Fuck high-bar squats

Why the fuck would you ever high-bar squat, when low-bar and front squats exist?
>Low-bar: superior posterior chain activation, including the lower back
>Front squat: better to isolate involvement from the glutes and adductors, as well as working the upper back and core
>High-bar: worse, less complete posterior chain activation and less lower back involvement than low-bar, without radically changing the movement enough to work the muscles in the front squat effectively
>inb4 "low-bar is for fat coping powerlifters"
The front squat is more impressive than some useless high-bar squat

Attached: serveimage(4).jpg (2152x1396, 250K)

By your logic, why would you low bar squat when the high bar squat and deadlift exists?

Even if you were to skip low-bar squats in favour of high-bar, you'd be better off doing front squats and deadlifts
Hate on low-bar if you want, but that still leaves high-bar as an inferior exercise to the front squat

i high bar because my lower back is sensitive. used to front squat but it strains the head of my hams. still love it though.

tl;dr dont let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

This whole post is opinion....

Attached: 1428447833773.jpg (300x191, 13K)

I'm an olyfag I do front squats and high bar. Their purpose is totally different.
High bar is for leg strength and front squat is for stability of the core, upper back, shoulders and legs and has the best carryover to the clean.

weightlifting is inherently the most based form of strength sports

Been trying to train my friend how to squat, and he can't get into lowbar position without impinging his shoulders for some crazy reason. He wants to highbar squat, but his form is awful and we've been unable to fix it for a month; he falls forward coming back up and his knees cave in at any amount of weight.

So now I've got him front squatting and now he's complaining that it hurts his collarbone, and that he's not getting any glute activation, which is the whole reason he wanted to squat in the first place (he's homo).

What the fuck do I do for this guy? Do I tell him to stop being a whiny bitch and just grind it out with front squats, do I keep trying to correct his highbar form, or do I tell him to fuck off and that he's on his own because I can't goldilocks his squats?

Wouldn't low bar be more effective for leg strength though?

if you take the attitude of "fuck a certain movement" you should analyze why you truly hold that belief.
Really take a second and be honest with yourself, why dont you like high bar squats? is it because it is a flawed movement that is incompatible with your morphology? probably not, given that you talk so highly of front squats. It is probably a combination of you being forced to lift less weight, and doing something that you are comparatively worse at, so you choose to justify it as being inferior.
If you want to be successful in lifting, you need to do things that you suck at.Doing movements that you are weakest in provide the greatest gains in terms of investment of time. if you are completely unwilling to high bar squat that doesn't mean you are gonna have small legs, or be weak, but it is likely that the mentality of not doing things you dont like is going to limit your potential development.
Really think about it user. do you want to be a sick cunt? Live your life by your own standards, but do not lie to yourself. everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna do the shit they hate that they know will make them better.

fuarkin great post

go down in weight bro lol
make him squat with the fuckin bar until he understands how a squat feels

Tfw squatting with a bar is harder than with plates on.

it's about training lifts that have similar mechanics to the competition lifts

To be honest, "fuck high bar squats" was inflammatory bait to get discussion going, but while I get your point, I really don't see the need for high-bar in your programming (besides injuries or flexibility issues like some anons mentioned) when low-bar and front squats fill more specific niches
On that note, I also believe that high intensity walking and sprinting are both superior alternatives to jogging as well, due to the same idea of specialization

I find that too. With almost no weights on the bar, it's impossible to get all the way down.

Give him a dumbbell and make him do goblet squats.

Neither has any superior anything activation except for certainly areas of your spinal erectors. Any other statement is factually incorrect. Weightlifters squat highbar and only squat deep highbar because it more accurately mimics the catch position for the clean and snatch than lowbar would. Most powerlifters squat highbar because most powerlifters move more weight lowbar through benefit of the shortened lever arm or torso.

Low bar squats aren't a one-size-fits-all movement (there is no such thing). They cause shoulder and hip problems for certain people.

We tried that and it didn't help. What I found was 1) squatting with the empty bar doesn't allow for correct form because your center of gravity isn't shifted enough to get the form correct without losing balance, and 2) he still fucking tracks forward on the way up.

that might just be what I get him doing next. If he complains about those I'm gonna wash my hands of him.

Upper back strength can become a limiting factor for the Front Squat, it's also harder to progress with (partiall due to the aforementioned)
A better question is why train low-bar? Highbar/Front train your legs a lot better (look at studies), and you can just do deadlifts for back/hammies

Goblet squats then squat with the bar.

For what are you specializing in? If you compete in a sport i understand the need for specificity, but overwhelmingly general exercises have greater efficacy. the more specific the exercise, the lower the carryover to other exercises, and the lower the result gain.
I think that you are correct that low-bar and front squats provide a effectively complete training stimulus in terms of hip dominant and knee dominant squatting motions.

I don't like low bar squats because they make my hips feel weird and I like a narrower stance. I don't like front squats because I have to reduce the weight and I don't want my upper back to be the limiting factor. Overall high bar is the most comfortable for me and it's the one where I can go deep and push a lot of weight. Different people have different bodies and what may be comfortable for me may not be for someone else.