What is a cheap dinner food relative to what cereal is to breakfast? trying to budget hardcore

what is a cheap dinner food relative to what cereal is to breakfast? trying to budget hardcore.

cereal costs $5 where i live to get a box
this box makes at least 15-20 breakfasts
thats 25-33 cents per breakfast meal

i know ramen noodles can go as low as 20 cents per meal but that shit is unhealthy
breakfast cereal is healthy, however.

is there truly an equivalent? the lowest I can get a healthy meal down to is $2-3 per day. I'm not stingy, just really poor.

Attached: cereal.jpg (1200x800, 160K)

what are you saving for cereal brother

My favorite is a can of chili and rice. Can is ~$1 the rice is probably $0.10. 3/4th cup. Make the rice then just dump the can in it will heat it. 1-2 mins prep, wait for 15~20 mins (in pressure cooker), done. Also enjoy spaghetti. Both of those have some meat and veggies + grains for most of the calories (cheap part)

Pasta. A pasta dish with homemade sauce can cost you as little as $1 per meal if you buy stuff in bulk.

Just eat your dads dick

Try rice or oats.

>i know ramen noodles can go as low as 20 cents per meal but that shit is unhealthy
>breakfast cereal is healthy, however.
I can't believe you actually think this. Do you understand what carbs are?

Attached: 1521818069270.jpg (400x269, 60K)

meat is my worst enemy right now. it is the most expensive food in my country, and I live in a native-english speaking first world country

piss off retard
gz on kinda sorta learning what a carb is though

Just have a different cereal. Nothing wrong with cereal for dinner.

Thank god im in the comfy midwest. I buy bulk groundbeef for like $2/lb here and add it to noodles sometimes. Wouldnt think that chili or spaghetti sauce with some meat in it gets that expensive though, is it?

Just post the in store prices and the horror will end.

op here, its relitavely healthy as in most people eat it and are okay, in comparison to noodles
someone who only eats noodles for dinner every night is not going to healthy
but somebody who eats cereal for breakfast every morning will be fine

Drink milk origi

Beans or lentils with rice and a serving of whatever happens to be the cheapest seasonal cruciferous vegetable. Very cheap and healthy.

Buy tuna in bulk, like 1kg can of tuna in onions oil, where I live it costs about 5$. Then buy rice which costs next to nothing(1$ for a kilogram) and a package of tomato sauce which costs about 70 cents. This will round up to about 7 dollars. Boil the rice and mix it with 150-200g of tuna and a little bit of tomato sauce and you have a delicious meal balanced with carbs protein and healthy fats. With 7 dollars you will have about 6 meals.

dont tell me you buy frozen beans

I meant onions oil. Brainfart. You can also mix a single carrot with the whole thing or just eat a single raw carrot with the meal.

$8 for a chicken fillet
or same price for 3 hamburger patties
$12 for 500g of mince meat
it is often cheaper to buy burger meat and use it as mince
sometimes i get lucky and find a deal like 20 sausages for $8, but that is only when lucky - that lasts me a while
also $1 here = $1.4 US dollar
yikes

does beans work as good substitute for meat?

this is good idea, thank you. completely forgot tuna is a thing and although i dont like it, it doesn't taste half-bad for me - its doable.

Lentils are a dollar a pound. Rice is like $2/lb. Toss em together in a rice cooker and you've got protein and carbs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Use stock whenever you want to splurge.

lmao what a basedboy

Holy crap what shithole do you live in? I feel bad for you. Unless you live in a big city then go fuck yourself you deserve it. But as another user said beans/lentils + rice + veggies would be a good idea.

OP clearly isn't some autistic bodybuilder who gives a shit about hitting his macros, he just wants cheap meals that aren't loaded with sodium. He eat oats instead, but if survival is your key goal then why bother.

i do live in a city, down under
we have high import costs to our cunt-ry
so everything is expensive everywhere unless you live in the cunt-ry side where meat is made.
i have to live in the city to save money on public transport to get to college. rent is the same cost in suburbia with the added bonus of having less public transport access to... everything

I can only speak for the areas of the U.S. I've lived in, but raw oats seems to be rather cheap everywhere. Simply cook those with a bit of vanilla or almond extract and some milk (or water to save money), and add fruit--frozen is cheaper. Don't buy oatmeal prepackaged with seasonings, it's all sugar and unhealthy, and will not fill you up. Breakfast cereal is not typically very healthy, because it's loads of sugar and digests quickly, leaving you hungry until lunch.

I hope your financial situation improves.

Carbs are not the enemy by any means--filler, added sugar, growth hormones, excessive saturated fat, and excessive sodium are.

If possible, try to buy meat scraps from a butcher if you live near one. Not only is it super cheap, you can use the scraps for things like stews and pet food, if you have pets. I feed my cats nothing but cooked scrap meat.

I'd like to also say that you don't have to shy away from canned beans/vegetables. It's sometimes cheaper and usually just as healthy, unless steeped in oil or salt. Same thing goes for frozen. I would recommend buying fruit fresh or frozen as opposed to canned, because even though it might be a tad more expensive, canned fruit usually comes in extremely sugary liquid.

Rice is usually the cheapest thing you can buy per ounce that's healthy. Get whole grain if it's not too much more expensive and try to make it the base for much of your meals. I checked my local Walmart, and you can get 3 32 oz packages of rice for 4 dollars, which should last you a week.

Not sure if any of this is useful, but I hope it is!

don't eat too much tuna.

30 something Ausfag here. Go rice and pasta for bulk energy. Dried legumes are great at satisfyingly filling you up. Get to know your spiced and herbs. I strongly recommend learning some vegetarian Indian cooking. Find an actual local market (not a bullshit farmers market) and visit it Kim the last half hour of trade you will be able to get lower quality vegetable produce for next to nothing.

based redpilled this thx yeah what he said

Attached: apu behind.jpg (200x194, 3K)

On a budget, these are the things you should be buying:
>canned vegetables
>romaine lettuce + cabbage
>brown rice
>lentils
>black beans
>frozen fruit
>chicken + turkey
>eggs
>canned tuna
>canned soup (only sometimes)
>leftover money should go towards sauces, preferably homemade or organic, so you don't bore yourself to death with the lack of flavors
Under no circumstances should you be buying:
>fruit juice
>alcohol
>hot dogs
>candy
>lunch meat
>canned fruit
>beef not on sale
>cereal
>ramen
Some misc. items to consider checking the price out to see if you can fit them into your budget, or possibly even make them yourself:
>sauerkraut/kimchi
>honey
>tikka masala sauce
>enchilada sauce
>tortillas
>peanut butter

>recommending worthless carbs

Get cheap cuts like thighs and leg quarters and go zero carb nigger

oats
potatos
eggs
SARDINES, fuck tuna.
beans
rice
peanut butter
whatever cheap frozen vegetable you can get

>go zero carb
This is setting you up for some serious dietary issues. Cutting out any main part of the human diet is a bad idea.

Source: Professional chef who spent 8 years studying nutrition and cooking.

And who's the authority of what "the human diet" consists of?

It's hard to know what to recommend exactly without knowing your local market. Go to the store with a pen and paper, and a calculator. Take some notes. Figure out which foods have the best calorie to cost ratio and their relative nutritional value. Then go to another store and repeat. Compare your results and figure out what satisfies your nutrition profile for the lowest price. Then talk to your doctor about it next time you see him to make sure you're not missing anything important.

Dietitians, scientists, you know...people who know more than the average Jow Forums user.

The human body is extremely adaptable, and that is our main advantage in life. That being said, things like the ketogenic diet are not sustainable. It's alright to do something like that short term, but long term you will have problems.

Attached: 1539975092989.gif (268x185, 1.17M)

chicken wininiginish

Gay and fake news but ok lad

What do you think the ideal diet for a human is? ...Don't say mammoth meat.

Lots of unappetizing forages greens, a little bit of fruit (very nice) and one or two small animals or fish a week.

I'm just saying, there are people on carnivore for decades. You can get all your nutrients from meat and fat. Carbs are worthless.

>things like the ketogenic diet are not sustainable.

So what grains and sugars were our ancestors eating before the invention of agriculture roughly 10,000 years ago?

Of course they would eat fruits in the warm season, but in temperate climates fruit is only available for a few months a year.

Aside from that it's some herbaceous plants, fatty meat, a few nuts/mushrooms, and periods of fasting.

>sardines
based sardineposter

Attached: 1543621802465.jpg (940x528, 66K)

If you wanna actually go cheap, red lentils, canned tomato, spices, in season vegetables. Make bulk and freeze. Maybe fry an egg as side.