.
Most MMA and BJJ clubs usually have some type of wrestling/judo/etc classes.

My point was most schools have wrestling, ive never heard of schools having the other 3. I didnt mean you shouldnt start them from a young age just that itd be outside of school.

Judo is neat but alone it's not great.
BJJ alone is a little better and striking alone is useless unless you're larger than average (imo).
If you're a big dude, go with kickboxing, if you're a manlet with no fight experience, go kickboxing.
I think it's very important to know what it feels like to be punched in the face and leg kicked and to still be able to think through a fight.
If you're a manlet but have fight experience and know what that pressure feels like, go judo.

Ideally you would do both

As many anons have said, both would be great.

I'm biased, I do kickboxing and traditional boxing. Used to wrestle, have done a few bjj/judo classes, have a few good friends that are nasty at bjj.

I would say kickboxing.The thing with martial arts is that experience is exponential. Normies dont realize this. Being a trained striker or grappler, you will fuck up 99% of untrained people. But with kickboxing, your beginner stage will last longer. It might be months before you can throw a decent kick. Learning distance and setting up kicks with punches (more dutch style) is one of the greatest things to learn in case of a street fight, but will take you a long time to be consistent with.

With judo/bjj, you will be a helpless beginner for a shorter period of time, meaning you could probably pick it up later in your martial arts career/hobby. I'm not saying its easier (certainly isn't), but it takes less time to be better than an untrained normie.

totally throwing out arbitrary numbers here, but it'll take you like ~6 months of striking to stand head and shoulders above untrained folk. It might take 2-3 months of grappling to be above untrained people. Probably just because the average person is fucking retarded and out of shape and has no idea how to even begin to grapple.

Kickboxing is a pretty broad term. Is it K1 style? Dutch? Muay Thai? Points Kickboxing? What specific style is it?

Literally all you have to do is go and look at the pictures of him before tattoos retard. Everybody knows tattoos kill definition

Attached: mcgregnotat.jpg (851x1227, 125K)

BJJ is judo but without the gay rules like not attacking the legs.

Attached: d04.png (478x523, 24K)

Boxing + wrestling. Bjj is good, but too gay.
>tfw no gf

Attached: e4e9a79e6314fac6fabfb7e5a60227b3.jpg (570x855, 270K)

Either, what do you want to do?

Attached: blet.png (406x452, 30K)

>you're less likely to get CTE from judo than kickboxing
Not relevant for hobbyists unless they're going to chute boxe in 2003, stop propping up CTE hysteria.

SCOOPMOGGED

Attached: alvarez_aoki_1.gif (384x288, 1.52M)

BJJ is like judo groundwork except it completely forgot the part that to actually use ground work you have to have takedowns or throws worth shit. I have yet to find a BJJ plqce that doesn’t fo crap like starting on the ground or have a shit standup game

Where do you live?

Attached: fit martal art.png (1406x4000, 2.94M)

>What's the best Jow Forums combat sport?
Panzer Kunst
You have to be a robot to be good at it though

Judo falls behind BJJ for MMA, but if you have the time, do train it.
We have this guy on the mat that is judoka and he throws me around like I'm a ragdoll when we start from standing position (randori), he even had the courtesy of showing me how to fall.

no martial art is reliable in teaching defense against > 1 attackers, not even boxing, you can't manage distance against 2 attackers or more,
Just block, duck and run.

take Sprint classes for that

everyone who shits on grappling and BJJ has never been in a real fight

This pic hurt my meniscus, acl, mcl and pcl .
The amount of concussion, most undiagnosed in judo and wrestling is astonishing since it often happen to youngsters.
Fittest, those with actual full contact sparring. This is were it actually does shit for you.
I'd go for judo then kb, but try both and chose the one you like.

Attached: 1458628545771.gif (360x202, 1.55M)

Agreed

Attached: 1496692913891.png (544x421, 488K)

boxing + greco-roman wrestling
muay thai + BJJ
Catch wrestling

No one gets concussed from judo or wrestling.

You obviously don't do either. There are concussions all over the place in wrestling.

>Traditional judo is kinda gay
Projecting pretty hard there user

Attached: Kyuzo Mifune.jpg (500x594, 232K)

Between the two, it'd probably be kickboxing. That's coming from a BJJ guy too. Kickboxing sparring is so fucking cool it's absurd.

Attached: 1535492919301.jpg (928x522, 44K)

>be me
>highschool wrestling chad
>join bjj club cause no wrestling club at my uni
>get murdered for two months, make some changes, start genociding every member of the club except the black belt
>be today see virgin akido club practicing
>decide make friends
>ask what akido is
>instructor offers to show me
>proceeds to submit me several different ways
>finishes with a leg powered kimura that hurt more than anything I have ever felt in bjj
>holds onto it for a solid minute after I tap while walking me through everything
>shoulder/elbow/wrist hurts like hell now and I can barely lift my arm

Looks like I'm going to learn akido boys, all hail our akido chad overlords. In all seriousness though, I let him in on the submissions without resistance for demonstration but in the 5 minute period he was showing it I forgot to pay attention to how he did it in favor of paying attention to the weird tearing sensation in my shoulder. Is it actually usefull in an equal combat situation or is it a demonstration only thing? I would love to work that into my bjj if possible.

yeah buddy

>Modern highschool wrestler
>Not fully aware of BJJs bullshit

Nice LARP BJJ and Akido shill.

Wrestling concussions come from cutting weight, as a 287 who weighed 240 I only ever got three concussions, and two were minor enough that I managed to hide them from the trainer.

Aikido doesn't work in a real fight and is one of the most trashed types of fighting you'll ever encounter in any martial arts forum online or offline.

whats the difference between muay thai and all that other similar shit
thinking of taking it when i start my cut

i believe mcgreggor does Traditional British Boxing (TBB) which is in my opinion superior to Western Boxing. I believe he even sparred for Her Majesty.

Attached: 1549779947738.jpg (304x366, 32K)

>that other similar shit
like what?

kickboxing? shit that uses both feet and hands

I’m trying to join a boxing class. What does Jow Forums think of boxing?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

I know the reputation it has, but I have never felt that much pain from a submission before in my life. Clearly something in it worked, I just don't know if it would work against a resisting opponent or not because I quite honestly was paying more attention to trying keep all my joints in one piece than figuring out how he did it. Best I can figure he started with a kimura from my back and transitioned into some kind of funky standing omaplata type position, but neither of those things help me out with how he got my wrist/elbow so god damned tight, which is what I really want to know.
What bjj bullshit? The only time we ever talked about submissions in wrestling was the chicken wing/kimura and how to sneak in a few blood chokes without the ref calling potentially dangerous, neither of which does fuck all for teaching defense from gi chokes or triangle defense which is what I got caught in the vast majority of the time when I started bjj. Make no mistake I still believe wrestling to be the superior grappling style due to it's intensity and the grind mentality that I don't find in many bjj kids, but a strict wrestler will always get caught by bjj subs until they learn some submission defense.

The place I go to does takedowns and submissions about 50/50

its based

Muay thai has elbows, knees and clinch work

>traditional judo is kinda gay
>recommends BJJ which involves way more man on man rolling around on the ground action

Daily reminder that pulling guard is not a takedown

>pointers for keeping your hands up

Keep your hands up retard.

On a real note practice your punches in front of a mirror. Make sure when you throw them your punching arm has your shoulier up to protect your chin and your other arm is protecting the opposite side of your head. Keeping your shoulders up by your chin is essential to prevent counter hooks.

do muay thai + bjj or ur a noob

Manga panzer kunst.
Movie panzer kunst is just some shitty chinese inspired abomination where she fights like a dude.

>the concussions people get in judo

Break fall correctly and it's irrelevant. 99.9% of people who get concussions in judo tried to fight a fall instead of breaking it.

force yourself to do it and it'll become a habit
i trained kickboxing for almost 10 years, & even though it's been years since i last trained, I still kept the habit of keeping my hands up

>Wrestling concussions come from cutting weight,
Are you fucking retarded?
Concussions come from being slammed on the fucking ground. A common thing in wrestling.
Getting slammed on the ground will cause a bigger concussion then merely being punched in the face or kicked.

did you guys know just how shart collin mcgreggor actually is?

hes a actual leprocan

Attached: short.png (704x1062, 1.44M)

>What bjj bullshit? The only time we ever talked about submissions in wrestling was the chicken wing/kimura

>Calling the chicken wing the kimura
>Thinking anyone outside of BJJ shills calls that move the fucking kimura.

Average highschool wrestler has seen everything the BJJ fags have to offer during an MMA match on tv or online or when they are horing around.
They don't fuck around with submissions.
They use their superior ability to get in close then slam you on the ground while ignoring your retarded please get on top of me bullshit.

If a highschool wrestler steps foot into a BJJ gym he can demolish everyone except the masters who've spent time getting raped by wrestlers and was forced to crosstrain in wrestling like all BJJ guys to at least have a fighting chance.

I posted an ad for a sparring partner on craigslist and I've somehow ended up in an underground fighting tournament, be careful out there boys.

Attached: Screenshot_20190320-214116_Messages.jpg (1080x2280, 587K)

Zdeno Chára is 6'9" plus hes on skates. McGregor's like 5'8" so still a manlet

I do kickboxing, BJJ and nogi
Start with kickboxing, most fights can end up standing up pretty fast with kickboxing
Then add a ground tool like wrestling/nogi or BJJ

What is the point in doing combat sports?

noted. I still want to learn how to do it, not necessarily box competitively.

That's one thing and sounds decent. The vast majority of BJJ places start on the ground which is gay as fuck.

It’s one giant cope

given your options probably kickboxing
wrestling is probably the best Jow Forums combat sport though instead of weights youre picking up dudes (no homo) instead

Fun things are fun
>lifting is a cope
>sports are a cope
>anything I don’t like is a cope
Cope harder

I'm honestly tempted in between my lifting sets to tie one hand to my head and just practice jabbing for 3 minutes, and then on the next rest period switch.

>average freestyle wrestler
>not walking into guillotine every takedown
Freestyle wrestlers don’t guard their necks worth shit.

I prefer wrestling takedowns to Judo takedowns.

>every highschool wrestlers watches ufc in his free time and simply by watching tape is able to learn enough submission defense to avoid being submitted by someone who spends his entire time on the mats training submissions
>wrestlers continuously slam to escape submissions after being warned not to slam to escape submissions

>If a highschool wrestler steps foot into a BJJ gym he can demolish everyone except the masters who've spent time getting raped by wrestlers and was forced to crosstrain in wrestling like all BJJ guys to at least have a fighting chance.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your story. You were a ~500 wrestler from a no name school in a no name conference who thought wrestling would make you into some elite mma fighter so you watched a bunch of ufc clips on YouTube and decided to walk into a bjj gym. After slamming 2-3 white belts who quite frankly you were more athletic than do to your 4 years of wrestling before you were asked to leave. Now you shit on bjj and remember back to your highschool days when you almost made it to the podium in your pathetic little conference. Either that or you were a 4 time state champion who went on to be a d1 wrestler and an all American, we see that a lot on this forum.

A highschool wrestler can and will ragdoll all white belts and most blue belts because they are on the average more athletic than them. The problem is that pins don't exist in bjj so all that ragdolling is for naught the one time their partner gets lucky and catches any of the thousands of submissions the wrestler doesn't know exists. I've been there and so has every other wrestler who has ever taken up submissionn grappling. The fact that you can't understand this is a huge indicator that you are talking out your ass.

At what point did you start doing one then the other? I’ve been doing BJJ for a couple years and I’ve been thinking of doing MT since they offer it as well and are very credible.

honestly if you feel like it'll help, then go for it brah
in martial arts, if it works, it works

Attached: IMG_20190127_173252_471.jpg (320x484, 18K)

BJJ looks cool but it’s probably useless in a street fight.
Not only because you are in danger of getting stomped by surrounding dudes, but also because they don’t seem to practice at all how to defend against strikes when mounted. All they care about is not getting submitted, so when a dude is chilling on top of them they just chill as well - in real life the dude on top would just smash your fucking head in.