Front squat vs back squat

Front squat vs back squat
Any major differences or advantages to one or the other?

Attached: image.jpg (350x337, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2B2LWHlhqNA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Front Squats are a good lift for the anterior chain (quads, abs, delts) and are a good way to get more squatting in as they are different enough from back Squats that you can do them as an accessory on the days you might deadlift or wouldn't otherwise be squatting.

It's more important to hit a good depth on them as opposed to a back squat if you want it's full benefits and don't want to waste your time.

So fronts and backs hit the same muscles.?

Yeah but it's a different kinetic chain providing the force in each. The difference is great enough you can back squat one day and front squat the next and repeat untill rest days. If you're squatting less than three plates you should be back squatting at least twice if not three times a week though.

Not op but I do deadlift and front squats only, is there much need for back squats for me? Are there any important muscle groups i dont hit this way?

I have shit ankle mobility - like REALLY shit, to the point that my ability to frontsquat is really impaired and I usually end up curving my back forward (shoulder flexibility is also rubbish).

is there anything (other than working on improving moblity) that you'd recommend so I can do front squats - i find the core work from frontsquats to be really challenging compared to back squats so want to start doing them.

I like the way that fronts squats choke me, but I think back squats are a better main lift.

Do you have weightlifting shoes?

Attached: 1510778246538.png (400x364, 33K)

I don't know why people keep saying front squats hit abs, I don't feel that. What I do feel is my back getting obliterated, in the best way possible
And if my back isn't the limiting factor, shoulders will be. I refuse to believe they're not trained.

Anyway, thoughts on overhead squat? Feels extremely intense, even with a few reps with an empty bar. Possibly the best back extensor exercise

Put plates under your feet. Helped me. When I got to 3pl8s ankle mobility kinda fixed itself.

Back squat:
>Uses more muscle mass
>Can lift more weight (and thus progress faster/further)
>Usually requires only normal mobility

Front squat:
>Trains the catch position for the clean

do both

Can zercher squats substitute front squat? I have bad mobility in my wrists, and if i put it resting on shoulders and cross arms like op picrel it hurts my shoulders

Try a wider grip or straps (put the strap around the bar instead of your wrist and hold the ends with your hands).
Zercher are even harder to load because there's not much padding on the inside of your elbows

Same. I got weightlifting shoes because picture related condition I have, but even that wasn't enough so I took them to a cobbler and he added an extra inch heel on the left one and an extra inch flat on the right.
Looks goofy as fuck but never felt better squatting in my life.
>tfw you realise three years of physio and stretching could have been fixed for $35.

Attached: bonitis.jpg (666x385, 38K)

Idk if my gym has straps, dunno if i would buy them just for this exercise, zercher also kinda hurt when i loaded 1 plate but its bearable with that pillow thingy you wrap around the barbell.
What i meant is, does zercher activate same muscles as front squat?

Front squats require less wrist mobility than push-ups.
The typical limitations are in your back and lats.
youtube.com/watch?v=2B2LWHlhqNA

Front squats put way more emphasis on knee flexion and extension since the bar is in front of you and therefor hip extension is limited. In back squat the bar is on your back so you're able to use both knees and hips to move the bar which allows for more wieght since you're using more muscles.

Tl:dr: Front squats hits quads more than back squats, but back squats hits more muscles.

>back squat: simple, effective
>front squat: look at me I'm so special I'm doing this basic movement but with the bar in front because I'm a snowflake and love to over complicate shit muh quad activation also I suck penis

Sounds to me like you're coping for your shit morphology and can't even FS the bar lmao

Can you guys redpill me on overhead squats? I've just started supplementing my squat routine with overhead squats to develop the thoracic spine area (overloading extension).
I've started to look into it after doing physical therapy exercises after a neck injury (cervical spine hyperflexion i.e. got spiked in wrestling).

A challenger appears!

Attached: 284_2.jpg (275x275, 17K)